• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

Amy gets a massive shoutout in the credits which was nice to see, I'm struggling to convey my point whilst keeping clean.

It has amazing moments with jaw dropping crazy.

It's alright, it's natural some won't like some of the changes that were made, that might want the more traditional Uncharted, their opinion is valid as well.

I think it's going to review very well, most critics did want to see some changes, I think that if it was just another entry with the same formula only prettier it would be heavily criticized by most.

Skeeter49

I think most set pieces are just going to play around with the scale more, that'll probably be the big take away from the Uncharted set pieces, and they'll probably be more grounded.

If they fit in the context of the story more, they can have more weight to them. I love the bombastic set pieces in Uncharted, but only a few I felt had actual weight to them, where I was engaged with Drake as a character, and the people he's with making it through the encounter.

I wonder what kind of game we would have gotten if they asked "how can we expand on 3 and learn from it's shortcomings?" without the Last of Us being a factor...

I think at the core of it, one has got to accept that that's one of Neil Druckmann's creative lense looking at the Uncharted series.

Paraphrasing here, but he did say something along the lines about how he's exploring set-pieces in UC4 laterally, being better integrated with story, depth of emotion, etc. Those are his creative gears going into UC4 set-pieces, and less so how to crank it up more than UC3 because he feels like if it escalates proportionally to how 3 does it, he feels like it's almost entering parody territory.

Another creative director could easily had made a different decision and said "let's go full crazy" and it would not had been a wrong or right decision, but just a different one.

Loudninja

It's alright, it's natural some won't like some of the changes that were made, that might want the more traditional Uncharted, their opinion is valid as well.

I think it's going to review very well, most critics did want to see some changes, I think that if it was just another entry with the same formula only prettier it would be heavily criticized by most.

Eh I am not seeing how this is a a less traditional Uncharted.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know what's funny? It looks like the multiplayer is more "Uncharted" than the single player.
How does it look like anything? An extremely limited number of people are looking at anything.

Did I fall through a wormhole

Why is it that people always look for outliers to embody their "fears"? Is this going to be the new way we discuss prerelease games now? Like how I had to read 40 pages of people wondering if ratchet and clank would be 5 hours long?

silva1991

So how terrible was the single player? Was it so terrible that you were mashing the multiplayer option, hoping to get it to work to get your mind off the atrocious single player?

image.php

SP at worst>>>>>>>>>>>>MP

One of the most major criticisms I can give it is the lack of crazy cinematic moments (like the cargo train/plane) and the fact that right until the end it tries to stick to a more realistic vibe

The "lack of crazy cinematic moments" and the "more realistic vibe" don't make the campaign any less exciting. Even with this changes, U4 still feels an Uncharted.

By pretending it never happened?

The pacing is aweful (compared to U2), but U3 is a great game.

Gurish

Eh I am not seeing how this is a a less traditional Uncharted.

There is a change in tone.

Story seems to have more focus than before.

Much more exploration and quiet moments.

Not as heavy on combat. (according to the mixed reddit impression)

More lore (notes, optional conversation etc)

Set pieces are not as "bombastics".

Considering what I've played from the beta and seen from the demos (PSX and Madagascar in particular), the mere implication of UC3 being a better game is an instant opinion discarded for me. MP beta showed it's an improvement in every single gameplay aspect over even UC2, and UC3 was kind of a downgrade from it (aside from gun sounds).

How does it look like anything? An extremely limited number of people are looking at anything.

Did I fall through a wormhole

Why is it that people always look for outliers to embody their "fears"? Is this going to be the new way we discuss prerelease games now? Like how I had to read 40 pages of people wondering if ratchet and clank would be 5 hours long?

Holy shit this is the post I needed. It pretty much summarises concern trolling at its finest.

Granted, I'm sure they dude is just joking considering his posts on this thread, but speaking generally, this is pretty much every IGN comment section or some GAF threads when it's GAF thread about exclusives.

Loris146

I certainly found it at least on par with the other two. I found the story/villains to be more intriguing than bald muscle man. Gameplay wise, eh. Some pacing issues, but still good.

Melee was not good , it had aiming issues and ,in my opinion, too many "linear set pieces" (
Young drake section , desert level etc
).

A concern I had as well. Videogames are escapism and Uncharted was intentionally built on pulpy adventures. To hear this is not at all surprising. I'm sure the game is good, but after the main titles music being missing and now this, I'm starting to think it'll be my least favorite. It just seems to be missing some of the elements I love about the series.

Seriously, one post and now it's probably your least favourite, seems a bit irrational? What are these elements that are missing? I mean you haven't played the game, so you have no base to forego a conclusion except via some random poster on the internet whom has a subjective opinion compared to you and everyone else, and a tune? Everyone is different and their opinion of Uncharted's grand setpieces will probably be different. Thing is have you seen the story trailer, did you avoid Sam's pursuit gameplay on a blackout? Because so far from what I've seen it has all the elements of a Uncharted game, including the setpieces the series is known for and a missing track during a start menu won't conflict with that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That first quote was just messing around and me being frustrated at the lack of multiplayer news. Hopefully tomorrow is a good day.

And the second quote? Why are you ignoring the three incredible impressions that all say is as good if not better than TLOU and opting to believe an impression that isn't exactly negative? It seems you don't want to like the game and for me that's a thread destroyer and something I've seen far too often.

