• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Not a YouTube upload. :(

Hadoken is a pretty good assist for Akuma, and you can save up the ground bounce by calling it right before the demon flip dive kick with Akuma.

I haven't used Shuma with that team before but I think he might go well 2nd. Mystic Smash to get in + Tatsu seems like it'd be okay.
I bet that team has sick THC damage.

I would go with Shuma-Gorath second and DHC Akuma in ASAP. Don't run him with tatsu, it is really bad. Shuma-Gorath cant even move as fast as the assist, lol.

Here is the matches I had between myself vs SmurfxZilla, any critique would be very helpful guys!

http://youtu.be/NpvGqKd_L8o
Learn how to air dash with Dormammu.
Stop running into Double Lariat.
If someone drops a combo on you, don't just sit there.
Do...things with your characters. Dormammu and Arthur just kind of sit there and slowly die when you play them.
You armor Arthur like you armor Hsien-ko. Tag out.
Learn to j.S into crossbow with Arthur.

Just from two matches. I kept waiting for you to...do something with Dormammu.

Learn how to air dash with Dormammu.
Stop running into Double Lariat.
If someone drops a combo on you, don't just sit there.
Do...things with your characters. Dormammu and Arthur just kind of sit there and slowly die when you play them.
You armor Arthur like you armor Hsien-ko. Tag out.
Learn to j.S into crossbow with Arthur.

Just from two matches. I kept waiting for you to...do something with Dormammu.

I try to be careful when trying to get in, some of those times I get hit by lariat when I do not do anything at all, other times I try to get a trade with pipe so I try get a confirm off the pipe because of the big ass ground bounce from it.

All those times I got dropped out of a combo, I don't know what was up, I thought he was trying to goto try to reset me somehow, so I was scared to press stuff and crap like that.

I do try stuff, but I know Hawkeye Vs Dorm is in hawkeye's favor if hawkeye gets his game started. Also, I was trying to be somewhat patient, so I could choose the best moment to something, also I haven't played a REALLY good hawkeye, so I didn't know how to get through hawkeye's projectile game with my characters at all.

I am very scared of gold armoring it up with Arthur, because my arthur is not scary in level 3 x-factor at all, and haven't gotten his movement down at all, so I can't do arthur's scary rushdown/chip game at all if I don't have the movement to match at all.

I haven't gotten Arthur's j.S xx Crossbow movement down 100% yet, I have to learn the proper way to get the j.S xx Crossbow to come out before I hit the ground, because if you listen, I am trying to do it with arthur, but I am messing it up a bit during the matches.

Also, I do believe I need to play more matches with players on my level, if I play matches against players on SmurfxZilla level, I can't level up at all or show what my characters can do at all too. None of those matches you saw what my haggar could do, and my arthur needs more work on I know it.

I also made a post about my other stuff during the matches too, because there are more things then that I know I need to work on too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110422855&postcount=6942

Oh yeah, and DHC characters out before they die. Haggar is just there as a meter building meat shield for Dormammu. When you get low, wait for an assist call or arrow shot and RFF-> Chaotic Flame for damage.

Oh yeah, and DHC characters out before they die. Haggar is just there as a meter building meat shield for Dormammu. When you get low, wait for an assist call or arrow shot and RFF-> Chaotic Flame for damage.

Its fucking weird, sometimes I have to MASH on my pad to get DHC to come out sometimes, I do know what the fuck is making the DHC not come out property at all, but sometimes, even I do not call assists or anything, I do lariat, hyper, and cannot DHC out, even thought I have meter to do it, maybe its my pad that fucking up the DHC or something, or the lag online maybe, I don't know what is up!

Its fucking weird, sometimes I have to MASH on my pad to get DHC to come out sometimes, I do know what the fuck is making the DHC not come out property at all, but sometimes, even I do not call assists or anything, I do lariat, hyper, and cannot DHC out, even thought I have meter to do it, maybe its my pad that fucking up the DHC or something, or the lag online maybe, I don't know what is up!
No clue, I don't have that problem.

