• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Zissou

Doing the community patch notes here was a fun thought exercise if nothing else! It's unfortunate an actual patch will never come, but I've made my peace with it.

Marz

That makes sense. I still need to learn his air-to-air confirms properly- hopefully there's some videos out there or something to get me up to speed.

I would play it with Dante in the middle so I have access to raw tag Doom -> Doom/Dante thc ender for dat damage. I still think the Doom assist would be match-up dependent, no?

On one hand, Dante is on my main team, so it shouldn't be too hard to anchor him in theory, but on the other hand, my Dante is firmly ass(ist) tier still :(

I guess you could run Doom assists based on the matchup but missiles and jam session seems kind of redundant. I would think Mags would like some horizontal control no?

Yea either order is really good, could depend on who you think is better on anchor but factor in how good Doom is in the corner with jam session

Zissou, I want to make a topic about a desired PS4 OS feature, and I would like to use your GAF and PSN names as an example. Would you be okay with that? I don't want to spotlight you without your permission. It is just about username discrepancies and wanting a way to give users custom tags only I can see. No offense taken if this makes you uncomfortable.

Zissou

Zissou, I want to make a topic about a desired PS4 OS feature, and I would like to use your GAF and PSN names as an example. Would you be okay with that? I don't want to spotlight you without your permission. It is just about username discrepancies and wanting a way to give users custom tags only I can see. No offense taken if this makes you uncomfortable.

Go for it- I don't mind at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I already said: no regrets!

I would feel the same if that weren't the title. The title just reminds me of how unloved the game is by Capcom more frequently.
TBH there weren't really many alternatives with as awesome thread titles as the first 3 OTs. What a great trifecta, hard to top.

I'm just happy this thread got to OT4 and still is quite active with strong regulars in here conversing, matchmaking, etc.

FSLink

Banned
GGs Twilt. Man I was dropping simple Zero and Vergil stuff all over the place. Been working on XF3 Zero a bit too. Your Dante is as scary as usual.

TWILT

Banned
Yeah good games. Was hoping it could have been a FT30, but oh well, I should be getting some sleep anyway. Likewise to your Zero; always fun to fight against (till I get hit at least lol).

Go for it- I don't mind at all.
Thank you!

TBH there weren't really many alternatives with as awesome thread titles as the first 3 OTs. What a great trifecta, hard to top.

I'm just happy this thread got to OT4 and still is quite active with strong regulars in here conversing, matchmaking, etc.
Too true.

What is really great is we all get to play the next big fighter together as well. It is kind of cool to have a history as an online community. I remember when I was in freshman year of undergrad, a professor did a whole schpeel about whether online communities are real communities. I didn't have a strong opinion at the time, but now I do, and I think it is clear that they can be, and we are.

onionfrog

No regrets!
The patch discussion was fun.
It was nice to discuss the game and its mechanics in depth. And to discuss key things that should be tweaked for each character.

If only Hsienko and Ryu could convert off air throws without an OTG assist. I don't even think Hsienko can combo off of hers with an OTG assist! :/

Curious as to what this is.

What is really great is we all get to play the next big fighter together as well. It is kind of cool to have a history as an online community. I remember when I was in freshman year of undergrad, a professor did a whole schpeel about whether online communities are real communities. I didn't have a strong opinion at the time, but now I do, and I think it is clear that they can be, and we are.

I'm down for the next versus Capcom fighter as always. Plus I want to get into a Street Fighter more but don't want to get into SF4 so late into the game but I want to get into the next one.

Curious as to what this is.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753251

It's roughly as successful as all my topics. :p I would be a horrible journalist. No one would read my content.

I'm down for the next versus Capcom fighter as always. Plus I want to get into a Street Fighter more but don't want to get into SF4 so late into the game but I want to get into the next one.
I just got into Street Fighter, and I am holding my own. It's not impossible to get solid and enjoy oneself at this point. There are several GAF members who are terrible at the game, so you still have a solid practice base. It accentuates the power of fundamentals, so that helps.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753251

It's roughly as successful as all my topics. :p I would be a horrible journalist. No one would read my content.

I just got into Street Fighter, and I am holding my own. It's not impossible to get solid and enjoy oneself at this point. There are several GAF members who are terrible at the game, so you still have a solid practice base. It accentuates the power of fundamentals, so that helps.

Ahh yea just saw the topic pop up. I agree. Next Gen is really lacking in features that's it's killing me. I had moved my PS3 into another room but after two weeks moved it back in my living room because I was using it way more. I can't go on without the MP3 player and video player anymore. I use them all the time. PS4 is NOT a multimedia machine. Not yet at least. PS3 still way outclasses it, but I know these systems where rushed out into the holidays and these kind of features are added much later. I mean take a look at vanilla PS3.

I played SF4 a little when it came out but what killed my SF play was Marvel. As soon as that game came out, I never picked it back up again. However because of Marvel 3 I really took to the game much more than any other fighter before it and really got into the genre much more than I ever did. I've always liked SF and the like but played them very casually. I always liked the versus series much more. I put so so many hundreds of hours into Marvel 2. And that was only in single player. When the PS3/360 generation came about and online play was much more common, I really started to take to getting decent at it. Then when Ultimate was announced and Wright was leaked, I told myself I was putting all my cards in and getting as good as I could get with him. Because of this I got more into the scene and into playing with groups of people and am kinda sad that this is the only game I play. Most other fighter fans play a bunch of different games. I don't wanna be always known as that one guy who played that one character in that one game and that's it, but at the same time I would rather dedicate myself to one or two fighters and just try to get good at them. Plus I play other games at the same time, I'm never gonna drop other games just to get better. No other franchise fighters have ever really had an appeal to me other than Capcom ones. Tekken, Soul Cailbur, killer instinct ect. I always liked Mortal Kombat but I really hate what it has become today.

JeTmAn81

That makes sense. I still need to learn his air-to-air confirms properly- hopefully there's some videos out there or something to get me up to speed.

I only finally figured out just recently what the timing of it is supposed to be. You see Magnetos using that confirm all the time, frequently for when the opponent is in the air getting hit by Hidden Missiles. You just go down-back to up-forward for a super jump and then hit j.H instantly. The secret, which I never realized before, is to give the j.H a fraction of a second to keep hitting them before you hit the air-dash down-forward into another immediate j.H. If you air-dash immediately right after the first j.H, the second one won't come out. So it's that slight hesitation that makes it work. I never saw this described in any Magneto video or forum posting, yet it is such a basic part of that character's combo ability.

Ahh yea just saw the topic pop up. I agree. Next Gen is really lacking in features that's it's killing me. I had moved my PS3 into another room but after two weeks moved it back in my living room because I was using it way more. I can't go on without the MP3 player and video player anymore. I use them all the time. PS4 is NOT a multimedia machine. Not yet at least. PS3 still way outclasses it, but I know these systems where rushed out into the holidays and these kind of features are added much later. I mean take a look at vanilla PS3.

I played SF4 a little when it came out but what killed my SF play was Marvel. As soon as that game came out, I never picked it back up again. However because of Marvel 3 I really took to the game much more than any other fighter before it and really got into the genre much more than I ever did. I've always liked SF and the like but played them very casually. I always liked the versus series much more. I put so so many hundreds of hours into Marvel 2. And that was only in single player. When the PS3/360 generation came about and online play was much more common, I really started to take to getting decent at it. Then when Ultimate was announced and Wright was leaked, I told myself I was putting all my cards in and getting as good as I could get with him. Because of this I got more into the scene and into playing with groups of people and am kinda sad that this is the only game I play. Most other fighter fans play a bunch of different games. I don't wanna be always known as that one guy who played that one character in that one game and that's it, but at the same time I would rather dedicate myself to one or two fighters and just try to get good at them. Plus I play other games at the same time, I'm never gonna drop other games just to get better. No other franchise fighters have ever really had an appeal to me other than Capcom ones. Tekken, Soul Cailbur, killer instinct ect. I always liked Mortal Kombat but I really hate what it has become today.

I understand the sentiment, however grownups with jobs and the other responsibilities of adult life don't really have time to get good at more than one game. You should feel good about being able to go this deep with even one game.

