• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There were people around that time saying the MvC3 standard box art didn't look that bad.

It really, really, really is that bad.

Ghazi

Well, I was out since 3 PM today playing Marvel at the arcade, all casuals, didn't even bother entering the actual tournament because I was so down by the time it actually started I asked to be taken out of the roster.

While I feel my neutral game is improving I can't legitimately gauge it because EVERYONE I fought had Hidden Missiles. Every little movement I made was hit by those godawful things, it only got better when I got to level 3 Frank and could "Tools of Survival" super my way out of it. I miss Jill, they don't have any DLC on the Xboxes so I had to play the Nova team and another Wolverine team. Frank is definitely getting better though.

I met a lot of people today though, and a lot were really enthusiastic that someone new and my age was playing, because it was all they talked/asked about. Sucks though.

I think it's time to get into Street Fighter, I don't even play that game and I won a good number of matches. Ibuki is annoying btw.

onionfrog

Well, I was out since 3 PM today playing Marvel at the arcade, all casuals, didn't even bother entering the actual tournament because I was so down by the time it actually started I asked to be taken out of the roster.

While I feel my neutral game is improving I can't legitimately gauge it because EVERYONE I fought had Hidden Missiles. Every little movement I made was hit by those godawful things, it only got better when I got to level 3 Frank and could "Tools of Survival" super my way out of it.
I really hate hidden missiles.
They can be really cool in some team compositions, but they're also a crutch that promotes bad play and lets people get away with stupid shit thanks to their combo breaking BS.
/salt
I miss Jill, they don't have any DLC on the Xboxes so I had to play the Nova team and another Wolverine team. Frank is definitely getting better though.

I met a lot of people today though, and a lot were really enthusiastic that someone new and my age was playing, because it was all they talked/asked about. Sucks though.
That sucks that they didn't DLC on any of them. Its cool that you met a lot of people and they were fairly welcoming.

I think it's time to get into Street Fighter, I don't even play that game and I won a good number of matches. Ibuki is annoying btw.
You should, its a good game to practice your fundamentals in. Its not as crazy as marvel but its still quite fun.
Who did you play as in Street Fighter?
If you end up getting the PS3 version at some point we should play, I'm really bad at it. :p

Ghazi

If you plan on going to more locals/events/tournaments then it's better to just stop playing Jill.

You're probably right. I just can't think of a point character I'd want to play more than her. Best point character ever.

They can be really cool in some team compositions, but they're also a crutch that promotes bad play and lets people get away with stupid shit thanks to their combo breaking BS.
/salt
Unfortunately for me, the people using it were very effective with it. Even with one missile hitting they could get a guaranteed pick and they often were able to accommodate for it's randomness. There's just no winning, everyone had Doom too. Which was annoying.

That sucks that they didn't DLC on any of them. Its cool that you met a lot of people and they were fairly welcoming.
Yeah, I think Dahbomb's right. I can have Jill team as a side team, but I need to get one that works on the every console. Everyone was super nice, lots of people were shouting for people to do level 3s and infinites on m, but most people didn't do any of them on me even though the next person they fought they were doing it every chance they had. Crazy amounts of respect up in here, even though I was awful.

You should, its a good game to practice your fundamentals in. Its not as crazy as marvel but its still quite fun.
Who did you play as in Street Fighter?
If you end up getting the PS3 version at some point we should play, I'm really bad at it. :p
Ryu and Sakura. #ballin

I want to play Chun Li, but I can't stomach charge characters. God they're awful to play as.

/salt
That's the primary reason I stopped using missiles. Ever since I stopped, I've become a much much better player. I only use them with Morrigan and Dorm now.
Ryu and Sakura. #ballin

I want to play Chun Li, but I can't stomach charge characters. God they're awful to play as.