Solune

As a fellow pad player I've had my share of DHCs not coming out, it doesn't rule out the pad but alot of problems that I have are related to not going back to neutral or how the input interpreter functions...

I had a set with TWILT yesterday and alot of times my Bionic Maneuvers would not come out after an upgrapple... but I also have a habit of "cheating" with inputs because I'm used to shortcuts.

As a fellow pad player I've had my share of DHCs not coming out, it doesn't rule out the pad but alot of problems that I have are related to not going back to neutral or how the input interpreter functions...

I had a set with TWILT yesterday and alot of times my Bionic Maneuvers would not come out after an upgrapple... but I also have a habit of "cheating" with inputs because I'm used to shortcuts.
I didn't even know you still played. We should go at it again. I havent had a nice long set with you in like...a year?

I was playing team clockwork yesterday against my brother and I felt like I had to put up swords in neutral way too often. Having Vergil on point with one meter at the start is weird in a way. You can't just go nuts like when Vergil is in anchor. Also I never pull out a rapid slash. I feel like all rapid slashes are real telegraphed and I feel like it's a bad habit I don't want to have. Sort of like doing yolo footdive with Doom.

I was playing team clockwork yesterday against my brother and I felt like I had to put up swords in neutral way too often. Having Vergil on point with one meter at the start is weird in a way. You can't just go nuts like when Vergil is in anchor. Also I never pull out a rapid slash. I feel like all rapid slashes are real telegraphed and I feel like it's a bad habit I don't want to have. Sort of like doing yolo footdive with Doom.
Try playing him on point with no neutral assists. ;-)

Dahbomb

That's because you have to play honest with Vergil if you start with him. Rapid Slash is blockable when not in DT/XF (when he's in dark mode it becomes a 50/50 if he's going to actually do it... when in regular mode it can be reaction blocked). You can't put on swords willy nilly either unless you have Morrigan's assist (so ChrisG can do it but Clockwork can't unless he earns the meter). You also can't swing your sword like a maniac because characters like Wolverine, Nova, Magneto can punish you for free.

You have to play legitimate footsies, use proper block strings, proper mix ups and use the appropriate tools. You still have a get out of jail card with the Spiral Swords but without anything else Vergil is just a slightly better Wesker.

If you want to learn how to play Vergil... learn to play him with no meter, no assist no XF. You will become more mindful of his weaknesses and you will level up your play with him when resources are limited which also strengthens your play when you arrive at those situation.

Wait... what the fuck am I talking about? Put Vergil last and shut your damn brain off. Do Yolo Dimension Slash hyper into XF cancel, DT then go ham, cheese, croissant. Rapid Slash blocked? Do another one! Helm Breaker blocked? Rapid Slash! Didn't work? cr.L into Rapid Slash again! They jumped? Teleport Helm breaker or dash under and cross them up with st.S! They start blocking Rapid Slash 100% of the time? Do Judgment Cut L instead... it's your own 50/50! They die do the ShadyK mix up and win the game.

Solune

I didn't even know you still played. We should go at it again. I havent had a nice long set with you in like...a year?

I haven't invested much time into any fighting games since CanadaCup. I only go into Marvel 3 training mode to release frustration. What makes me mad about Marvel 3 players is their unwillingness to optimize their conversions outside of a few specific players.

I understand that due to the metagame it's not a necessity especially because the risk of dropping something usually results in a death or some form of comeback but it's at the point where I do not enjoy watching the game except for that random TRB that smurf linked or this past NMW.

I hate Hate HATE putting Vergil at the last position and winning like that. I use to run PW/Dante/Vergil and I would win the majority of the matches win Dark Vergil derpness. It feels terrible but it is a legit strat to winning. Also I realized the weakness of rapid slash when my brother threw me out of it. His Doom just scooped me and I wasn't even mad I was just shocked.

