• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

JeTmAn81

I've decided I would like to be able to play all the characters in the game (poorly). I am going to try to learn at least a B&B with each.

LakeEarth

That's not gimmicky... that's how you play Nemesis! Pretty sure that's like a real Nemesis team that Airtola uses as Nemesis gets some extension with Taskmaster arrows.

I agree, jump back down-tentacle and rocket + forward assist is a good Nemesis neutral game strategy. That way, you push them away, the assist prevents them wavedash under you, pressuring them to super jump or teleport. If they jump, you can air-to-air them with his awesome j.B, or go for the anti-air grab if you are confident enough to do it. If you think a teleport is coming, do j.H to catch him swinging.

Plus, if you're connect with tentacle you can combo into forward assist and continue the combo from there. Timing is important though, gotta be quick.

It's not the best strategy, but it's Nemesis. He's a giant target with slow normals with late armor with shitty damage scaling. Take what you can get.

Viscant dropping gems.

http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/11575665-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-team-tier-list-2014

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgt3R4TofW0 Had no idea you could convert that low to the ground with Nova force DHC. I'd been doing a variation that didn't allow corner conversions with Doom. Works with any character with an install hypes and OTG. If you take them high enough it works with Wesker's counter as well.

Lol

I've decided I would like to be able to play all the characters in the game (poorly). I am going to try to learn at least a B&B with each.

Really helps with understanding matchups.

Dahbomb

Got done reading the Viscant analysis and its spot on as usual... not much to add really. I would say that the omission of the Firebrand/Skrull team is startling because its a one touch win team, it needed some mention in there.

The first two teams listed on that list are the two best teams in the game (ChrisG's team and some variant of Zero/Jam Session) and I am pretty sure that was no coincidence. At the game's maximum level... its going to be some Morrigan/Doom/Vergil team playing against a Zero/Dante/Strider team but like Viscant said the current crop of Strider players aren't at that level yet and still fall back on Vergil despite ZDS having better synergy.

I also feel like team Nemo wasn't given enough credit in its dismantling of Missiles teams. Yeah its a worse Zero team overall but against Missiles its better because Nova's mobility on the ground is better and his air/ground throw game is better.

JeTmAn81

Lol

Really helps with understanding matchups.

Actually, I think a cursory understanding of a character may not really help you against good players since that person's going to be going deep with the character and will more than likely discover stuff you never knew about. But actually playing the characters in neutral does at least tip you off to small weaknesses.

Actually, I think a cursory understanding of a character may not really help you against good players since that person's going to be going deep with the character and will more than likely discover stuff you never knew about. But actually playing the characters in neutral does at least tip you off to small weaknesses.

I dunno man....ever since I started playing Spidey, I play against him a LOT better. Like night and day. I have a much better understanding of what to look for now.

It helps me tremendously. But it's part of my gameplan, so it may help me more than it helps other folk. It's what I do in every fighter (Capcom fighters at least).

Zissou

Yeah it's a rough road. I still love her though.

Lightning Sphere and Whirlwind can be ok combined with assists.

It's hard to use Storm because most of the time I'm thinking "I wish I was using Magneto." Dat archetype syndrome. I think there's no reason to pick her (outside of being personally fond of the character) unless a) you're going to abuse the hell out of hailstorm or b) you've already got Magneto on your team and since you can't pick him twice, you had to pick Storm instead.

It's hard to use Storm because most of the time I'm thinking "I wish I was using Magneto." Dat archetype syndrome. I think there's no reason to pick her (outside of being personally fond of the character) unless a) you're going to abuse the hell out of hailstorm or b) you've already got Magneto on your team and since you can't pick him twice, you had to pick Storm instead.
Hail storm is a huge part of the reason I play her. It keeps people very honest with their assists. But I do genuinely enjoy playing her with drones. Her mixups and fast overhead is fun. Her j.H is underrated and her air throw is good for some hard tag combos.

Zissou

Hail storm is a huge part of the reason I play her. It keeps people very honest with their assists. But I do genuinely enjoy playing her with drones. Her mixups and fast overhead is fun. Her j.H is underrated and her air throw is good for some hard tag combos.

It does seem like her viability on point is very assist dependent. Drones, Akuma tatsu, or bust. I was hoping to make Storm work because I really enjoy her movement- low fast tri-dash like Doom while still having a proper wavedash and float to boot.

It does seem like her viability on point is very assist dependent. Drones, Akuma tatsu, or bust. I was hoping to make Storm work because I really enjoy her movement- low fast tri-dash like Doom while still having a proper wavedash and float to boot.

Well who are you using as your 3rd character? I'm assuming you're using Doom/Storm.

Zissou

Well who are you using as your 3rd character? I'm assuming you're using Doom/Storm.

I was trying to make Magneto/Storm/Raccoon(spitfire) work. I was trying to make a team w/o Doom on it to broaden my horizons, but I'm ending up enjoying Magneto a hell of a lot... which will probably lead to some Mag/Doom combo in the future, haha.

I was thinking spitfire would be like drones just not attached to a character I hate using on point, but I haven't been able to get much mileage out of it with Storm. I was coming up with set-ups in the lab like call Raccoon and then do lightning attack, which will give me a full combo on hit and mix-ups on block, but lightning attack isn't as good as I thought, and it's quite rare for somebody to sit still long enough to do the set-up in the first place. I think my Storm is still pretty ass though, so maybe I'm not judging things appropriately. It seems like her tri-dash mix-ups are a lot more finicky than Magneto's too- if I don't time it just right, super jump up forward > addf j.L, cr.L doesn't combo, whereas w/ Mag, it's super easy and consistent do his tri-dash j.L into a combo on hit. Maybe I'm missing something?

Zissou

Every time I see our thread title, I get sad.

Apparently this will be the game we play... for the foreseeable future, haha. It could be worse- I'm still having a hell of a lot of fun and trying out new stuff all the time. This game will live until there is a suitable replacement, and there's nothing I can see on the horizon that will suffice.

onionfrog

We did our best...
But look at it this way. UMVC3 is still wayyyyyy more balanced than MVC2!

I hope capcom vs capcom can become a reality. I want something to carry on the 3v3 team based fighting engine... (* besides Skullgirls)

This game is sorely lacking in Onimusha characters. :p
and Megaman ;_;

i-Jest

Well as long as the fanbase continues to play then the game won't die right? The patch won't happen but that's not a reason to stop playing. It's a great game. Fans have done their fair share of waiting for it. Just enjoy it as it is I guess. We may never see another.

I was trying to make Magneto/Storm/Raccoon(spitfire) work. I was trying to make a team w/o Doom on it to broaden my horizons, but I'm ending up enjoying Magneto a hell of a lot... which will probably lead to some Mag/Doom combo in the future, haha.

I was thinking spitfire would be like drones just not attached to a character I hate using on point, but I haven't been able to get much mileage out of it with Storm. I was coming up with set-ups in the lab like call Raccoon and then do lightning attack, which will give me a full combo on hit and mix-ups on block, but lightning attack isn't as good as I thought, and it's quite rare for somebody to sit still long enough to do the set-up in the first place. I think my Storm is still pretty ass though, so maybe I'm not judging things appropriately. It seems like her tri-dash mix-ups are a lot more finicky than Magneto's too- if I don't time it just right, super jump up forward > addf j.L, cr.L doesn't combo, whereas w/ Mag, it's super easy and consistent do his tri-dash j.L into a combo on hit. Maybe I'm missing something?

I do use Storm and Raccoon together on one team (Wesker/Storm/Raccoon), but I use Log Trap. People tend to stop moving when Log Trap comes out, so I get a small opportunity for rushdown/mixups, and if they get hit by Log Trap then it's easy to combo off of. I don't have any trouble with connecting the j.L and cr.L, but even when it does combo I'm already dead set on using M and jump cancelling into her instant overhead. Yeah I do that whether the L's are blocked or not.......probably not a good habit, but it works damn near every time.

