• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Alex Valle beat my ass like 13 times with Twelve. He told me he could and I didn't believe him. It was quite embarrassing.

I wish I still had the picture of me beating SephirothRK's Ken in 3s with a double-double ko with Twelve.

I said her playstyle is, and it is.

You'd have to be super pedantic to say her playstyle is wholly removed from all the other "stationary projectile and crossup shenenigans" characters in other games. The only difference is that they took away most of those characters' tools and gave her more cancels so she'd fit into SF4. That's like saying Remy doesn't play anything like guile or deejay because he gets charge partitioning and has to play around parries.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94003648]You'd have to be super pedantic to say her playstyle is wholly removed from all the other "stationary projectile and crossup shenenigans" characters in other games. The only difference is that they took away most of those characters' tools and gave her more cancels so she'd fit into SF4. That's like saying Remy doesn't play anything like guile or deejay because he gets charge partitioning and has to play around parries.[/QUOTE]
The decision-making process is not even remotely the same. That's what separates gameplay. C. Viper's cancels are the fundamental basis of the character. She would not be anything like she is now without them - no one would even use Seismos except out of desperation.

The decision-making process is not even remotely the same. That's what separates gameplay. C. Viper's cancels are the fundamental basis of the character. She would not be anything like she is now without them - no one would even use Seismos except out of desperation.

And Remy doesn't think about sonic booms like Guile does! That doesn't make him a unique character.

Viper has tools that differentiate her from the other characters that have the same playstyle. She's not a wholly unique playstyle to herself.

If Jedah, Zato-1 and Twelve are Ryu, Akuma and Dan, then C.Viper is Sakura.

Viper's seismos are the way they are because of jump cancels. If she didn't have jump cancels, seismos would have hit more times to create lockdown.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94006072]And Remy doesn't think about sonic booms like Guile does! That doesn't make him a unique character.

Viper has tools that differentiate her from the other characters that have the same playstyle. She's not a wholly unique playstyle to herself.

If Jedah, Zato-1 and Twelve are Ryu, Akuma and Dan, then C.Viper is Sakura.

Viper's seismos are the way they are because of jump cancels. If she didn't have jump cancels, seismos would have hit more times to create lockdown.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes I think you go out of your way to make dumb arguments just to be irritating.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ that useless 3C against Morrigan. If Morrigan couldn't just DP/fly cancel out of it then the move would actually be somewhat useable against her.

I feel like I am back on training wheels. Played a bunch after falling into the GT6 and BF4 vortex. I think apologyman's team (skrull/frank/doom) is super fun but I feel so rusty.

Here are the teams I have enjoyed;
Nova/Doom/Strider
Capt/Sent/Strider
Doom/Storm/Strange
Morrigan/Spencer/Akuma
Firebrand/Hulk/Sentinel
Nova/Morrigan/Doom
Nova/Storm/Sent

I love how this game and your playstyle changes based off of the team. I really do stink at this game though.

edit; Also showed my friend KBR's team. He wreaked me with it!

Nova Doom Strider is super good.
Sometimes I think you go out of your way to make dumb arguments just to be irritating.
The cancels are a novelty, they aren't what separates her from the entire history of fighting games like you seem to think.

I can't think of a reason Viper's cancels make her seismo usage all that different from other characters with seismos. Fake fireballs aren't the only way to bait someone.

Twelve's mindset really isn't all that different from C.Viper. He just has an airdash instead of being able to jump with seismos. His whole game is confusion too. This is coming from a guy that played Twelve for more than a decade.

MVC2 Sentinel has a different mindset than MVC3 Sentinel but I wouldn't call them completely unique characters. But I think we just have different definitions of what that means and should probably stop worrying about it.

Now I really wanna play 3s lol

Man, playing all my kuso games reminds me how much fun it is to play a game that doesn't care. Sometimes I think Marvel is entirely too fair for my tastes.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I guess I'm subscribing to this shit now that I've finally picked up the game.

Is there any general guide to all the subtle nuances of the system and how they've been exploited, or is all that info fragmented across a lot of different sources? Like, what the fuck is plink dashing? How do I do TAC infinites and guard breaks? You know, that kind of stuff. I mean I know I can easily just look up those sorts of things individually and find what I'm looking for in seconds, but it would be nice if there was one general thing that lists a bunch of stuff. That way I might also see things I haven't already heard about. Like last night when I was doing Hawkeye's missions I had to google that shit to learn about cancelling launchers with jump then cancelling the jump into a special so you can sort of pseudo-cancel launchers into things.

