• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Well I ended up deciding on the team I want to use. All I really ended up doing was swapping one member for another. The lawyer is out and the dark knight is in. Now I'm thinking about my options.

I know Vergil is known as one of the best anchors, but Amaterasu is known as a good anchor too. I don't think she would fare too badly on point, and her meter building is pretty good. I was thinking of using her to build meter so I could get Hsien-Ko in to do her thing and tag back out.

Of course, there's also the option of Hsien-Ko being on point, backed up by Ammy's Cold Star while Vergil waits in the back. I haven't really had much experience with Rapid Slash so I'm not sure how it could help my characters, but it does look like the best one.

Finally, I can have Ammy in the back and Vergil in the middle. But with Hsien-Ko's meter building being mediocre, I don't think Vergil gets much help at all in the event that she dies.

I'd appreciate any input. Just messing around in training mode, I feel like I'll really enjoy this change.
Another one goes to the Dumb Side of the Force.

Vergil is ten times the anchor Amaterasu is. No question.

The only question is whether you want Hsien-ko first to try and armor up + tag out, or whether you want Amaterasu first to try and earn the armor through a DHC. That's all personal preference, and I don't think the team is good either way.

Dahbomb

Vergil with Cold Shots is meh. If Ammy is second she is sort of just a sacrificial character for Vergil, like Doom is normally only Doom does a lot of damage without XF and assists but Ammy doesn't.

You are better off playing Doom or Magneto than Vergil while keeping Ammy in anchor slot.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Edit: Oh nevermind this is INSTEAD of an unblockable. I am now a bit more curious about this.
exactly, plus it would fit into his pixie fast paced nature more and well make him more like firebrand *firebrand is a fireball heavy character in his games*

ZeroCDR

Iron Man can still use one more change.

But it's only going to get in if he NEEDS it or if there is some legitimate issue in some move that is causing inconsistencies, which granted the character has a lot of. We of course cant' give him new moves, otherwise I would've love to have his Knee Dive and Warmachine's War Destroyer as another hyper.

Thinking a little bit about his cr.H missile, what are your thoughts on also making the missile faster? Able to link cr.M > cr. H > S? Maybe not essential, I'm just thinking aloud.

Dahbomb

Thinking a little bit about his cr.H missile, what are your thoughts on also making the missile faster? Able to link cr.M > cr. H > S? Maybe not essential, I'm just thinking aloud.
The start up it would need to be able to confirm after a cr.M would make it exceptionally good. A very fast projectile that is special cancelable and plus on block... nah Iron Man doesn't need it. His hit confirm is always cr.M, st.H.

exactly, plus it would fit into his pixie fast paced nature more and well make him more like firebrand *firebrand is a fireball heavy character in his games*
Maybe if this was MVC4 but replacing a big part of his game plan (the unblockable) with a big game changer mechanic is quite a big change. I need to see more discussion on it because this is one of those things that is hard to tell how good it might be without testing. Like Karst said this would pretty make much Firebrand a better Morrigan without AV.

Leetirl

Neo Member
Well I ended up deciding on the team I want to use. All I really ended up doing was swapping one member for another. The lawyer is out and the dark knight is in. Now I'm thinking about my options.

I know Vergil is known as one of the best anchors, but Amaterasu is known as a good anchor too. I don't think she would fare too badly on point, and her meter building is pretty good. I was thinking of using her to build meter so I could get Hsien-Ko in to do her thing and tag back out.

Of course, there's also the option of Hsien-Ko being on point, backed up by Ammy's Cold Star while Vergil waits in the back. I haven't really had much experience with Rapid Slash so I'm not sure how it could help my characters, but it does look like the best one.

Finally, I can have Ammy in the back and Vergil in the middle. But with Hsien-Ko's meter building being mediocre, I don't think Vergil gets much help at all in the event that she dies.

I'd appreciate any input. Just messing around in training mode, I feel like I'll really enjoy this change.