You didn't know about them already? They were pretty old I thought, I just never found a video explaining them until now. Super useful anyway, especially the fact you can chain them.

Nah, I never bothered to go for *actual* resets with it. I just always waited for an opportune time to use it.

TWILT

Banned
GGs The Mango Sentinel. Very fun games, but I got hella salty in some of them haha. I don't play a lot of teams like yours; lets play again sometime.

GGs TWILT. Would've played more since I have a ton of teams but I burned myself out today and I was playing like shit. I think I'm done for the weekend.

Note to self - never play this game for almost 8 hours straight just because your angry.

Ghazi

So what do you guys think of the JP cover of the game? Me? It's certainly... different. But, I don't like it, the US/EU cover is really good (Capcom made one) and I can't imagine a better one. The Vanilla US cover was nice too!

umvc3-box-art.jpg

TheAnvil

Neo Member
IMO the JP cover is way better. The only thing I don't like about it is that Wolverine's horrible modern suit is so visible.

Solune

So what do you guys think of the JP cover of the game? Me? It's certainly... different. But, I don't like it, the US/EU cover is really good (Capcom made one) and I can't imagine a better one. The Vanilla US cover was nice too!

umvc3-box-art.jpg

It's a tribute to Bengus' MvC2 art, except using in game models which makes it look inferior.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shinkiro > *

The JP art is a bit messy, and tried to do much. I always thought the watercolour-esque art for MvC3 would have made for the coolest covers, but probably would have been ruined by logos, etc. Made for great custom, minimal cover art in the GAF thread.

FSLink

Banned
I wish they used a different piece of Shinkiro art for UMvC3. He had a lot of good ones, and I wasn't a fan that they used the one with the least amount of characters when the least amount was also unveiled too.

YJWbn0Gl.jpg

This one would have been better I feel despite some of the characters looking odd (Ammy), though this one came out for promotion of the Vita release.

onionfrog

I wish they used a different piece of Shinkiro art for UMvC3. He had a lot of good ones, and I wasn't a fan that they used the one with the least amount of characters when the least amount was also unveiled too.

YJWbn0Gl.jpg

This one would have been better I feel despite some of the characters looking odd (Ammy), though this one came out for promotion of the Vita release.
This would've made for an excellent cover. I like it more than the Shinkiro art that was used for the official case.

So what do you guys think of the JP cover of the game? Me? It's certainly... different. But, I don't like it, the US/EU cover is really good (Capcom made one) and I can't imagine a better one.

umvc3-box-art.jpg
I like the concept, but it looks a bit weird with the in-game models.
If they had someone make a hand drawn version of this same concept, I think it would have been perfect.

The Vanilla US cover was nice too!
The vanilla art was a little goofy. I mean, look at hulk's face lol.
Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-Fate-of-Two-Worlds-Cover-Art1.jpg

The JP Vanilla art is pretty cool tho:
995375_167223_front.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MvC3 had such great art. Every Shikiro piece was awesome.

This was the art I was talking about in a previous post:

But I think if cropped right, this one probably would have been best, with a logo smack centre between Wolverine and Ryu and they added a bit more white space around it:

The first one here would have made for great cover art, second one not so much but it's still an awesome image.

FSLink

Banned
So I just realized we migrated from theory patching the game to patching the cover art.

gv53N2u.jpg

Always liked this one too because it has Frank West looking manly as fuck, and Phoenix Wright.

Dahbomb

Not gonna lie I am very satisfied with the current UMVC3 box art:

umvc3_ps3_fob.jpg

Only bad thing about it is Hsien Ko hidden behind the ESRB rating but that's not really the art's fault.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The vanilla art was a little goofy. I mean, look at hulk's face lol.
Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-Fate-of-Two-Worlds-Cover-Art1.jpg

I forgot how awful that looked... it's so disorganized and inconsistent. I'm a big fan of the Vanilla Special Edition art by Alvin Lee, though:

Vergil confirmed for DMC5? Nah!

Was there ever an art book for MvC concept art?

Yep:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1926778499/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's the softcover, and there's a limited edition hardcover. And they also released a special book jacket with pixelart characters recently.

Top Bottom