• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Dahbomb

Curious: do Japanese players look down on Marvel as much as everyone says they do?
The people who actually play Marvel in Japan don't hate on it as much as people say. The whole Kusoge thing started when the game first came out especially by the standard SF4 type players there. The Japanese players there who play anime game don't have much of a problem with it although they did threaten to boycott the game if TAC infinites weren't banned.

People like Nemo, Abegen and Chou generally seem to have fun and enjoy playing the game. They get upset when they lose, not at the game but at themselves which shows that they care.

Sigmaah you should add me for SSF4AE. We can scrub it out together.

I've never heard anyone openly deride the game at any of the stuff I've been to. This might not mean much though, since marvel is all I really play at the moment- so I don't talk much with Japanese players who don't play marvel themselves.

Marvel is, more than anything, hurt by a lack of arcade release here, IMO. It's tough to find venues and organize people bringing consoles/displays etc. to them. The monthlies I go to and mixupnight are both held in bars and each player has to pay at the door to compensate the venue w/o the chance of being able to actually win money (the monthly is about $25 a time, which includes two drink tickets, haha).
Yeah but Japan didn't give a shit about Marvel 2 either. I always figured that's because the Capcom side didn't have much to work with. That certainly isn't the case with 3 though. So maybe it is lack of an arcade release.

GGs beef, I didn't realize it was so late. The gf told me to go to bed lol

I realized task arrows is so damn mediocre to plasma beam but I hate playing doom.

I thought you would pick up that I was picking some mess around teams in the middle there =| I should have just messages you to go random for a bit

Edit:
Zip-towards would have worked if I remembered to call an assist!

GGs beef, I didn't realize it was so late. The gf told me to go to bed lol

I realized task arrows is so damn mediocre to plasma beam but I hate playing doom.

I thought you would pick up that I was picking some mess around teams in the middle there =| I should have just messages you to go random for a bit

Edit:
Zip-towards would have worked if I remembered to call an assist!

I almost dropped my controller when you got that airthrow with Hulk, and then Wesker's gunshot just missed and they both stood there. :lol :lol :lol

I almost dropped my controller when you got that airthrow with Hulk, and then Wesker's gunshot just missed and they both stood there. :lol :lol :lol
HA! If you couldn't tell, I've never practiced that combo, just going off visual memory.

Do you think that task/doom/akuma team could be a legit team? That was probably the only team I enjoyed using other than my main. It's like the homeless man's version of morridoom/Vergil lol

Azure J

So how do you multi-dash in DT in the air, now that you mention it Azure?

I've also been working on my box dash, hoping to have it down by this Saturday. Been practicing plinking as well. I can get it semi-consistently, I feel like I'm mashing it tbh, is there a way to time it better? Also, I come back after a long break from the game and I game and I can't bold cancel teleport
LLShC.gif

:)

Multi-dash is just plink dashing while flying. It sends Dante off like a torpedo if you get really really good at timing your inputs (otherwise get ready for a lot of Rain Storms lol), but you don't even need the fast dashing. As long as you have a good rhythm, it makes the utility of Devil Trigger shoot up exponentially, especially if you triple jump then fly versus super jumping and flying. You get access to all your assists that way and can really fuck with people on the ground.

Marvelo really? Can you like link to any of his matches where his Dante has been super impressive? He's been playing Nova/Doom/Strider(Disgusting synergy) lately, and I honestly never paid attention before that. I know Green Ace's Dante is impressive, and you're right about Yipes's mainly due to movement, ALTHOUGH when he beat ChrisG in grand finals wayyyyy back when he was in Summer Jam Grand Finals ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauAdTvauVM ) he was using Twister + assist in projectile war, it was an impressive display from his Dante and that entire toolset. Granted that was before Chris switched out Akuma.

Damn, I wish if I still kept my archive game up to date. I'll try and look up some good sets for you later.

I still want to make it happen. I'm going back to the states for Christmas for about two weeks, and once I get back from that, I'm going to see what I can do!
WOAH! Are you bringing your PS3? This could be an opportunity for us to play some boring Dr. Doom mirrors!

