• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Azoth

Banned
It's gonna be on youtube sometime after midnight EST

And Frantic's pretty nasty, yeah. Very very nice dante and strider, and dropped less stuff than me today :p

Frantic

Exciting! I have never seen Frantic play, so I am double thrilled to sew the upload. Twitch or YouTube, Prozac?
I was playing fairly well today, so it'll be a good showcase for my good days, heh.

And Frantic's pretty nasty, yeah. Very very nice dante and strider, and dropped less stuff than me today :p
Haha, I was surprised by my lack of drops, usually I drop more stuff! Heh, after the first few games of stiff fingers, I was playing on point for the most part. Started slipping when I was readjusting to Hulk on point, but managed to get it mostly back near the end.

Azoth

Banned
Says it's gonna take 4 hours to upload, lolol. Shoulda processed at lower quality.

Ah well. Gonna be a while, but at least it'll have dat 1080p.

Azoth

Banned
Sentinel's jH won me like, 10 games. I mean, you only have to go 42 seconds into the video to see jH win a game, by eliminating an assist's projectile, and hitting a point character for a happy birthday, all while outside of Dante's huge sword normals range. Tags people the exact same way, from it's max 45-degree reach, like 20 more times throughout the set; such as at 44:00, and then straight up snuffs a SNAPBACK at 44:17. It's an amazing normal with huge vertical reach and 8 years of hitstun, as I mentioned. jH is the hero every character wishes they had, jM is just good enough to steal the show. jL is just there for safety when they're on your ankles, precision overheads and double overheads, and blockstrings to make Hard Drive safe(er).

If anything, Spit was the normal doing me in. The number of times straight up teleport or vajra bopped me out of it, ugh. So hard to play Sentinel against Vajra, when someone who loves it like Dante is making you fear it. It turns Sentinel's safe air neutral into opportunities for the opponent.

And I don't tend to auto-pilot and miss easy hit conversions, it just wasn't one of my on-point days. I even dropped a TK RP, and I haven't done that in like a month. But it happens. Not my cleanest play by any means, but there's much to see all the same, and citanarf's play would have been worth putting up in of itself.

Frantic, does the Million Stabs that you do for lockdown after Grapple Resets catch raw tags?

Zissou

I watched about 40 min of it. Good stuff. I saw Sentinel's s.M and j.H hitboxes screw you over so many times. It also seems like you tend to autopilot Sentinel a bit and miss easy hit conversions, though it is still one of the best Sentinels I have ever seen. I would so play him on point if I could back him with tracking Purification.

Jam session is the next best thing!

Frantic

Frantic, does the Million Stabs that you do for lockdown after Grapple Resets catch raw tags?
Yeah, it does. If I time it all correctly, the mixup I get off it will also allow for a combo against a raw tag, but it's kinda strict. It also catches people who love to mash grabs, so it's a safe way to get some decent oki if you know you can't kill.

Azoth

Banned
Yeah, it does. If I time it all correctly, the mixup I get off it will also allow for a combo against a raw tag, but it's kinda strict. It also catches people who love to mash grabs, so it's a safe way to get some decent oki if you know you can't kill.

Cool

The setup I usually used when I ran point dante, was Meaty IAD jM + Call Shopping Cart. If they raw tag, the jM wiffs and you can block the tag, and cart allows you to IAD jM -> look for hit confirm -> combo while still holding back to block the raw tag, and allows you to do another mixup if they block the jM,

Online, it... doesn't always go as planned, lel. But that's the hope. When I did them to you, I just expected you to hard tag the first time, and went low the second. Wasn't feeling fancy, with all those drops, lol.

We should definitely get some more sets in some time, might be playing a little better, and I've still got point dante and point modok tech to show you ;]

That Frank tho!!!! I wish I could play him half as good as you can, geez. I hope you don't mind if I lift some combos and those funny face crusher setups off the video.

Same goes for Frantic's Dante, ridiculous stuff.

