• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Leetirl

Neo Member
Seems like there's a lot of negativity towards Ninja Theory. What's the reasoning behind this? Was it just because they aren't Capcom and they made a DMC game?

Seems like there's a lot of negativity towards Ninja Theory. What's the reasoning behind this? Was it just because they aren't Capcom and they made a DMC game?

Because they have a history of making mediocre action games then made a mediocre DmC game all while getting mad at the fans, making poor decisions, backpedaling and all kinds of dumb stuff.

Dahbomb

Ninja Theory had never really made a good game prior to DMC, certainly not a good action game. So when they were assigned to DmC there was a lot of skepticism but their arrogance made things worse. The game plus its PR had a lot of issues that I don't care to list now. DmC is NT's best game yet though.. it's just not a great DMC game.

And the blame falls on Capcom mostly. NT tried their best, they didn't have decades worth of action games under their belt like Capcom did. It was Capcom's own greedy ploy that caused this whole situation to happen.

Ninja Theory games are shallow but pretty.

You should've gotten the expansion version though. DD is definitely rough around the edges though no lie.

You should one day find the original DMC3 version and try to play it. On the SE version you can replicate that version if you enter the code to unlock all difficulties and start on Hard with Yellow orbs.

I don't frown on MH but it's just not for me. It has depth and it does require skill... but the depth and skill it requires is not inherently fun for me.
What's wrong with playing the updated DMC3?

One day I want to play through all 4 games.

The hit boxes in MH are definitely absurd. Not in the "moves hit behind them" way but more like the area of effect is way larger than animated. This has never been a problem in a DMC game and it's generally not a problem in a Souls game either. Last action game I played where this was a problem was Darksiders 2 and that was against one boss whose one move had a ridiculous hit box (but easy to counter if you knew about it).
Did you play Monster Hunter Tri? The hitboxes are all really reasonable.

Dahbomb

I have only played Monster Hunter Freedom (both, mostly Freedom 2) on PSP. So if they fixed the hit boxes afterwards then ignore the comments.

There isn't anything wrong with the updated DMC3 (Special Edition), its the definitive version. The original version had Normal mode as the Hard mode of SE and it only defaulted to Yellow checkpoint system (which meant limited lives). There was no real choice to make the game easier in the orginal version but in SE you can start off as easy as you want or as hard as you want. People have SSS ranked DMD mode starting with a scratch Dante which is considered the height of skill level in a DMC game only comparable to beating DMD in DMC1 with just your starting two weapons.

Gods_Beard: respond to Dahbomb's post about health increases so we can move patch talk along.

I have only played Monster Hunter Freedom (both, mostly Freedom 2) on PSP. So if they fixed the hit boxes afterwards then ignore the comments.

There isn't anything wrong with the updated DMC3 (Special Edition), its the definitive version. The original version had Normal mode as the Hard mode of SE and it only defaulted to Yellow checkpoint system (which meant limited lives). There was no real choice to make the game easier in the orginal version but in SE you can start off as easy as you want or as hard as you want. People have SSS ranked DMD mode starting with a scratch Dante which is considered the height of skill level in a DMC game only comparable to beating DMD in DMC1 with just your starting two weapons.
So...why not play the SE edition?

I'll probably just be playing through each game once so I know what's up. Bayonetta 2 will probably be better than all of them.

Monster Hunter Tri changed a lot of stuff from the PSP games.

Dahbomb

I said you CAN play the SE version but if you want to experience what us day 1 folks experienced with DMC3 you would have to enter the code to unlock all difficulties and start with Hard + Yellow orbs. It's considered the authentic DMC3 experience.

Bayonetta is going to be better than the old DMC games because of hardware differences. DMC3 was god tier for when it came out, now action games have basically copied the formula (yes even Bayonetta) and improved on it. DMC1 more so because it basically invented this sub genre. Bayonetta is only comparable to DMC4 and in that Bayonetta beats DMC4 in most categories like level design, pacing, options, features, bosses/enemies but there is no game that has yet matched the technical and skill limit of DMC4's combat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So...why not play the SE edition?

Personal preference.

The SE shifted the difficulty back to the Japanese version's because a lot of consumers thought that the American original was too hard.

For reference, the original release was set up as follows:
Japanese:
Easy/Medium/Hard/None/DMD
Unlimited Continues, but Gold Orbs would resurrect on the spot

American:
None/Easy/Medium/Hard/DMD
Yellow Orbs were your continues

So, the American version shifted the difficulties over and added a new difficulty between the Japanese Hard and DMD. This made the start of the game difficult for a lot of people because upgrades persist across difficulties.

I played through the original version first, so I'm partial to starting on Hard with Yellow Orbs. The Special Edition allows you to choose either.

I said you CAN play the SE version but if you want to experience what us day 1 folks experienced with DMC3 you would have to enter the code to unlock all difficulties and start with Hard + Yellow orbs. It's considered the authentic DMC3 experience.

I'm fairly certain the SE gives you access to Hard right away. I can't be sure though, since I started the HD Collection a long ass time ago.

Thanks for the DMC info.

I prefer Phantasy Star Portable to MH. Much more fun, and much better controls.

And how about day Capcom All-Stars, eh? Just like you all wanted!
They aren't even the same genre - lol.

I haven't expected anything from Capcom since their last announcement about axing outsourcing.

Dahbomb

So where are we at with the patch? God's Beard isn't responding to the health buff and the vote is already 4/5 on that, looks like that change is going to get passed unless he makes a stellar argument to counter it.

We should instead start talking about super jump assists.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I personally loved Enslaved. Sure some of the gameplay (mainly combat) was a bit repetitive, but the narrative was great. As for the new DMC I actually liked it quite a bit as well.

And you're entitled to your opinion. You asked why people don't like NT. For most people, NT makes mechanically subpar games, and their pretentiously obtuse storytelling does not justify the poor gameplay.

So where are we at with the patch? God's Beard isn't responding to the health buff and the vote is already 4/5 on that, looks like that change is going to get passed unless he makes a stellar argument to counter it.

We should instead start talking about super jump assists.
Pretty much.

I made my case for the super jump assist change; I haven't seen anyone counter it.

DMC is the most offensive thing I have ever felt from a game. Ninja Theory went to great lengths to make original devil may cry fans feel like shit and shit on everything that was special about the original series. That original coke head art of New Dante just encompasses everything the game was going to be. Sloppy, unoriginal, messy and disgraceful to everything Devil May Cry. Not to mention Ninja Theory can't program anything to save their life.

Leetirl

Neo Member
And you're entitled to your opinion. You asked why people don't like NT. For most people, NT makes mechanically subpar games, and their pretentiously obtuse storytelling does not justify the poor gameplay.

It's been awhile since I played the game but I'm not sure I can recall any particularly pretentious or obtuse portions of storytelling. Any examples?

Leetirl

Neo Member
DMC is the most offensive thing I have ever felt from a game. Ninja Theory went to great lengths to make original devil may cry fans feel like shit and shit on everything that was special about the original series. That original coke head art of New Dante just encompasses everything the game was going to be. Sloppy, unoriginal, messy and disgraceful to everything Devil May Cry. Not to mention Ninja Theory can't program anything to save their life.

That sums up how I feel about Mass Effect 3. I'll admit, I enjoyed the new DMC (I'm a whore for re-branding and yes, I'm a graphic designer by trade) but I definitely understand where you're coming from.

I've brought up all my arguments already and that didn't help. I can't stop you from your silly universal nerfs. Although I thought Zissou was undecided.

Might as well stick me on Y for the whole character list, I'm super busy from now and don't want tos pend the energy on redoing the whole thing again.

LOL. GB, you should try and convince me to take you seriously. You can barely fight without Hot Drinks when they are needed.

I've played for over two hundred hours and I've only lost two battles. Mark of a Hero and Alatreon. Neither of which I lost due to the hot drinks I didn't carry. Your cats heal you often enough that it doesn't make a difference.

Log trap will be annoying as balls. Other than that, sure why not.
How will Log Trap be annoying? It leads to a soft knockdown, so you're not calling assists after it hits you anyway.

