• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

I don't get angry about bad players. Everyone learns. I do get annoyed that every Thor player on the planet gives him no neutral assist support.

I get angry when Doom players don't
use footdive for mobility and when they only do the one j.M j.M footdive footdive bnb- his optimized combos aren't even hard for fuck sake!
I foot dive from full screen all day!

Optimized Doom combos are hard as hell. j.L, f.H, addf, s.S is something I can do one in ten times in training mode.

so what is rocket raccoon's best spot on a team? i remember screwing around with his position like a year ago when I played this game but I got nowhere. Should I put him in the front with like Doom/Akuma or something? I bet tatsu is awesome for him.
He is good everywhere imo, but best outside of point so you can use his assist.

Zissou

I foot dive from full screen all day!

Optimized Doom combos are hard as hell. j.L, f.H, addf, s.S is something I can do one in ten times in training mode.

I don't consider Maziodyne loops to be reliable enough midscreen to be considered an optimized "bnb" since they don't work on every character and if you start outside of point blank range they can drop on anyone even if your execution is on point. However, you can certainly do better than the stuff you see most Doom players doing while still maintaining combo reliability.

AdamMPSP

Hey, so IMPORTANT QUESTION, guys. If I own Jill and Shuma-Gorath in vanilla MvsC3, will I also own them in UMvsC3, or do I have to rebuy them?

Dahbomb

so what is rocket raccoon's best spot on a team? i remember screwing around with his position like a year ago when I played this game but I got nowhere. Should I put him in the front with like Doom/Akuma or something? I bet tatsu is awesome for him.
Competitively his best position is anchor because at that spot he will have the damage necessarily to kill characters with XF3 and his low health isn't a liability. Plus he has great assists and a safe DHC so you can never wrong with him on anchor. Next best spot is #2 with a lockdown assist.

use footdive for mobility and when they only do the one j.M j.M footdive footdive bnb- his optimized combos aren't even hard for fuck sake!
Hahaha, that would be me. I rarely do ANY optimized combos with any character. Not really my style. The only character I do them with regularly is Spencer.

I my defense I don't know any optimized combos with anyone. My Doom will probably forever be doing j.M j.M double footdive combos

Sigmaah

I hate doing j.M j.M combos when I land a footdive, please tell me something that's a lot better to use and is actually reliable. Fucking JJ's be dropping in that lag yo.

TWILT

Banned
I cannot stand Dante players who don't Bold Cancel and just use the crappy Million Stabs combo. You're getting like no damage off that combo man...

Zissou

I hate doing j.M j.M combos when I land a footdive, please tell me something that's a lot better to use and is actually reliable. Fucking JJ's be dropping in that lag yo.

I'll see if I can record a video in a bit!

I cannot stand Dante players who don't Bold Cancel and just use the crappy Million Stabs combo. You're getting like no damage off that combo man...

People actually do this?!

Kbeast used to do this a constantly. It is extremely aggravating to see. Not sure if he still does it though.

Azure J

you guys ever get mad at how other people play your characters? i can't stand seeing haggars not use their command grabs. other times it's usually their crappy haggar combos.

I feel like an old grump when it happens but yeah. I can't stand watching Dante players outside of like 3 (GreenAce, Marvelo, Yipes and Yipes is really only here because of his movement). Half of it is because I hate how no one uses most of his stuff in neutral and the other half is because I'm upset that some things haven't gone past Vanilla mentality.

Chances are if you've ever:

- Confirmed an OTG with Cold Shower over Volcano and weren't planning a reset/meter build combo
- Your neutral is entirely Air Play or boxdash j.M/H
- You do Million Dollars XFC Million Dollars when you know that second MD won't kill
- You don't use Weasel Shot
- You fly in Devil Trigger and aren't multi dashing everywhere
- You don't use Assist + Twister in durability/projectile wars
- [Kinda personal opinion more than anything] You play Dante without Strider at this point.

Then I've gone "wth" looking at it.

Marz

What do you guys think about Nova/Magneto/Doom? And should it be ran in that order and what assist should Nova have?

