• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Got a PS4 with this yesterday, starting it up now... I already cleared the games on Crushing years ago, though. Why can't you start on Brutal first playthrough?

FranXico

got platinum on all 3 games in 5 days :) i love naughty dog so much

Did you play Brutal difficulty? Is it still possible to cheese our way through some bits like in the other ones?

Is the new harder difficulty available from the start?

Brutal is unlocked after the first playthrough. Note that unlike the PS3 versions, Crushing is unlocked from start. Also, you do not need a Brutal playthrough for the platinum.

idonteven

Did you play Brutal difficulty? Is it still possible to cheese our way through some bits like in the other ones?

Brutal is unlocked after the first playthrough. Note that unlike the PS3 versions, Crushing is unlocked from start. Also, you do not need a Brutal playthrough for the platinum.

im gonna try to play it on brutality but i think im not gonna be able to complete it

Man, some of the encounters in the first Uncharted are so frustrating.

Having AIs rush you in an environment designed to facilitate ONE correct way to do it while sticking to corners trying to roll away is not fun. Especially when you put it on a harder difficulty.

The second game was a bit easier with a less aggressive AI, better balanced environment and tighter controls.

If I remember correctly, the third game bought back the aggressive AI and it made it so frustrating sometimes that I had to play with the spawn triggers and the restriction of movements of the enemies to pass certain areas.

But it really is a great experience playing those games back to back to see the evolution of the Uncharted formula. Especially how they used QTEs in the first one where it's pretty jarring how they don't fit and break some of the momentum for certain scenes.

Loudninja

Played the first two chapters of Uncharted 1 and blown away how good this looks, nearly on par with 2 now. Like, I know they updated Drake's model to match the later games but I was not expecting the textures to be so sharp. It even looks like they possibly added foliage and bumped up polygon count in parts?
They did Digital Foundry mention it.

Vaga

Man this collection is goat, aside from the emotional rollercoaster ride down the memory lane the graphical improvements are amazing. Finished U1 and while still much improved from vanilla can't help but notice how huge the visual leap is from Drake's Fortune to Among Thieves, it's mind blowing in most scenes you can barely tell it's a remaster and not a native PS4 game. Can't wait to dive into U3 as even that one looked better than 2, makes me moist just thinking about that sand in 1080p 60fps.

IndustryX

Playing through Drakes Fortune again for the second time. First play through was on release back in 07, wow they did a wonderful job here! The graphics are wonderful and the game is so smooth. So many feels coming back, i feel like the first title is actually a very under rated part of the series. Going through on Crushing in efforts to platinum.

Can't wait to play through 2 and 3 as well.

Are certain areas in uncharted 1 obnoxiously loud for anyone else? The part where
nate and sully exit the temple
has this super loud piercing type noise and the area where
drake finds the part of the plane
has this running water sound that is literally 3x as loud as anything else to the point where i had to crank the volume down to barely anything until I left the area.

IndustryX

I decided to get this over the new AC game coming out in a couple weeks. Hope I made the right choice.

That's not even a question. One of the fest franchises of all time, or what will probably be a glitchy mess that you will be able to get for $40 on Black Friday/Boxing Day.

Good choice, enjoy Drakes adventure :)

Late Flag

Are certain areas in uncharted 1 obnoxiously loud for anyone else? The part where
has this running water sound that is literally 3x as loud as anything else to the point where i had to crank the volume down to barely anything until I left the area.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in either of the areas you mentioned. Sorry.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm thoroughly impressed with how great UC1 looks remastered. Bringing back those good memories.
Parts of that game look great today even on PS3. When you get to sections where the rocks and the various greenery is intermixed, and when you notice how non-repetitive and organically arranged it all looks. Still very impressive.

The part in the demo aged very bad, in my opinion.
All the previous Nepal areas, instead, are still amazing
Yeah, I was saying that. It's not the most representative part of the game at all. Not among the best looking or the best playing parts.

cyba89

Especially how they used QTEs in the first one where it's pretty jarring how they don't fit and break some of the momentum for certain scenes.

Yeah. I think I missed every possible QTE in the game at least once. There are so few of them so you never really expect a QTE. They are so inconsequent and I don't even know why they are in.

antitrop

After all these years I still can't get the brutal combos in UC1 to come out consistently ;_;
Ya, I had trouble with them, too. You really have to space out the button presses, if you do them too quickly it won't go. It's like Square, short pause, triangle, short pause, square.

250 headshots glitched on me :(

in stats i have 254 and no trophy :(

It was glitched for me the other way around. The trophy popped when I had like 150 Headshots.

antitrop

My stats show 154 enemies killed without dying, and I got no survivor trophy.

If you want to try it again, may I suggest Chapter
? It's pretty easy to get 75 in a row on that chapter alone, especially if you put it on Easy.

