• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I managed to find a sick Denjin combo with Ryu using Mags EM assist. I will be working on it since it does 930,300 and I have a net gain of about .7 meter or I can end to combo early net gain 1.7 meter and go for a reset. I hope to post a video about this soon. This combo isn't optimized yet either.

Azoth

Banned
Have you played a good chun? I can only think of 2 or 3 high level players that use her, in the world, so for most people the answer to that question is no.

She has good damage, the best instant overhead in the game tied with Wolverine, except she can combo off of hers, a special move that's invincible from startup to frame 11 and is ~+9 on block, and generally decent tools.

She suffers against zoning, but to say she "ain't shit" if you have a decent projectile is nonsense. She's mid tier, for sure.

The effort and technique it takes to play her at her version of high level will just get you better results with a different character.

From the general FGC populace, a lot of people think Chun is terrible because they only people they see USE chun, are terrible players that don't know any better. The only point at which Chun becomes a threat... when you can stop dropping her combos to start doing good damage, and start using her more advanced techniques, is also the point at which players start using primarily Top 10 characters.

Azoth

Banned
Didn't someone say you play Ryu?

Regardless, that's irrelevant. "A zoning team" means a LOT of good projectiles. You said "a good projectile", AKA, one good projectile special/assist.

If you meant "chun ain't shit against a strong zoning team like morridoom etc", then yeah, obv. Every mid tier character has their weaknesses. Sentinel aint shit against a good rushdown midget team.

But Chun really is chronically underrated, and someone that puts her on a Bottom 5 list(as she chronically shows up there) is not familiar with her higher skill-ceiling capabilities.

Didn't someone say you play Ryu?

Regardless, that's irrelevant. "A zoning team" means a LOT of good projectiles. You said "a good projectile", AKA, one good projectile special/assist.

If you meant "chun ain't shit against a strong zoning team like morridoom etc", then yeah, obv. Every mid tier character has their weaknesses. Sentinel aint shit against a good rushdown midget team.

Joe + Log Trap.

Or Joe by himself.

Frantic

I remember playing a good Chun-Li once. I got stuck in the corner and died. The end.
How are you supposed to block cr.M into either cr.H or instant overhead if you had the misfortune of blocking a lockdown assist while grounded? Shit is impossible.

Also, @Azoth: is it known that Sent can cr.M > fly > j.L for a combo? I did it by complete accident when I was messing around in training mode, and I can't say I've ever seen it before. It's kind of tight to link, but it seems pretty doable.

Azoth

Banned
I remember playing a good Chun-Li once. I got stuck in the corner and died. The end.
How are you supposed to block cr.M into either cr.H or instant overhead if you had the misfortune of blocking a lockdown assist while grounded? Shit is impossible.

Also, @Azoth: is it known that Sent can cr.M > fly > j.L for a combo? I did it by complete accident when I was messing around in training mode, and I can't say I've ever seen it before. It's kind of tight to link, but it seems pretty doable.

By people good with Sentinel, yeah.

It's an easier link if you use QCB+S+L, to do an Unfly Glitch jL instead of just a regular jL. I actually tried it once in the set, actually, but did it too soon and got a regular jL instead of the Unfly jL. :[

It's also extremely safe on block, so to speak. Even if you do a point blank cM to Wesker, it pushes him far enough away that he can't just jump forward and air throw you, and if you do Unfly jL, it trades with his stand normals or hits him if he tries to move forward, for example.

Azoth

Banned
Joe + Log Trap.

Or Joe by himself.

That doesn't shut down a good chun. Not enough vertical coverage, and nothing to stop her from triple jump + assist just like Joe and pressuring you, or double air dashing over IAD Voom into pressure, etc.

It does shut down a bad or mediocre chun that can't do any damage off an air to air hit, though, because they can't do her confirms.

That doesn't shut down a good chun. Not enough vertical coverage, and nothing to stop her from triple jump + assist just like Joe and pressuring you, or double air dashing over IAD Voom into pressure, etc.