Playing Wesker/Storm/Hawkeye for now. Feels like a pretty good team, except maybe it would be better if I replaced Storm with someone else, but I like Storm and it's not like I'm taking this too seriously anyway so whatever. I'm probably wrong anyway since I don't know shit about this game. Maybe that team is godlike or something.

Zero's playstyle is unique......
Agreed! Marvel has a lot of unique playstyles.

So I guess I'm subscribing to this shit now that I've finally picked up the game.

Is there any general guide to all the subtle nuances of the system and how they've been exploited, or is all that info fragmented across a lot of different sources? Like, what the fuck is plink dashing? How do I do TAC infinites and guard breaks? You know, that kind of stuff. I mean I know I can easily just look up those sorts of things individually and find what I'm looking for in seconds, but it would be nice if there was one general thing that lists a bunch of stuff. That way I might also see things I haven't already heard about. Like last night when I was doing Hawkeye's missions I had to google that shit to learn about cancelling launchers with jump then cancelling the jump into a special so you can sort of pseudo-cancel launchers into things.

Playing Wesker/Storm/Hawkeye for now. Feels like a pretty good team, except maybe it would be better if I replaced Storm with someone else, but I like Storm and it's not like I'm taking this too seriously anyway so whatever. I'm probably wrong anyway since I don't know shit about this game. Maybe that team is godlike or something.
All kinds of angst mixed in that post!

Play a team you like. You are not good enough to need to who're it up.

Info is spread, but everyone here helps with questions.

Plink dashing is basically just plinking in the neutral over and over. It chains dashes.

Guard breaks and TAC infinites require 1 frame links. Ignore them for now.

onionfrog

Your team seems pretty solid.
Wesker is a good character to start learning the game with. You've even got it in the correct order too. :)

Read Karsticles' excellent team building guide if you haven't already. It also covers some game mechanics. (But not TAC infinites since they weren't discovered when it was written. )

Also PSN or XBL?

Dahbomb

Yea don't worry about guard breaks. The only guard break you should know about is that you can be grabbed during an advance guard so you just need to be careful about advance guarding.

Plink is performed by doing H ~ L+M+H. You plink H into L+M+H. A lot of players set L+M+H into a macro so you are just plinking one button into another although FChamp does plink the hard way. Here's a video showing plink dash.

Otherwise just do wave dashes like normal.... 2 attack buttons, down, 2 attack buttons. For fly characters, you can do fly cancel into zig zag air dash (up/forward air dash into down/forward air dash).

For combos that require you to do a quick special after a launcher.. you can tiger knee the special so that you get a jump canceled into the special. Example include something like Dorm's launcher into Liberation so you would input launcher into QCB, up/back + H.

Other basic Marvel tips I can give straight up:

*Chicken block always. Do not try to block things on the ground you will get opened up. Up back in dire situations although be careful as good players can catch the up back with a fast low.

*Learn to option select your jump H with down/back so you get a throw. Crucial with someone like Wesker. Characters like Wolverine have a Dive Kick mapped to d+H do inputting down/back + H option selects into a back throw. For Wesker you almost always want the back throw because it option selects with a block and the back throw puts the opponent closer to Wesker so he can combo from it easier.

*You can end Wesker combos with team super by doing full bread and butter, launcher, MMHS, OTG Low gun shot into Team hyper combo (which is simply both assist buttons at the same time). The Hailstorm from Storm will add a lot of damage to this combo if you have two meters.

*Assist + teleport mix up is a common Marvel tactics that beat up new players easily. Always up back to avoid the initial beam and against characters like Dante, up back so that you jump at the spot where he teleports. If you are on the ground and they make you block a normal into a teleport mix up, you can time your push block to the mix up to negate it completely. This takes practice though however it's a standard tactic to block teleport mix ups. Vajra Teleports are harder to block because you can't up back them however if you are in the air away from the point character, you can swat out Vajra with your normals, you just need to practice the timing and which button to press in training mode.

*Wesker's cr.L into command throw or staggered cr.L/cr.M is a potent starting mix up to learn along with the standard make them block a cr.M then call Hawkeye assist while doing a Teleport L or Teleport H. While it's easier to confirm from the command throw that wall bounces.. you will get more damage from getting a combo off of the other ones as they preserve your wall bounce (you just have to dash up to catch them).

*Be careful about super jumping. A lot of the time you need to do it but be careful about coming down as you can get crossed up as the opponents like to wave dash below you. Try to come down with Wesker's j.S or just do a teleport to the ground if they aren't close to you. You can use this against an opponent who likes to super jump a lot.. just get under them and start wave dashing around them as they come down so they have to guess which side you are going to attack from.

*Do not in any circumstance mash assists when you are being rushed down. That's an easy way to get happy birthday'd. You need to be very careful about assist calls in this game.