It's funny that a lot of people here seem to be messing around with Storm lately. I've been grinding out Magneto/Storm/Raccoon in training mode for a couple weeks now and I'm enjoying it to the point where I don't feel like playing my main team much anymore, haha. I feel like spending a lot of time with a secondary team (with none of my main team's characters on it for once!) will make me better at the game overall (especially a technical team like this one).

Spitfire assist is godlike- it's like drones that can't ducked attached to the smallest character in the game instead of the largest. Too bad about the 750k health :(. I finally learned xf3 combos Raccoon and he can hit quite hard with pretty easy stuff- float cancel S feels exactly like double jump cancel S for Strider's bird bomb loops.

I've also got Storm's xf3 combos worked out, but a question to God's Beard (or any other Mag players out there)- what should I be doing for midscreen xf3 Magneto combos? In the corner it's quite easy- you can just freestyle or do st.H into hyper grav a million times, but midscreen, I'm at a bit of a loss. For my non-xf bnb, I just do the FChamp since it's pretty easy and consistent, but the timing for the mag blast seems wonky in xf and the relaunch into flight portion is weird too- seems random which side I end up on (and this in turn can fuck up my input for flight). I'm really looking for reliability above all- what I've been doing up until now is: launch, j.H, addf, j.H, land, neutral jump, j.H xx adf j.H, fly, j.L, j.H (adf j.H a bunch of times), S (causes a hard knockdown). It does around a million w/o meter, and I can tack on more damage with shockwave if I want, but it seems pretty ghetto.
i tried out that team a while ago, pretty fun but you should use log trap for sure

midscreen bnb is 2l2m2h xfc 2hs jh adf jh xx mag blast l, (jh xx magblast l, jmh xx magblast l) x 3, H xx hyper grav l etc

sorry on my phone

Solune

you guys ever get mad at how other people play your characters? i can't stand seeing haggars not use their command grabs. other times it's usually their crappy haggar combos.
Pretty much any Vergil that doesn't do optimized stuff. When a Vergil is at the wall, and they dont do the roundtrip loop and they STILL go for Teleport M, that shit makes me bonkers.

Doesn't it depend on the starter? The j.L Footdive Loop does about the same as the 4xLaunch with the one j.M footdives.... from the damage ive experimented with anyways it's almost identical.

Zissou

Here they are. The damage/length of your combo follow-up depends on whether you dash cancel the footdive and start the combo quickly or not. With no dash cancel (just letting Doom float dash after the footdive connected), you can do something like this: no dash cancel version. With a dash cancel to get to the ground quicker, you can get a full regular BnB like this. If you want to prove you can with even w/o the long hard knockdown time from footdive, do this and shame them. Didn't have time to edit them altogether nicely, haha.

Doesn't it depend on the starter? The j.L Footdive Loop does about the same as the 4xLaunch with the one j.M footdives.... from the damage ive experimented with anyways it's almost identical.

I was talking about midscreen bnbs. In the corner, you definitely get more damage with j.L footdive loop (Maziodyne loop). Let me try and find a video.

I feel like an old grump when it happens but yeah. I can't stand watching Dante players outside of like 3 (GreenAce, Marvelo, Yipes and Yipes is really only here because of his movement). Half of it is because I hate how no one uses most of his stuff in neutral and the other half is because I'm upset that some things haven't gone past Vanilla mentality.

- Confirmed an OTG with Cold Shower over Volcano and weren't planning a reset/meter build combo
- You do Million Dollars XFC Million Dollars when you know that second MD won't kill
- [Kinda personal opinion more than anything] You play Dante without Strider at this point.

Yay I feel like I've gotten a stamp of approval. I actually do all of that with the exception of using Volcano in some situations I should've. Most of the time I use it but occasionally I panic or go into auto pilot and use cold shower

onionfrog

You still got to wonder what that "not yet" comment was made by Combofiend... He's never seemed like a troll...
He's just playing with us... Expect nothing, just like Megaman got for his 25th anniversary. :(

I'm suddenly glad that you guys haven't seen my Dante Jam Session assist character -_-

I do fairly reasonable XF3 combos with him though.