Lol, thanks. To be honest, I feel pretty rusty with Frank these days. I use Hulk/Sent/Dante and Modok/Sent/Dante almost exclusively lately, and Dante/Frank/Sent was the team I used for a long time. So it's kind of just, how much stuff with frank do I remember, lol.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";111530413]Sentinel/Dante is just the most fun stuff ever. It's like going fishing.[/QUOTE]

It really is a blast. I just could never find a team that I liked enough to run that shell. Recently I started playing Dante/Sentinel/Strange. I suck ass with them at the moment but it's so damn fun. My Strange is just such a fraud. I can't even beat Doom, and that's a really easy matchup.

Those matches were a fun watch guys. Good stuff. I've actually played you before Azoth, but it was a long ass time ago so I don't remember how it went. I haven't played on xbl in quite a while.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";111530413]Sentinel/Dante is just the most fun stuff ever. It's like going fishing.[/QUOTE]
But fishing is boring.

Kimosabae

Banned
Allright, I need help. I need a blueprint/roadmap for my team - Wesker (gunshot)/Dante (Weasel)/Magnus(Dis) and Dante/Wesker/Magnus.

I quit this game for a few years and had a ton of tech and a great approach I was developing until I stopped playing. Now, getting back into things, I've had a hard time finding what my focus should be, considering the meta has changed so much. While the team has okay synergy - it's pretty much garbage in a bracket unless I can maximize it. In terms of damage in particular. Only starting Wesker can I even get to 900k with two meters. It has reset potential with unblockables and a strong neutral with Magnus beam, but if I can't consistently kill people, it feels worthless.

I need guidance. I don't have the time to whittle way at training mode until something assembles anymore. I need good incoming setups ideas, combo ideas, neutral ideas - whatever you can give me.

Also, I need some help with using Jam Session. Never really considered using it until now. I need good confirms with Magnus and Wesker using this Assist so I can add some depth to my team.

I know this post is a bit unfocused but that's mostly a reflection of how lost I feel right now. Any help will be appreciated.

Allright, I need help. I need a blueprint/roadmap for my team - Wesker (gunshot)/Dante (Weasel)/Magnus(Dis) and Dante/Wesker/Magnus.

I quit this game for a few years and had a ton of tech and a great approach I was developing until I stopped playing. Now, getting back into things, I've had a hard time finding what my focus should be, considering the meta has changed so much. While the team has okay synergy - it's pretty much garbage in a bracket unless I can maximize it. In terms of damage in particular. Only starting Wesker can I even get to 900k with two meters. It has reset potential with unblockables and a strong neutral with Magnus beam, but if I can't consistently kill people, it feels worthless.

I need guidance. I need good incoming setups ideas, combo ideas, neutral ideas - whatever you can give me.

Also, I need some help with using Jam Session. Never really considered using it until now. I need good confirms with Magnus and Wesker using this Assist so I can add some depth to my team.

I know this post is a bit unfocused but that's mostly a reflection of how lost I feel right now. Any help will be appreciated.

Check out Yipes, he plays the same Wesker team you are doing, and he has his resets, and various stuff with that, but, He uses Dante's weasel shot assist instead of Jam session. He doesn't use Jam Session with Wesker because it scales HEAVY with Wesker, making him almost do no damage off a combo on it, basically the only reason to use this team with Jam Session if your running Magneto first, because he LOVES Jam Session, even thought it scales for him too, he builds TONS of meter because of the hit confirmed he gets off it. Using with point Wesker doesn't help at all.

Check out this video, best of Yipes using that Wesker team of himself playing against Nemo at capcom cup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryEUZkLsf7c

Not 100% sure what all the resets or various tech with that team, but try to find more videos of him using that team, but you can find more videos and stuff and try to see what Yipes does with his team for damage and stuff.

Also with your team, there are two routes you can goto if you ONLY want to drop one character. First route is using Dante/Vergil/Magneto, this team allows Dante to ToD off throws even, and allows you to have a good neutral assist too(With Jam Session) because how good it is with Magngeto and Vergil backed by that.

