• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Dahbomb

I would still Lariat the Dimension Slash.

They are going to XF no matter the out come. If you block it they will XF. If they hit they will XF. If you Lariat they will XF.

Using a Lariat means they might do XF late and get caught by it.

And yea Dimension Slash is a projectile. Same type as his Judgment Cuts.

I would still Lariat the Dimension Slash.

They are going to XF no matter the out come. If you block it they will XF. If they hit they will XF. If you Lariat they will XF.

Using a Lariat means they might do XF late and get caught by it.

And yea Dimension Slash is a projectile. Same type as his Judgment Cuts.
Holy shit. All this time and I had no idea. I suppose it doesn't really change anything for me though. I guess at least I know I can do Strange's counter in those situations.

Vice

Holy shit. All this time and I had no idea. I suppose it doesn't really change anything for me though. I guess at least I know I can do Strange's counter in those situations.

Yeah. Certain supers trade or beat it on reaction as well. Nova force does, hyper chardging star, and shoryu supers are the ones I can remember.

shaowebb

After finally bothering to play Devil May Cry 4 after just ditching the series because I couldn't stand Dante I have the following to say.

I think Dante would have worn thin on fans if not for the switch to Vergil and Nero. You can only take so much of that 90's over the top in your face attitude before it grates on you. My tolerance was always extremely low for such characters so I couldn't deal with the guy. Vergil and Nero though...I love them. They show a bit more depth as characters in their personality that I find more realistic. and I love them both. After I beat this I'll go back to DMC 3 and enter the unlock everything code to skip ever using Dante and try out a run as Vergil. Honestly if Vergil hadn't been created to play foil to Dante I think it wouldn't have lasted or Dante would have had to change really early in the series.

That said...Nero needs to be in the next Capcom fighter. BADLY. He's actually likeable and he plays so differently. I know we got Spencer for the grab stuff and I dont care. Its not the same as doing a devil bringer air combo into buster into devil bringer to loop it and the revving for Exceed combo moves and such is just great as a damage booster. He still has the general bag of tricks that DMC cast get like his Splitter move being like the ones Vergil and Dante use and his dashing strike move being similar to their own horizontal dash attacks, but other than that he is an air grappler reset machine where as the other two felt incredibly different in their sword combos. Devil bringer just changes the rhythm that much for me.

Nero. He now tops my vote for guys I want Capcom to bring into a fighter after playing this. He's likely the only Devil May Cry guy I'd really bother to learn using in a tag fighter too.

After finally bothering to play Devil May Cry 4 after just ditching the series because I couldn't stand Dante I have the following to say.

I think Dante would have worn thin on fans if not for the switch to Vergil and Nero.

I'm sorry, but WHAT!? No way Dante is the best. He is not defined by his "90's attitude" at all. I think DMC1 Dante is one of the best designed video game characters around.

Dahbomb

DMC4 Dante is the most insane implementation of a character in an action game. You can put him in any action game and he would body it.

Nero would be cool in a fighting games but real talk.... mechanically he does not hold a candle to Dante. Nero is easy to pick and play but when you start mastering DMC4 Dante you start achieving action game nirvana.

Personality is irrelevant for choosing fighting game characters and Dante's personality changes in every DMC game anyway. Fans seem to love uncle Dante but hate emo or mute Dante in DmC/DMC2. Dante brings a flavor of character over other video game characters who nowadays try too hard to be mature and bad ass.

Ghazi

With Nero in Marvel/whatever, imagine the command grabs lol.

I also recommend everyone watch chaserthewolf's "Another Demon Down" DMC4 combo video to see some ridiculous stuff with Dante.

I giffed a portion of it once, and people liked it.

Here it is haha:

I have exclusive footage of how Dante will play in MvC4:

i7muDQqnY2PP5.gif

DMC4 Dante is the most insane implementation of a character in an action game. You can put him in any action game and he would body it.
A good Dante in DMC4 can be told when all you hear in gameplay is "Trickster, Gunslinger, SwordMaster, Slayer and Royal Guard"

Personality is irrelevant for choosing fighting game characters

Well I hardly think that. Why are half the characters in this game if not for their personality. Every person when starting out picks the guy who looks cool or that they know. Sure people play certain characters for their skills and mechanics but there are a lot of people that play certain characters just because they like them. Regardless I think I know what you meant though.

Ghazi

Yo Dahbomb/Karst/anyone else, I got Street Fighter working alright on my PC. Keyboard controls will take some time to get used to, add me on GFWL or Steam: "Ghazzarro"

Ghazi

Eww keyboard controls. DJ Ghazi just buy this and be done with it. Works for everything. Great on my PS3, PC, old school games new games ect.

http://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Saturn-Classic-Controller-Black-Pc/dp/B002BFVAV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390436276&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+sega+saturn+pad

Linking that reminded me I had this:
74-104-234-03.jpg

Plugged it in and it worked fine, didn't know 360 peripherals worked on PC. I assume that means my HORI fight stick might work as well, but I'm not going to lug that huge thing with me everywhere I go.

onionfrog

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think Dante would have worn thin on fans if not for the switch to Vergil and Nero. You can only take so much of that 90's over the top in your face attitude before it grates on you.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions and projecting your own opinions onto the target demographic.