*Both Wesker and Storm launchers are safe.... Hawkeye's is not. This means that Wesker and Storm launchers can be used to anti air without much risk (especially Storm's because it has a massive hit box). Generally though you do not want to end block strings with a launcher, you give up pressure and most launchers in the game are unsafe (you just happened to pick 2 of the few who have safe launchers).

*With Storm, pressing up, up into a normal allows you to do a float cancel into a fast overhead. So basically just input up, up + S which is a fast overhead. Learning optimized combos with Storm is essential because she has mediocre meter gain for a fly character.

*As far as push blocking goes, the general rule of thumb is that you don't want to push block anything that is unsafe/punishable. There aren't that many moves in that the game that are punishable which means you are going to push block a majority of the offense that comes your way as it will probably be + on block. Be careful not to mash push block because then you will get a dash command and get blown up... try to first confirm the block animation and then push block the second attack. The exception to this rule is something like Wolverine doing a normal into a close Berserker Slash. You never want to push block a Berserker Slash as 1) It's unsafe so if he doesn't hyper cancel or use an assist, he can be punished and 2) if he does cancel and you push blocked, he is at supreme frame advantage which is going to lead into a nastier mix up. There are also times where you want to save your push block to negate a right left mix up but that comes with experience... for now just remember to push block anything that is 0 or + on block and not push block anything that is punishable. Also... you cannot push block assists BUT using push block in the air while being locked down with an assist slows down your descent which keeps you in the air longer and impervious to high low. Push blocking of course lowers the chip you take so you always want to push block as much as you can against blocked hypers like Stalking Flare or blocking Soul Fists in the air when you are far away from Morrigan.

Dahbomb

By the way we need to make those Felicia changes. I am going to be busy for about 4 hours so we can talk about it at night.

I haven't played that exact team but I like the idea of it. I sometimes play Wesker/Storm/RocketRaccoon and I really like the Wesker/Storm THC (team hyper combo). And in your case Hawkeye has pretty good assists for both characters. Wesker's assist is good for Storm so she can get a little more damage since her damage is low.

Another team I like that has two of your characters is Wesker/Strange/Hawkeye. Sometimes I change up the order a bit depending on matchups, but the THC here is pretty damn good. Hawkeye backed by Strange can be a nightmare matchup for a lot of characters. Wesker/Strange can lead to a lot of command grab setups and crossup shenanigans.

Zissou

It's funny that a lot of people here seem to be messing around with Storm lately. I've been grinding out Magneto/Storm/Raccoon in training mode for a couple weeks now and I'm enjoying it to the point where I don't feel like playing my main team much anymore, haha. I feel like spending a lot of time with a secondary team (with none of my main team's characters on it for once!) will make me better at the game overall (especially a technical team like this one).

Spitfire assist is godlike- it's like drones that can't ducked attached to the smallest character in the game instead of the largest. Too bad about the 750k health :(. I finally learned xf3 combos Raccoon and he can hit quite hard with pretty easy stuff- float cancel S feels exactly like double jump cancel S for Strider's bird bomb loops.

I've also got Storm's xf3 combos worked out, but a question to God's Beard (or any other Mag players out there)- what should I be doing for midscreen xf3 Magneto combos? In the corner it's quite easy- you can just freestyle or do st.H into hyper grav a million times, but midscreen, I'm at a bit of a loss. For my non-xf bnb, I just do the FChamp since it's pretty easy and consistent, but the timing for the mag blast seems wonky in xf and the relaunch into flight portion is weird too- seems random which side I end up on (and this in turn can fuck up my input for flight). I'm really looking for reliability above all- what I've been doing up until now is: launch, j.H, addf, j.H, land, neutral jump, j.H xx adf j.H, fly, j.L, j.H (adf j.H a bunch of times), S (causes a hard knockdown). It does around a million w/o meter, and I can tack on more damage with shockwave if I want, but it seems pretty ghetto.

FSLink

Banned
Spitfire assist is godlike- it's like drones that can't ducked attached to the smallest character in the game instead of the largest. Too bad about the 750k health :(. I finally learned xf3 combos Raccoon and he can hit quite hard with pretty easy stuff- float cancel S feels exactly like double jump cancel S for Strider's bird bomb loops.

I always liked spitfire with Wesker or Spencer, your post makes me want to go back in the training mode with him. My execution's better than it was when I first tried him too, so maybe I can figure out how to do boulder trap loops this time, lol

Plus Shuma/Ammy/Rocket Racoon sounds way too fun.

I'll be on PSN in a bit for anybody who wants to play.