Not that this thread can be made any worse.

Seriously, one post and now it's probably your least favourite? Talk about irrational thought. What are these elements that are missing?

If you read my post you would have seen that I'm still excited for the game and I'm going to make up my own mind. I'm not a fan of them taking out the music on the title screen, and by extension what the guy said about the setpieces sorta makes sense. I like for these things to be over the top, it's the foundation the series was built on.

I'm voicing concerns. Nothing more. I could completely fucking disagree with this stuff that has me a little on edge when I play it for myself.

bigol

There is a change in tone.

Story seems to have more focus than before.

Much more exploration and quiet moments.

Not as heavy on combat. (according to the mixed reddit impression)

More lore (notes, optional conversation etc)

Set pieces are not as "bombastics".

You are describing a much more interesting game to me. I like that there is more exploration and quiet moments compared to combat heavy games. More lore is also great as it is a much more story focused experience.

Perhaps you should try screaming into a pillow. I have heard it is therapeutic.

Are you talking to me? I'm perfectly calm. :p Somehow people are taking my concerns, which may have no foundation-- just going by what I've heard so far-- and think I'm a monster or something because I'm not shitting the bed over the next Uncharted game just yet.

It's probably a good thing in the long run that my hype is actually in check.

AKyemeni

And the second quote? Why are you ignoring the three incredible impressions that all say is as good if not better than TLOU and opting to believe an impression that isn't exactly negative? It seems you don't want to like the game and for me that's a thread destroyer and something I've seen far too often.

I'm not denying it will be good. It just feels like it has too much TLOU for my liking, which all the impressions give out.

I'll still enjoy the game, most likely.

zsynqx

Are you talking to me? I'm perfectly calm. :p Somehow people are taking my concerns, which may have no foundation-- just going by what I've heard so far-- and think I'm a monster or something because I'm not shitting the bed over the next Uncharted game just yet.

It's probably a good thing in the long run that my hype is actually in check.

Every other impression said it's the best Uncharted, yet you are fixated on this one.

nib95

Banned
Every other impression said it's the best Uncharted, yet you are fixated on this one.

I always find it weird how people tunnel vision towards an outlier opinion. Nothing unique to Uncharted mind, happens with so many games, in so many threads.

_Ryo_

A few questions.

Is there a dialouge system in this game, with a dialogue tree?
If so does each choice garner a different response?
Do your choices in conversation impact the story in any way?

Could someone post their general impressions of the dialogue system if there is one?

I like for these things to be over the top, it's the foundation the series was built on.

But everything we've seen from the game has been 10x more over the top than the entirety of Drake's Fortune, which is the actual foundation the series was built on.

Hell the one set-piece we have seen is way crazier than the jeep/caravan set piece equivalents from 2 and 3.

Gurish

We have more than 3 amazing impressions, I lost count exactly but at least 6 or 7 guys said it's the best in the series, some thought it's better than TLOU, another dude thought TLOU is still the king, but all said it's incredible and the best in series.

Other guys that talked to journalists said the are full of praising, Shinobi said that based on his talks with them he expects this to be the highest ranking game this gen so far.

Only one guy think it's great and as quality as any ND game but he likes U2 and 3 more, "OMG I knew it! where is Amy?! :(", lol internet is funny :)

Skele7on

Banned
A few questions.

Is there a dialouge system in this game, with a dialogue tree?
If so does each choice garner a different response?
Do your choices in conversation impact the story in any way?

Could someone post their general impressions of the dialogue system if there is one?

There are dialogue trees

I did make a note of choices, so will try different ones

Ultimately I don't know yet

Once it out and been played by all I want a tag that says "skele7on was right"
Just curious since you finished the game. Is the scene from the first 60fps teaser still in of drake getting up off the ground? According to Corrine yu it was a real scene from a real gameplay level. Thanks
Edit: I know the level is still in, I'm just wondering about the cinematic.

And is it a disaster if Uncharted 4 is not better than TLOU ?

If we trust you there are only 2 possibilites : it's the best game ever or it's a disappointment

If you read my post you would have seen that I'm still excited for the game and I'm going to make up my own mind. I'm not a fan of them taking out the music on the title screen, and by extension what the guy said about the setpieces sorta makes sense. I like for these things to be over the top, it's the foundation the series was built on.

I'm voicing concerns. Nothing more. I could completely fucking disagree with this stuff that has me a little on edge when I play it for myself.

Truth is after UC3 how much more over the top could they go .
They done everything but bring a city or mountain down on you lol .
I still expect the set pieces to be good but different than all out crazy .

I think some people just read what they want to read sometimes.

I definitely want to read something that may concern me, because that makes sense.

I'm not fixated on that one impression. It's one impression. I'm aware of the other impressions and people saying "don't worry." Like I said on the last page, I could end up totally disagreeing and thinking it has the best setpieces in the series.

Truth is after UC3 how much more over the top could they go .
They done everything but bring a city or mountain down on you lol .
I still expect the set pieces to be good but different than all out crazy .

They did bring a city down around you at the end of 3! Yeah if the set-pieces got any larger in scale they'd become silly honestly. The cruise ship was already pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom