• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Reposting for the new page:

With such an influx of players, it almost feels like we should have GAFbats for Marvel 3 or something. I wouldn't mind running it, but it would be really low key, and I would need folks to help me lay the ground rules. I'm thinking something like 1 set to play per week from Monday to Sunday. I'm not even sure what the usual flow of a ranbat is...

Anyway, if folks are interested, let me know by quoting this post. I'd want at least 8 regular players to participate. I'm thinking something like:

1) One set per week.
2) FT5.
3) Report results in this thread.
4) You must be wired.

Thoughts? I would only run this for the PS3 side.

I wonder if it'd be possible for Capcom to add a way of selectively picking opponents online based on this. Connection Preference: Wired / Wireless.. It really makes enough of a difference for that to be valid.
It would be fantastic if I could block wireless players.

I don't think anyone anywhere is able to detect wireless from wired immediately, nor do I think any effort would ever be implemented in a fighting game.

ggs. i like messing around with spencer/wesker/doom.

i saw highlights, and that was an ugly combination of some pretty egregious calls, terrible play by cp3 (that fucking shot/flop attempt from 3/4 court, are you kidding me?), and poor defense (wtf was big baby doing out there, trying to guard kd on the perimeter). a lot of those shots the clippers made were poor offensive plays that just went in.

though i know that feel of collapsing and getting jobbed by refs. never forget the 06 finals.

Haha Mavs fan?

Well I'm not gonna bring NBA talk in here, but yeah I was out of my fucking mind last night. Not just cause I wanted the Clips to win, but I also lost 100 bucks.

It's hard enough to play Marvel distracted (though I'm usually being distracted by my nephew), it's damn near impossible to play and try to intently watch sports, especially when it's a game you care about. And it's a fucking nightmare to play Marvel when you've completely lost it cause you just watched a massive collapse....and a collapse to shitty play on both sides and bad calls.

Anyway....
Guys I just found a new team and I have no idea how I didn't think of it before.
Felicia/Chris/Strider. I'm too hype right now.

I don't think anyone anywhere is able to detect wireless from wired immediately, nor do I think any effort would ever be implemented in a fighting game.
Immediately? No, but over one or two matches I can tell. I did call Jetman out on it, after all. The connection feels less consistent when someone is wireless. It will be smooth, then a little slow, then it might freeze, then back to smooth, etc. I can be other factors, but this usually tells me "ah, wireless".

Of course, we can't prove anything over the internet, but I'd like to think that folks here will be honest about their setup.

What's with the wireless hate. Wireless can be just as good as a wired connection. It just depends of the strength of the signal, ISP service and devices. Sure there are some garbage wireless connections but there can also be great wireless connections that easily rival good wired connections. To flat rule out any wireless is kinda crazy.

If you wanna do ranbats you are limiting an already small group by not allowing wireless. I mean for the most part the two GAF tourney ran relatively well did they not? Sure I'd played some matches that didn't run very well but a lot did.

What's with the wireless hate. Wireless can be just as good as a wired connection. It just depends of the strength of the signal, ISP service and devices. Sure there are some garbage wireless connections but there can also be great wireless connections that easily rival good wired connections. To flat rule out any wireless is kinda crazy.

If you wanna do ranbats you are limiting an already small group by not allowing wireless. I mean for the most part the two GAF tourney ran relatively well did they not? Sure I'd played some matches that didn't run very well but a lot did.
A wireless connection can never, ever be as good as a wired connection. Plus, the PS3 has garbage wireless hardware. You are permanently gimped no matter how strong your ISP is.

Personally, I hate wasting my time playing wireless matches. If you want to run a ranbat, go ahead and make one and create rules. If I'm taking the time to do it, though, I'm doing the only thing I can to get rid of laggers.

There is only rarely an excuse to not be wired. I have run wires across multiple rooms just to be wired. What does not make sense to me is wanting to play a game, but not wanting to play it well.

I understand your reasons Karst, everybody hates playing super lagfest games. I'm just throwing out wireless doesn't equal automatic lagfest. Best of luck.
I have yet to meet the person on wireless that doesn't create a laggy match. I'm glad to be proven wrong, though.