It does shut down a bad or mediocre chun that can't do any damage off an air to air hit, though, because they can't do her confirms.

I just realized we're getting into theory fighter territory, so I'm going to give up and walk away.

EDIT: You bring up good points, for the record. I just really don't like theory talk.

Azoth

Banned
I just realized we're getting into theory fighter territory, so I'm going to give up and walk away.

EDIT: You bring up good points, for the record. I just really don't like theory talk.

I'm not getting into theory fighter territory. I HAVE played a good chun. I did a ~50-game set with DMG.Ludthinks, and while he's primarily a tourney SF4 player, he takes his marvel chun seriously and taught me a lot. I've also played long sets with a good Joe/RR player(Boy786/TGYMK), and other strong Joe players(Family, LPZ), so I know what he's capable of in general, as well.

I'm just saying, from an experience I've had with the characters standpoint, that you're selling High Level Chun a little short I think. She has good confirms, okay movement, the original TAC infinte, good mixups off blockstrings and good damage, she just lacks ranged options and oppressive normals. She's pretty mid tier.

Would High Level Joe + Assists have an advantage? Yeah, sure.

I'm not getting into theory fighter territory. I HAVE played a good chun. I did a ~50-game set with DMG.Ludthinks, and while he's primarily a tourney SF4 player, he takes his marvel chun seriously and taught me a lot. I've also played long sets with a good Joe/RR player(Boy786/TGYMK), and other strong Joe players(Family, LPZ), so I know what he's capable of in general, as well.

I'm just saying, from an experience I've had with the characters standpoint, that you're selling High Level Chun a little short I think. She has good confirms, okay movement, the original TAC infinte, good mixups off blockstrings and good damage, she just lacks ranged options and oppressive normals. She's pretty mid tier.

Would High Level Joe + Assists have an advantage? Yeah, sure.

And I'm not denying all that! I just don't like talking about hypotheticals.

FSLink

Banned
Anyone have any tips with Round Trip glitch + assist blockstrings? Especially if they pushblock and I'm not using missiles/Vajra.

Anyone have any tips with Round Trip glitch + assist blockstrings? Especially if they pushblock and I'm not using missiles/Vajra.
X-Factor...that's my only strategy to combat that outside of not letting Vergil play in the first place. I will always burn everything to kill Vergil and Strider. Those characters slaughter me.

FSLink

Banned
X-Factor...that's my only strategy to combat that outside of not letting Vergil play in the first place. I will always burn everything to kill Vergil and Strider. Those characters slaughter me.

Well, I mean tips on how to do those blockstrings. Yeah I'd burn XF too if the opposing player is doing it properly. :p

Sorry guys. I wanted to stick around but I was watching this Clippers/OKC game and the way it ended.... I'm just fucking livid. Marvel will not help this.

Holy shit I wanna punch someone.

FSLink

Banned
Cool, looks like Curleh Mustache South has an After Party with a public side tourney for UMvC3. I'll enter and represent NeoGAF. :v

If I could ever go to an actual tournament maybe I could have gotten in the official invite list, but I'm happy that a lot of my friends got invited. Hope they represent San Antonio well.

ggs. i like messing around with spencer/wesker/doom.

Sorry guys. I wanted to stick around but I was watching this Clippers/OKC game and the way it ended.... I'm just fucking livid. Marvel will not help this.

Holy shit I wanna punch someone.

i saw highlights, and that was an ugly combination of some pretty egregious calls, terrible play by cp3 (that fucking shot/flop attempt from 3/4 court, are you kidding me?), and poor defense (wtf was big baby doing out there, trying to guard kd on the perimeter). a lot of those shots the clippers made were poor offensive plays that just went in.

though i know that feel of collapsing and getting jobbed by refs. never forget the 06 finals.

