• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I'm not a fan of drones with "my Denjin" Ryu because drones don't really allow me to use Denjin as much as I'd like. I understand it's a great assist for Ryu but not really the Ryu I'm going for.

Here some more haggar stuff I found, haggar has a very awesome Instant Air backdrop motion, its basically 6321478+L or the other versions of it, but I used the L version it has the most range on it, its hilarious looking when you see it.

But, it is also hard to get out contantly some times because you need to Press the button RIGHT when haggar leaves the ground, or you get a pile drive on the ground. I will post a video of the instant air back drop shortly

EDIT: Here is the Instant Air/Tiger Knee'ed Backdrop with Haggar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4t4GyI0Vo

Seyavesh

Team Nemo IMO can beat any other team in the game. There's no team that is worse than a 6-4 against it, even the two best teams in the game ZMC and ChrisG's team.

That said Team Nemo can lose to a much larger pool of teams than those other top teams. Team Nemo can lose to big body teams, pure rushdown teams even zoning teams (although it's most advantageous against full zoning teams). It all comes down to player skill really... the tools are all there on the team to make big plays and steal matches from the opponent.

taskmaster + nova shield vs that team is astonishingly bad for it, honestly

nova shield in general is pretty bad for bolts-based teams but taskmaster adds on an extra layer of screwing nova over given that his coverage and counters make his general game pretty rough to do alongside forcing off the reaction/read speed tackle supers that he generally uses to gain traction/punish assists with.

but nobody besides myself plays that team so lol

spencer vs task is like really heavily in task's favor too but strange comes in 2nd on that team usually so eh. if he's not put second normally for the player then they definitely will when they realize that being able to DHC punish task+nova assist is a pretty massive part of that matchup

edit: forgot to mention the key factor of nova shield eating both bolts and being stackable to a degree (once you get the first one out, you can continually keep it out)

FSLink

Banned
I always run the team with Strange second. I usually don't mind vs Task with that team at all, but I can imagine it being pretty annoying with Nova shield assist. I can run Wesker too instead of Nova if I feel like I need the fast gun to snipe out assists...very handy against zoning teams who use drones too.

Dahbomb

You can just jump on the shield to absorb it. Taskmaster is not going to have crazy mix ups off of you blocking it. You go up to block it, then you call Bolts while their shield is on cooldown.

You can just jump on the shield to absorb it. Taskmaster is not going to have crazy mix ups off of you blocking it. You go up to block it, then you call Bolts while their shield is on cooldown.
Jumping on the shield is exactly how Nemo opens most people up. You are up-backing and too scared to tech because you need to block the shield so - bam - free throw.

Dahbomb

Jumping on the shield is exactly how Nemo opens most people up. You are up-backing and too scared to tech because you need to block the shield so - bam - free throw.
No I am talking about against Taskmaster plus shield assist. You just block the shield while crouching... what is Taskmaster gonna do... hit you with his instant overhead?

No I am talking about against Taskmaster plus shield assist. You just block the shield while crouching... what is Taskmaster gonna do... hit you with his instant overhead?
It's pretty hard to run into something and block. You almost always crouch cancel too soon or get hit. It's why people still get hit by Flame Carpet.

If you jump-block it, then you're open to a throw.

I don't think your suggestion works in practice.

Dahbomb

PRRog does it against Nemo a ton. He blocks face forward with Wolverine against the shield and then calls Plasma Beam. That's how he was able to apply pressure.

That's where I got the idea to begin with.

Like right here.
He literally does it 3 times in a row.

PRRog does it against Nemo a ton. He blocks face forward with Wolverine against the shield and then calls Plasma Beam. That's how he was able to apply pressure.

That's where I got the idea to begin with.

Like right here.
He literally does it 3 times in a row.
3 times in a row he jumps into it and blocks. He's not crouching blocking - what are you talking about?

Dahbomb

3 times in a row he jumps into it and blocks. He's not crouching blocking - what are you talking about?
That's what I said first!

You can just jump on the shield to absorb it.