Man I love charge characters......just not in Marvel. Shit is so stupid in Marvel and doesn't belong in my opinion

<3 Guile

onionfrog

That's the primary reason I stopped using missiles. Ever since I stopped, I've become a much much better player. I only use them with Morrigan and Dorm now.
Mad Respect. Missiles are so dumb.

I might end up using missiles on this Hsien-Ko team I'm working on though .Because she needs all the help she can get. lol
>_>

I've been playing around with Hsien-Ko(Pendulum)/Doom(Missiles)/Arthur(Daggers) and its pretty fun.

Ghazi

Man I love charge characters......just not in Marvel. Shit is so stupid in Marvel and doesn't belong in my opinion

<3 Guile

It's already a pain learning all the links in the game, I had problems getting consistent Sonic Booms so I just gave up and vowed to not bother with Charge Characters. It's an annoying mechanic, just give me my moves and I'll do the inputs for them, it's better that way.

Luckily, Hulk is like the only character in Marvel that has a charge move so I don't have to deal with it in this game.

I didn't mean that as in she's bad or not worth playing but because the whole removal of digital Marvel products means consoles that don't already have Jill/Shuma will not have them ever again.
Yeah I got you, I'll try to do what I did before and bring a USB with all the DLC on it but that won't work everywhere and all the time so it's probably smarter to have another all on disc team.

Dahbomb

I didn't mean that as in she's bad or not worth playing but because the whole removal of digital Marvel products means consoles that don't already have Jill/Shuma will not have them ever again.

FSLink

Banned
I get the dumbest hate mail online. Someone got mad at me for doing "boring zoning" with Hawkeye. Against Doom (who he hard tagged in when he was doing just fine with Dante).

I get the dumbest hate mail online. Someone got mad at me for doing "boring zoning" with Hawkeye. Against Doom (who he hard tagged in when he was doing just fine with Dante).

ya wel maybe if you played smarter like that guy and didnt resort to dumb face rolling with hawkeye maybe you'd get some respec u scrub

FSLink

Banned
ya wel maybe if you played smarter like that guy and didnt resort to dumb face rolling with hawkeye maybe you'd get some respec u scrub

Yeah, me and my "win or lose gameplay" he said. He was higher ranked than me, and sent the hate mail, I think he cares about winning a little bit.

I also am trying to learn Storm, and you guys are right, she's so wonky. :/

It's already a pain learning all the links in the game, I had problems getting consistent Sonic Booms so I just gave up and vowed to not bother with Charge Characters. It's an annoying mechanic, just give me my moves and I'll do the inputs for them, it's better that way.

Luckily, Hulk is like the only character in Marvel that has a charge move so I don't have to deal with it in this game.

Yeah I got you, I'll try to do what I did before and bring a USB with all the DLC on it but that won't work everywhere and all the time so it's probably smarter to have another all on disc team.
Charge projectiles are different from the qcf variety. Because they have a charging period, they have very little recovery. I think Sonic Boom recovers almost twice as fast as Hadoken. It is a balanced and thoughtful mechanic.

While I feel my neutral game is improving I can't legitimately gauge it because EVERYONE I fought had Hidden Missiles. Every little movement I made was hit by those godawful things, it only got better when I got to level 3 Frank and could "Tools of Survival" super my way out of it. I miss Jill, they don't have any DLC on the Xboxes so I had to play the Nova team and another Wolverine team. Frank is definitely getting better though.

How old are you?

A lot of folks here suck at SF and started recently you would be in good company.

FSLink

Banned
Do you guys mostly play on PC for AE? My GFWL tag is FSLink like my username.

Still working on my Sakura. :v

What does that even mean? :lol

I guessed it meant I played to win from the context. Also his zoning complaints is pretty funny considering he had Hidden Missiles.