I wish there were more varied choices for good AA assists in the game. :/

Sigmaah

Here they are. The damage/length of your combo follow-up depends on whether you dash cancel the footdive and start the combo quickly or not. With no dash cancel (just letting Doom float dash after the footdive connected), you can do something like this: no dash cancel version. With a dash cancel to get to the ground quicker, you can get a full regular BnB like this. If you want to prove you can with even w/o the long hard knockdown time from footdive, do this and shame them. Didn't have time to edit them altogether nicely, haha.

Thank you kindly sir! This stuff already looks better than j.M j.M! And it's looks cool too! gonna practice when I get home from my final!

Thank you kindly sir! This stuff already looks better than j.M j.M! And it's looks cool too! gonna practice when I get home from my final!

Does teabagging after footdive S alter the HSD of the combo? Can't forget that.

djHuoshen

Neo Member
There is no rush. I want to sit on the patch for a while. It should stay as-is except for errors and clarification for a while. No need to appear flippant.
No need to change right now but it should at least be discussed.

I know you guys put a lot of time on the patch notes, but I did go through the point of reading them and providing my thoughts on them in an argumentative manner, so I would feel a little insulted if my thoughts were just outright ignored and forgotten by the wayside, just because I didn't contribute originally and I wasn't part of the original suggestions. At least a little discussion would be appreciated.

Dahbomb

Your points aren't ignored, trust me. We just wanted to take a little breather from the patch as we were doing it non stop for like 2 weeks. When the time is right we will come back to it and your points will be the first matter of discussion.

I know you guys put a lot of time on the patch notes, but I did go through the point of reading them and providing my thoughts on them in an argumentative manner, so I would feel a little insulted if my thoughts were just outright ignored and forgotten by the wayside, just because I didn't contribute originally and I wasn't part of the original suggestions. At least a little discussion would be appreciated.
No worries there. I read your feedback. I just think that after we spent a good 5 months working on this, we shouldn't go changing things right away.

Plus, I am burnt out as hell. I work 60 hours a week, and then I came home and wrote a majority of that 100+ page annotation. Frankly, I'm sick of looking at the patch notes, and I need a break from it altogether. I hope you don't feel offended by that, because I do value your opinion as a solid Felicia main.

Sigmaah

Yo Zissou, the team you have in your vid, is that your main team? If so, I just started playing doom/strider a lot more with Zero as point. If you got any set ups with doom/strider, I'd gladly take some of your help with that! I need that cheap shit for when Zero gets taken out. Also gonna watch vids of clocks doom/strider so I can improve mine. Mine are pretty buttcheeks.

Zissou

I'm pretty burnt out from the patch stuff as well. I was also kind of sad to hear that the focus on the patch talk drove away people like Clockwork from participating in thread. Maybe we should keep a log of the feedback from high level players we receive and incorporate/address it all at the same time?

Yo Zissou, the team you have in your vid, is that your main team? If so, I just started playing doom/strider a lot more with Zero as point. If you got any set ups with doom/strider, I'd gladly take some of your help with that! I need that cheap shit for when Zero gets taken out. Also gonna watch vids of clocks doom/strider so I can improve mine. Mine are pretty buttcheeks.

Yeah, that my main team. I've been meaning to make a tech/proof-of-concept video showing some of the cheap stuff you can do (a lot of it derives from having access to jam session assist, so some stuff wouldn't apply to you). With vajra, you can do double hyper w/ Doom (because who wants to DHC into legion o_O), do standard 50/50 incoming set-ups like dash under ambiguous cross under launcher, you can get full screen full combos on plasma beam+vajra hit by burning xf, you can do ambiguous 50/50 resets with cross under footdive plus vajra in the corner (completely avoiding people trying to lariat/bionic arm/etc. their way out)...

Unfortunately, I won't have time before holiday travel to make the vid, but hopefully I'll get to it after New Years. If you have any specific questions in the meantime, let me know!

djHuoshen

Neo Member
Your points aren't ignored, trust me. We just wanted to take a little breather from the patch as we were doing it non stop for like 2 weeks. When the time is right we will come back to it and your points will be the first matter of discussion.
No worries there. I read your feedback. I just think that after we spent a good 5 months working on this, we shouldn't go changing things right away.

Plus, I am burnt out as hell. I work 60 hours a week, and then I came home and wrote a majority of that 100+ page annotation. Frankly, I'm sick of looking at the patch notes, and I need a break from it altogether. I hope you don't feel offended by that, because I do value your opinion as a solid Felicia main.