Ghazi

Jill/Frank/Strider is making a return baby! God, I love that team so much, now to learn all the Jill tech... over again :(

paolo11

I have decided to drop Doom and use Akuma because I feel more comfy about it.

How is this team for beginners like me?

Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma?

Also, are they a lot of players playing UMVC 3 on the Vita?

I have decided to drop Doom and use Akuma because I feel more comfy about it.

How is this team for beginners like me?

I would say that is a very good beginner team. Although if your using Sentinel drones it kinda does the same thing as Akuma's lightning tatsu.

Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma?

Also, are they a lot of players playing UMVC 3 on the Vita?

UMvC3 online on Vita is terrible. You would be lucky to finish a winning match. It's beyond easy to get a disconnect on purpose. So you see guys with like 500 wins and 0 losses.

paolo11

Who should be a better Anchor? Sentinel or Akuma?

Also, Sent is more like Dhalsim that relies heavily on flight JH or JM?

Who should be a better Anchor? Sentinel or Akuma?

Also, Sent is more like Dhalsim that relies heavily on flight JH or JM?
j.M is his best spacing tool.

Akuma should be on anchor, but watch out for assist calls with Sentinel and do HSF -> Beam for big damage.

Azoth

Banned
Sentinel is a lot like Dhalsim, yes.

Just like Dhalsim, however,you can't just use one amazing normal(his jM) the whole time and expect to beat capable opponents with it, though. You have to know what people will try to do to get around jM, and what normals can beat that.

jM is amazing, but the most common approach to beating it is to get under it. jH is good for shutting down that corridor, and jL is good for defending yourself if they're even closer than that, etc. All three are rather amazing, and you should learn to use all of them. Just use jM the most, and especially learn how to unfly/land and use jM as late as possible, so that it hits standing/crouching opponents.

i don't know why, but j.H for me has like a 90% hit rate online. if they block j.H, just go right into S and that should do the trick lol

i don't know why, but j.H for me has like a 90% hit rate online. if they block j.H, just go right into S and that should do the trick lol
My experience is the exact opposite. Right when I go for that j.H, which has a much smaller hitbox than one might think, my opponent dashes under me and hits me with a crossunder.

Personally, I never go for j.H unless I am backed by an assist. I suppose that, since I usually anchor Sentinel when I use him, my feedback comes from that perspective. I actually prefer to play Sentinel more grounded, with s.H/c.H chipping opponents canceled into Sentinel Force H if they got around it, and Sentinel Force L/M if they did not.

I tend to go into the air more against flyers and try to catch them with j.M, since Doom and Magneto players love to fly.

s.M is my go-to armored normal on the ground. It is especially effective against air dash characters like Nova.

I really miss Sentinel's MvC2 stomps. They hit at such better angles.

Azoth

Banned
sM is very good, yes.

But, IMO, a solo sentinel needs to be in the air 99% of the time, and an assisted sentinel needs to be in the air 85% of the time.

jH should generally be used in two ways;

1) As a safe way to land against someone thinking about closing in from 2/3rds to mid screen. The hitstun is huge and guarantees a combo on hit, and if they're outside of it's hitbox, which is vertically pretty huge and horizontally not bad, you're generally safe from their safe footsie options.

2) As an air to ground to beat predicted ground attacks. jH is one of the main reasons that Sentinel does well against Nemesis and against Hulk. It outranges sH from both characters with ease, and generally tells them that they don't get to swing at sentinel when he's in the air without trying to get ontop of him first. Jump Back jH xx Air L RP often serves this purpose, as it's the only jump back confirm he has and it can often jump back out of the range of the normals/attacks you're trying to counter.

I really wouldn't recommend using Spit much unless you have a VERY good lockdown assist, have a confirm from outside rocket punch distance(Like a THC or assist to combo off of it), or are fighting someone with bad mobility and low health. It's way too vulnerable if they jump it or duck it, and H Drones just isn't that good/reliable.