FSLink

Banned
GGS to whoever I just played on XBL. :p Definitely deserved that Vergil comeback you did when I was trying for the stylish meter wasting combo, lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Having trouble with peeps who just jump up and do stuff with characters that have a lot of air zoning options. Doom, Trish, and Morrigan specifically. I guess I just learn how many moves they can do in the air and put them in a bad situation when they're forced to come down?

I play Wesker, Storm, Hawkeye so I don't have any easy mode air to airs that lead to full combos like footdive, Frank knees, etc. Maybe I should switch Hawkeye with strider.

Zissou

Having trouble with peeps who just jump up and do stuff with characters that have a lot of air zoning options. Doom, Trish, and Morrigan specifically. I guess I just learn how many moves they can do in the air and put them in a bad situation when they're forced to come down?

Yeah, coming down safely from the sky can be very difficult to do safely against a competent opponent. You can look to position yourself for an ambiguous cross under as they land (unless they have foot dive or shell kick, haha).

What's your team again? Have you practiced normal/super jump height confirms with your characters? Depending on who you use, you might have limited options- it's really nice to have jam session/vajra against the kinds of characters you're talking about.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, coming down safely from the sky can be very difficult to do safely against a competent opponent. You can look to position yourself for an ambiguous cross under as they land (unless they have foot dive or shell kick, haha).

What's your team again? Have you practiced normal/super jump height confirms with your characters? Depending on who you use, you might have limited options- it's really nice to have jam session/vajra against the kinds of characters you're talking about.

Wesker, Storm, Hawkeye. I usually just swap in Hawkeye if they're gonna pla.y that game. Trying to tag Morrigan or Doom as they come down seems especially risky.

Yeah I have normal jump confirms with those characters, but none of them seem to have much from super jump height other than air grabs.

Dahbomb

I play Wesker, Storm, Hawkeye so I don't have any easy mode air to airs that lead to full combos like footdive, Frank knees, etc. Maybe I should switch Hawkeye with strider.
You have a limited number of actions in the air (3 total). However those characters are bad match ups for Wesker (Trish and Morrigan especially... Doom less so but still very annoying for Wesker). This is why the best Wesker team has anchor Strider, he needs that Vajra. However, Hawkeye does better against all of those match ups as he can shoot straight forward, shoot the anti air arrows and of course the Gimlet to keep them honest. Storm is alright against those characters but you need to be exceptional. She can shoot out straight Lightning Sphere and Whirlwinds at super jump height.

You can add Strider but Strider doesn't help Storm much. You can alternatively use Wesker/Hawkeye/Strider as this would help you with those match ups a lot. Hawkeye can actually combo off of a Strider hit.

Yeah I have normal jump confirms with those characters, but none of them seem to have much from super jump height other than air grabs.
Storm has super jump height combo confirms:

http://youtu.be/YjNKE9D1Ekk?t=2m38s

Yeah you might have to make some character switches if you don't want to struggle so much. If you don't want to switch anyone then put Hawkeye in first, or if you can build a bar of meter you can go for a random THC and then try to keep the pressure up after that.

I play Wesker/Strange/Hawkeye sometimes and I abuse the THC. Opponents have to be very very careful.

Yo Dahbomb/Karst/anyone else, I got Street Fighter working alright on my PC. Keyboard controls will take some time to get used to, add me on GFWL or Steam: "Ghazzarro"
I don't PC game. Sorry!

Your best option is to get under them and mix it up as they land.

JeTmAn81

Anti-air assists are key. Hidden Missiles, Jam Session and Vajra are all great anti-airs and coincidentally are the best assists in the game and all those characters worth well for Wesker. They work well together too.

Vice

Linking that reminded me I had this:
74-104-234-03.jpg

Plugged it in and it worked fine, didn't know 360 peripherals worked on PC. I assume that means my HORI fight stick might work as well, but I'm not going to lug that huge thing with me everywhere I go.

360 sticks for PC. I believe PS3 ones do as well but you may need to use something like joy2key.

Hawkeye can pester those characters, and most any teleport-less character, when he's on point. His shoryu-arrows, gimlet, scatter shot and even just jumping and firing arrows keeps them grounded. A vertical assist helps a lot as well.

Hawkeye/Strider feels like a 9-1 matchup for some teams.

TWILT

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98194793]GGs to TWILT yesterday!