Seriously though, folks just need to be less lazy and figure out their setup.

I'm totally with you Karst as far as fighting games go. Wired or nothing. Any other genre, I don't give a shit.

My buddy has really fast wireless (it's crazy he gets like 32 mbps down and he's nowhere near his router), but it's not consistent. I hope we can get to that point one day.

Vice

I had to switch to wireless after moving last month. It's 100% pure ass. The advanced lag ruins everything.

Calling someone lazy just because they use wireless isn't going to win you any points, you know.
Who do I want to win points with here?

If running cables through your house isn't an option, have you tried an Ethernet over powerline adapter?

I use one since I'm in an apartment and its just as good as being directly wired!
I have no experience with these, but I have heard good things. Also, Onionfrog has a great connection, and we have like 8 states between us.

Beef obviously. Don't you know what you get when you get enough points?

I'm talking about calling people lazy when all internet connections aren't the same. Someone's wireless could be great, and you would never know it. Someone might not be able to have the luxury of having a wired connection because of other people living with said person.

I'm talking about calling people lazy when all internet connections aren't the same. Someone's wireless could be great, and you would never know it. Someone might not be able to have the luxury of having a wired connection because of other people living with said person.
Hey, if you are like 16 and live with your parents, I get it. It isn't your house, and you don't get to make the rules. Beyond that, it is totally on you. Plus, there are other options like the one Onionfrog posted, and it is quite the good option.

No, there are no great wireless connections for a game with demands like these. Wireless connections are why 360 players are under the impression that XBL>PSN.

Dahbomb

Wireless is not good, at least for me. Like you would be playing fine for a bit and then suddenly you would get lag and stuff. It's small lag but it's enough to throw you off by a lot.

Though I am not sure that banning people with Wireless is such a good idea. This is not like some super serious qualifier online tournament.

Wireless is not good, at least for me. Like you would be playing fine for a bit and then suddenly you would get lag and stuff. It's small lag but it's enough to throw you off by a lot.

Though I am not sure that banning people with Wireless is such a good idea. This is not like some super serious qualifier online tournament.
Hey, if I am going to play, I want the connection to be good. A FT5 on wireless makes me want to quit the game.

I just hate that Capcom has such shitty netcode, cause there are definitely fighters that can be played on wireless no problem.
Like Skullgirls!

onionfrog

Ah, nice. So from wireless, how do I use that device? Does it need cables?
It's very easy to set up, just plug and play.

1. Plug one device into the wall next to your router and connect to your router with an Ethernet cable.
2. Plug the other device into the wall in the room where you want your connection. Then connect an Ethernet cord from that to your console.

The powerline adapter should come with two Ethernet cords included. Although the ones included with mine were a bit short.
Any Ethernet cable will do, really.

Also it should be plugged directly into the wall socket itself for maximum performance. Not through an extension cord or power strip.

EDIT: You can get one with multiple ports if you need to hook up multiple devices.

I didn't and had to buy a seperate Ethernet switch so I could hook up my PS3 and PC through it at the same time.

1. Plug one device into the wall next to your router and connect to your router with an Ethernet cable.
2. Plug the other device into the wall in the room where you want your connection. Then connect an Ethernet cord from that to your console.

The powerline adapter should come with two Ethernet cords included. Although the ones included with mine were a bit short.

Also it should be plugged directly into the wall socket itself for maximum performance. Not through an extension cord or power strip.
So is it using your house's electrical wiring to transmit the data? If so, that's pretty goddamn wild.

paolo11

EDIT: You can get one with multiple ports if you need to hook up multiple devices.

I didn't and had to buy a seperate Ethernet switch so I could hook up my PS3 and PC through it at the same time.

Ah, so instead of one long cable, you can use two short ethernet cable on each device.

What happens if I use the extension cord anyway? Will it just be like wireless connection? All of my stuff are plugged in by an extension cord sad to say.