Have you considered Skrull for anchor? Personally I think he might be the most fun character to play. Maybe it's the whole risk vs. reward thing. Also he is ridiculous in level 3.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Maybe if this was MVC4 but replacing a big part of his game plan (the unblockable) with a big game changer mechanic is quite a big change. I need to see more discussion on it because this is one of those things that is hard to tell how good it might be without testing. Like Karst said this would pretty make much Firebrand a better Morrigan without AV.

It's not like there were not large changes between MVC3 to Ultimate. It's a big change to his gameplan because that's what he evolved into due to being forced into it. He's not that great outside of it. This would fix both the issue of the unblockable while making him a more viable character. If anything tone down the fireball damage to where morrigan's is now. But I think forcing the character into the whole unblockable loop role is shitty.

And Morrigan would still have a faster fireball shot rate

Azure J

Anyone want to help me de-rust yet again? I had a hard time playing some randoms (Taskmaster/Hawkeye/Vergil, Team F|Chip| and Trish/Dante/Wesker) and I just want to get more experience against stuff like this. I'm still stumped on how to get a ground game started against Task/Hawkeye since any single whiff gets cr.M'd for days by Task.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
We sort of removed the unlockable loop though.
Then he's fucked at high level, he already barely get's by with it. Most of the cast is getting powered up.

Right now he lost the unblockable loop but he get's slightly faster ground fireballs and some other minor fixes he should of had to begin with.

Why would you pick him over any other character of his archtype right now? More so if his damage scaling isn't being buffed

Dahbomb

He still has his unblockable fully in tact, what he lost was the Tenderizer assist. Someone like Zak Bennet is completely unaffected by this, all his set ups would work plus now he can do instant overhead into Bon Voyage without being in Luminous Body. Anyone using something like FB/Dorm/Shuma is also not affected.

And he is buffed too. Karst pushed the character as much as he could without making him too stupid like giving him Wolverine base damage.

I'll talk a bit about Firebrand's unblockable and how I use it now, because no one uses him outside of Tenderizer abuse.

1) Hit an opponent with Firebrand.
2) Get one reset to kill; kill with Dark Fire -> Stalking Flare.
3) Raw tag to Firebrand.
4) Ground dash, Mystic Ray, unblockable - this is 100% unstoppable so long as Stalking Flare got blocked (if it hit, I just superjump into j.H, dive kick, and convert).
5) Firebrand combo; end with Dark Fire -> Stalking Flare (XFC), charge 1D2C, release 1D2C.
6) Stalking Flare -> Luminous Body.
7) Ground dash, Mystic Ray, unblockable.
8) Kill the last character.

In our version, this will be less strong, because there's a 20% health buff and X-Factor values are toned down (though nothing stops X-Factor 1D2C from killing a character at peak height). It's still strong, though, and maybe even too strong. Tenderizer is the most common abuse of Firebrand's unblockables, but there are a lot of abuses out there. Instead of Stalking Flare, for example, I can use Round Harvest. I can also use Gamma Quake, or THC XFC a lot of team hypers, use Senpu Bu, and a dozen other assists. Take that all for what you will, but I wanted to provide information for the discussion.

Dahbomb

Isn't Mystic Ray faster in this game now?

People don't really care much when 2 meters are being used to set up unlockables and stuff. FB can easily die before he has the meter.

I don't like unlockables but in the current state it's not that bad with Tenderizer removed.

Isn't Mystic Ray faster in this game now?

People don't really care much when 2 meters are being used to set up unlockables and stuff. FB can easily die before he has the meter.

I don't like unlockables but in the current state it's not that bad with Tenderizer removed.
Faster Mystic Ray just means easier unblockables for me. It's a strain as it is.

Not that I would use my current team in our version of the game. ;-)

Dahbomb

How much is your meterless damage on FB? I would say on average you can get 400k meterless, most likely less.

I am going to calculate how effective this set up is. I don't think you are going to be able to kill a character with one reset and two hypers.

