• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

I saw a tier list somewhere that had Chris, Spencer and Trish as mid tierish so I put them all in a team. Spencer/Trish/Chris is pretty fun to play with even if I have no clue what I'm doing.

Dahbomb

I saw a tier list somewhere that had Chris, Spencer and Trish as mid tierish so I put them all in a team. Spencer/Trish/Chris is pretty fun to play with even if I have no clue what I'm doing.
Don't know what tier list you saw but Spencer is definitely not Mid tier. Neither is Trish for that matter. Chris I would say is a Mid tier but depending upon team construction and match up he can blow it up (which I guess is the standard for being Mid in this game).

Don't know what tier list you saw but Spencer is definitely not Mid tier. Neither is Trish for that matter. Chris I would say is a Mid tier but depending upon team construction and match up he can blow it up (which I guess is the standard for being Mid in this game).

I said Mid tierish. Spencer isn't top 5 but he is good. As for Trish, I don't know a lot about her. The tier list I got the idea from was Apologyman's tier list http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106761002&postcount=1036
Look at the Spence/Trish/Chris they are literally next to each other.

Dahbomb

That's High tier on that chart (with Chris being Upper Mid tier). Mid tier characters on that charts that are on the middle line or closer to it like Storm, Felicia, Amatarasu (as point characters, left to right is support value).

That said Spencer should still be a bit higher.

Hey guys. I'm sort of crappy when it comes to this game, so I wanted to ask something. Is there some specific trick to throws? I can never get them right for some reason, and I just do a random move instead.

Aieyla

Neo Member
Hey guys. I'm sort of crappy when it comes to this game, so I wanted to ask something. Is there some specific trick to throws? I can never get them right for some reason, and I just do a random move instead.
Be close to your opponent. If you're talking about air throws, be slightly below your opponent for best results. Make sure you aren't in the middle of a dash.

lawful

Banned
I can never win any ranked matches. People just pull their try hard pants all the way up to their scalps on there. Plus I'm not that great soooo0o0o0og0srdoyh0ero6uh

paolo11

Is it silly to run Sentinel on point?

Also, I saw Chris G.'s matches against J Wong on Youtube. His Morrigan traps reminds me of Spiral trap in MVC 2, does it not?

I can never win any ranked matches. People just pull their try hard pants all the way up to their scalps on there. Plus I'm not that great soooo0o0o0og0srdoyh0ero6uh

eh, ranked is whatever. like most people here have observed, you just have to accept it for what it is. the game itself can be extremely random, the netcode is not the best, and people do all kinds of grimy shit on ranked to get that 1 win. i would just stick with player matches.

Also, I saw Chris G.'s matches against J Wong on Youtube. His Morrigan traps reminds me of Spiral trap in MVC 2, does it not?

No, dorm is more like the spiral trap in UMVC3,

his Morrigan traps is more like Strider/Rocks in MVC2

prog

Neo Member
What kind of info are you looking for?

Elemental Rage stuff. Basically, I run Storm in the middle, Strange in the back. NLBC this week, had a moment where Vergil threw up swords, I did ER on reaction and realized I didn't have a planned followup. Trying to figure out if I can get a solid follow up off of it Raw with no x-factor use, and so far, nope. :(

Elemental Rage stuff. Basically, I run Storm in the middle, Strange in the back. NLBC this week, had a moment where Vergil threw up swords, I did ER on reaction and realized I didn't have a planned followup. Trying to figure out if I can get a solid follow up off of it Raw with no x-factor use, and so far, nope. :(

Storm gets nothing off ER, even raw, but that super does the DHC spin state so you can do the "DHC Glitch" and do a combo by DHCing into a character that does a super that wiffs that allows to combo after it. So if you have someone like Dante, your own vergil or a character that has a super like that, you will be to folllow it up after ER is done.

EDIT: You could time it right to do SRoR, and teleport and to the FotF loop with strange because I just saw what you strange at the end. But it could be a very tight hit confirmed if you are full screen from using ER and DHC into strange

Ranked is dumb.

The phrase "try hard" is for losers.

Sentinel on point needs the perfect team. Some combination of a frontal space control assist through Dante, Haggar, or Akuma combined with a strong projectile like Doom, Magneto, Rocket Racoon, or maybe Strange.

Can you DHC to Seven Rings and go for IP loops?

onionfrog

I don't think she can get anything off it without X-factor or DHCing into an install super as others have stated.

I think we addressed solo follow ups from elemental rage in our imaginary umvc3 patch notes! ;_;

Dahbomb

I would say that Vergil + Missiles is the game's Strider + Rocks of MVC2.