Azure J

I kinda want to learn Viper/Doom (Beam)/Strider to fuck around with in some matches.Dante's my boy forever, but after hearing that Marlin is planning to make the switch, I'm curious.

Ghazi

I kinda want to learn Viper/Doom (Beam)/Strider to fuck around with in some matches.Dante's my boy forever, but after hearing that Marlin is planning to make the switch, I'm curious.

Marlin's switching to Dante? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN I WANT TO SEE SWAG?!

Zissou

I always liked spitfire with Wesker or Spencer, your post makes me want to go back in the training mode with him. My execution's better than it was when I first tried him too, so maybe I can figure out how to do boulder trap loops this time, lol

Plus Shuma/Ammy/Rocket Racoon sounds way too fun.

I'll be on PSN in a bit for anybody who wants to play.

I know that feel- I need to learn boulder trap loops. Sucks that there are no worthwhile intermediate combos w/ him- either day 1 bnb or really really hard stuff.

DJ Devine plays that team too if you're looking for footage of tech.

Ghazi

MarlinPie is switching Ammy with Strider. Didn't hear anything about Dante though.

Oh, I read it incorrectly, I saw Dante and Marlinpie and the word "switching" and thought he was going to Dante. It makes more sense, in the context of the sentence, for Strider to be it.

#Englishprobs

By the way we need to make those Felicia changes. I am going to be busy for about 4 hours so we can talk about it at night.
There is no rush. I want to sit on the patch for a while. It should stay as-is except for errors and clarification for a while. No need to appear flippant.

Fragment, if you are on PSN, Ghazi is pretty new to the game still.

Ghazi

Fragment, if you are on PSN, Ghazi is pretty new to the game still.

Ey yo, I just read all his posts, we should play. I'm on both 360 and PSN so we'll be able to play!

Yeah man, we can learn together haha, my finals end on Friday and besides studying for my ACT I'll be on XBL probably close to 8 or 9 hours a day playing Marvel (Expect rage posts,
not really, I'll keep it together
.)

I'm going to try at least win one match at Kumite in Tennessee.

Good luck on your ACT Ghazi. Also hearing you say that you're studying for it right now makes me feel old, man! :/
Ha, thanks! Don't feel old lol, just think of it as I'm extremely young.

onionfrog

It's funny that you guys mention storm.
I've also been playing storm on a few side teams.
-Dante/Storm/Strider
-Hawkeye/Storm/Sentinel
-Felicia/Storm/Sentinel

Hail Storm is too fucking good!
Yeah man, we can learn together haha, my finals end on Friday and besides studying for my ACT I'll be on XBL probably close to 8 or 9 hours a day playing Marvel (Expect rage posts,
not really, I'll keep it together
.)

I'm going to try at least win one match at Kumite in Tennessee.
Good luck on your ACT Ghazi. Also hearing you say that you're studying for it right now makes me feel old, man! :/

mr. puppy

Banned
so what is rocket raccoon's best spot on a team? i remember screwing around with his position like a year ago when I played this game but I got nowhere. Should I put him in the front with like Doom/Akuma or something? I bet tatsu is awesome for him.

Zissou

so what is rocket raccoon's best spot on a team? i remember screwing around with his position like a year ago when I played this game but I got nowhere. Should I put him in the front with like Doom/Akuma or something? I bet tatsu is awesome for him.

I think point Raccoon and anchor Raccoon both work. On point with a lockdown assist, you can get true unblockables, you can use an anti-air assist to cover his most glaring weakness (can't do shit against people flying around), and horizontal assists help him against keep-away and offer teleport cross-up options. As an anchor, Raccoon offers your team one of his two godly assists, gets real american damage in xf3, and mad hopper is a great anti-comeback/anti-dark anchor tool.

FSLink

Banned
Good games TWILT. Starting lagging up pretty bad at the end there, dunno why...missed a happy birthday combo like twice, lol, and one match it lagged right before my FoF loop. :(

Before that though, tons of fun. Been practicing plink dashing though I kept forgetting to do it with Ryu. :/

TWILT

Banned
GGs FSLink. Sorry about the lag spike near the end. Yeah tons of fun during the matches.

Maaan I do not like fighting Wesker/Spencer + Bolts assist. I need to stop pressing buttons on Spencer's armor piercer. -_- Just gotta practice some more I guess~

smurfx

get some go again
you guys ever get mad at how other people play your characters? i can't stand seeing haggars not use their command grabs. other times it's usually their crappy haggar combos.

Zissou

I get angry when Doom players don't
use footdive for mobility and when they only do the one j.M j.M footdive footdive bnb- his optimized combos aren't even hard for fuck sake!

Top Bottom