Zissou

Does anybody know the specifics of the Alioune mag blast set-up? (where you spike them down at the end of the combo with j.S bring them to the ground and the camera follows them, and then off-screen, you air dash backwards, and throw a Mag blast). I'm just wondering if he does it a specific way (just j.S or j.H j.S before the back dash, how it's timed, etc.) that covers more than one tech roll option or something. I've been doing j.H j.S, back dash, light mag blast, which hits meaty if they neutral or back tech, but whiffs completely on forward tech. What should I be doing here?

onionfrog

So...
Wesker's gunshot goes through Hsienko's gong.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore. :(

EDIt: Nevermind, it seems somewhat situational. It only beats it for a short period after startup, which still sucks.

Do you guys mostly play on PC for AE? My GFWL tag is FSLink like my username.

Still working on my Sakura. :v

I guessed it meant I played to win from the context. Also his zoning complaints is pretty funny considering he had Hidden Missiles.

I have AE on PS3 and on 360. It's actually been a year since I've seriously played (besides my brief playing at Evo), so I may be a bit rusty.

And as soon as someone has missiles/Vergil/MorriDoom/Zero, I instantly don't give a shit what I'm doing to beat them. No one using any of that has any right to complain about anything, especially my ridiculously low damage teams.

So...
Wesker's gunshot goes through Hsienko's gong.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore. :(
Really? Had no idea. In fact I swore it didn't. Maybe I'm just thinking that because I know for a fact that Chris will blow his own head off while fighting Hsien-Ko

onionfrog

Really? Had no idea. In fact I swore it didn't. Maybe I'm just thinking that because I know for a fact that Chris will blow his own head off while fighting Hsien-Ko
It happened while i was playing Slasher. I'l have to confirm it in training mode later. It seemed like it went straight through the gong and hit me.
I think Lv1 buster goes through it too, though I might be mistaken.
0_0
Stay free Hsienko

FSLink

Banned
I have AE on PS3 and on 360. It's actually been a year since I've seriously played (besides my brief playing at Evo), so I may be a bit rusty.

And as soon as someone has missiles/Vergil/MorriDoom/Zero, I instantly don't give a shit what I'm doing to beat them. No one using any of that has any right to complain about anything, especially my ridiculously low damage teams.

I have AE on 360/PS3 as well, but I try to avoid the PS3 version due to the awful loading. :/

And yup, though it does bother me a bit when people just rage quit at my character selection whether I use MorriDoom or Zero May Cry, haha. It's like, this is the game we play! I do get a bunch of hatemail for "tier whoring" but whatever, I have fun with a variety of teams. :p Plus it gets me closer to placing higher in a tourney and then just switching to my Phoenix Wright team just for hype.

I have AE on 360/PS3 as well, but I try to avoid the PS3 version due to the awful loading. :/

And yup, though it does bother me a bit when people just rage quit at my character selection whether I use MorriDoom or Zero May Cry, haha. It's like, this is the game we play! I do get a bunch of hatemail for "tier whoring" but whatever, I have fun with a variety of teams. :p Plus it gets me closer to placing higher in a tourney and then just switching to my Phoenix Wright team just for hype.

I love getting hate mail but I generally try to accommodate people so they have no excuses, which is why I dropped my MorriDoom team and Zero/Dante/Vergil....at least online. I may bring them out occasionally against other MorriDoom players or Zero/Dante/Vergil players just to stomp them with their own team (which honestly means nothing), otherwise the only time I play those teams now is at tourneys.

FSLink

Banned
I usually stick with a Wolverine team or team Nemo online just for practice. If it lags badly and Strange dies because of a dropped FoF loop it gives me practice for using Nova and Spencer without a beam assist.
I did get hate mail once for team Nemo once saying I was "unoriginal for using Combofiend's team". :lol

onionfrog

Good Games Slasher!

There's a really simple Ironman combo that you could use:
c.LMHS j.MMHS dp L c.M s.S j.MMHS dp L -> Proton Cannon.
I know there are way better combos than that, but if you want something a bit better than ABC combos that'll work for starters.
Obviously flight combos and Krispy Kreme confirms are the real shit with him.

And that second to last match! Everyone always forgets when Hsienko comes in with Gold Armor already activated. LMFAO

Good Games Slasher!