The other route you could go is Drop Dante and do Wesker/Vergil/Magneto, you still have a more easy to use overall team, and less exicution heavy team now, but you lose a very good neutral assist with dante even thought you get a OTG assist with Wesker. Overall this team helps with Wesker's Damage output and you get a ToD off anything now too with him in the back.

There are other routes too with your team, you could Drop Wesker and Mags and pick up Vergil and Strider, very good neutral assist for Dante and Vergil and gives you access to two of the best anchor characters in the game, and still get ToD all day.

Basically if you want a better chance in todays metagame, you would need to drop a character for Vergil, or learn all of the tech that Yipes can show you in his match vidoes. In UMVC3, you can win with your own team, but you will have a harder time fighting against the top tier teams, Morg/Doom/Vergil, Wolverine/Doom/Vergil, Zero/Vergil/Dante, etc.

But even Kaneblueriver, Justin Wong and even more people can still some the best UMVC3 players using teams that are not top tier, so can you, you just need to find what team fits you! If top tier is your choice, go top tier, if mid/low tier teams are you thing, go right ahead, its UMVC3, any team can would(Besides Hsien-Ko/Iron Fist/Phoenix Wright) and you can win with!

I need guidance. I don't have the time to whittle way at training mode until something assembles anymore. I need good incoming setups ideas, combo ideas, neutral ideas - whatever you can give me.

Are you really intent on playing that team? If you're willing to switch out Magneto for Strider then you've got a damn solid team. Not that you're team is bad, but Strider will make it so much better in my opinion.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with having to go for resets, it's pretty much all I do......though my endgame is different. I save my meter for very specific things depending on what team I'm using.

Kimosabae

Banned
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was actually messing with Strider today. Just not sure how much time I want to put into learning a new character at this point - especially a character with a ceiling like Strider. Could you give me an idea of how I'd go about implementing Strider on that team? Strider was one of my first characters when Ultimate first dropped, but I've retained practically nothing that I developed with him and Clock has really raised the standard for him.

What's his solo BnB look like nowadays?

If you are going to use that team, I think you need to swap Dante to Jam Session. Weaker needs an anti-air in this meta. Strider is even better, but I don't think it is necessary.

Jam Session is your primary incoming mix up tool. Call it and dash under your opponent - easy.

JeTmAn81

Wesker/Dante/Strider also doesn't give you much damage, but the reset and neutral game are probably a good bit stronger than running Magnus. It's been my main team since Ultimate dropped. You can play that team for a long time without really learning Strider, just using his assist and going nuts with XF3/Ouroboros, but ultimately you will want to learn how to play him for those times when you need real Strider play. I don't even do real Strider combos so I can't tell you what the best one would be. Need to work on my Strider.

If you are going to use that team, I think you need to swap Dante to Jam Session. Weaker needs an anti-air in this meta. Strider is even better, but I don't think it is necessary.

Jam Session is your primary incoming mix up tool. Call it and dash under your opponent - easy.

I don't think that assist works well with Wesker at all, if I do say so, he either needs to move off from wesker to vergil or try to pick up what Yipes shows off in his wesker team videos. I just feel that Jam Session limits the damage output that Wesker does because how bad it scaled combos with characters that do not have good scaling at all.

OR Pick up Wesker/Dante/Strider, that is one of the best overall wesker team. You would Weasel Shot and Vajra and that team and that would be the best assist for that team using those characters on that team IMO

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was actually messing with Strider today. Just not sure how much time I want to put into learning a new character at this point - especially a character with a ceiling like Strider. Could you give me an idea of how I'd go about implementing Strider on that team? Strider was one of my first characters when Ultimate first dropped, but I've retained practically nothing that I developed with him and Clock has really raised the standard for him.

What's his solo BnB look like nowadays?

