• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow is going to be very interesting to say the least.

I want Drake's Deception to score higher than UC2, but the realist in me knows that this simply won't happen. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, I think a lot of people will be disappointed/outraged/meltdown.

nib95 said:
Ehhh I call BS on that. Those games don't have puzzles, stealth, platforming (all three of which factor in to the gunplay or battles too unlike the shooters in question) etc. Add to that the level design, AI, level diversity, characters, VA, narrative, character development etc are an order of magnitude better. To me it's laughable even comparing a charming, dynamic, spectacular adventure game like Uncharted 3 to a more typically dudebro shooter like COD or BF3.

I'll enjoy all 3, but U3 is in a different league. If you have to compare in terms of quality, Zelda, Arkham City or Skyrim might be more apt.
Well I don't mean uncharted campaign is in the same level acod/battlefield campaign. I mean it as the game structure. After you beat this campaign once, you've seen everything the campaign has to offer, I've beaten uncharted sp campaign 4 times for trophy hunting and because the campaign is damn good, but the experience for my second playthrough is mostly the same. Compared to like other game that have new game plus or branching path or character customization where it add or offer something new for your second playthrough, it add more content for your games.

jett

D-Member
LowEndTorque said:
Tomorrow is going to be very interesting to say the least.

I want Drake's Deception to score higher than UC2, but the realist in me knows that this simply won't happen. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, I think a lot of people will be disappointed/outraged/meltdown.
Disappointed, outraged and meltdowned because of the high scores, more like

Vire

nib95 said:
Ehhh I call BS on that. Those games don't have puzzles, stealth, platforming (all three of which factor in to the gunplay or battles too unlike the shooters in question) etc. Add to that the level design, AI, level diversity, characters, VA, narrative, character development etc are an order of magnitude better. To me it's laughable even comparing a charming, dynamic, spectacular adventure game like Uncharted 3 to a more typically dudebro shooter like COD or BF3.

I'll enjoy all 3, but U3 is in a different league. If you have to compare in terms of quality, Zelda, Arkham City or Skyrim might be more apt.
Uhh, I wouldn't list stealth as one of Uncharted's positives. The way the previous games handled it was very poor.

hullostranger said:
I think it looks much better, the improvements in lighting/shadows alone make it look much better. Throw in bigger set pieces and improved character animation, well yeah.
Do you even remember how much Uncharted 2 looked than DF?
It had :

- Much greater variety in level design.
- Locked 30 FPS vs. fluctuating framerate in DF.
- No tearing whatsoever compared with DF which teared frequently.
- SSAO.
- Much better textures.
- Much better character models.

Really, it was night and day. Compare the Nepal levels, Urban Warfare level or the train level with anyting from DF. It's a huge, huge upgrade. Uncharted 3 is better than Uncharted 2, that's for sure, but it looks like it's optimized Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 was almost a reinvention.

jett

D-Member
Framerate in Uncharted 2 isn't locked at all, and about "much better texture quality", that's certainly debatable.

usVOz.jpg

You're putting down UC1 just to make your argument seem better.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Vire said:
Uhh, I wouldn't list stealth as one of Uncharted's positives. The way the previous games handled it was very poor.

I loved it in Uncharted 2. Aside from the museum level, it was always optional, which is how it should be in a game like Uncharted. I found it pretty satisfying to systematically eliminate an area full of baddies by snapping their necks one by one. The stealth was a bit simplistic, but I think it worked well.

Lagspike_exe said:
Do you even remember how much Uncharted 2 looked than DF?
It had :

- Much greater variety in level design.
- Locked 30 FPS vs. fluctuating framerate in DF.
- No tearing whatsoever compared with DF which teared frequently.
- SSAO.
- Much better textures.
- Much better character models.

Really, it was night and day. Compare the Nepal levels, Urban Warfare level or the train level with anyting from DF. It's a huge, huge upgrade. Uncharted 3 is better than Uncharted 2, that's for sure, but it looks like it's optimized Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 was almost a reinvention.

I think that U1 has better textures than U2, less variateds but betters. Same as some enemy character models

jett

D-Member
Snuggler said:
I loved it in Uncharted 2. Aside from the museum level, it was always optional, which is how it should be in a game like Uncharted. I found it pretty satisfying to systematically eliminate an area full of baddies by snapping their necks one by one.

Agreed 100%, I hope they've expanded it in UC3. ND has said absolutely nothing about it regarding UC3.

jett said:
Framerate in Uncharted 2 isn't locked at all, and about "much better texture quality", that's certainly debatable.

usVOz.jpg

You're putting down UC1 just to make your argument seem better.
Quality of textures, on average, was much higher in Uncharted 2 than it was in DF. I can post pics of great textures of any game, doesn't mean than they're great in the entire game. Uncharted 2 textures were conistently awesome.

Sweet I'm unbanned, sorry for being an ass mods :p

And UC1 is probably the texture king on PS3. Agreed about everything else though, artistically UC2 is better most of the time.

jett

D-Member
Lagspike_exe said:
Quality of textures, on average, was much higher in Uncharted 2 than it was in DF. I can post pics of great textures of any game, doesn't mean than they're great in the entire game. Uncharted 2 textures were conistently awesome.

Yes, because UDF is known for its uneven texture quality.

Wait wait. Stop re-writing history.

jett said:
Yes, because UDF is known for its uneven texture quality.

Wait wait. Stop re-writing history.
Are you actually claiming that DF has textures of the quality you just posted through out the entire game? Are you serious?

jett

D-Member
Lagspike_exe said:
Are you actually claiming that DF has textures of the quality you just posted through out the entire game? Are you serious?

UC1 has great texture quality throughout the entire game, why wouldn't I be serious? If anything Uncharted 2 is more uneven, the textures in Shambala are pretty bad compared to the rest of the game, or the overall visual quality in the museum. Not to mention the multiplayer which looks downright terrible compared to UC3's multiplayer graphics.

I'm a huge Uncharted fan and while UC2 obviously looks better overall, the textures in UC1 are much better throughout, even though as someone had said UC2 has more variety.

That said, I'd rather have UC2's textures and smooth framerate with no tearing than UC1's tearing and fps drops.

Loudninja

jett said:
UC1 has great texture quality throughout the entire game, why wouldn't I be serious? If anything Uncharted 2 is more uneven, the textures in Shambala are pretty bad compared to the rest of the game, or the overall visual quality in the museum. Not to mention the multiplayer which looks downright terrible compared to UC3's multiplayer graphics.
I really cant agree with this, nothing in UC2 is uneven.

jett said:
Reading comperhension fail. Uncharted DF doesn't have nearly as good textures as you just posted through out it's levels. It's a great game for selective photo shooting, on the other hand, some of the textures are a work of art. But, overall, Uncharted 2 is a lot better. You'll find awesome texturing workout in every single level except maybe the first 2.

snap0212

Just pre-ordered the game. Amazon offered me a the new official headset as well as some pre-order code for free. Nice deal. I'm pretty hyped and have been on media blackout since E3... can't wait!

snap0212 said:
Just pre-ordered the game. Amazon offered me a the new official headset as well as some pre-order code for free. Nice deal. I'm pretty hyped and have been on media blackout since E3... can't wait!

That's not an Amazon US deal is it? Didn't see anything about a headset

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Embargo is not ending in the morning. It ends at 5:00 pm est.

Aside from the what excites me the most is the second half of the game especially after reading that uncharted timeline article on 1up. Apparently the second half of the game cranks every ounce of power from the cell until it nearly crashes the system. In the build before GM it produces horrible bugs in older ps3's. I want to know what the hell happens in the second part of that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom