• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
MoonslautSlayer: I'm pretty sure he's just calling us clowns. :p

EloquentM said:
Embargo is not ending in the morning. It ends at 5:00 pm est.

Aside from the what excites me the most is the second half of the game especially after reading that uncharted timeline article on 1up. Apparently the second half of the game cranks every ounce of power from the cell until it nearly crashes the system. In the build before GM it produces horrible bugs in older ps3's. I want to know what the hell happens in the second part of that game.

Uh, they explained it already. It's an error in the streaming system that makes the hard drives in old PS3s fragment like crazy. It was fixed without much fuss.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
jett said:
MoonslautSlayer: I'm pretty sure he's just calling us clowns. :p

Uh, they explained it already. It's an error in the streaming system that makes the hard drives in old PS3s fragment like crazy. It was fixed without much fuss.
So it wasn't due to pushing the system necessarily? It was just an unoptimized piece of coding?

jett

D-Member
EloquentM said:
So it wasn't due to pushing the system necessarily? It was just an unoptimized piece of coding?

They simply neglected old PS3s because they only have newer models in their offices. It was problem with data streaming. Maybe they were doing something ZOMG TOTALLY CRAZAAAY with streaming at that point, but it doesn't seem like that much of a deal to me. :p

jett

D-Member
Loudninja said:
Playing though UC1 again, and it still looks really good. :)

Of course it does, still one of the best looking games on the system. Wish it didn't make my BD drive sound like its cutting itself. :p

Loudninja

jett said:
Of course it does, still one of the best looking games on the system. Wish it didn't make my BD drive sound like its cutting itself. :p
Haha yeah I notice that.

One thing that hit me though is how weak the guns sound now compare to U3 lol.

iNvid02

i fucking despise the blu ray disc sound, la noire was the worst for that shit.

someone needs to make a breathable, but sound proof case to put the ps3 in

jett

D-Member
Loudninja said:
Haha yeah I notice that.

One thing that hit me though is how weak the guns sound now compare to U3 lol.

Oh you should be noticing all kinds of crap in Uncharted 1 that has been improved. :p The aiming camera angle is weird just for the sake of being different from GeoW(rectified in UC2/3), taking cover is just plain unsatisfying(instead of snapping to cover when you're near one Drake will walk over there automatically and crouch lolz), taking cover itself is more limited(you can't slide from one side to the next), controls are a bit unresponsive, the animation blending isn't as smooth. It's really a lot more than just graphics that got improved in UC2. UC3 has its fair share of gameplay improvements too like the ability to throw back grenades, and the revamped melee combat which just looks awesome, and other stuff I've seen that might be spoilerish. And of course many, MANY more contextual animations. In the animation front everything I've seen of UC3 completely blows away UC2.

snap0212

iNvidious01 said:

It's pretty scary.

When my Xbox is incredibly loud (I have the old one): Ah, it's always like that.
When my PS3 is loud: Farewell, my love.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hahaha, I just started my Uncharted replay to marathon the two before Uncharted 3, and was about to comment on how audible the drive is. Thankfully I'm wearing headphones so I'm not bothered by the sound.

I haven't played Drake's Fortune since Uncharted 2, and going back I'm reminded of the rough corners and how much more polished the latter game is. I can't say I'm gaga over Drake's Fortune at all, to be honest. It's fun, but really shows how much room for improvement and better design there was once Uncharted 2 came around.

jett

D-Member
iNvidious01 said:

It's like a saw cutting the PS3 in half, isn't it. :p Nothing's gonna help with that, and the slims' drives are even louder than the phat's. :/

Loudninja

jett said:
Oh you should be noticing all kinds of crap in Uncharted 1 that has been improved. :p The aiming camera angle is weird just for the sake of being different from GeoW(rectified in UC2/3), taking cover is just plain unsatisfying(instead of snapping to cover when you're near one Drake will walk over there automatically and crouch lolz), taking cover itself is more limited(you can't slide from one side to the next), controls are a bit unresponsive, the animation blending isn't as smooth. It's really a lot more than just graphics that got improved in UC2. UC3 has its fair share of gameplay improvements too like the ability to throw back grenades, and the revamped melee combat which just looks awesome, and other stuff I've seen that might be spoilerish. And of course many, MANY more contextual animations. In the animation front everything I've seen of UC3 completely blows away UC2.
Yes!I agree completely.