It's cool, I understand that developing those notes with full descriptors and reasoning took a lot of time and effort, so do take a break if you ever need to, just please don't forget about it either.

FSLink

Banned
Are there any good synergy between Strange (bolts) + Frank West?
Kind of want to use the Tron/Frank shell and the Frank/Strange shell, and aside from using Frank's shopping cart to get in with Strange, not sure if there's a way to level up Frank aside from TACs. If not I'll probably just stick with Tron/Frank/Dante or just run Eye of Agamatto

Sigmaah

I'm pretty burnt out from the patch stuff as well. I was also kind of sad to hear that the focus on the patch talk drove away people like Clockwork from participating in thread. Maybe we should keep a log of the feedback from high level players we receive and incorporate/address it all at the same time?

Yeah, that my main team. I've been meaning to make a tech/proof-of-concept video showing some of the cheap stuff you can do (a lot of it derives from having access to jam session assist, so some stuff wouldn't apply to you). With vajra, you can do double hyper w/ Doom (because who wants to DHC into legion o_O), do standard 50/50 incoming set-ups like dash under ambiguous cross under launcher, you can get full screen full combos on plasma beam+vajra hit by burning xf, you can do ambiguous 50/50 resets with cross under footdive plus vajra in the corner (completely avoiding people trying to lariat/bionic arm/etc. their way out)...

Unfortunately, I won't have time before holiday travel to make the vid, but hopefully I'll get to it after New Years. If you have any specific questions in the meantime, let me know!

Awesome! Can't wait for the vid, I learn better visually lol. I'm gonna start doing the first video bnb from now on (gonna try to remember at least) it feels fun to do and I get so much meter and damage! Goddamn Doom.

Also, fuck Frank and Dante BFF status, that shit belongs to Tron. Tron on point with shopping cart and then 1 touch to frank level 5 shit is insane. Even more pressure than Zero...

It's cool, I understand that developing those notes with full descriptors and reasoning took a lot of time and effort, so do take a break if you ever need to, just please don't forget about it either.
I won't, it is important to me. I wish it were worthwhile to keep updating my Dormammu guide at this point, but I hate going on SRK now.

Ghazi

So how do you multi-dash in DT in the air, now that you mention it Azure?

I've also been working on my box dash, hoping to have it down by this Saturday. Been practicing plinking as well. I can get it semi-consistently, I feel like I'm mashing it tbh, is there a way to time it better? Also, I come back after a long break from the game and I game and I can't bold cancel teleport
LLShC.gif

:)

smurfx

get some go again
wow this game is pretty much dead online. there might be activity if you're a beginner but anything more advanced is dead. i don't remember it ever being this way. this game won't survive another year online.

FSLink

Banned
wow this game is pretty much dead online. there might be activity if you're a beginner but anything more advanced is dead. i don't remember it ever being this way. this game won't survive another year online.

Not much better on PSN. :/ Sucks since I prefer player matches, and there's been times I ran into the same person like 10x in a row.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I played vanilla a bit so I knew coming in the netcode was super bad, but HOLY SHIT I forgot just how bad it is. This must be on the lowest end of what's bad, but still playable. It's crazy to me how that small handful of online warriors have gotten good and placed decent at tournaments.

smurfx

get some go again
I played vanilla a bit so I knew coming in the netcode was super bad, but HOLY SHIT I forgot just how bad it is. This must be on the lowest end of what's bad, but still playable. It's crazy to me how that small handful of online warriors have gotten good and placed decent at tournaments.
love being able to block most teleport mixups but it not mattering thanks to the shitty online.