TWILT plays the team so he'll be able to answer much better than me....I just mess with it on occasion because it's fun and fairly easy to play. Though Twilt plays with Weasel Shot, and I play it with Jam Session

Both Wesker and Dante can get a combo off of an airborne Vajra hit very easily and the teleports and good mobility from both characters make getting a Vajra hit easy as well, and that's what makes the team pretty good. You still aren't getting much damage though. Wesker can also make excellent use of command grabs if the opponent decides he'd rather stay grounded out of fear of Vajra.

Strider certainly isn't doing damage. It's a ton of resets and mixups. And he can put a lot of pressure on you with assists and his j.qcf+L. I abuse the hell out of that move, though you have to be careful of people popping xf and grabbing you. On your team he would exclusively be the anchor........though you will probably get snapped in....a lot. But he can make great use of Jam Session and probably Weasel Shot as well. At least if you get snapped at the beginning you'll have xf3 Wesker.

As far as Strider bnb's go, I have no idea since I rarely watch videos. I just make up my own shit. But even Clock can't break a ton of damage even with his wicked ass combos, the scaling for Strider is just ridiculous. Even in xf it can be difficult to get a kill from one combo unless you're in the corner. There's some advanced stuff mid screen but I don't mess with it too much out of fear of dropping it. Bad drops with Strider = death. Dude has no health.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm gonna try and ask more specific questions tomorrow. Try to hold off until then if you guys can, so I don't get too overwhelmed. That Yipes video doesn't help much since I've been playing that team longer than him. We both have the same problem with the team, the main difference being only one of us is updated in the meta and was smart enough to drop it for team Nemo.

There's just a lot of little new things it seems I need help with. Mostly in regards to Dante. I've heard he's had new developments to his solo BnB that allow him to eek out more damage (for example) but I'm hazy on specifics. I heard Yipes say something about a double Volcano combo one time.

*edit*

Good looking out, Mango and Flying.

From memory, Strider has two bnbs that get used based on how confident you are.

Easy bnb:
c.LMHS, sj.H, qcf.L, j.MMHS

Hard bnb:
c.LMH, dp.L , qcb.S, qcb.S, qcf.S, LMH, dp.L (before grounded), qcb.S, qcb.S, rdp.H

The first one you can sometimes add a little more depending on launch height.

From rdp.M:
j.H, s.H, c.H, f.H, etc.

Just a way to maximize damage at the start.

Dahbomb

Right now in the meta there are about 4 to 5 Wesker teams that are potent enough to make it far in a stacked bracket.

Wesker/Vergil/Strider - Big damage with SS DHC, Vajra for AA coverage that Wesker needs. All 3 capable of playing anchor. Can play Vergil on point for hard match ups. No good horizontal assist so you are super reliant on Vajra..

Wesker/Vergil/Magneto or Doom or Taskmaster or Hawkeye or Strange or Iron Man or Arthur - Specializes in horizontal coverage with a beam/arrow assist. You pick what you can play. Still retains the Vergil powerful DHC but you are trading Vajra for a horizontal assist.

Wesker/Doom/Strider - This is like a variation of Clockwork's team. You have option of Doom TACs for high damage off of Wesker of Strider hits. Without the TACs this team doesn't do a lot of damage but Wesker has all the tools he needs in the neutral.

Wesker/Magneto/Sentinel - Awkward DHC option aside this team is IMO solid. Wesker has crazy mix ups with Drones as does Magneto.

If you don't plan to change your team then switch Dante assist from Weasel Shot to Jam Session because you already have EMD for horizontal coverage.