No matter what happens this is not a touch of death. I wager you need at least 3 hits on the other team to get this whole thing off against average health character.

I just calculated and if you get clean hits and do optimized combos you should be able to do a semi death loop after the first reset on average health characters. On above average health characters you need one additional reset. The only problem comes against the final character, if he survives you are in a bad shape and most likely he WILL survive. If you don't burn X factor in the middle then you will have to get an additional hit in.

How much is your meterless damage on FB? I would say on average you can get 400k meterless, most likely less.

I am going to calculate how effective this set up is. I don't think you are going to be able to kill a character with one reset and two hypers.

No matter what happens this is not a touch of death. I wager you need at least 3 hits on the other team to get this whole thing off against average health character.

I just calculated and if you get clean hits and do optimized combos you should be able to do a semi death loop after the first reset on average health characters. On above average health characters you need one additional reset. The only problem comes against the final character, if he survives you are in a bad shape and most likely he WILL survive. If you don't burn X factor in the middle then you will have to get an additional hit in.
I don't recall, but I definitely get more than 400K on a typical Firebrand combo without spending any meter. 615K-ish is max for a Firebrand solo combo for 1 bar. Keep in mind that I combo into Dark Hole mid-combo for more damage.

Dahbomb

Has Zissou responded yet? Also which system mechanics are we debating right now? I think God's Beard was opposed to the health buff so we should probably discuss that.

Zissou

Rules: I have posted a list for every category of changes. Each committee member will fill the list out with a "Y" or "N" next to teach category. Example:

Features - Y
TACs - N
Throws - Y
X-Factor - N
Damage - Y
Combos - Y

If you post a "Y" for "Yes", then you are done for that section. If you put a "N" for "No", list specifically what in that section you do not approve of. All votes are being taken with respect to the master change list at the beginning of this thread. Any and all issues should be brought up. We will strive for 5 "Y"s for each subject. Going 4/5 on votes will be a last resort. If any member expresses dissatisfaction with a section, that section will be discussed until either unanimous support or a 4/5 vote can be accomplished. I will keep an excel sheet listing every member's approval.

Features
TACs - Y

Throws - Need more clarification of how command grabs will interact with normal grabs. The intent seems to be to let command grabs beat out normal grabs, but I'm skeptical that it's necessary. Some characters it won't help much- She-hulk's command grab is 10 frame start-up. She goes for the command grab against Dr. Strange. He's mashing impact palm/throw option select. Since the throw is now impossible because She-hulk is unthrowable during the 10 frame start-up of her command throw, he gets impact palm instead, which comes out in 6 frames. She-hulk gets hit and crumpled and Dr. Strange gets a full combo. I kind of like normal throws as they are now. Increasing the throw tech window is an indirect nerf to characters with shitty defensive options, isn't it? Characters with bad/slow normals and no reversal have only a couple things to get them out of trouble- snap back (2 frame, costs a meter, can still be stuffed, have to burn x-factor to get a follow-up), normal throw (option-select strength and post-throw comboability character-dependent), and x-factor guard cancel (burn an extremely valuable resource, somewhat risky since improperly timing it won't lead to a combo). Weakening normal throws could have unseen repercussions.

X-Factor - Not convinced on the timer stop (but not hugely opposed to it either). If everyone else votes yes, I won't fight it.

Damage - Leaning toward yes. God's beard is the only hold out, yeah?

Combos - Y

Assists - I understand the intent of not allowing assist calls at superjump height being that jam session/missiles/vajra/etc. can't be mindlessly mashed to combo break aerial resets. What if we just locked out assist calls in that circumstance for one or two seconds rather than until you touched the ground again? It would be a smaller change (and smaller changes that still get the job done are to be preferred, IMO) but it wouldn't really affect resets.

Other - Y

Zissou, what was your vote for Features? I assume a Y, but I want to be courteous.

Please make a vote on damage and not just a "leaning" comment.