Learning how to use jM and how to use Hard Drive are both more important, but jL and jH are required for safe sentinel operation in the air in many situations. jL is also godlike and very often overlooked. You should experiment with it in training mode to see how much it's hitbox extends past it's animation, and at the confirms it offers(jL xx L RP xx HD, jL xx QCB+S+M after hitstop ends, etc).

paolo11

Nice. So Sent should be flying and making use of the J H or J M (if opponent is on air)?

If let's say someone is rushing Sent and Sent is blocking, can Sent punish that player using command grab or just use advance guard?

JeTmAn81

UMvC3 online on Vita is terrible. You would be lucky to finish a winning match. It's beyond easy to get a disconnect on purpose. So you see guys with like 500 wins and 0 losses.

In ranked you get a lot of ragequitters, but it's not such a problem with player matches. There are lots of people to play with on the Vita version, surprisingly. I'm always running into new people. The biggest problem with it is the random disconnects on PSN, though. I'm not talking about ragequits, but rather the network just pooping out on you after 3-4 matches. It happens constantly, but I'm so used to it now I just go dial up another match. I just wish it didn't always boot you all the way out to the main menu when this happens.

FSLink

Banned
I'm being informed that Strange's Bolts would be great for my team instead of Taskmaster. Thoughts?

I think it's okay, I feel Taskmaster is a bit better since Strange stays out there forever and Ryu doesn't have the best options to get people off of them.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I believe that Ryu main strong points are: DHCs, Shinku Hadoken, Hado SRK, and his overhead.

I believe his weaknesses are: Air mobility, lack of really good zoning tools, and good resets.

I use Shuma because his assist helps with people spamming against me, I can create fuzzy guards that allow for overhead set ups, and it's an OTG. I'm just trying to think of an assist that can really help out his other aspects or cover his weakness as well, which may be asking a lot. I'd be fine with a regular beam assist as long as the DHCs between Ryu and them are great both ways and can hopefully help me with Denjin set ups if it really comes down to it.

P.S. You guys are awesome for dealing with my BS

Seconding what Slasher said. We pretty much live for this stuff. I wish we had more fresh blood coming in here for advice. We don't tire of these things - it's fun. I mean, we did write a 100 page theory patch just for fun, so...that should demonstrate our priorities with this game.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
Seconding what Slasher said. We pretty much live for this stuff. I wish we had more fresh blood coming in here for advice. We don't tire of these things - it's fun. I mean, we did write a 100 page theory patch just for fun, so...that should demonstrate our priorities with this game.

Thanks guys. I'm sorry that I'm weird with my loyalty to Ryu and am a strong believer in his Denjin Mode. Which leads me to make combos like this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wUNP8KbvGas

Ahhhh, finding some sick punishes with Haggar/Coon THC against keepaway characters, also haggar has sooooo many hitconfirms after having Coon's part of the THC connect! Making a video now showing the stuff from I found from the THC confirmed

EDIT: I think I somehow found a new haggar reset for midscreen by accident, with a cross up Hoodlum Launcher, here is video with myself doing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmD8u8Y-hY

Also this happen when I was doing the THC stuff with Haggar/Rocket Raccon, so that is why I did the THC at the beginning

FSLink

Banned
Ahhhh, finding some sick punishes with Haggar/Coon THC against keepaway characters, also haggar has sooooo many hitconfirms after having Coon's part of the THC connect! Making a video now showing the stuff from I found from the THC confirmed

EDIT: I think I somehow found a new haggar reset for midscreen by accident, with a cross up Hoodlum Launcher, here is video with myself doing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmD8u8Y-hY

Also this happen when I was doing the THC stuff with Haggar/Rocket Raccon, so that is why I did the THC at the beginning

That's pretty sweet. Haggar/Coon needs to be explored more in general. I like Wright/Haggar/Coon myself. :p

I've been brushing up on team Nemo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_riIoEXMV0
Also realized you can get a snapback at the end of this, but I'd have to shorten the loop if I don't want to kill the character.