EDIT: Assuming you're talking about Uncharted 1.

Started Uncharted on crushing today and I just reached Chapter 16.
That's when I remembered how much I hated Chapter 16.

I expected crushing to be more frustrating, coming in cold, but besides a few bullshit fights, it's not that hard so far.

Revven

OK yeah the jetski parts are much shorter than I remember. I think the first time through those parts you take your time so it feels longer but they're actually incredibly short despite how terrible they are. The second jetski section literally is just blindfire with Elena and just hold R2 (or whatever your accelerate button is) and rush through it. I could totally see Brutal being possible on it as I only got hit once doing the above (I did die once before that but that was due to Elena's blindfire missing the barrels).

And yes, the blindfire does shoot the explosive barrels so just go ham on that button through the entire section.

And with that, I'm now on Chapter... 18? 17? The Bunker. Had to stop because I needed a break and to be honest, the next chapters are the least fun to play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you want to try it again, may I suggest Chapter
? It's pretty easy to get 75 in a row on that chapter alone, especially if you put it on Easy.

EDIT: Assuming you're talking about Uncharted 1.

But chapter mode says it doesn't record progression, or medals etc. Is that wrong? I'd much rather pop into specific chapters for some trophy tidying up

Illucio

Banned
Finally finished Uncharted 1, started and played a little of Uncharted 2.
SO MUCH FREAKING BETTER. OMG.

Stealth is an actual thing, the train, museum heist, dart guns, oh and AI partners that actually do shit. Oh and less enemies coming at you at once.

Oh and the platforming is 1000 times better. This game is already 10% the way through and it makes Drake's Fortune look like shit in comparison.

Plasma

Banned
Wait. Did they change Elena's face for UC2? Like, specifically for this remaster?

Looks different from what I remember it being.

Yeah I think they've made it look more like the one from UC3 to make it look more consistent, honestly I liked the UC2 one more.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Subbing.

According to my save file, I'm 32% through UC1. Enjoying it as I did the first two times I played it on the PS3. Kind of amused at how much I remember the lines of dialogue. Also brings back memories of how much I had to learn to enjoy the game when I first got the demo. Halcyon days, and all that.

Revven

Yeah, me too.

If we're not crazy and they indeed changed it that is.

Not done with UC1 so I can't comment yet but if they did this don't you think they'd have done the same to UC1 Elena? Which they didn't sooooo.... you guys may just be seeing details you didn't before because the model has been updated, just like Nate's.

Maybe it's the fixed eyes throwing you off. (They're no longer glassy).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was watching the Drake's Fortune docu on youtube and they showed the original Elena art... still wish they went for that instead. But of the games released I like her look in the original the best.

-griffy-

Banned
Is this the best update to the collection? Maybe.

t5TxgvT.png

Gonna make getting that platinum for Drake's Fortune so much easier.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Uncharted 1 looks way better than I remember it, though admittedly it's been several years since I played it.

Sadly, they didn't fix the direction Nate aims his gun in... That always bothered me in the first game. It doesn't look quite right.

Revven

Sadly, they didn't fix the direction Nate aims his gun in... That always bothered me in the first game. It doesn't look quite right.

Eh, it doesn't matter as they fixed everything else about the aiming/shooting which is what matters more. It's way more responsive now than ever.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Am I alone in thinking U2 is overtunned? I'm dying a lot towards the end and I'm only playing on normal. I don't want it to be super easy but this is getting frustrating, normal isn't normally this hard in other games.

Am I alone in thinking U2 is overtunned? I'm dying a lot towards the end and I'm only playing on normal. I don't want it to be super easy but this is getting frustrating, normal isn't normally this hard in other games.
If you're in the bit I think you are, then yes, I had difficulty with later parts on normal when I played it way back, one particular part was a nightmare.

psychotron

I was mentioning this earlier. Sometimes Drakes voice and gun sounds are low in the mix, yet the music is loud, as are the ambient effects, like crickets. I thought it was my setup, but maybe not. I have options configured to 5.1 and wide sound, so idk.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And I have to say the controls are a bit wonky sometimes, especially the cover system which has gotten me killed many times because it has stuck me to the wrong wall etc. Another complaint would be that sometimes I'm clearly holding the direction to jump one way and it'll just jump me off a cliff to my death. I'm enjoying the games on the whole but they're not quite as good as I was expecting, the set pieces really do carry it somewhat.

GavinUK86

Just finished Drake's Fortune, only took me 5 hours 7 minutes. I guess knowing where everything is and where the enemies come from and where to go definitely trims down the playtime.

So, so good on PS4, it blows my mind. Everything just feels sooo smooth.

On to Among Thieves.....

Top Bottom