Dahbomb

I think we can definitely put a limit on when you can call assist after a throw recovery at SJ height. Basically enough that your reset can succeed before they have a chance to call assists. I say 1 second is the most you need, if your reset needs more than that it's probably not an air tight one to begin with.

I think we can definitely put a limit on when you can call assist after a throw recovery at SJ height. Basically enough that your reset can succeed before they have a chance to call assists. I say 1 second is the most you need, if your reset needs more than that it's probably not an air tight one to begin with.
I'm not for an arbitrary timer. I like the idea that superjumping, which is a very easy and overused getaway tool, has some additional risk to it.

@Zissou on this issue: I will give you an example of why this is an important change. For a change of pace, I'll use Dormammu as an example!

Let's say that Wolverine is at superjump height at mid-screen. Naturally, I throw a Purification at him. It hits! Being a smart Wolverine player, he holds forward. Now he is about 1 character length from me. I use Purification again. It hits! Wolverine holds forward again, but this time he calls Akuma as he recovers. Guess what happens if I try to throw another Purification? Right right, I get hit by Akuma before it comes out, and Wolverine gets a full combo on me. Basically, if I play smart, the current system rewards me with having to block a mix-up.

It just shouldn't work that way. If you superjump, you superjumped. Land if you want to call an assist. I say that as someone who mains two characters that do nothing but superjump to get in and do their stuff. I'm entirely guilty of getting hit by Hidden Missiles with Dormammu to make another free Dark Harmonizer call - thanks for the free meter! It would have taken me longer, and been less safe, if I had landed instead.

Dahbomb

Well under the 1 second rule he still wouldn't be able to call assists until he at least comes out of block stun from the second Purification. Besides I don't know if you should be using Purification at that range where a Tatsu might hit you... any further and a Tatsu assist called like that is free Chaotic Flame punish.

But I see your point. There is just such a wider use of this exploit than just getting out of resets.

Code:
	D	G	F	K	Z
Feature	Y	Y	Y	Y	Y
TACs	Y	Y	Y	Y	Y
Throws	Y	Y	Y	Y	N
X-F	Y	Y	Y	Y	N
Damage	Y	N	Y	Y	Y
Combos	Y	Y	Y	Y	Y
Assists	Y	N	Y	N	N
Other	Y	Y	Y	Y	Y

Well under the 1 second rule he still wouldn't be able to call assists until he at least comes out of block stun from the second Purification. Besides I don't know if you should be using Purification at that range where a Tatsu might hit you... any further and a Tatsu assist called like that is free Chaotic Flame punish.

But I see your point. There is just such a wider use of this exploit than just getting out of resets.
Nah, because Wolverine can dive kick me to keep the tatsu safe.

Dahbomb

Let's first tackle the issue of damage/health before getting on to assists as this is a very easy point of discussion.

Zissou

Sorry- missed it. I vote yes on features.

Give me a little more time to think on damage. I fully support the spirit of the damage reduction change and always have. Games are about making interesting decisions and fighting games let me make lots of interesting decisions in any given match at a lightning pace. In marvel, a single clean hit into a ToD combo, into a multi-layered incoming mix-up leading to another ToD, into a final multi-layered incoming mix-up and victory is the name of the game. It's bad. I'm mostly worried about balance issues that will crop up as a side-effect. Part of the reason we still see lower tier characters still is that it only takes one hit to kill and lower tier characters when played well can still get that hit. Effectively reducing overall damage (I know it's technically a health buff) might exacerbate character balance issues. Try as we might, there will still be tiers if the game is ever patched.

Karst- I hadn't thought about the SJ height thing from that perspective. Aren't you concerned that it could end up another rich get richer scenario? Air-dash/flight characters retain their ability to attain superjump height and still call assists. Meanwhile, Haggar struggles to get in even more.

Frantic

I have a feeling that the change to make it so you can't call assists at super jump height after getting hit would be a technical nightmare, or open up tons of bugs/glitches to assist calling and stuff.