Zissou

WOAH! Are you bringing your PS3? This could be an opportunity for us to play some boring Dr. Doom mirrors!

I'm considering it- depends on how luggage stuff works out, but I think it will work out. Dr. Doom mirrors won't be boring if I have vajra backing me up :p

Anyway, haven't posted in here a while.

What is up?

Anyway, just saying that looking at the data from Marvel games, that Cyke, Psylocke and Gambit were most definitely on the list Marvel gave them. Since they have been in every game except for UMvC3 and the crappy kinect fighting game.

you guys ever get mad at how other people play your characters? i can't stand seeing haggars not use their command grabs. other times it's usually their crappy haggar combos.
Not really since there aren't many Magnetos to begin with. All the ones in tournaments except Ray Ray are really good.

Now Hawkeye players make me rage something serious. Flocker is a monster, but when Hawkeye isnt anchor I'm yelling at my monitor.

I feel like an old grump when it happens but yeah. I can't stand watching Dante players outside of like 3 (GreenAce, Marvelo, Yipes and Yipes is really only here because of his movement). Half of it is because I hate how no one uses most of his stuff in neutral and the other half is because I'm upset that some things haven't gone past Vanilla mentality.

Chances are if you've ever:

- Confirmed an OTG with Cold Shower over Volcano and weren't planning a reset/meter build combo
- Your neutral is entirely Air Play or boxdash j.M/H
- You do Million Dollars XFC Million Dollars when you know that second MD won't kill
- You don't use Weasel Shot
- You fly in Devil Trigger and aren't multi dashing everywhere
- You don't use Assist + Twister in durability/projectile wars
- [Kinda personal opinion more than anything] You play Dante without Strider at this point.

Then I've gone "wth" looking at it.

Damn my Dante just got put on my blast.

What are some general tips for Dante's neutral? Mainly, which normals are used for poking around. Kinda want to "really" learn Dante after my previous set with TWILT.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Anyway, haven't posted in here a while.

What is up?

Anyway, just saying that looking at the data from Marvel games, that Cyke, Psylocke and Gambit were most definitely on the list Marvel gave them. Since they have been in every game except for UMvC3 and the crappy kinect fighting game.

What list is this?

IIRC, Psylocke and Gambit were both nearly on MUA 1, and obviously Cyclops was added as DLC due to his popularity.

Gambit was on MUA2, also.

Frantic

@God's Beard: Late as fuck(got sick), but I messed around with that combo of yours, and the only real optimization I could find was after the Stinger Wallbounce, airdash out of the corner and use Sky Dance to get another Beehive ground bounce reset, then Stinger > Revolver while calling Drones. Builds a bit more meter and does a bit more damage, but not a whole lot else can be done.

you guys ever get mad at how other people play your characters? i can't stand seeing haggars not use their command grabs. other times it's usually their crappy haggar combos.
All the time! I can't say I've ever played a Dante that hasn't made me mad. Even if they're good, the underutilize so many of his tools that it just irks me. And the ones that only know how to j.S > Hammer make my blood boil for some reason or another.

Ironically, the ones that just raw teleport are the ones that make me the least angry, just because I get a kick out of mashing s.L from full screen with Trish/Strider and seeing them teleport right into it.

Yup! It's why I can't play online against anybody on GAF (tried against Karst once, but as you can imagine- marvel netcode + people on opposite sides of the globe = unplayable).
I wonder if our connection would be good. I've played a few people from Japan, and outside one, the connection was okay...ish. It was playable enough for me, but then again I might just be insane.

What list is this?

IIRC, Psylocke and Gambit were both nearly on MUA 1, and obviously Cyclops was added as DLC due to his popularity.

Gambit was on MUA2, also.

The list that Marvel gave Capcom that people like to use to blame Marvel for old faves not in the game.

The data doesn't support the claim that old faves were off the list.