I just heard about Breath of Fire 6.

I'm so sorry BoF fans. You have my deepest condolences.
Your pity makes it hurt more.

It's been awhile since I played the game but I'm not sure I can recall any particularly pretentious or obtuse portions of storytelling. Any examples?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwTu2bpcZ3w

No this is not tongue and cheek and anybody who has followed it's development knows otherwise. It's literally Ninja Theory saying how stupid the original Dante looks and just an insult to the fans. It goes perfectly with the attitude they have had since the beginning of the games creation.

"The original Dante isn't cool anymore" or "Old Dante would just get laughed out of a bar"

Dahbomb

I've brought up all my arguments already and that didn't help. I can't stop you from your silly universal nerfs. Although I thought Zissou was undecided.
Where did you bring up the arguments for the universal health buff? The stuff you brought up a long time ago is obsolete now because we have fine tuned a ton of the cast in terms of combos, tools and damage.

Your original argument was that low damage characters suffer more when I showed that not only did we buff some of the low damage characters in terms of damage but also gave them better tools while also nerfing the high damage characters.

LOL

From the Whatever happened to.....(we beg for updates on various GAFfers and their threads) thread

It's amazing that people still talk about that.
Hahahahaha. I remember the last time it got bumped. GB tried to delete the contents so his past would no longer haunt him, and EviLore actually restored them. So GB deleted them again, and then EviLore banned him. Good times.

It's all I can offer you, I'm sorry.
I don't want it!

Tirael

It was so weird because even though they actively shit on Devil May Cry fans, all the weird goals that popped up on the screen when you made progress toward them were references and quotes to previous Devil May Cry games. (For those of you who don't know, they were like Achievements or Trophies, but they weren't.) They wanted it both ways.

Remove the references to previous games in the series and change some names and you have a good game with a solid battle system. Not a great game, not a terrible one, but probably worth experiencing.

The whole situation is surreal.

Leetirl

Neo Member
How will Log Trap be annoying? It leads to a soft knockdown, so you're not calling assists after it hits you anyway.

Ah I forgot to look at the updates. I though it was still an assist. By all means carry on, it will make certain assists like Taskmaster's vertical arrows far more relevant.

Leetirl

Neo Member
The ending of Enslaved. The entire social commentary of DmC.

Yeah it did have that pixar-esque, beat you over the head social commentary. But man, I loved beating the hell out of the DMC equivalent of Bill O'reilly.

And as a side note, I loved the Noisia portion of the soundtrack.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah it did have that pixar-esque, beat you over the head social commentary. But man, I loved beating the hell out of the DMC equivalent of Bill O'reilly.

And as a side note, I loved the Noisia portion of the soundtrack.

I don't agree. The boss was atrocious. It was pretty, but incredibly shallow. All of the bosses were. And why did you get an Angel weapon from Bill O'Reily? It felt slapped together.

Capcom came right out in an interview and said that Ninja Theory didn't know how to design bosses. The ones that we got were only there because of Capcom's influence.

Dahbomb

But I thought the weapons were used as power for the gates in DMC4?
They were but it made no sense that you got particular weapons from the particular bosses. It made perfect sense in DMC3 for example.. you got the Cerberus weapon from Cerberus the boss which is a 3 pronged ice weapon (like the 3 heads of Cerberus). In DMC4 you get a pair of metalic gauntlets called Gilgamesh from a giant snake lady named Echidna..

Leetirl

Neo Member
I don't agree. The boss was atrocious. It was pretty, but incredibly shallow. All of the bosses were. And why did you get an Angel weapon from Bill O'Reily? It felt slapped together.

Capcom came right out in an interview and said that Ninja Theory didn't know how to design bosses. The ones that we got were only there because of Capcom's influence.

Eh I was more referring to the satisfaction of beating the guy senseless (I grew up in Boston, what do you expect?). Yeah it did look nice, but by all accounts it did lack depth, I will agree with you there.