IMO, let Capcom worry about how to implement the changes. If it leads to bugs, then they can decide to forego the change.

Sorry- missed it. I vote yes on features.

Give me a little more time to think on damage. I fully support the spirit of the damage reduction change and always have. Games are about making interesting decisions and fighting games let me make lots of interesting decisions in any given match at a lightning pace. In marvel, a single clean hit into a ToD combo, into a multi-layered incoming mix-up leading to another ToD, into a final multi-layered incoming mix-up and victory is the name of the game. It's bad. I'm mostly worried about balance issues that will crop up as a side-effect. Part of the reason we still see lower tier characters still is that it only takes one hit to kill and lower tier characters when played well can still get that hit. Effectively reducing overall damage (I know it's technically a health buff) might exacerbate character balance issues. Try as we might, there will still be tiers if the game is ever patched.

Karst- I hadn't thought about the SJ height thing from that perspective. Aren't you concerned that it could end up another rich get richer scenario? Air-dash/flight characters retain their ability to attain superjump height and still call assists. Meanwhile, Haggar struggles to get in even more.
I am not sure how much competition you watch, but the superjump hit assist call trick gets used all the time against Morrigan/Doom teams as well. I have even heard it called the factor that balances Hidden Missiles.

I respect you taking more time to think about things. If you have any particular concerns, I am glad to talk them out with you.

Azure J

Definitely had a 4 match set with Drew Grimey just now. He lives up to the namesake. I now also fully understand Frantic's salt for Dante/Striders that time the teleport with the descent of the Vajra assist instead of working it into strings. It works though so I can't say shit about it! :lol

First three sets he ran Zero/Dante/Strider and played a really interesting rushing game until about the middle of the second set when I started blocking better and the zoning began. I was kinda mad that my pad decided to go full retard when I actually got the lockdown strings started with Crystal and couldn't get my Vajra to come out for the back throw pickup. Last game he switched to his main crew and destroyed me.

shaowebb

Why dont some of you get together at this point and use the Fighter Maker 2k2 pc engine now that its in english and start making a fighter?

I know I linked Godsbeard to it and listening to everyone here its pretty obvious you know what you want. Why not pull a Mike Z, setup a dropbox account and weekly skype and start reading through the engine. A ton of indie fighters exist in japan because of this engine so just go ahead and work on a fighter already.

This isn't sarcasm or cynicism...you all sound to be tight on your meta design, and you can debate pros and cons of what every kind of tool promotes in a game. I think you should just grab that engine since its low entry barrier and just get to it. Just sort of debate out your meter and mobility options and then come up with a list of playstyles you feel are needed and then debate themes for them in brainstorming sessions till you got some designs to start working on.

If nothing else push Beard to begin work on his own for his career's sake so that he can add some animation and concepts to his portfolio. He's gonna need it in his field. ;)

Dahbomb

Basically the people who argued against a universal health increase (because that's what this is, key difference) said that a universal change like this would further widen the gap. This is completely true... if there were no changes made to characters on an individual level.

As far as characters who did too much damage before and would still TOD... about 16-17 characters were nerfed in the damage department. Off the top of my head these characters were nerfed in damage:

Doom, Zero, Vergil, Viper, Spencer, Dorm, Wolverine, Magneto, Morrigan, Strange, Shuma, Hulk, Chris, Iron Man, Sentinel, Super Skrull, Frank West (on block)

Now obviously some characters still did low damage and I feel we have addressed characters who did low damage by giving them way better tools to allow for better combos or getting damage through other means. Examples include:

*Ghost Rider - Now chips on some chains
*Hsien Ko - Has OTG moves for extended combos. This character actually does good damage at max scaling but never had good combos to begin with, now she has more ways to combos.
*Viewtiful Joe - Has OTG RHK now
*Strider - Buffed the hyper, normal and special scaling
*Amaterasu - Buffed the scaling just like Strider
*Storm - Lightning Storm does more damage plus faster specials and flight cancel will allow her to do fancier combos (like Lightning Sphere combos or Typhoon relaunches)
*Rocket Raccoon - Has more hit stun on j.S for better aerial confirms and more "ROMs" before doing the BnB.
*She Hulk - Forced wall bounce on hyper means she can use up her wall bounce and do a full combo plus get full damage from her hyper.
*Nemesis - Improved hyper scaling and allowed for more follow ups after supers
*Deadpool - Increased damage on guns
*Chun Li - Kikoshi hitting OTG allows for easier and better combos overall
*Arthur - Basically got buffed hard in his neutral game but most importantly he can refresh Gold Armor now which ups his damage output a lot in terms of neutral game zoning

In addition some extra facts about the change to keep in mind:

*Meter gain is unaffected as this is a health buff overall. You combos will still build the same meter unless your character got a damage buff/nerf
*Health buff is percentage... NOT a flat bonus. This means higher health characters benefit more than lower health characters. Strider would still be below 1 million health, within range of most TODs in the game (he would be at 900K exactly). Thor would get the most bonus but really... the big bodies weren't a major threat in the meta to begin with. This makes their health more important in the game as opposed to before where it didn't really matter as much. So low health characters will still die fast but high health characters actually make their high health worth it.

Why dont some of you get together at this point and use the Fighter Maker 2k2 pc engine now that its in english and start making a fighter?
The problem is that we want Marvel to be better. If we made a fighter it would basically be a UMVC3 clone. :p

If nothing else push Beard to begin work on his own for his career's sake so that he can add some animation and concepts to his portfolio. He's gonna need it in his field. ;)

I have done some, but I'm kinda working around like 5 things -_- After school I'm moving to Thailand or somewhere cheap for a year or two to just work on all my crap.

Frantic

Definitely had a 4 match set with Drew Grimey just now. He lives up to the namesake. I now also fully understand Frantic's salt for Dante/Striders that time the teleport with the descent of the Vajra assist instead of working it into strings. It works though so I can't say shit about it! :lol
It sucks even worse because I know how to beat the strategy, but I never do because I'm expecting something completely different. I just can't stop thinking 'they're gonna do something smart this time!' but nope. Teleport! wooooo....

Sometimes it makes me think 'maybe I'm playing Dante/Strider wrong', but then when I try it I lose. >_>

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";74133779]I have done some, but I'm kinda working around like 5 things -_- After school I'm moving to Thailand or somewhere cheap for a year or two to just work on all my crap.[/QUOTE]

Good. You really need to push yourself on these things. I knwo being in college is a bitch to work around, but this is all you do...talk meta, count frames, and play marvel. You really need to be a part of this and working on your own fighter will help you really stay motivated to pump out solid framework, and designs.

This is the easiest engine I've found

But dont hold back if you find someone who codes with an engine who wants to partner with you. If you know they are legit and share your passion its easier to share your dream to finish it rather than to go it alone. It also helps you to stay motivated if your not alone...dont go bringing on people who just want to talk frames and dreams though. Thats what EVERY indie studio tends to screw up and do at least once and they kill a project as others get bogged down and they just keep designing like hyperactive egos with mouths.

Bring on workers like its a job because it is. Find people who share your interest. If folks here are software inclined or stubborn enough to learn the engine with you I think it'd be a good match. Others may draw, clean up frames, color, or animate , but lately its not artists who are hard to find...its coders. So if you can find some go for it.

Im serious folks...at this point you should just start learning some engine stuff and finding decent workers and start getting your design notes in order. This thread is nothing but design talk now. Good luck.

Good. You really need to push yourself on these things. I knwo being in college is a bitch to work around, but this is all you do...talk meta, count frames, and play marvel. You really need to be a part of this and working on your own fighter will help you really stay motivated to pump out solid framework, and designs.