LakeEarth

I think it was a smart move of Marvel to use UMvC3 to introduce some lesser known characters to people. I love characters now that I didn't know existed beforehand like Rocket Raccoon, Dormammu and Nova. It'd be a waste to put Gambit in, because (as far as I know) he isn't really all that important in the comics universe right now. His inclusion didn't benefit Marvel.

I still think it was a bad idea to make most of the Avengers tough characters to play as. You know lots of casual players went Iron Man / Thor / Spiderman on their first try and got a really bad first impression of the game.

Azure J

Damn my Dante just got put on my blast.

What are some general tips for Dante's neutral? Mainly, which normals are used for poking around. Kinda want to "really" learn Dante after my previous set with TWILT.

It's really something you have to develop over time. Dante has so many damn options that you really just have to sit down and put training weights onto yourself like "I'm going to do X right now, options Y and Z are off the table" instead of autopiloting into what works immediately. Without that reliability crutch, you start finding instances and ways to apply all of his tools in a neutral situation.

Button wise, s.L is a swat. You can anti-air with it but don't expect a combo afterwards. Don't ever think of it being anything else unless you confirmed with a j.M/H beforehand. You'll get much more mileage out of it using it combined with a dash after a j.M/H box dash attempt in order to create custom strings with assists. s.M is your anti air. It can be used for some stupid crossup shenanigans too if you can eye how its arc works. s.H is your furthest poke. It's slow as all hell but leads into Weasel Shot and as such it can be used for really nice dashing pressure strings. j.M is a good air to air poke and cancels nicely into Air Play from which you can confirm into standard Dante combos (j.H - land - s.S into stuff). j.H does similar things with more hitstun and pushback while j.M has a big vertical and horizontal hitbox and is slightly faster in startup. j.M can also cross up in disgustingly good manners.

Specials are a doozy. For example, everyone starts with Air Play. Try doing j.M xx Air Play however so that you get used to both spacing and confirming into combos. Drive is the single best horizontal projectile Dante has and thanks to how it starts up and it's profile, it can sneak you and itself under a lot of really obnoxious things like Wesker gun zoning, most Nova approaches, Bolts assist and raw teleporters. Twister is the single most unappreciated tool in his moveset. It's a gigantic hitbox with absurd durability that straight up says "nope" to most of this game's projectiles while covering an area that allows a large number of assists to come in safely. WHY. ISN'T. THIS. USED. MORE. Acid Rain is a great tool to use if someone is in the air often or to force a confrontation when someone wants to stay full screen. One thing I've been meaning to play with is a max distance Stinger poke BC'd into Acid Rain as a means to "defensively harass" someone. Crystal is probably my most used special because I am (was?) a frame trap/pressure monster. I can play that way because my team allows it with tick throw back throws + Strider assist putting people into the blender, but really, Crystal is fantastic and something I'd recommend people of any level cancel their Stinger pokes into. Jam Session is Captain Corridor that can be confirmed from if you're either good with Devil Trigger activations, or have Vajra. Call Vaj + Jam and you harass so many superjumpers/fliers in the game.

That reminds me, another reason why I started moving from Air Play while learning was to get more comfortable with staying on the ground. Dante has great air options, but you get predicable when you resort to jumping/flying away in matches. People have sorta beaten this fear into people picking up or interested in the the character that he gets fucking mauled. It's true but only if you aren't patient and good with your movement. I honestly feel like a grounded Dante is far more terrifying to deal with than one that takes to the air more often.

*I apologize in advance if this is a whole lot of nothing for you specifically though. It's just general thoughts and a few ideas I was last dabbling with in game as I haven't really played this in a long while.

All the time! I can't say I've ever played a Dante that hasn't made me mad. Even if they're good, the underutilize so many of his tools that it just irks me. And the ones that only know how to j.S > Hammer make my blood boil for some reason or another.

Ironically, the ones that just raw teleport are the ones that make me the least angry, just because I get a kick out of mashing s.L from full screen with Trish/Strider and seeing them teleport right into it.