There's a really simple Ironman combo that you could use:
c.LMHS j.MMHS dp L c.M s.S j.MMHS dp L -> Proton Cannon.
I know there are way better combos than that, but if you want something a bit better than ABC combos that'll work for starters.
Obviously flight combos and Krispy Kreme confirms are the real shit with him.

Yea GGs dude. Yea I'm really liking using Wesker/Ryu/Iron Man. It could be a nice secondary fun team. I'm pretty awful with Iron Man though. Gotta go into the train room with him. I have no muscle memory with his combo's. It's so infuriating trying to get his launcher to connect. I know simple Iron Man combo's but could't pull it off in a real fight. Oh well live and learn.

Still can't believe Wesker's gunshot beats gong. LOL

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Not gonna lie I am very satisfied with the current UMVC3 box art:

umvc3_ps3_fob.jpg

Only bad thing about it is Hsien Ko hidden behind the ESRB rating but that's not really the art's fault.

I hate the way Hulk has been added in after the rest of the picture was done, you can tell as it's very different from the rest of the picture.

onionfrog

Still can't believe Wesker's gunshot beats gong. LOL
Actually, there is a brief period after the gong appears on the screen when gunshot can beat it.
Its weird as hell because the Gong makes the reflection sound, but Hsienko still gets hit.
I think it only happens with Wesker's gunshot because the projectile is so damn fast.
Maybe the game gets confused and detects Hsienko getting hit before the projectile reflection triggers.
Once the gong has already been active for a second or so it reflects normally.

Nah, she can relfect all levels of Buster normally.

For a while Hsien-Ko completely ruined my Voomerang strategy because of those stupid gongs. Then I remembered the vertical Voomerangs, and the match went right back in my favor.

Dahbomb

I hate the way Hulk has been added in after the rest of the picture was done, you can tell as it's very different from the rest of the picture.
OMG LOL I just noticed this....

Holy shit that is bad! Like that looks like a legitimate bad photoshop.

But the overall cover is still very good though.

Frantic

Pretty sure Wesker's gunshot never had piercing on it at any point, and even if it did, piercing projectiles don't beat gong. It's just a case of hitbox vs hitbox/hurtbox happening, as far as I know. Gunshot has a beam like hitbox, so if the hitbox overlaps with Hsien-Ko's vulnerable hurtbox at the same time as the hitbox would touch the gong, it hits Hsien-Ko before it can be reflected. Or, at least, that's my guess.

onionfrog

Pretty sure Wesker's gunshot never had piercing on it at any point, and even if it did, piercing projectiles don't beat gong. It's just a case of hitbox vs hitbox/hurtbox happening, as far as I know. Gunshot has a beam like hitbox, so if the hitbox overlaps with Hsien-Ko's vulnerable hurtbox at the same time as the hitbox would touch the gong, it hits Hsien-Ko before it can be reflected. Or, at least, that's my guess.
Right. I agree with you, it's what I was trying to describe in the quote below:
Your description was much better than mine tho.
onionfrog said:
Actually, there is a brief period after the gong appears on the screen when gunshot can beat it.
Its weird as hell because the Gong makes the reflection sound, but Hsienko still gets hit.
I think it only happens with Wesker's gunshot because the projectile is so damn fast.
Maybe the game gets confused and detects Hsienko getting hit before the projectile reflection triggers.
Once the gong has already been active for a second or so it reflects normally.

Dahbomb

Someone one upped us by making a 400 page Mass Effect 3 patch list.

Although to be honest that was accomplished by Project M a long time ago.

Someone one upped us by making a 400 page Mass Effect 3 patch list.

Although to be honest that was accomplished by Project M a long time ago.

Mass Effect 3? Like it's multiplayer? Why does it need such a large patch? I'm currently going through the Mass Effect games for the first time right now. On ME2.

