• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Zissou

I don't mean I play that, I mean stupid stuff like X-Factor, Morrigan Astral vision chip, Vergil Spiral Swords and it's safety, stuff like that.

Not much of those types of things are in Street Fighter. But, Cammy's stun is an example of what I mean as well, in Street Fighter.

Play against a strong player of Cammy/Akuma/Sakura/etc. and then tell me there's no bullshit :p

Zissou

The better you get, the less random Marvel feels, and the more you realize you were being random in your play.

Agree with this 100%. Marvel feels pretty calculated to me after sticking with it for so long. You also realize a lot of "bullshit" moments where something doesn't go your way can be traced back to mistakes you made earlier in the match (at times much earlier). You make the mistake of not snapping Vergil and it will haunt you later.

The better you get, the less random Marvel feels, and the more you realize you were being random in your play.

Agree with this 100%. Marvel feels pretty calculated to me after sticking with it for so long. You also realize a lot of "bullshit" moments where something doesn't go your way can be traced back to mistakes you made earlier in the match (at times much earlier). You make the mistake of not snapping Vergil and it will haunt you later.

I agree and disagree. There's too much shit wrong with some of the mechanics in the game.

Dahbomb

There is still nothing you can do about TAC guesses, Vergil clipping you with random Dimension Slash hyper cross up or Doom hitting you with Foot Dive even when you are above him (happened today when a Dorm player teleported above Doom and got hit by Doom's Foot Dive on the San Diego stream).

You can trace back your losses to a crucial mistake but it really boils down you being at the wrong place at the wrong time resulting in you getting hit or you being made to block leading into their advantage which leads to a hard to block mix up or straight guess which opens you up. After that your character dies and you have to make guesses on incoming. You make a couple of bad guesses, you lose the game.

It's a MASSIVE punishment for being at the wrong place at one point in the game. Worse characters are always in bad spots so you can't really do anything about it especially characters with bad mobility. The snowball effect in this game is just too strong.

Zissou

Yeah, more than anything marvel is just massively unforgiving/punishing. Very frustrating to deal with coming into it late, I imagine.

With your back to the corner though? It's never happened to me at least. Everywhere else yeah.

Yessir. Just like Vice said. Back to the wall and I was crouching. It's only happened to me like 3 times. The first time it happened I probably had the most indifferent look on my face.

images.jpg

One of the times it may have happened because I was playing Morrigan and she has such a small crouching hitbox that it could've went behind me.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Anyone else notice a sudden surge in Hulk users? It seems like I'm suddenly playing a lot of Hulk's with either Sentinel or Doom assist spams.

JeTmAn81

Anyone else notice a sudden surge in Hulk users? It seems like I'm suddenly playing a lot of Hulk's with either Sentinel or Doom assist spams.

Because Hulk da bess. Excuse me while I try to make a viable team of Hulk, Dante and Magneto, my 3 favorite MVC3 characters.

Dahbomb

Does Vergil's dimension slash cross-up in the corner?
Depends on how close Vergil is to you.

A lot of factors determine whether it's going to cross up or not. How close you are to him, where both of you are in relation to each other and on the screen. The only time he doesn't cross you up if you normal jump up away from him while he is nearly full screen away.

The only well documented cases of Vergil crossing up or not with Dimension Slash is in FChamp's anti Vergil video.

So I started playing ranked matches again. The last time I tried it was probably around a month or two out from launch. I recently hit 3rd lord and now that bar won't move when I win. It's so discouraging and I'm ready to give up!

Frantic

I haven't been crossed up by Wesker's super in years(probably literally, and I've actually consciously blocked crossups because I know it's gonna cross up) but the amount of cross ups I've been hit by with Dimensional Slash is disgusting. No matter which way I decide to block, I'll get hit regardless. Makes no fucking sense. It was easier to Just Block that shit in DMC3 than it is to block it in MvC3.

So I started playing ranked matches again. The last time I tried it was probably around a month or two out from launch. I recently hit 3rd lord and now that bar won't move when I win. It's so discouraging and I'm ready to give up!

Sometimes I think about playing ranked matches again, but then I come to my senses.