The last time I was heavily playing Marvel, I was beginning to develop a new appreciation for s.L. While it doesn't combo into anything bar your crazy assed Beehive conversion, it's seriously the funniest "get the fuck out of the air" in the game. Swatting opposing Vajras leaves you with such a good feeling inside. :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So can someone explain the neutral game in general to someone who doesn't have much experience with air dashers? I think playing neutral is my problem at the moment. I feel like I'm either doing nothing for 20 seconds, or running into shit.

Plus, I'm still at that stage of noobdom where newbies pushing buttons > newbies who are trying to think. "OK, I need to do this and this" then I just get bopped by Ryu/Akuma/Whoever players that just jump in and push shit. Don't really have a handle on the antiair game yet. Too used to Street Fighter stuff where you have invincible moves that eat jumps for breakfast, but in this game it's less about actually having a move/button to antiair, and a lot more about just not being in a position to get approached easily in the first place, right?

Vice

So can someone explain the neutral game in general to someone who doesn't have much experience with air dashers? I think playing neutral is my problem at the moment. I feel like I'm either doing nothing for 20 seconds, or running into shit.

Plus, I'm still at that stage of noobdom where newbies pushing buttons > newbies who are trying to think. "OK, I need to do this and this" then I just get bopped by Ryu/Akuma/Whoever players that just jump in and push shit. Don't really have a handle on the antiair game yet. Too used to Street Fighter stuff where you have invincible moves that eat jumps for breakfast, but in this game it's less about actually having a move/button to antiair, and a lot more about just not being in a position to get jumped in on in the first place, right?

You want to control space and momentum. The easiest way to do this is to use assists in tandem with your specials or normals.

The best example I can think of is Dante. His air dash H and airplay control the airspace in front of him while causing the opponent to either block or try to avoid his attacks. On the ground sting canceled into weasel shot or reverb shock put pressure on grounded opponents. An assist can cover the air while Dante's on the ground or it can cover the ground while Dante's in the air.

It can also mean throwing out specials or normals to stall you opponents approach. Dante can toss out crystal to deter characters with divekicks or acid rain to scare away flyers.

You also want good movement. Movement will save you more than anything in Marvel.

Thanks Azure. I'll keep everything in mind when learning Dante. My Dante is all about box dashes and teleport+assist with j.S. I know it's the wrong thing to do but it's the only thing I know since I rarely touch him.

Solune

Can you DHC into the character that is getting hit (he is my assist)?

Nope, you can't DHC at all if you have an assist out at anytime (unlike MvC2)

Plus, I'm still at that stage of noobdom where newbies pushing buttons > newbies who are trying to think. "OK, I need to do this and this" then I just get bopped by Ryu/Akuma/Whoever players that just jump in and push shit. Don't really have a handle on the antiair game yet. Too used to Street Fighter stuff where you have invincible moves that eat jumps for breakfast, but in this game it's less about actually having a move/button to antiair, and a lot more about just not being in a position to get approached easily in the first place, right?

Assuming you're still using Wesker/Storm/Hawkeye. You really want to abuse f+H with Wesker + Hawkeye assist to zone rushdown characters. If they are midscreen or in advantageous situation your best bet is to superjump either forward and backwards and teleport to the end with the most space available. Wesker's best anti-air is undoubtedly his standing S but in general I find it more safe to simply dash under and punish with cr.M > etc. The other way to anti-air is to go for OS air throw as Dahbomb was explaining before. Jump at them with j.H while holding downback if you hit, hitconfirm into delayed j.S > s.[L]MH qcf.M > etc. If they block you SHOULD get an airthrow but if you don't just continue your blockstring.

Really as long as your opponent doesn't have a beam assist, you should be able to teleport around with Hawkeye assist to open someone up. Remember that you can't call assists during a special move so it should be (Call Hawkeye) Teleport L or H then > whatever your basic string is.

Dahbomb

You are playing with Storm right? Your neutral with Storm is a lot of air dashing around, Floating (hold up), fly cancel and then air dash around some more and then come down with j.S as that's her best air to ground normal. You can also use stuff like Lightning Sphere to control space but the move is not that good, use it sparingly. You don't want the opponent to be directly below you, you need to do some air juking to reposition yourself then come down when they aren't directly below you because otherwise it would lead into an ambiguous situation. You can also use Whirlwinds sparingly.