Honestly PRRog does crouch block the shield too but I don't want to go through the entire set to find it. Maybe I will find it tomorrow. But jumping into the shield to negate the shield is legit as long as you protect it with an assist call. That was the point I was making.

That's what I said first!

Honestly PRRog does crouch block the shield too but I don't want to go through the entire set to find it. Maybe I will find it tomorrow. But jumping into the shield to negate the shield is legit as long as you protect it with an assist call. That was the point I was making.
You posted a video and said: "PRRog does it against Nemo a ton."

I think this is where the confusion lies - you started a post with a pronoun while we are talking about two different combating ideas. Not good for communication.

Nemo is obviously scared of Rog's Wolverine, but he's usually much more aggressive and catches people.

Dahbomb

I still maintain that chicken blocking the shield plus calling your own assist is a good way to deal with the shield especially if the shield is being called as an assist, assuming you are trying to rush down. I posted an example where Nova was using the shield on point and playing defensively because I assume that is what Taskmaster will be doing with shield in front of him.

I still maintain that chicken blocking the shield plus calling your own assist is a good way to deal with the shield especially if the shield is being called as an assist, assuming you are trying to rush down. I posted an example where Nova was using the shield on point and playing defensively because I assume that is what Taskmaster will be doing with shield in front of him.
I think it depends on the character you use. Wolverine has to do this because he needs to get in. He just doesn't have another option. I would never do this with my team and Firebrand, though. I would rather call Shuma-Gorath and command dash past the shield.

The Power of Gaia - A Storm Combo Video

These combos are straight ridiculous.
This is what happens when you main Chun-li and get bored.

Watching this, I wish Marvel had a reward system for varying your combos. Sort of like a DMC system where the more varied your combos are during a match, the more damage they do. Or damage penalties if they are too similar. Make people style it up.

Dahbomb

I think it depends on the character you use. Wolverine has to do this because he needs to get in. He just doesn't have another option. I would never do this with my team and Firebrand, though. I would rather call Shuma-Gorath and command dash past the shield.
Oh I agree. Vergil doesn't give a fuck about the shield. Any team with Akuma Tatsu doesn't care about shield.

I was talking about Nova + Bolts vs Taskmaster + Shield match up. In this match up Nova is probably going to go in more and Taskmaster would stay back.

Nice Storm combos but it just reminds me how pitiful her meter gain is. :/

On stream Yipes was talking about a video in which Vergil did a spiral swords raw tag combo into Dante and the combo kept on going but the damage was reset after Dante did a helm breaker. Does anyone have a link to this supposed video? He said if he could do it consistently he would put vergil on point on his sparda brother/mags team.

Seyavesh

that's totally the most legit thing to do but the problem is that it's a matter of spacing to be able to do so, yeah? taskmaster + the shield controls the space pretty well- to be getting in there you've got to have somethin' to really scare him away from the shield (or he's gotta do something really dumb). the 'nova is going to go in and task is gonna stay back thing' is a bit of a misnomer, as it's more along the lines of 'nova is forced to go in, while task has the option of shooting arrows at him all day long until he gets into the shield's space in which he has to risk himself and strange to be able to negate'

edit: note how in the vid you linked, nemo backs off when he uses the shield and when rog blocks it- think about how other characters could take advantage of standing inside the shield and pressing buttons on wolv as he tries to do so- remember that the shield eats plasma beam assist too

if nova gets in at the start of the match then he's in and it's the usual deal, but if task establishes any kind of space to where nova can't call bolts then the shield and set up and the match becomes pretty problematic

you gotta treat the shield more like a constantly active fireball as the user, meaning that you don't use it to run away but rather to slowly gain space and resources while forcing them into uncomfortable positions assist-usage and spacing wise. use it to slowly push them into the corner and eat away at their health/assist health

the big difference between point nova using the shield and the assist shield is that the point character is totally free to act while nova sets it up, alongside having different tools than nova that can take advantage of the shield more- in this case, it's task's arrows, normals and low/throw game. if they pushblock the shield they're just gonna get guard broken. if they dash up chickenblock, they're gonna have to guess low/throw assuming the assist they most likely called behind them during the blocking animations gets sniped by task or whatever assist he's calling at the time since the shield's out for awhile and you can call assists during the shield's deal

it's pretty bad for wolv, nova, spencer and generally all those chars who don't have a great forward-shooting projectile to help eat up the shield's durability

edit: like it's not free in the same way iron fist vs. morrigan is or whatever, but it's overall an extremely tough matchup for that duo. you really have to outplay the shit out of the combination if you wanna beat it w/ that duo