Wesker + Dante IMO is a weak duo. Jam Session sucks for Wesker because you can't convert into full combo off of SJ height Jam Session hits. Even if you could confirm the scaling is really bad for Wesker, his damage drops like a rock after Jam Session hit. The lock down is also not that useful for Wesker because he has no fast high low mix up like Viper or Magneto. Weasel Shot is much better for Wesker but even then it's inferior to most beams for Wesker. Wesker's problem is containing top tier characters so he can move in for a mix up, for Weasel Shot/Jam Session to be effective you need to be close to them. Vajra helps with almost all of Wesker's problems. It's a super jump tracking assist with full screen coverage that only hits once and leads into hard knockdown. Combined with Wesker's fast dash he can wave dash below super jumpers while calling Vajra for easy mix ups and full damage combos.

FSLink

Banned
I like Wesker/Strange/Spencer. Occasionally I use it against people who are to Sent drone happy. Snipe him with the pistol and then rush in while bolts are active.

Decent TAC option, command grab between beams, and incoming mixups with grapple are really nice. Also, you can get a FoF loop if you do c.L command grab in the corner and raw tag into Strange. Pretty situational since you had to have done it without Bolts, but it's useful. Spencer/Strange shell has been proven as well.

Though it's less derp than just having Vergil of course. :p

Zissou

From memory, Strider has two bnbs that get used based on how confident you are.

Easy bnb:
c.LMHS, sj.H, qcf.L, j.MMHS

Hard bnb:
c.LMH, dp.L , qcb.S, qcb.S, qcf.S, LMH, dp.L (before grounded), qcb.S, qcb.S, rdp.H

The first one you can sometimes add a little more depending on launch height.

From rdp.M:
j.H, s.H, c.H, f.H, etc.

Just a way to maximize damage at the start.

Does that hard bnb even work? I don't think you can use light gram in a combo like that without form B already being summoned. Do you have a link to a vid or something?

Does that hard bnb even work? I don't think you can use light gram in a combo like that without form B already being summoned. Do you have a link to a vid or something?
Maybe the satellite has to already be summoned, and I am mistaken. I know the general flow works, though.

If one of Wesker's palms did a crumple stun he would be an excellent alternative to Nova on team Nemo.

Which characters have crumple moves? You could use iron fist as an alternative too but im blanking on other characters that have crumples.

edit:
Viper with focus attack
Iron fist with dragons touch
Chun with crumple fireball
She hulk with clothesline

Not sure how reliably any of them can combo into it with spencer assist. Iron fist, chun, and she hulk probably can but viper is unlikely. Actually combofiend used to play team nemo but replaced nova with she hulk.

Dahbomb

I feel like we have had this discussion before.

Viper can do it with the Spencer assist for sure, I have seen it being done.

List of characters with crumples:

Nova
Chun Li
Iron Fist
She Hulk
Viper
Strange

Not a lot of characters can do a crumple stun off of non hyper moves (obviously not going to include stuff like Vergil's LVL4 crumple stunning).

Azoth

Banned
That's more than long enough for any hit confirm, so it definitely works for any Team Nemo purpose.

That makes viper a Second Best team nemo point, in my book. Chun is mid tier if you're godlike, and IF, PW, and She Hulk are bottom.

That's more than long enough for any hit confirm, so it definitely works for any Team Nemo purpose.

That makes viper a Second Best team nemo point, in my book. Chun is mid tier if you're godlike, and IF, PW, and She Hulk are bottom.

I hate fighting good Chun's so much. I feel helpless as fuck once she gets in. Especially when I'm playing as Sentinel.

I distinctly remember trying it with the Focus and there wasn't enough time to tag in Strange but there was with the late knuckle.

I think you can only do an OTG combo in that situation, that's what's going on with Dante and Strange needs to hit 2H.

Kimosabae

Banned
I appreciate the discussion, guys. Really do.

Anyone here play Dante and know what his most damaging solo Bnb currently is? Or know the current BnB in general?

- How do Dantes get j. m xx Hammer after Acid Rain mid screen after: Stinger BC, Volcano, j.h, Air Play, j.h, st. h xx Prop Shredder?

- I remember a tut vid on Dante's Shot Loops a year or so ago... anyone know what I'm talking about? I've always been able to do regular 5x shot loops, but I could never figure the timing for the 10x shot loops.