This is the easiest engine I've found

But dont hold back if you find someone who codes with an engine who wants to partner with you. If you know they are legit and share your passion its easier to share your dream to finish it rather than to go it alone. It also helps you to stay motivated if your not alone...dont go bringing on people who just want to talk frames and dreams though. Thats what EVERY indie studio tends to screw up and do at least once and they kill a project as others get bogged down and they just keep designing like hyperactive egos with mouths.

Bring on workers like its a job because it is. Find people who share your interest. If folks here are software inclined or stubborn enough to learn the engine with you I think it'd be a good match. Others may draw, clean up frames, color, or animate , but lately its not artists who are hard to find...its coders. So if you can find some go for it.

Im serious folks...at this point you should just start learning some engine stuff and finding decent workers and start getting your design notes in order. This thread is nothing but design talk now. Good luck.
The thing is, none of us are really programmers outside from the now-unveiled Jetman. Games aren't made off of ideas, or else I'd be a lead game designer.

Though game design has always been a dream of mine...making a game would require animation and art skills, etc. I don't think we have all of that among us.

Dahbomb

I once help designed a game, we had a working demo for it but we had to quit because our coder, lead animator and programmer quit.

And by help I was in charge of the moveset, game play mechanics, enemy moves/abilities, boss design etc. It was a 2D action game, like DMC but in 2D.

It's too bad because we started on this project WAY WAY before Steam was even a thing. If we had started this now we would've had more motivation to kept at it. I really think what we had for the game was not replicated by games... it was really a DMC game but placed on a 2D plane complete with free form combos and weapon swapping.

I once help designed a game, we had a working demo for it but we had to quit because our coder, lead animator and programmer quit.

And by help I was in charge of the moveset, game play mechanics, enemy moves/abilities, boss design etc. It was a 2D action game, like DMC but in 2D.

It's too bad because we started on this project WAY WAY before Steam was even a thing. If we had started this now we would've had more motivation to kept at it. I really think what we had for the game was not replicated by games... it was really a DMC game but placed on a 2D plane complete with free form combos and weapon swapping.
I would love to work on something like that. I actually have a folder on my computer with ideas for different kinds of games...

Ghazi

I've talked about it before elsewhere, but I really plan on learning how to program. Ever since I did baby mode easy stuff in Visual Basic it's been a dream of mine. I've been taking Ruby classes online and I should be taking college level courses for/involving C# at a University alongside my High School curriculum this year. It's really hard to stay focused on it when it's so easy to just say "Hey, this is time I could be learning stuff? Nope, let's play video games".

I've had to put programming on hold since I have so much to do, I'd really like to get into the industry but I feel like I'd have to go to college twice to that. Once at a University of my choice for my general degree in programming since I plan on majoring in Computer Programming or something of the sort, most likely in state, then at Digi-Pen when I bring in enough money for full on qualification. I've heard from a lot of people inside the gaming industry that Digi-Pen applicants are taken pretty seriously.

Dahbomb

If any of you guys are going to make a game and it's in 2D game play... make it in 2.5D. Sprite work is really hard and time consuming. Our animator guy took like days to do one single move and often times it was not on par with what we wanted so he would have to re-animate it.

Unless your game does not have a lot of animations.

While I love 2D sprite work, I watched a Skullgirls animator work on the intricacies of Big Band's idle animation for a good 6 hours...god damn that was a lot of tedious work. I could never bring myself to do something like that.

I've talked about it before elsewhere, but I really plan on learning how to program. Ever since I did baby mode easy stuff in Visual Basic it's been a dream of mine. I've been taking Ruby classes online and I should be taking college level courses for/involving C# at a University alongside my High School curriculum this year. It's really hard to stay focused on it when it's so easy to just say "Hey, this is time I could be learning stuff? Nope, let's play video games".