Dahbomb

On stream Yipes was talking about a video in which Vergil did a spiral swords raw tag combo into Dante and the combo kept on going but the damage was reset after Dante did a helm breaker. Does anyone have a link to this supposed video? He said if he could do it consistently he would put vergil on point on his sparda brother/mags team.
It's probably one of those bugged combos like the Deadpool combo.

Also MVC series has accumulated a total of 6.9 sales. Not sure if it's just MVC1-3 or it includes stuff like Marvel Super Heroes as well. Still not too bad... it's higher than Lost Planet!

onionfrog

Watching this, I wish Marvel had a reward system for varying your combos. Sort of like a DMC system where the more varied your combos are during a match, the more damage they do. Or damage penalties if they are too similar. Make people style it up.
Sounds like a bad ArcSys mechanic.No thanks.
The Power of Gaia - A Storm Combo Video

These combos are straight ridiculous.
Damn! I'm gonna have to learn some of that. My Storm is fraudulent

Azoth

Banned
You posted a video and said: "PRRog does it against Nemo a ton."

I think this is where the confusion lies - you started a post with a pronoun while we are talking about two different combating ideas. Not good for communication.

Nemo is obviously scared of Rog's Wolverine, but he's usually much more aggressive and catches people.

What?

The way Rog dealt with the shield in that youtube clip was perfect. It doesn't matter if it's wolv's "only option", it's an amazing option. Even if Nemo is scared of Rog, that kind of Dash Jump into Chicken Block is practically impossible to punish with ANYTHING, and it has plasma beam coming out behind it to give him ground control ontop of it. He's blocking it off the ground so he's immune to high/low, he's touching the shield on the way UP so there's very little float time where nemo can recognize that he's jumping and grab him, etc.

Did you mean that "handling the shield in that way isn't good in practice at low level?"

I understand that most players don't have PR Rog's level of control, and would likely get themselves hit if they tried to dash jump into Shield on the way up and block it while calling an assist. But at high level, it's obvious that it certainly is a strong way to deal with it.

What?

The way Rog dealt with the shield in that youtube clip was perfect. It doesn't matter if it's wolv's "only option", it's an amazing option. Even if Nemo is scared of Rog, that kind of Dash Jump into Chicken Block is practically impossible to punish with ANYTHING, and it has plasma beam coming out behind it to give him ground control ontop of it. He's blocking it off the ground so he's immune to high/low, he's touching the shield on the way UP so there's very little float time where nemo can recognize that he's jumping and grab him, etc.

Did you mean that "handling the shield in that way isn't good in practice at low level?"

I understand that most players don't have PR Rog's level of control, and would likely get themselves hit if they tried to dash jump into Shield on the way up and block it while calling an assist. But at high level, it's obvious that it certainly is a strong way to deal with it.
I'm talking about watching Nemo air grab top players all last weekend when they go to jump block the shield. I'm not saying it should never be done, just that good Nova players can catch you. It's something to be aware of.

Azoth

Banned
I'm talking about watching Nemo air grab top players all last weekend when they go to jump block the shield. I'm not saying it should never be done, just that good Nova players can catch you. It's something to be aware of.

If you incorrectly jump block the shield, yes, this is a problem. Blocking the shield on the way down during a normal jump leaves a large period of vulnerability, where you can be thrown. It's also easy to do.