- Anyone have any ideas for tight block strings or setups I can use on incoming with Gunshot or Beam Assist?

- What are people's thoughts on Acid Rain mixups on incoming?

In regards to Magnus: anyone have any thoughts on Magnus vs Strange? Eye/Mystic sword zoning just seems to shut Magnus down completely. Not allowing Strange to setup Eye is harder than it sounds if the Strange is good and is backed by an Assist.

Strange doesn't have a lot of good hitboxes that affect the area above bolts, so you can sit back in that space and plinkdash to get behind him and come down with Magnetic Blast which will generally give you a pressure opportunity.

It's also important to look at how your assists interact and come up with a gameplan from there. If you use doom it might be best to use beam or rocks because of how easy it is to snipe missiles with strange.

Strange's area of influence is basically a big + with the horizontal axis aligned to himself and the vertical axis aligned on you, so keep that in mind when you decide how to place your assist calls.

Seyavesh

he's missing an air dp+h before the dp+l near the end there

it goes cancel wall cling h -> dp+h low to the ground -> qcb+s -> (sometimes dash- harder to do but more consistent on hitting chars) dp+l -> qcb+s- > rdp+h

edit: team padtrick kicks ass (wesker/vergil/strider) but the combos into spiral swords w wesker feel weird as hell. also i really don't like teams where strider is the only long range assist/lockdown assist because against people who are used to fighting him he gets lit up/ignored really well when it comes to chars that can't cover him at certain angles (wesker is definitely one of them since his sj area air control is pretty poor)

Does BBCP have stuff the older BB games dont? Because I felt like the older ones were really bad in that department.

I think it's important that the tutorials are fun. Earlier BB games were just text and watching the computer do stuff or practicing combos. Pretty terrible.

I think it depends on the character you use. Wolverine has to do this because he needs to get in. He just doesn't have another option. I would never do this with my team and Firebrand, though. I would rather call Shuma-Gorath and command dash past the shield.

This is what happens when you main Chun-li and get bored.

Watching this, I wish Marvel had a reward system for varying your combos. Sort of like a DMC system where the more varied your combos are during a match, the more damage they do. Or damage penalties if they are too similar. Make people style it up.
BBCP does actually punish you for doing the same combo. I think it's kinda stupid to be honest, but it does force me to carefully decide when I'm going to do certain parts of combos.

I never answered your question from the fgw thread and I don't know if anyone else did, so I'll just do it here.

BBCP's tutorial mode has you going through damn near everything on offense and defense. It explains crossups, mixups, blockstrings, tick throws, jump cancelling, dash cancelling, a whole bunch of other shit. And then it makes you face the computer and use whatever they're trying to teach you, otherwise you can't break through the defenses.

Then they have individual tutorials for each character. They explain the basic strategy with that character, what their drive attacks and their overdrive mode does, important normals for AA's, crossups, overheads, etc.

You'd really have to see it in order to see just how expansive it is.

Killer Instincts is similar and also really good.

BBCP does actually punish you for doing the same combo. I think it's kinda stupid to be honest, but it does force me to carefully decide when I'm going to do certain parts of combos.

I never answered your question from the fgw thread and I don't know if anyone else did, so I'll just do it here.

BBCP's tutorial mode has you going through damn near everything on offense and defense. It explains crossups, mixups, blockstrings, tick throws, jump cancelling, dash cancelling, a whole bunch of other shit. And then it makes you face the computer and use whatever they're trying to teach you, otherwise you can't break through the defenses.

Then they have individual tutorials for each character. They explain the basic strategy with that character, what their drive attacks and their overdrive mode does, important normals for AA's, crossups, overheads, etc.

You'd really have to see it in order to see just how expansive it is.

Killer Instincts is similar and also really good.
Wow, they really upped it from CT! CT's tutorials were just text explanations I had to watch. Soooo boring.

Now they just need to add one interesting character so I can buy in.

Top Bottom