You really think log trap is better? Both character seem to need lockdown really badly for offense.
Yeah log is much better both characters can confirm off of it and it controls a lot of space. plus both characters can protect it really well and fish off airdash up flight for free happy birthdays.

spitfire assist is really bad neutral unless you have a character that can lforce blocks like dante or wesker then use it for the mixup. the hitbox is too small and theres only two hits of blockstun and magblast isnt enough to get super mileage out of spitfire. and storm gets very little out of incoming.

log trap is just more useful. also it might be worthwhile to play magneto/rocket/xxx for the trap hyper unblockable setups.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94210969]Yeah log is much better both characters can confirm off of it and it controls a lot of space. plus both characters can protect it really well and fish off airdash up flight for free happy birthdays.

spitfire assist is really bad neutral unless you have a character that can lforce blocks like dante or wesker then use it for the mixup. the hitbox is too small and theres only two hits of blockstun and magblast isnt enough to get super mileage out of spitfire. and storm gets very little out of incoming.

log trap is just more useful. also it might be worthwhile to play magneto/rocket/xxx for the trap hyper unblockable setups.[/QUOTE]

It'd be really hard to give up hailstorm DHC, even though the unblockable set-ups would be really nice to have. I messed around with Taskmaster/Storm/RR(log trap) once for a bit- with Task on point people seemed to run into log trap quite a bit I could never get mileage out of it with Storm. Maybe I need to be more reckless- go nuts and if they try anything, they get bopped by log?

Zissou

Looks like I randomly get to meet KBR and play him tonight O_O. I should be able to record the matches (I'm gonna get bopped so hard, haha)

Zissou

Wait, what? How did this happen? And yes, record!

He's in Japan (for a few months total, if I'm not mistaken) and he's in Osaka for a bit now (where I live). A friend of mine that I play marvel with regularly has been talking to him, and he's going to take KBR around to play KoF somewhere then they're heading my way to get some marvel in. Should be interesting!

Sigmaah

I think it might be the shitty search system. I know a good amount of ppl are playing marvel online but the shitty system doesn't match you to them or some shit. I even put rank limit any and don't get results and I know a lot of people below my rank play!

FSLink

Banned
I think it might be the shitty search system. I know a good amount of ppl are playing marvel online but the shitty system doesn't match you to them or some shit. I even put rank limit any and don't get results and I know a lot of people below my rank play!

IIRC you only get people who are also searching Rank Limit: Any if you do it that way.

Blackage

Marvelo really? Can you like link to any of his matches where his Dante has been super impressive? He's been playing Nova/Doom/Strider(Disgusting synergy) lately, and I honestly never paid attention before that. I know Green Ace's Dante is impressive, and you're right about Yipes's mainly due to movement, ALTHOUGH when he beat ChrisG in grand finals wayyyyy back when he was in Summer Jam Grand Finals ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauAdTvauVM ) he was using Twister + assist in projectile war, it was an impressive display from his Dante and that entire toolset. Granted that was before Chris switched out Akuma.

Zissou

no idea you even lived in japan zissou.

Yup! It's why I can't play online against anybody on GAF (tried against Karst once, but as you can imagine- marvel netcode + people
on opposite sides of the globe = unplayable). I'd love make it to an American marvel tourney some day and meet some people. There's not too much of a marvel scene in Osaka- there's
a monthly I go to that Mamespider is usually at, but aside from him, heavy hitters are rare there. Usually I just play locally with a group of 4-5 dudes once a week. It's really nice to have offline practice on a regular basis, but it's hard to get good with such a small group.

Yup! It's why I can't play online against anybody on GAF (tried against Karst once, but as you can imagine- marvel netcode + people
on opposite sides of the globe = unplayable). I'd love make it to an American marvel tourney some day and meet some people. There's not too much of a marvel scene in Osaka- there's
a monthly I go to that Mamespider is usually at, but aside from him, heavy hitters are rare there. Usually I just play locally with a group of 4-5 dudes once a week. It's really nice to have offline practice on a regular basis, but it's hard to get good with such a small group.
Curious: do Japanese players look down on Marvel as much as everyone says they do?

Zissou

Curious: do Japanese players look down on Marvel as much as everyone says they do?

I've never heard anyone openly deride the game at any of the stuff I've been to. This might not mean much though, since marvel is all I really play at the moment- so I don't talk much with Japanese players who don't play marvel themselves.

Marvel is, more than anything, hurt by a lack of arcade release here, IMO. It's tough to find venues and organize people bringing consoles/displays etc. to them. The monthlies I go to and mixupnight are both held in bars and each player has to pay at the door to compensate the venue w/o the chance of being able to actually win money (the monthly is about $25 a time, which includes two drink tickets, haha).

Top Bottom