Zissou

I do use Storm and Raccoon together on one team (Wesker/Storm/Raccoon), but I use Log Trap. People tend to stop moving when Log Trap comes out, so I get a small opportunity for rushdown/mixups, and if they get hit by Log Trap then it's easy to combo off of. I don't have any trouble with connecting the j.L and cr.L, but even when it does combo I'm already dead set on using M and jump cancelling into her instant overhead. Yeah I do that whether the L's are blocked or not.......probably not a good habit, but it works damn near every time.

I need to use Storm's jump-cancellable normals for stuff outside of combos, period, haha. I know it's her 'thing' like Doom's dash-cancellable normals or whatever, but I never remember to use them for pressure/mix-ups. God's Beard also told me to use log trap instead of spitfire. I'd just assumed spitfire was the way to go, being a quasi mini drones, but since everybody is suggesting it, I'll give log trap a try and see how it goes!

TWILT

Banned
Good games Slasher. Shame about the connection at the end, but oh well...

Always fun to play against you regardless. Still not sure how to exactly approach your team; gotta snap in Wesker some more...

FSLink

Banned
Good games Slasher. Shame about the connection at the end, but oh well...

Always fun to play against you regardless. Still not sure how to exactly approach your team; gotta snap in Wesker some more...

Generally against Slasher, I snap Wesker in unless Wright has 3 evidence already, then I just go for the kill. Exception being when I'm using Wright too and I just try to get my evidence first, XD.

I need to use Storm's jump-cancellable normals for stuff outside of combos, period, haha. I know it's her 'thing' like Doom's dash-cancellable normals or whatever, but I never remember to use them for pressure/mix-ups. God's Beard also told me to use log trap instead of spitfire. I'd just assumed spitfire was the way to go, being a quasi mini drones, but since everybody is suggesting it, I'll give log trap a try and see how it goes!

Yeah man, those jump cancels are amazing. I admit I don't use Doom's dash cancels enough though.

The way I decide whether I'm gonna use Spitfire or Log Trap is if both of my characters can cover themselves pretty well during normal jumps then I pick spitfire. If either of my characters has trouble getting in with normal jumps then I pick Log Trap. Just the way I do it *shrug*. I don't trust Storm during normal jumps, as her jump normals seem a bit slow and not something you can abuse, so I go with Log Trap. Say if I'm playing a team like Wesker/Dante/Raccoon, then I go with Spitfire because both Wesker and Dante are pretty dangerous during normal jumps and they can capitalize off of Spitfire since it's not a blockstring. Especially Wesker and his stupid ass command grab.

I don't know I feel like Vergil is the biggest hurdle. With spiral swords and strider's assist I am just consistently blocking for super long periods of time while trying to guess constantly which direction to block. Strider's a great comeback character and a good anchor but I feel I pull more wins against him.

TWILT

Banned
Yeah, Strider's still my weakest link on my team I feel and snapping him in is a good idea.
I'd like to think I've gotten better with him tho!

If you can kill Dante early without X-Factor though, then yeah, I'd go for Vergil.

I don't know I feel like Vergil is the biggest hurdle. With spiral swords and strider's assist I am just consistently blocking for super long periods of time while trying to guess constantly which direction to block. Strider's a great comeback character and a good anchor but I feel I pull more wins against him.

I'm with you on this one. Unless the player is Clock, I'll kill Vergil over Strider all the time. I'd rather deal with Ouros than constant swords.

FSLink

Banned
I'm with you on this one. Unless the player is Clock, I'll kill Vergil over Strider all the time. I'd rather deal with Ouros than constant swords.

True, but that Strider assist is annoying. I prefer snapping him in just to get rid of that, Dante + Vergil by themselves has much less of a neutral game than with Strider.

onionfrog

Fuck capcom for thinking that hard knockdown was a good way to balance Arthur's gold armor.

Playing Chun-Li in lag . :{

EDIT:
Good Games Slasher!
It was fun. Your Phoenix Wright is too Stronk!