Azoth

Banned
Bizarro moment playing with a friend the other night. At 2:28:43- WTF at the Frank leveling up thing?! It looks like the combo counter was still going even though Strider had died and Dante clearly flipped out of the combo, and the hit counter was the basis for what level to give Frank...?

Well, the hit counter is always the basis of what level to give frank, when he lands a picture.

But it IS a little confusing that the combo didn't break immediately, when Dante flipped. At first, I thought it might be because of the dead-body-combo glitch(the same glitch taht enables the crossover assault double character glitch), but the picture doesn't OTG strider and Doom's assist icon lights up immediately. So by all normal trends, the combo should immediately be recognized as broken.

Not sure. *Shrug*

paolo11

I got Wolverine and Akuma simple BnB down.

Any high dam ageBnB for Sentinel that does not involve flight or assist (I just need simple BnB)?

Zissou

Well, the hit counter is always the basis of what level to give frank, when he lands a picture.

But it IS a little confusing that the combo didn't break immediately, when Dante flipped. At first, I thought it might be because of the dead-body-combo glitch(the same glitch taht enables the crossover assault double character glitch), but the picture doesn't OTG strider and Doom's assist icon lights up immediately. So by all normal trends, the combo should immediately be recognized as broken.

Not sure. *Shrug*

The mysteries of marvel!

I got Wolverine and Akuma simple BnB down.

Any high dam ageBnB for Sentinel that does not involve flight or assist (I just need simple BnB)?

Magic series stuff is probably the best you can get w/o flight, no?

paolo11

Without flight or an extending assist, the best Sentinel has is an ABC combo.

I see. Thanks.

Question, do you guys still play UMVC 3 (like a Neogaf Fight Club or something)? Is it possible for a noob like me to join? I am preparted to lose a million times but improving at the same time.

I see. Thanks.

Question, do you guys still play UMVC 3 (like a Neogaf Fight Club or something)? Is it possible for a noob like me to join? I am preparted to lose a million times but improving at the same time.
With such an influx of players, it almost feels like we should have GAFbats for Marvel 3 or something. I wouldn't mind running it, but it would be really low key, and I would need folks to help me lay the ground rules. I'm thinking something like 1 set to play per week from Monday to Sunday. I'm not even sure what the usual flow of a ranbat is...

Anyway, if folks are interested, let me know by quoting this post. I'd want at least 8 regular players to participate. I'm thinking something like:

1) One set per week.
2) FT5.
3) Report results in this thread.
4) You must be wired.

Thoughts? I would only run this for the PS3 side.

Frantic

Bizarro moment playing with a friend the other night. At 2:28:43- WTF at the Frank leveling up thing?! It looks like the combo counter was still going even though Strider had died and Dante clearly flipped out of the combo, and the hit counter was the basis for what level to give Frank...?
The combo counter will stay on screen for a few seconds after an assist dies, even if the point character isn't in a combo. It's the same as when you kill a character with your point. When they die, the combo counter still stays on screen for another second or two as they 'die' and the next character comes in.

Because of that, since Dante got hit by the snapshot, it just used the combo counter that had yet to disappear because Strider was still 'dying'.

Azoth

Banned
The combo counter will stay on screen for a few seconds after an assist dies, even if the point character isn't in a combo. It's the same as when you kill a character with your point. When they die, the combo counter still stays on screen for another second or two as they 'die' and the next character comes in.

Because of that, since Dante got hit by the snapshot, it just used the combo counter that had yet to disappear because Strider was still 'dying'.

This has happened to me a billion times with my Dante/Frank/Sent team, and it always uses the hit count of the new combo. Unless the assist is alive and keeping the combo counter active, in that sense, I can't remember it ever using a combo counter that was about to be removed due to a broken combo.