The way PR Rog did it( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8nJuc_Tm64&feature=youtu.be&t=2m40s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8nJuc_Tm64&feature=youtu.be&t=2m46s), by dash jumping into it to block it on the way up, has a very TINY, almost non-existent, window of vulnerability. It's also harder to do, because you have to jump forward at the right point on the ground and then switch to holding back at the right point.

I think instead of being aware of the ways bad methods can be punished, people should just be aware of good methods, such as the one linked in that youtube video. Very good methodology by Rog, and undoubtedly part of the reason he won that set against Nemo.

The way Rog was dealing with it in that video, cannot be used against something like Flame Carpet, which does not have a high hitbox. Perhaps that is the correlation that is distracting or confusing you, I'm not sure. Shield is high enough where you CAN just face-first into it on a jump on the way up, which is practically impossible to punish, AND immune to high/low, AND allows you pushblock them if necessary and call assists, etc. Once Nova's shield is up, in a good position, this is definitely one of the best ways to deal with it with most characters that have decent dash momentum and a ground based game.

Azoth

Banned
Also if anyone wants some XBL games, today would be a good day to do it.

Point Sentinel needs more meat for the grinder MrDestructoid

Would be happy to record/host if someone wants some of their material up for critique, or to give sentinel tips if someone wants to see how he can work and how to up their sentinel game, etc

I can't agree with this either. I love flashy Marvel and combo and character diversity, but the object is still to win. Plus certain characters are meant to do certain things whether it's flashy or not and it could kill different playstyles. Combo video's and diversity will always be around in Marvel as that is what makes it so special, it just might not be viable to win matches with.

Azoth

Banned
I'll be honest, there's only one combo system I enjoyed more than the typical Versus system(huge nasty inescapable death combos + multiple characters so you can deal w/ it).

It was for a little fighter on Nintendo DS called Blade of Fate, a bleach game silly thing that was actually really good. It used a straight forward One Meter = Free Combo Breaker, and hypers couldn't be broken.

In practice, I feel it extended the neutral game. People started with 0 meter, so a start of the round hit was still going to make you take a lot of damage(meter build and combos were similar to Marvel, except sloppier in design, so some characters had infinites or very abusive meter loops), but outside of that, it turned the game into sort of a tug of war.

At reasonably high level, most players would break combos very very early(i.e., as soon as it was obvious they'd hit confirmed), so the neutral game would continue until somebody was caught with <1 Bar, at which point they'd have to wager whether it was better to break as soon as they built the meter from taking damage, or suffer through the rest of the combo considering that they'd eaten the start already. Some characters of course didn't give you a choice, because of said infinites or loops. Some characters, you wouldn't want to burst against unless you were in danger of being hit by their Level 3 which would do absurd damage, etc.

Some characters wanted to combo into a hyper right away, for guaranteed damage. Some characters, you'd want to save your meter against to avoid their combos, and some had less threatening combos, meaning you'd want to spend it on your own damage, etc.

I feel, with a little tweaking(re: remove infinites and ridiculous loops), and a good engine to put it on, it'd be hype. A lot of neutral game, with the occasional ridiculous combo still thrown in. Would it withstand the fires of highly competitive play? I'm not sure. But I'd like to see it.

GGs TWILT. I'm so sorry for the abysmal play. I could not pull my head out my ass. Poor choice after poor choice. My movement sucked, I kept dropping simple combos. Ugh.

TWILT

Banned
GGs TWILT. I'm so sorry for the abysmal play. I could not pull my head out my ass. Poor choice after poor choice. My movement sucked, I kept dropping simple combos. Ugh.

GGs. Yeah, I kept dropping a lot of shit too. My backwards plinkdashing could still a lot of work...oh well, maybe next time.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I can't believe I've been blind for so long. Hawkeye and Ryu are BFFs. If Ryu is having a tough time getting in I can DHC into Denjin from Hawkeye's Kiss of Fire and plink in and still have time to set up a mix up or use a super. Also Triple Arrow is also pretty good for a neutral assist that allows rushdown and overhead set ups.

Also if anyone wants some XBL games, today would be a good day to do it.

Point Sentinel needs more meat for the grinder MrDestructoid

Would be happy to record/host if someone wants some of their material up for critique, or to give sentinel tips if someone wants to see how he can work and how to up their sentinel game, etc

Same here guys, but being mostly a haggar player, I would be able to help any players that use haggar, I can record and give out critique too, and upload matches too with that, also, I do have various players on my friend list that love to play new people too if anyone is up for it too.

I consider myself my best character Haggar, because he is my point character and I always mess around with training mode too with him and I know the most about him and got a good damage BnB for him too, and I know other characters here and there, that I can try to help out with if you play with them too

Azoth

Banned
But... if you're using Ryu and having a hard time getting in... you can't DHC into Ryu?

I dunno. KoF -> Denjin doesn't sound like particularly good setups to me. Worst case scenario, you can just superjump to block the KoF and avoid any real mixups. I'm not seeing it.

But Hawkeye Assist is definitely good for anyone that needs to get in via the ground, like Ryu

I know the "I figured out my team!" feeling all too well. You will have it several more times.

Prozac, if you have any great videos of solid play with you using Sentinel on point from the start of the match, I would love to watch them.

Azoth

Banned
I know the "I figured out my team!" feeling all too well. You will have it several more times.

Prozac, if you have any great videos of solid play with you using Sentinel on point from the start of the match, I would love to watch them.

I haven't put up any point sentinel stuff in ~2 years, so nothing that would be considered solid by 2014 standards, not really. :]

Definitely up for volunteers, if someone solid wants to run some XBL matches against a point sent, though! ^_^

I haven't put up any point sentinel stuff in ~2 years, so nothing that would be considered solid by 2014 standards, not really. :]

Definitely up for volunteers, if someone solid wants to run some XBL matches against a point sent, though! ^_^
Someone do it so I can watch.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
But... if you're using Ryu and having a hard time getting in... you can't DHC into Ryu?

I dunno. KoF -> Denjin doesn't sound like particularly good setups to me. Worst case scenario, you can just superjump to block the KoF and avoid any real mixups. I'm not seeing it.

But Hawkeye Assist is definitely good for anyone that needs to get in via the ground, like Ryu

I would obviously switch out to Hawkeye before I DHC into Ryu. Also I would play Hawkeye. But if you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them please. Any help is always welcomed.

I miss Marvel.

I have some friends that work with certain illustrious fgc members, I wonder if I can weasel my way into playing a set at fgtv. It'd be super embarrassing, though.

Azoth

Banned
Maybe I'll do it. You have time for it today, Azoth?

Are you the guy that just invited me? "LegendaryPlaya7"? It said failed to join, which usually happens when the game's been closed or there's some network/port-forward issues, I think, and I couldn't add you 'cause your FL was full. Not sure if I remember the GT correctly, though, and it didn't make it to my recent player's list.

Frantic

GGs, Azoth/Mercurial Hg, gotta run. Fun games though, and you have a really sick Sentinel. Best one I've played in what feels like forever.

Azoth

Banned
GGs for sure :]

Dante/Strider gives sent a REALLY hard time, so it was hard to do the usual jump height neutral game.

I'll let it process while at work and upload it somewhere when I get back some time late tonight. For those curious about the score, we ran two sort of sets,

Sent/Frank/Dante v frantic's Dante/Trish/Strider was 20-7 him(ouch), though one of those WAS me accidentally putting dante on point, rawtagging at the start, and getting bopped lol

and Hulk/Sent/Dante v frantic's Dante/Trish/Strider was 12-10 me

I'll just upload it as a block, the latter part still has a lot of good 2nd-spot sentinel mechanics

Exciting! I have never seen Frantic play, so I am double thrilled to sew the upload. Twitch or YouTube, Prozac?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";111397738]I miss Marvel.

I have some friends that work with certain illustrious fgc members, I wonder if I can weasel my way into playing a set at fgtv. It'd be super embarrassing, though.[/QUOTE]
Just don't say you are on GAF. ;)

Top Bottom