I hate not being able to run away with Magneto. I did pretty ok for most of my teams only having one character, though.[/QUOTE]

Late, but yeah, good games!

Any reason I don't see you pushblocking a lot? I was kinda surprised you just let my Chris chip you out with the H Grenades that one match...

Late, but yeah, good games!

Any reason I don't see you pushblocking a lot? I was kinda surprised you just let my Chris chip you out with the H Grenades that one match...

You'd be surprised at how often people forget to pushblock fire grenades. I was spamming them against this one guy in a tourney for a solid 6 seconds before he tried to do anything.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Would respond more in-depth to everyone but my desktop is busted so I have to browse the net exclusively on mobile for a bit.

Everyone seems to be saying to ditch Storm. I'm not married to Hawkeye or Wesker but I do enjoy Storm. I picked Weaker because he seemed like an easy character to learn the game with and Hawkeye assist seemed to go well with Wesker/Storm plus he's a good lvl 3 anchor. So I'd rather replace Wesker and Hawkeye than Storm.

onionfrog

Everyone seems to be saying to ditch Storm. I'm not married to Hawkeye or Wesker but I do enjoy Storm. I picked Weaker because he seemed like an easy character to learn the game with and Hawkeye assist seemed to go well with Wesker/Storm plus he's a good lvl 3 anchor. So I'd rather replace Wesker and Hawkeye than Storm.
Play who you like!
If you want to rock Storm then rock her!

Have you considered: Wesker/Storm/Dante?
You could put Dante on either Jam Session or Weasel Shot. (Depending on whether you need an AA assist for the matchup)

Dahbomb

I somehow missed this updated tier list that FChamp put out for UMVC3:

Bd6BeXeCIAASBHM.png:large

Highlights include:

*Strange and Dante upgraded from Upper Mid to High tier.
*Rocket Raccoon in Upper Mid same for Wesker. Wesker officially no longer in irrelevant tier.
*Iron Fist upgraded from Bottom Tier to Low tier (used to be him, Wright, Hsien Ko and Ghost Rider in their own shit tier)
*Tron upgraded from Low tier to Lower Mid tier.
*Top 5 defined as Zero/Vergil/Morrigan/Magneto/Doom. Used to be just the first 3 with Mag/Doom lower.
*Firebrand downgraded from High tier to Upper Mid tier.
*Thor and Iron Man upgraded from Low Mid to Mid tier.
*Ryu downgraded from Mid tier to Low Mid tier.

The old tier list for comparison.

I don't think you should ditch Storm but you need a counter pick team for those match ups.

The problem is simply that Storm is the odd one out of the three. Wesker and Hawkeye go together and you can slap on someone like Vergil or Strider to the team and it become scary. Storm doesn't go particularly well with either Wesker or Hawkeye.

If you like Storm the most then you should construct a team that is more built around her. Something like Magneto/Storm/Doom or Storm/Morrigan/Doom or Storm/Doom/Vergil or Storm/Vergil/Hawkeye or Doom/Storm/Sentinel or some Chris/Storm/Dante team or pick Justin's team. You kinda need a strong lock down and a top tier neutral assist for her (so Jam Session, Drones and Missiles does both for her).

I like Doom/Storm/Sentinel (Team DiosX). Its like a mini-morri-doom interms of space/chip sequences. You could rock Doom/Storm/Hawkeye to make Hawkeye's DHC safe.

Dahbomb

I will be on in around an hour.

FChamp claiming that he "discovered" backwards plink dash OS against Wolverine.

Frantic am cry.

smurfx

get some go again
Would respond more in-depth to everyone but my desktop is busted so I have to browse the net exclusively on mobile for a bit.

lvl 3 hawkeye is overrated.

Frantic

FChamp claiming that he "discovered" backwards plink dash OS against Wolverine.

Frantic am cry.
lol, what exactly is this plink dash OS? Is it just start of the round plink dash throw OS? Or just backwards plink dashes in general vs Wolverine? Either way, plink dash OS stuff is something that needs to become more mainstream. As is, I'm like the only person in the world to use start of the round plink dash throw OS.

I also stole all my plink dash OS stuff from gotnoskill. *shrug*

lol, what exactly is this plink dash OS? Is it just start of the round plink dash throw OS? Or just backwards plink dashes in general vs Wolverine? Either way, plink dash OS stuff is something that needs to become more mainstream. As is, I'm like the only person in the world to use start of the round plink dash throw OS.

I also stole all my plink dash OS stuff from gotnoskill. *shrug*

I thought that only worked well with characters like Nova (Forward M+H). Thats usually my opener with him but it doesn't work when I use Haggar.

Sigmaah

That feeling you get when you just bop niggas in ranked one after another... SHIT GETS ME GOING.

Also, Vergil has the hypest theme in the game, FREE. Shit just makes me wanna battle and battle and battle.

Top Bottom