In short, Combo Combo Combo -> They flip out -> Picture before the combo counter disappears won't get you a L4 Frank, if an assist isn't involved. It's based on the hit count of the "currently active combo", so to speak.

onionfrog

Anyway, if folks are interested, let me know by quoting this post. I'd want at least 8 regular players to participate. I'm thinking something like:

1) One set per week.
2) FT5.
4) You must be wired. (Internet connection)

I'd be interested in this. Gotta break off that rust. I haven't played seriously in a long time!
(Random select matches against my friend with a bad wireless connection don't count! :p)
That feel of dropping ABC combos due to lag! ;_;
I see. Thanks.

What console do you play on? If you're on ps3 I'll play you some time. (PSN: onionfrog)

If not we've got people here who play on 360 too.

paolo11

I'd be interested in this. Gotta break off that rust. I haven't played seriously in a long time!
(Random select matches against my friend with a bad wireless connection don't count! :p)
That feel of dropping ABC combos due to lag! ;_;

What console do you play on? If you're on ps3 I'll play you some time. (PSN: onionfrog)

If not we've got people here who play on 360 too.

I'm on PS3. We should play but give me time this week to practice my noob BnB. Perhaps this Saturday we could play. PSN: mchiefing.

With such an influx of players, it almost feels like we should have GAFbats for Marvel 3 or something. I wouldn't mind running it, but it would be really low key, and I would need folks to help me lay the ground rules. I'm thinking something like 1 set to play per week from Monday to Sunday. I'm not even sure what the usual flow of a ranbat is...

1) One set per week.
2) FT5.
4) You must be wired.

I'm down, my friend. Noob question, what do you mean by wired?

Frantic

This has happened to me a billion times with my Dante/Frank/Sent team, and it always uses the hit count of the new combo. Unless the assist is alive and keeping the combo counter active, in that sense, I can't remember it ever using a combo counter that was about to be removed due to a broken combo.

In short, Combo Combo Combo -> They flip out -> Picture before the combo counter disappears won't get you a L4 Frank, if an assist isn't involved. It's based on the hit count of the "currently active combo", so to speak.
I spent two minutes in training mode, killed Strider assist without touching point character, then ran up and snapped a shot on point character and got level 2 Frank. It definitely works.

If you want to get really technical, there's a little trick to extend the combo counter on an assist kill, which happened in the video. Characters don't start to 'disappear' until they hit the ground(unless they're Zero), and because of that, it extends the combo counter's time until the assist hits the ground to 'die' properly allowing for more time to snap a picture.

I'm on PS3. We should play but give me time this week to practice my noob BnB. Perhaps this Saturday we could play. PSN: mchiefing.

I'm down, my friend. Noob question, what do you mean by wired?
Wired = you have an ethernet cable going straight from your PS3 to your modem/router. No wireless internet allowed.

1) One set per week.
2) FT5.
4) You must be wired.

Sounds like fun!

Azoth

Banned
I spent two minutes in training mode, killed Strider assist without touching point character, then ran up and snapped a shot on point character and got level 2 Frank. It definitely works.

If you want to get really technical, there's a little trick to extend the combo counter on an assist kill, which happened in the video. Characters don't start to 'disappear' until they hit the ground(unless they're Zero), and because of that, it extends the combo counter's time until the assist hits the ground to 'die' properly allowing for more time to snap a picture.

This is odd, because the Doom assist light comes on, and he becomes call-able, the instant strider dies. I use this mechanic on occasion, to catch people off guard when they kill an assist of mine; and yet according to the combo counter mechanic, they're still present and accounted for. Game is weird.

Frantic

Game is weird.
News at a eleven!

Still, the game does register that an assist character dies before they are registered as "dead" and capable of disappearing, meaning you can call an assist/tag-out, but their corpse can still be on screen and the combo counter can keep going. Just another weird nuance to the mechanics of the game. Kinda like throwing someone on the same frame as an assist hits.

hitsugi

Wired = you have an ethernet cable going straight from your PS3 to your modem/router. No wireless internet allowed.

I wonder if it'd be possible for Capcom to add a way of selectively picking opponents online based on this. Connection Preference: Wired / Wireless.. It really makes enough of a difference for that to be valid.

Top Bottom