Fuck capcom for thinking that hard knockdown was a good way to balance Arthur's gold armor.

Playing Chun-Li in lag . :{

Yea I know I was just waiting for it lol. Dude wtf at the first match totally wasn't ready for a Hsien Ko that doesn't just using gold armor assist. Good stuff. And by god does it feel satisfying to player a point wesker team with a beam after using him as anchor since the dawn of time.

onionfrog

Yea I know I was just waiting for it lol. Dude wtf at the first match totally wasn't ready for a Hsien Ko that doesn't just using gold armor assist. Good stuff.
Thanks, I like to actually play as hsien-ko instead of just whoring out the armored assist. I was able to pull off some schenanigans with her in a few matches.
It'd be really nice if her movement and air dashes were a bit faster... That way she could actually have an easier time getting in.

And by god does it feel satisfying to player a point wesker team with a beam after using him as anchor since the dawn of time.
Haha. You should build an alt team for point Wesker.
Wesker + Some beam assist + an anchor you are comfortable with.

He'd be really great backed by Vajra, but I don't know how comfortable you are with Strider.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";97281803]Magneto with Jam Session is pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Great for neutral control, but how do you convert off of it (on hit) consistently?

Sigmaah

Firebrand/Doom/Vergil

To use Missiles or Plasma? Plasma is always the first choice I go to but missiles with firebrand is pretty nice. Let's me move around a lot and I got that free combo breaker!

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";97286771]With jH cancels. Fanatiq had a relevant video about air conversions somewhere.

You have to be super mobile with Magneto, though. And good with Dante, of course.[/QUOTE]

I should probably watch some Kbeast footage. Does anybody else of note play Magneto+jam session? I was considering trying a Magneto/Dante/Doom team at some point.

JeTmAn81

I think the standard confirm for Magneto off Jam Session is super jump H into ROM style comboing since it tends to pop them up to that height. It's not too different from some of his common confirms.

Marz

Magneto/Plasma beam/Jam session might be Mags most optimized team? Its better than Doom Sent I think but you have to learn Dante:(

Good gravy the racoon is hard to use. I am used to stupid easy combo damage from characters like Nova and Doom. Any good midscreen easy bnb for him (preferably without using supers).

edit, thinking my team will be either (rr-spitfire)(Doom-missle)(strange-bolts) or (haggar-lariat)(rr-log)(strange-bolts) or (rr-spit)(doom-beam)(strider-vajra).

I don't think I can have storm/racoon/strange on a team since she doesn't force you to block high like Nova's box-H.

Zissou

I think the standard confirm for Magneto off Jam Session is super jump H into ROM style comboing since it tends to pop them up to that height. It's not too different from some of his common confirms.

That makes sense. I still need to learn his air-to-air confirms properly- hopefully there's some videos out there or something to get me up to speed.

Magneto/Plasma beam/Jam session might be Mags most optimized team? Its better than Doom Sent I think but you have to learn Dante:(

I would play it with Dante in the middle so I have access to raw tag Doom -> Doom/Dante thc ender for dat damage. I still think the Doom assist would be match-up dependent, no?

On one hand, Dante is on my main team, so it shouldn't be too hard to anchor him in theory, but on the other hand, my Dante is firmly ass(ist) tier still :(

Good gravy the racoon is hard to use. I am used to stupid easy combo damage from characters like Nova and Doom. Any good midscreen easy bnb for him (preferably without using supers).

edit, thinking my team will be either (rr-spitfire)(Doom-missle)(strange-bolts) or (haggar-lariat)(rr-log)(strange-bolts) or (rr-spit)(doom-beam)(strider-vajra).

I don't think I can have storm/racoon/strange on a team since she doesn't force you to block high like Nova's box-H.

Storm can DHC into Strange's projectile counter hyper and then you can go into FoF loops in the corner, so I think there's merit to the pairing. Couldn't you call bolts and then super jump up fwd. addf j.S w/ Storm to force the high block or something?

Top Bottom