Karst, I am willing to follow your rules that is why I am inquiring this device.

Get wired regardless of my requests. I promise that you will notice a difference. I went from wireless to wired, and it was night and day. I had a fantastic wireless router, a great connection, and thin, brickless walls. Do it for yourself, to improve your enjoyment of the game.

Dahbomb

Ok I definitely need this technology.

Tiers for UMVC3 on Eventhubs launched for those people who want to vote on it (you have to be EH member though).

They actually have separate ranking for "overall", "how is the character as a point" and "how is the character as a support". Dr Doom has a near perfect 9.95 rating.

onionfrog

Ah, so instead of one long cable, you can use two short ethernet cable on each device.
Correct.
What happens if I use the extension cord anyway? Will it just be like wireless connection? All of my stuff are plugged in by an extension cord sad to say.
I haven't tried it. I know it'd be bad through a power strip, but I haven't tried just an extension cord. That might not be so bad.

paolo11

Get wired regardless of my requests. I promise that you will notice a difference. I went from wireless to wired, and it was night and day. I had a fantastic wireless router, a great connection, and thin, brickless walls. Do it for yourself, to improve your enjoyment of the game.

So let me ask. If I am using wired connection (or the Ethernet adapter by onionfrog), and I am figthing wireless (worst case scenario), will I have better connection compared wireless vs wireless?

Sorry to ask btw. Just want to feel less ignorant. Hehehehe.

I have used both wireless and wired when playing marvel and I have not noticed a major difference between the two. My PS3 is now in my bedroom and my PS4 takes the living room with the wired connection. My experiences have mostly been the same.

So let me ask. If I am using wired connection (or the Ethernet adapter by onionfrog), and I am figthing wireless (worst case scenario), will I have better connection compared wireless vs wireless?

Sorry to ask btw. Just want to feel less ignorant. Hehehehe.
I don't understand your question. Wired is always > wireless, but I don't know anything about Onionfrog's product except that he has a fantastic connection with me despite our great distance and that I have heard good things about it.

I have used both wireless and wired when playing marvel and I have not noticed a major difference between the two. My PS3 is now in my bedroom and my PS4 takes the living room with the wired connection. My experiences have mostly been the same.
Not everyone is subtle enough to notice the differences. /shrug

LOL well you guys aren't entirely wrong.

Anyway I've been thinking about practicing with a new anchor, cause I'm feeling like my Wesker never really does jack in my matches and only use his assist. Who do you guys think I should use? My only exceptions are no Doom, no Vergil and no high execution characters.

paolo11

I don't understand your question. Wired is always > wireless, but I don't know anything about Onionfrog's product except that he has a fantastic connection with me despite our great distance and that I have heard good things about it.

Not everyone is subtle enough to notice the differences. /shrug

Sorry. I meant if I'm using wired and my opponent uses wireless, do I get better connection vs if both of us have wireless connection?

Anyway I've been thinking about practicing with a new anchor, cause I'm feeling like my Wesker never really does jack in my matches and only use his assist. Who do you guys think I should use? My only exceptions are no Doom, no Vergil and no high execution characters.
How important is the OTG to you? I wonder if Wright can convert off of Mystic Ray. Though if you're frustrated with anchors that don't do much, Shuma-Gorath is not the guy for you...

Tell me more about what you do want in the anchor, not just what you don't want.

Sorry. I meant if I'm using wired and my opponent uses wireless, do I get better connection vs if both of us have wireless connection?
It's better, but still bad.

You'd not only be giving up the otg if you drop Wesker, but the low as well for those unblockables. Well I know you still have PW assist, but in the case that he's dead.

Nova might be a decent fit. I'm not sure if you can get anything off of an air grab and hard tag to PW if you started him on point, but it's worth experimenting with. You'll be able to get unblockables with him if you have assist b. Though his shield assist could prove very useful. I can't imagine the frustration of dealing with his shield on top of Maya............

...........you know what, ignore what I've said.

paolo11

How important is the OTG to you? I wonder if Wright can convert off of Mystic Ray. Though if you're frustrated with anchors that don't do much, Shuma-Gorath is not the guy for you...