Morrigan plus Missiles is a different beast because fireballs are coming from the other side further limiting your mobility and options.

Dorm + Missiles is a similar thing when set up but much less oppressive. Zero plus Missiles in the corner is extremely oppressive if you have a bunch of meter.

Oh look at that... I observe a pattern here. Missiles are stupid as fuck.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I was wondering if anyone has tried anything for Ryu's Denjin Mode in the form team combos or similar. I found one video online the kind of demos it but he uses XF in most of his combos which I want to avoid. I have an alright one using Thor b. I was messing with MVC2 and was using one of Ken's assists with Ryu and Thor's b assist is very similar to it so I gave it a go and it does well since I can combo off a SRK H using it. But I don't think Ryu/Thor b/Shuma would make a great team but I could be wrong.

I was just thinking, if Ryu stayed powered up after activating, would he even be broken at all?
Not if it had the health drain.

Big fan, thanks for your template on SRK!

Nope. It's weird, if you do it while they're airborne, you can do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MII5boQkE9Q

But do it raw, not enough time.
Thank you.

Well, you could always burn X-Factor on Dr. Strange. I think that's worthwhile if you're taking out an important character on the team.

prog

Neo Member
Not if it had the health drain.

Thank you.

Well, you could always burn X-Factor on Dr. Strange. I think that's worthwhile if you're taking out an important character on the team.

Yeah, that's likely the best option. Just was hoping I could do it without spending the bank, you know?

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I was just thinking, if Ryu stayed powered up after activating, would he even be broken at all?

The health drain is what sets it back. Sadly there is no healing assist like in MVC2 or else I might actually see people using this mode more. I find the 15% speed boost to be helpful with pressure and zoning. I actually prefer to be in Denjin against sentinel or flight characters because the Hadoken super stops them from rushing in on me or trapping me. Obviously his Tatsu super is amazing for damage it's only problem is the hard knockdown since it throws them so far.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
If they removed that hyper and Ryu was just in Denjin as standard Ryu he would still be where he is right now. A small speed boost and better hypers aren't enough to make Ryu broken.

I agree with this. Ryu was never meant to be broken and I would not like them removing the install. I find it to be a great way to keep pressure. I like to use it for high low mix ups as well as keeping a block string to induce fuzzy set ups.

Zissou

You could be more constructive and say what your team is/what you're losing to/etc. and try and improve!

I've never understood using the term "try hard"- you're mad people are trying...? I guess it came from MOBAs.

Dahbomb

You could be more constructive and say what your team is/what you're losing to/etc. and try and improve!

I've never understood using the term "try hard"- you're mad people are trying...? I guess it came from MOBAs.
Yea it came from MOBAs.

Mostly from pub games where the other teams would blatantly steal top team strats and compositions.

MOBAs are also very fluid in their meta game so there are almost flavor of the month characters and strats.

It's still a very stupid thing to say especially in Ranked play.

Azoth

Banned

Not sure what you mean by Silly.

Sentinel is very Mid Tier and Assist and/or XF Dependent. He can be effective on point, but not as effective as an actually great character. He's a matchup character in a lot of ways, though, and will get very different results depending on the team he's up against.

Azoth

Banned

To quote myself from GFaqs a bit ago,

Azoth said:
I was going to go home and try doing the OP video by delaying the second jL in every rep, until the end of the air dash, to see if I could keep the opponent's height down and remove the need for any "eyeball" reps(which are not just mentally harder, but dramatically harder in terms of timing windows),

But then I checked comments, and saw some guy directing to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzFQryOV3A

Which is actually a more intuitive approach to removing the height issue. In short, it's a better version of the OP Video, at least in the corner.

There is an easier version of the new version that is more consistent, but it still requires the first hits to be eyeballed / timed with ho input buffer/hitstop margin for error, etc.

lawful

Banned
My team is Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, and Doctor Doom. I'm unsure of the proper placement. I sometimes use Shuma-Gorath and Dormammu as well as Phoenix if I want to insta-win. I want to get better I just need to shown the way. The current set of people I play with are either worse than I am (so I beat their asses all the time) or way better than I am (so they beat my ass all the time). But the good people don't really teach me anything. They say a few things in between infinite loops but it's not really helpful when I'm trying as hard as I can to keep my guys alive. I need a mentor in this game hardcore. I play on 360, if any one wants to help em and play some friendly matches PM me. I don't rage quit, I don't talk trash, I don't catch feelin's. I also have a TON of other fighters too.

My team is Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, and Doctor Doom. I'm unsure of the proper placement. I sometimes use Shuma-Gorath and Dormammu as well as Phoenix if I want to insta-win. I want to get better I just need to shown the way. The current set of people I play with are either worse than I am (so I beat their asses all the time) or way better than I am (so they beat my ass all the time). But the good people don't really teach me anything. They say a few things in between infinite loops but it's not really helpful when I'm trying as hard as I can to keep my guys alive. I need a mentor in this game hardcore. I play on 360, if any one wants to help em and play some friendly matches PM me. I don't rage quit, I don't talk trash, I don't catch feelin's. I also have a TON of other fighters too.
Always list your assists.

Ghost Rider + Plasma Beam is the best there is for him. I hope that's what you are using. Jam Session, Hidden Missiles, and Unibeam are also very good. Bolts of Balthakk is not good for him. The only projectiles worth using with Ghost Rider are those that let him convert off of j.S the second you leave the ground. If you were on the PS3, I would show you how to rock him. Mystic Ray is pretty good for Ghost Rider, but then you have two bad X-Factor characters on your team.

lawful

Banned
Always list your assists.

Ghost Rider + Plasma Beam is the best there is for him. I hope that's what you are using. Jam Session, Hidden Missiles, and Unibeam are also very good. Bolts of Balthakk is not good for him. The only projectiles worth using with Ghost Rider are those that let him convert off of j.S the second you leave the ground. If you were on the PS3, I would show you how to rock him. Mystic Ray is pretty good for Ghost Rider, but then you have two bad X-Factor characters on your team.

Someone was trying to tell me the other day that Shuma-Gorath is the most damaging character in the game. I was like da fuq u talkin bout

Someone was trying to tell me the other day that Shuma-Gorath is the most damaging character in the game. I was like da fuq u talkin bout
Not the most, but Shuma-Gorath has crazy corner damage. Let me go get you a video...

Here:
UMVC3 - Shuma-Gorath combos シュマゴラスコンボの詰合せでシュ!: http://youtu.be/4IYe4Hep2Sc

There is also a high level Shuma/Strange/RR player in Japan.

Not him, but I mostly get annoyed that I always find the same teams. I understand half of the roster is really good and the other half is just terrible and not worth using, but at least give me some variety.
Don't want to complain, though, it's not like it's different for other fighting games.
I agree on the "try to improve", though. I was absolutely rubbish when I started and, while I'm still pretty terrible (850 defeats), I did get 700 victories with my equally rubbish team (Wright/Frank/Spencer). Just learn how the other characters work, make a viable team (=don't follow my example) and learn from your mistakes. That's the basic of fighting games, I think.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I love my Ryu/Shuma shell. I strongly believe Shuma covers most of Ryu's flaws. I'm trying to find a second assist that will allow amazing combos with Denjin. So far my most damaging one is with Thor b because it hit allows comboing with SRK H which is base 150,000 and Shuma's OTG allows me to end the combo with Ryu's Baku Hadoken which also 150,000 before going into his Denjin Hurricane Super. My only problem is I'm not sure how practical that would be as a team.

lawful

Banned
I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now: how do you combo into Penance Stare with Rider? I don't think it can be done. But I'm trying to come up with a fool proof way to get it every time but I'm coming up short. I know he is a terrible anchor but dat level 3 X-factor penance stare is just so sexy.

I love my Ryu/Shuma shell. I strongly believe Shuma covers most of Ryu's flaws. I'm trying to find a second assist that will allow amazing combos with Denjin. So far my most damaging one is with Thor b because it hit allows comboing with SRK H which is base 150,000 and Shuma's OTG allows me to end the combo with Ryu's Baku Hadoken which also 150,000 before going into his Denjin Hurricane Super. My only problem is I'm not sure how practical that would be as a team.
We should play soon. I want to see this in action. What is your schedule like?

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now: how do you combo into Penance Stare with Rider? I don't think it can be done. But I'm trying to come up with a fool proof way to get it every time but I'm coming up short. I know he is a terrible anchor but dat level 3 X-factor penance stare is just so sexy.
Command grabs (and grabs in general) can never be comboed into. Your best option is to XFC blockstun into Penance Stare if you want to make use of it on anchor, but good opponents will be watching for it

lawful

Banned
Command grabs (and grabs in general) can never be comboed into. Your best option is to XFC blockstun into Penance Stare if you want to make use of it on anchor, but good opponents will be watching for it

Remember I don't know that much so I'm going to assume you mean go into x-factor as a way to get the guy off of me and then immediately do it while he is stunned yeah?

onionfrog

We should get a mod to change this thread title...
There's never gonna be a patch.

It's crazy to think that it's almost been a year since we started the theory patch discussion.

Top Bottom