Dahbomb

Pretty sure it has been proven to be "unblockable" at certain spaces. That is to say it doesn't matter if you hold forward or back... it will hit from the front and then instantly hit at the back.

Sometimes I think about playing ranked matches again, but then I come to my senses.

Haha I know what you mean. If you can ignore the inevitable tea bag or taunt after losing then it's not so bad (still don't know why some people get salty over that stuff). If you end up playing long enough you almost always get matched up again to get your revenge. I prefer longer sets but my goal here is to get a high enough rank where I will get placed with "better" players, in player matches, on a more consistent basis. Let's hope it works.

Haha I know what you mean. If you can ignore the inevitable tea bag or taunt after losing then it's not so bad (still don't know why some people get salty over that stuff). If you end up playing long enough you almost always get matched up again to get your revenge. I prefer longer sets but my goal here is to get a high enough rank where I will get placed with "better" players, in player matches, on a more consistent basis. Let's hope it works.

It can work, but you'll likely be matched up with people using the same teams over and over and over again. My friend is a High Lord or some shit and all he fights are Zero teams and MorriDoom teams that he easily dismantles. He'll usually switch his player match settings to "Any" just to get some variety.

I stopped at 8th Lord and I do end up fighting low level players maybe 1/3 of the time, but some of these guys are phenomenal. I actually get a little worried when I switch my settings to Any and fight a "Beginner".......you never know what you're gonna get.

smurfx

get some go again
are you winning more than you are losing? its almost impossible to not level up easy as long as you don't go on big losing streaks.

I haven't been crossed up by Wesker's super in years(probably literally, and I've actually consciously blocked crossups because I know it's gonna cross up) but the amount of cross ups I've been hit by with Dimensional Slash is disgusting. No matter which way I decide to block, I'll get hit regardless. Makes no fucking sense. It was easier to Just Block that shit in DMC3 than it is to block it in MvC3.

Wow this is the opposite for me. I can constantly get cross ups with Phantom Dance but I rarely get crossed up with Dimension Slash. I think I see more random PD's than DS's too, I know sometimes I try to be right above or below a character and try for a random PD and it works more often than not. I don't ever see any random DS's.

Vice

Depends on how close Vergil is to you.

A lot of factors determine whether it's going to cross up or not. How close you are to him, where both of you are in relation to each other and on the screen. The only time he doesn't cross you up if you normal jump up away from him while he is nearly full screen away.

The only well documented cases of Vergil crossing up or not with Dimension Slash is in FChamp's anti Vergil video.
Thanks. That explains a lot. It will be fun finding ways to counter it with my team.

Ghazi

I just mash the stick left and right when Phantom Dance and/or Dimension Slash comes out and it seems to work well (I'm not joking).

Frantic

Wow this is the opposite for me. I can constantly get cross ups with Phantom Dance but I rarely get crossed up with Dimension Slash. I think I see more random PD's than DS's too, I know sometimes I try to be right above or below a character and try for a random PD and it works more often than not. I don't ever see any random DS's.
I've seen so many random PD's that I pretty much know what to do in any situation. I've had people do it to me right above/below me and I'm in the middle of the screen, and I know which way it'll come from just by where I currently am, if I'm moving, and how high/low Wesker/I am. It's much easier to tell because Wesker has a fairly obvious trajectory when you really get down to it. With Vergil, it's hard as fuck for me to tell because he goes invisible.

I should just go into training mode and see if I can figure it out. I've been learning XF punishes against Spiral Swords and there's a pretty large gap in some cases(and in some rare cases, you don't even need to XF to punish - but those aren't exactly reliable).

smurfx

get some go again
yeah fuck dimension slash. hate it when i'm doing good against a vergil and they throw one out there out of desperation and it lands and then i have to deal with xf3 bullshit from there.

Probably because Dimension Slash is incredibly unsafe if blocked unless you burn xf. Phantom Dance is way more safe.

I've been learning XF punishes against Spiral Swords and there's a pretty large gap in some cases(and in some rare cases, you don't even need to XF to punish - but those aren't exactly reliable).

How do you X-Factor punish SS? Isn't active like on the first frame. It's not like punishing an Oroboros activation.