I've had to put programming on hold since I have so much to do, I'd really like to get into the industry but I feel like I'd have to go to college twice to that. Once at a University of my choice for my general degree in programming since I plan on majoring in Computer Programming or something of the sort, most likely in state, then at Digi-Pen when I bring in enough money for full on qualification. I've heard from a lot of people inside the gaming industry that Digi-Pen applicants are taken pretty seriously.
What are Ruby classes?

shaowebb

Only way it happens is to settle down and learn an engine. If you can't draw then thats your best option. If you can draw you need to learn it anyways...I'm having to and it honestly helps you design frames for games when you do this. Helps your designs when you know frame count needs.

Just accept it wont make a lot of sense and it wont do what you want right off the bat and know that this is how you learn. 90% of making it is fixing allllllll the busted things that didn't work along the way. Good luck...hopefully this sparks some of you guys to settle into some engines and documentation...I think several of you really owe it to yourselves to try and make a serious investment of your time into something of this sort. Good luck.

Astarte

Okay, so my team right now consists of Ghost Rider and Doctor Doom. Any recommendations on an anchor or an assist?

Ghazi

What are Ruby classes?
Ruby is an object oriented programming language, I'm not really sure how else I could describe it with my limited knowledge as I only recently started taking the courses (2 weeks ago). It's a pretty simple and easy to understand language, I had a tough time debating on whether to try it or Java first as Java lets you be lazy a little more by auto managing memory for a developer. But I was told by a friend who programs that I should try Ruby on Rails to see if I like it a little, though I've also looked into Lua.

The thing I'm mostly worried about is discrete math and what I'll have to learn and/or teach myself when I get into a more difficult programming language.

Thank you for explaining that.

Another example of superjump assist calls resulting in dumb stuff:
If I use Purification x Stalking Flare, I have to make sure the Purification is blocked. If it hits, my opponent can call an assist on recovery, and it will hit Dormammu because Stalking Flare is chasing the point character, leaving Dormammu vulnerable.

Okay, so my team right now consists of Ghost Rider and Doctor Doom. Any recommendations on an anchor or an assist?
It depends on what assist you want Doom to have. If you're into Plasma Beam, then I recommend Strider for your anchor. He goes well with Doom and covers the skies. If you want Hidden Missiles, then I recommend Iron Man for Unibeam assist. Ghost Rider really plays best when he is backed by a beam and an anti-air.

While I love 2D sprite work, I watched a Skullgirls animator work on the intricacies of Big Band's idle animation for a good 6 hours...god damn that was a lot of tedious work. I could never bring myself to do something like that.
Ultra tedious work. I saw a lot of that with Squigly. I'm sure Mariel will perk up once she gets to work on someone curvaceous like Eliza.

Skilletor

So I'm going to try and learn this game again. My team will be:

Nova/magneto/doom

I like nova with a beam assist.

Anybody have some tips or vids/players to watch who uses the team?

Astarte

It depends on what assist you want Doom to have. If you're into Plasma Beam, then I recommend Strider for your anchor. He goes well with Doom and covers the skies. If you want Hidden Missiles, then I recommend Iron Man for Unibeam assist. Ghost Rider really plays best when he is backed by a beam and an anti-air.

Time to pick up strider! Thank you very much.

Dahbomb

Nova/magneto/doom

Magneto plus Doom backing up Nova seems redundant. Unless Doom is on Missiles which aren't that great for Nova. This is one team where I would actually recommend Rocks assist Doom.

Nova/magneto/doom

I think the only issue is that Nova doesn't do particularly well with EMD, so you will need Plasma Beam for doom. After that, it depends on whether you want to figure out Hyper Grav tricks with the team or just squeeze out a little extra damage with EMD.

Consider putting Magneto on anchor as well; DHC him in safely if Doom survives the incoming mix-up. Better DHCs that way, too.

Dahbomb

I guess another way to play would be Magneto on point with Nova plus Doom (Plasma Beam). You can go for unblockables with Magneto.

No one plays Nova/Mag/Sent because Disruptor is not a great assist for Nova as he needs a beam with some staying power. If Iron Man didn't suck Nova/IM/Sentinel would be a great team. In our new patch that team would be top tier!

Top Bottom