They were but it made no sense that you got particular weapons from the particular bosses. It made perfect sense in DMC3 for example.. you got the Cerberus weapon from Cerberus the boss which is a 3 pronged ice weapon (like the 3 heads of Cerberus). In DMC4 you get a pair of metalic gauntlets called Gilgamesh from a giant snake lady named Echidna..

Yeah it made it sense since they came directly from the boss. I see what your saying though, a devil arm that is similar to the boss should have powered the gate would have made more sense. But I argue that those smaller gates were made by stuttering Agnus, which needed to be powered by devil arms in order to be activated so they could get demons in order to be used in his experiments. I doubt that they knew that the those three or four specific demons would show up.

Dahbomb

What aspects of those are even being contested?

X factor timer, super jump assist? What in throws is being contested?

X factor timer is such a non issue that I can live without it. If they leave the timer as is, even with 20% health we wouldn't have many time outs. I like the idea of X factor stopping time at 0 but people will interpret this as "OMG Pandora" and rage stupidly over it.

Super jump assist call has already been discussed numerous times.

Another one goes to the Dumb Side of the Force.

Vergil is ten times the anchor Amaterasu is. No question.

The only question is whether you want Hsien-ko first to try and armor up + tag out, or whether you want Amaterasu first to try and earn the armor through a DHC. That's all personal preference, and I don't think the team is good either way.

Vergil with Cold Shots is meh. If Ammy is second she is sort of just a sacrificial character for Vergil, like Doom is normally only Doom does a lot of damage without XF and assists but Ammy doesn't.

You are better off playing Doom or Magneto than Vergil while keeping Ammy in anchor slot.

Thanks guys. I'll go back to the drawing board on this one then. Or I'll just try and work on characters I've been having difficulty with. Not really a fan of Magneto or Doom though. In all honesty, I prefer the Capcom characters.

Have you considered Skrull for anchor? Personally I think he might be the most fun character to play. Maybe it's the whole risk vs. reward thing. Also he is ridiculous in level 3.

I've tried Skrull, and while he's good, for some reason a player in my scene (Nickcam) really turns me off from using him, haha.

What aspects of those are even being contested?

X factor timer, super jump assist? What in throws is being contested?

X factor timer is such a non issue that I can live without it. If they leave the timer as is, even with 20% health we wouldn't have many time outs. I like the idea of X factor stopping time at 0 but people will interpret this as "OMG Pandora" and rage stupidly over it.

Super jump assist call has already been discussed numerous times.
Zissou's posts:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74129163&highlight=#post74129163
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74131883&highlight=#post74131883

Dahbomb

Seems like he just wants clarification on the command throws and how they interact with normal throws. The rest of the stuff he is fine with.

Basically 1 frame start up command throws should have priority over normal grabs. During active frames command throws cannot be thrown out of under any circumstance. During recovery they can easily be thrown out of it.

The only real issue is what happens with command throws which have a ton of start up which is like 11/16 frame of start up on Hulk's command grab. He can easily be grabbed out of that. I say to make the start up and active frames of command throws regular throw invincible. You can still just use a normal to hit Hulk out of the command throw.

Dahbomb

Honestly speaking Zissou has a point about command throws with high start up. If someone just option selects a throw, under the new change they will just get an unscaled combo!

I say just have the priority apply to active frames. Like during the 2 or whatever active frames of a command throw you cannot be thrown out of it. I don't think you can anyway so this is most likely a pointless change.

All this change would really help are the characters with 1 frame command throws and even then the help is MARGINAL at best. I think we should just opt to not have this change in to begin with.

onionfrog

Good Games Slasher!
I would go so far as to say they were epic!

That solo unblockable setup with Phoenix Wright to close out on if the matches was very smart.

You taught me a valuable lesson today:
"I should pick my shit. regardless of how cool hailstorm DHC seems in my head, I can't play storm to save my life"

Character crisis averted.

You taught me a valuable lesson today:
"I should pick my shit. regardless of how cool hailstorm DHC seems in my head, I can't play storm to save my life"

Character crisis averted.

To be fair you hardly got to play her. She kept getting happy birthday'd. I think once you practice with her she could be good for that team. She was pretty ace assist at the start at least. I definitely fear your Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider team the most though.

Top Bottom