Ghazi

Probably because Dimension Slash is incredibly unsafe if blocked unless you burn xf. Phantom Dance is way more safe.
Dimension Slash has 65 frames of recovery and is -59 on block vs Phantom Dance which has 40 frames of recovery and is -20~30 on block so there's a good difference.

How do you X-Factor punish SS? Isn't active like on the first frame. It's not like punishing an Oroboros activation.
I snap back SS users who are right in front of me...

X-factor punish, my bad, just read "punish"

Tirael

You make the mistake of not snapping Vergil and it will haunt you later.
Yeah, except my rival runs Vergil point, and I have a hell of a hard time shutting him down. And when he gets me, he can do sword loops legit.

Super jump Starfall, oh I thought I was on the other side. Dead. Round Trip teleport, total crapshoot. Oh, his coattails are a hitbox on Helm Breaker, OTG assist into death? Seems fair.

The normals on that character, God damn.

Ghazi

So, while I was playing last Saturday, I learned that Doom and Vergil have a really good DHC option. Basically, someone was doing Magnetic Tempest-> Doom Orb -> Vergil Devil Trigger and then doing Vergil's Trick H and S in the air as the orb took the character up and was getting a full combo of it. Ridiculous.

Frantic

You X-Factor in the middle. My old video of it. I've been going through various different blockstrings in Spiral Swords to find the spots to XF punish. It's somewhat situational, but I'm trying to train for situational spots like that. I've also been learning to punish the usual Vergil blockstrings, and found Dante can punish every Round Trip string, amongst other things.

I should record one of my random training sessions one of these times, just to show people the insanity that I often try.

Dahbomb

You X-Factor in the middle. My old video of it. I've been going through various different blockstrings in Spiral Swords to find the spots to XF punish. It's somewhat situational, but I'm trying to train for situational spots like that. I've also been learning to punish the usual Vergil blockstrings, and found Dante can punish every Round Trip string, amongst other things.

I should record one of my random training sessions one of these times, just to show people the insanity that I often try.
You should record the videos and send them to FChamp.. I know he loves some anti Vergil tech.

And here's how you beat point Vergil...

You XFC his Helm Breaker. He can't do HSH bullshit if you do it right and he would be forced to X factor to save Vergil.

If he doesn't he dies and its not like he has another LVLXF3 Vergil to fallback on and Vergil teams also don't use Phoenix.

smurfx

get some go again
wat

You have lariat
i like leaving haggar last vs vergil. haggar still has to deal with incoming mixups and other bullshit from xf3 vergil. i like forcing vergils to xfactor on my terms and then i can start up a gameplan against them. if they random super and catch me and xfactor then i'm the one on the defensive instead of my opponent.

FSLink

Banned
i like leaving haggar last vs vergil. haggar still has to deal with incoming mixups and other bullshit from xf3 vergil. i like forcing vergils to xfactor on my terms and then i can start up a gameplan against them. if they random super and catch me and xfactor then i'm the one on the defensive instead of my opponent.

On teams that I use with Haggar I always switch Haggar in for Vergil since it forces the opponent to not YOLO Dimensional Slash and then XF on their own terms.

smurfx

get some go again
On teams that I use with Haggar I always switch Haggar in for Vergil since it forces the opponent to not YOLO Dimensional Slash and then XF on their own terms.
some vergils will bait out the lariat and xfactor and then force you to blow your own xfactor to keep yourself safe. i would rather not take that chance and try to block the dimension slash but you will sometimes get randomly hit by it but what can you do. i keep haggar in the back because i like to use him to cross over counter when vergil has me in a block string. if lariat misses i still have other options at my disposal.

FSLink

Banned
some vergils will bait out the lariat and xfactor and then force you to blow your own xfactor to keep yourself safe. i would rather not take that chance and try to block the dimension slash but you will sometimes get randomly hit by it but what can you do. i keep haggar in the back because i like to use him to cross over counter when vergil has me in a block string. if lariat misses i still have other options at my disposal.

True, though I usually go for a Violent Axe crossup and if they manage to block, plink dash around while they're throwing out Judgement Cuts and see if they'll press a button then Lariat in response and either DHC or X-Factor depending if I got the hit or not.

Top Bottom