Yea not gonna spoil myself, but am bracing for the worst. My opinion so far is that Mass Effect is a terrible game but an enjoyable ride. Gameplay is barely serviceable and the actual story is nothing to write home about. Sometimes the game drags on as well to a point where I'm getting bored. The game shines with it's customablity and decision making. I don't know if anything makes a difference in the grand scheme of things but at least for now it feels like it does. I will say the series has one of the best sci fi worlds and lore with different species and histories since Star Wars. I have high hopes in a next gen trilogy.

Man Iron Man is irritating as all hell. If your spacing isn't perfect you will drop every damn flight combo. How is he supposed to convert of random hits. Apparently he doesn't.

Ghazi

Yea not gonna spoil myself, but am bracing for the worst. My opinion so far is that Mass Effect is a terrible game but an enjoyable ride. Gameplay is barely serviceable and the actual story is nothing to write home about. Sometimes the game drags on as well to a point where I'm getting bored. The game shines with it's customablity and decision making. I don't know if anything makes a difference in the grand scheme of things but at least for now it feels like it does. I will say the series has one of the best sci fi worlds and lore with different species and histories since Star Wars. I have high hopes in a next gen trilogy.
The atmosphere and world in 1 & 2 were pretty damn good imo, I went into both of them with low expectations though. I was disappointed by 3, but man is the action gameplay pretty fun (everything else was pretty much garbage, except some of the worlds/missions), the MP was surprisingly enjoyable as well.
Charge projectiles are different from the qcf variety. Because they have a charging period, they have very little recovery. I think Sonic Boom recovers almost twice as fast as Hadoken. It is a balanced and thoughtful mechanic.
Sure, but man is it annoying having to hold back to use them, I have so much respect for Sanford Kelly because of his crazy accurate timing with the Sonic Booms. I'd rather just be in full control of my character at all times (instead of having to hold back) and have all my options just a motion + input away from being used, in a game like Street Fighter, the recovery isn't a huge deal to me (because I won't be throwing Hadokens out 2 feet in front of the guy, most likely). Plus, for characters like Sakura, Hadokens aren't her focus.

How old are you?

A lot of folks here suck at SF and started recently you would be in good company.
17, but I look much younger than that due to health reasons. I'll probably start posting in the SFIV OT, I need to learn the game before Ultra comes out. I see at least you posting there a good bit, I read it from time to time.

Characters I've tried and liked: Ryu, Sakura, and Oni. Looking forward to the Chun-Li buffs, will make her much more viable for competitive play though, so I'll probably practice her a bit.

The biggest thing is, like I've said in the past, Marvel was my first fighting game. Going from what was basically my home where you can mash buttons and get combos, to SF where timing is key is pretty huge and annoying. I wish I'd started with SFIV first, I can't learn or get the timings for links consistently at all. Admittedly, I've only played the game for 3 or 4 hours though. Plus, I like how you can win in SF through pure skill, rather than BS in Marvel.

Ghazi

I think you're not approaching marvel with quite the right mindset O_O.

I don't mean I play that, I mean stupid stuff like X-Factor, Morrigan Astral vision chip, Vergil Spiral Swords and it's safety, stuff like that.

Not much of those types of things are in Street Fighter. But, Cammy's stun is an example of what I mean as well, in Street Fighter.

Dahbomb

There's BS in SF4 as well. You on AE PC?

Man Iron Man is irritating as all hell. If your spacing isn't perfect you will drop every damn flight combo. How is he supposed to convert of random hits. Apparently he doesn't.
You need to use the appropriate combo confirm for the appropriate space. He can confirm off of all super jump hits, all normal jump hits, all throws and almost all grounded hits (can't confirm from absolute maximum range of cr.M). He also can't confirm from a max air to ground j.H hit... well he can but that's an actual one frame link or close to it.

Dahbomb

Should be fine on Low and the backgrounds turned off. Turn off all graphical quirks.. it should be fine (still looks fine).

Top Bottom