Tell me more about what you do want in the anchor, not just what you don't want.

It's better, but still bad.

Thanks, Karst.

Ok, I will buy that adaptor. Once I have the adaptor, I will join the Gaf Fight Club (if made that is).

FSLink

Banned

Honestly outside of Doom, Wesker is probably the best anchor for that team assuming Wright's on point. Only other options I can think of are possibly Sentinel, Dante, or RR but the latter two are higher execution as far as anchors go.

Honestly outside of Doom, Wesker is probably the best anchor for that team assuming Wright's on point.

Yea that's what I'm thinking as well. I was just thinking what character could help mobility issues so yesterday I was playing with sentinel. I was thinking drones could be good as a ghetto projectile and making things safer for Hulk.

onionfrog

Yea that's what I'm thinking as well. I was just thinking what character could help mobility issues so yesterday I was playing with sentinel. I was thinking drones could be good as a ghetto projectile and making things safer for Hulk.
It would be, but then you also lose those easy confirms into turnabout mode with Wesker's OTG, full combos off air throws, unblockable setups etc.
Of course, wright may still be able to do some of those things without the OTG assist. I don't really know since I just play him casually.

..And Sentinel anchor is risky if you aren't Amuro RayRay.

Honestly outside of Doom, Wesker is probably the best anchor for that team assuming Wright's on point. Only other options I can think of are possibly Sentinel, Dante, or RR but the latter two are higher execution as far as anchors go.

Yeah I wanted to say RR and Dante but he said he didn't want to deal with execution nonsense. And I'd never wish Sentinel on anyone. You don't wanna live this life.

Really though, consider Nova

JeTmAn81

The wireless vs. wired discussion, aka let's hate JeTmAn81. Well I must say I have had a wired connection in the past, and while it's definitely better than running wireless, it's not exponentially better than the best wireless connections I've experienced. I have a fairly nice router and have experienced plenty of responsive matches through it. That said, I have mostly stopped playing on console because of how laggy the average match has become.

Also, YMMV with powerline ethernet adapters. I tried it in the past and it worked really well for a few weeks but then crapped out. My house has pretty old wiring so that's a factor.

Kimosabae

Banned
What do you guys think of Dante/Doom/Magnus?

Also, YMMV with powerline ethernet adapters. I tried it in the past and it worked really well for a few weeks but then crapped out. My house has pretty old wiring so that's a factor.

This literally just happened to me. I'm livid. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I kicked one of them by accident while sleeping - but there's no visible or audible signs of damage. It's the only correlation I have to work with. The night that happened i literally starting getting XBL Error code 80151901 the next day.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm starting with Missiles but I was hoping someone would speak more generally. I'm also messing around with Magnus on point. Missles and Weasel/Beam have the x and y dimensions covered as long as Doom is stuck in the middle.

I'm starting with Missiles but I was hoping someone would speak more generally. I'm also messing around with Magnus on point. Missles and Weasel/Beam have the x and y dimensions covered as long as Doom is stuck in the middle.
I personally just don't care much for the order. I think it's a decent team, but I personally would play it in a different order. Probably Mags/Dante/Doom. I just really like the dhc here. Easy easy happy birthday if someone isn't careful. Shockwave dhc to Devil Trigger can get you some easy mixups as well.

EDIT: Well Dahbomb beat me to it, but yeah THC shenanigans as well.
I'd assume his plan is to get Magneto in on point if Dante dies, no?

I dunno man...sometimes people have some wacky shit.

.......like point Doom :p

But I play point Doom too, so I can't talk.

Dahbomb

I would honestly play Mag/Doom (Plasma Beam) /Dante (Jam Session) or Mag/Dante/Doom.

Jam Session helps out both Magneto and Doom a lot. Plasma Beam helps out Dante in case you are stuck with just Doom and Dante. Mag gets big benefit from both Plasma Beam and Jam Session. You can also play Dante in second and have access to the two bar Magneto plus Dante THC shenanigans.

Top Bottom