You also want to call your Hawkeye assist while doing normal jump. It's very important to know that you cannot call an assist during a super jump, only during normal jump however there is a way to call assists with air dashers while at around super jump height. You do a normal jump up, air dash up back, fly cancel, do more air dashes and then call assist when it's the best situation for you. Learn to do tri jumps as well (super jump immediately into an air dash forward/back with a normal) to have better rushdown and mix ups.

If you are playing Storm, st.S is a great anti air. However, you don't want to just stand there waiting for people to jump in on you. You need to anticipate the jump in, dash back and then do an aggressive tri jump to counter. This is the equivalent of the "Marvel footsies" which is to say they whiff their jump in and you punish with your tri dash. It's not a punish in the most strict sense but you have supreme advantage over them in this situation and advantage in this game leads to mix ups which opens them up for damage.

With Wesker you need to be zoning with your Samurai Edge shot a lot. Lots of up back into gun shots, super jump shot into teleport down, gun shot + arrow assist into teleport. The damage from the Samurai Edge shots adds up a lot over time even on block. Basically you want to combine your Arrow assist to cover the horizontal space while you jump around and try to snipe them from the air with your gun shot. If the Arrow hits you dash in for a poke, confirm or a command throw/cr.L mix up.

In general, you do not want to mess with the hit boxes in this game. Where ever you think a move is going to hit... be at least one or two characters spaces away from it to be safe. It is very common for players to be playing "footsies" from full screen away especially when it's two high mobility characters.. I guess it's more accurate to say that the hurt boxes are crazy in this game because characters have their hurt boxes extending way out of their bodies.

Solune

If anyone wants to play on PSN, I will be on P4A but I will stop to play some Mahvel

*note have not played Marvel since Canada Cup so I suck.

PSN: Sollune

Frantic

next time we play ft10, you have to pick nova/spencer/taskmaster. i'll pick joe/frank/ryu.
That gives me an idea of 'play your opponent's team' tournament. Would be kinda interesting, I think... unless it took place in NorCal.

The last time I was heavily playing Marvel, I was beginning to develop a new appreciation for s.L. While it doesn't combo into anything bar your crazy assed Beehive conversion, it's seriously the funniest "get the fuck out of the air" in the game. Swatting opposing Vajras leaves you with such a good feeling inside. :lol
I actually landed s.L > Beehive on a Haggar doing Pipe the other day. I felt myself so hard after that. Additionally, have been trying to wire cr.L > s.L > s.M into my brain against characters on wake up/as they land to beat upbackers. If cr.L whiffs, s.L still comes out and if they weren't blocking/pushing something, I'd get a combo(since they're low enough for s.M to hit).

Dante's s.L is still a good button. People should use it more.

I just realized, does this include me? :lol
Nah, I was mainly talking about randoms. When I played you, I generally paid more attention to what you should be doing so I could give you advice afterward.

I did get salty a few times when I got hit by pushblock > Reverb Shock, though!
I do that sometimes nowaday, if I think it'll hit. >_> I've learned to stop caring and embrace the "Just Do It" in me. It's not like the pros don't do it sometimes, too!

Zissou

Where in the USA are you?

Minnesota- you're in Colorado, no? (IIRC)

I wonder if our connection would be good. I've played a few people from Japan, and outside one, the connection was okay...ish. It was playable enough for me, but then again I might just be insane.

I'm always willing to give it a shot! I'm back in the states for about two weeks for the holidays (still debating whether to bring my PS3), so any time after that will be cool. Are you on PS3 or 360?

Frantic

I'm always willing to give it a shot! I'm back in the states for about two weeks for the holidays (still debating whether to bring my PS3), so any time after that will be cool. Are you on PS3 or 360?
360. When you get back, we can see about arranging a match. You do have both, right? Or am I misremembering?

Top Bottom