I've mainly been sticking to Zero May Cry 99% of the time now but I like having this team as a counterpick. Should I even bother though? I feel that team Nemo has slightly better neutral thanks to bolts + energy javelin, but of course it has weaker incoming mixups...still works most of the time since most people don't have experience against the team. Nobody really uses both teams at the same time so I wonder if it's redundant. :p

I do like team Nemo a lot against good Viper, Trish, Strider, players. Doom is pretty free with either team but if Magneto/Doom (missiles) I have to be more careful with the ZMC team due to the low health. Though maybe I should just start Vergil or Dante in those cases since I feel pretty confident with XF3 Zero nowadays

Dahbomb

Every team has worse incoming mix ups than a ZMC (unless they are unblockables). Team Nemo has pretty solid incoming mix ups... they are slightly more advance than your basic single layer 50/50 set up.

Team Nemo IMO can beat any other team in the game. There's no team that is worse than a 6-4 against it, even the two best teams in the game ZMC and ChrisG's team.

That said Team Nemo can lose to a much larger pool of teams than those other top teams. Team Nemo can lose to big body teams, pure rushdown teams even zoning teams (although it's most advantageous against full zoning teams). It all comes down to player skill really... the tools are all there on the team to make big plays and steal matches from the opponent.

FSLink

Banned
Well my point was that with ZMC having the best mixups in the game, if there was any reason to go with weaker mixups with team Nemo, even if they are still pretty good. XF2 Strange + Grapple assist is hilarious with the mixups you can do midscreen.

But yeah that's basically how I feel about it. I have attempted to use team Nemo against big body players before, and it obviously goes pretty badly. I sometimes pull a few wins here and there thanks to Dr. Strange solo but I feel that's more with my Nova and Spencer being weaker and the lack of people's character matchup experience against Strange. People don't upback in the corner more often against Strange when he no longer has XF (and even then it's probably still a good idea if you can tech throws well) or not watch out for the bolts snipe -> Super and call out an assist while grounded.

As far as vs zoning teams, I feel against any good player Zero + Jam Session will have a harder time getting good assist calls without getting chipped to death than Nova + Bolts + rocket punch super to keep them honest. Unless it's Magneto + Doom zoning, either team does well against that I feel.

SmokeMaxX

Nice. So Sent should be flying and making use of the J H or J M (if opponent is on air)?

If let's say someone is rushing Sent and Sent is blocking, can Sent punish that player using command grab or just use advance guard?
J. M is far better than J. H. J. Ms with fly/unfly can get hitboxes around the screen fast. J. H is slow and doesn't really cover the angles you need it to cover appropriately. It's okay in moderation, just don't rely on it. Sentinel does best in the air, but you'll have to learn to get good at blocking since instant overheads and multihitting moves eat him alive. St. M is one of his better armored normals but his cr. m is an unblockable on bad players lol. If you're getting pressured, command grab won't help but regular grab MIGHT (depending on how the opponent is pressuring you). Sentinel's kinda a terrible character so if you're going to play him, I'd heavily recommend learning hard drive loops since he's going to be left alone as anchor quite a bit and he needs to get a kill off of every touch if possible.

Frantic

Man, I come back to the game for a little online and I get two salty messages back to back. Feels good.

One guy said I need to "stop with my dick play", but didn't elaborate on what in my play was dickish. I was playing as I always do, and I know when I start playing like a dick because it's a conscious decision.

The other guy(who ran my exact same team, funnily enough) called me an Ouroboros Spammer, despite the fact I only used it, like, three times out of seven games(once in XF3, once in XF2, once XF-less). Funniest thing was that the three games he won were all with XF3 Strider(One of these days I'll successfully throw XF3 Strider out of a raw teleport online. One of these days!).

Top Bottom