I am really excited for U3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:
It's like a saw cutting the PS3 in half, isn't it. :p Nothing's gonna help with that, and the slims' drives are even louder than the phat's. :/
I get so nervous when my Slim is making a lot of noise. I've had two phat's blu-ray drives die on me so I keep thinking the Slim is about to go even though it's only a few months old. My headphones are arriving either tomorrow or Tuesday so hopefully that helps.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EatChildren said:
Hahaha, I just started my Uncharted replay to marathon the two before Uncharted 3, and was about to comment on how audible the drive is. Thankfully I'm wearing headphones so I'm not bothered by the sound.

Uncharted 2 gets my PS3 really hot and loud, too. The cats like to lay on the console when I'm playing it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jett said:
Framerate in Uncharted 2 isn't locked at all, and about "much better texture quality", that's certainly debatable.

You're putting down UC1 just to make your argument seem better.
The single player framerate in UC2 is, for all intents and purposes, locked at 30 fps. Slowdown is EXTREMELY uncommon and there isn't one torn frame throughout.

Drake's Fortune, on the other hand, slowed down pretty regularly and suffered from egregious tearing.

The textures in DF could be quite sharp, but it was also somewhat uneven while Uncharted 2 was generally very consistent and featured a greater variety of textures throughout.

Still, I would love to have had Drake's Fortune patched up with some of the improvements of the second and third game. Implement triple buffering, add-in per object motion blur, add some SSAO, improve the image quality and smooth out the performance. Those simple changes would make a world of difference.

I prefer uncharted one. It had a more mysterious vibe to it that was lacking in the sequel.

Uncharted 2 felt more like an action movie.

Graphically speaking though. Uncharted 2 smokes the first one.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
The single player framerate in UC2 is, for all intents and purposes, locked at 30 fps. Slowdown is EXTREMELY uncommon and there isn't one torn frame throughout.

Drake's Fortune, on the other hand, slowed down pretty regularly and suffered from egregious tearing.

The textures in DF could be quite sharp, but it was also somewhat uneven while Uncharted 2 was generally very consistent and featured a greater variety of textures throughout.

I dunno, there are several places where I noticed a sharp drop tin the framerate, the beginning of "Desperate Times" with the room filled lots of crap looks like it runs below 20fps, and there a few moments in the Sanctuary areas that it drops to the 20s too. I wouldn't call it locked. But yeah much better than UC1 and it doesn't torn at least.

Pat

Uncharted 2 was a bit too much linear. If they can put more exploration into the third like they did in the first one, I would be happy.

But still, it's going to be an awesome experience nonetheless. Especially for a rent.

Yeah, playing one again has me missing the amount of jump platforming that is missing in 2. Seems to have more areas that require me to jump on and from many structures to reach new areas. 2 had more ledge hanging style platforming.

I sure hope that the soundtrack is as good as Uncharted 2's and not just a bunch of typical moaning-woman singing that you hear in everything with a kind of desert/Middle Eastern setting.

brandonh83 said:
I sure hope that the soundtrack is as good as Uncharted 2's and not just a bunch of typical moaning-woman singing that you hear in everything with a kind of desert/Middle Eastern setting.

Did you hear the music in the Subway promotion? It's much better than the music found in U2.

SolidSnakex said:
Did you hear the music in the Subway promotion? It's much better than the music found in U2.

I did, and it was good, but I'm talking about stuff like... stuff that we haven't heard yet, music that will appear later in the game. Uncharted 2's music particularly during the Monastery segments was fucking amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NFMchVBokU

Like 1:55 into this track, I'd be shocked if Uncharted 3 has anything better than that.

Meisadragon said:
Everybody should do that :(

I just finished up both my playthroughs pretty much back to back.

Playing through UC1 again makes me want a really good exploration adventure. The U-boat part I can play over and over and wish there was more like it.

Grisby

brandonh83 said:
The music in MP is great man. I was retty suprised at how pumped I was getting during matches.

Grisby said:
The music in MP is great man. I was retty suprised at how pumped I was getting during matches.

It was great, I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that it's as good as some of the amazing stuff on the Uncharted 2 score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom