• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

SomTervo

Thanks, I will start UC3 later today I think. So far I'd give both UC1 and UC2 8/10, even though UC2 is better, simply because UC1 was fun throughout without any moments that made me want to stop playing. Hoping that UC3 will hit the sweet spot for me.

UC3 is far better than 1, but still not as good as 2 imo.

2 is worth playing on Crushing. It forces you to step up your combat and general movement skills to match the super aggressive AI. It's so fucking good.

Surprised you said 2 had difficulty spikes. I don't remember any of those.

UC3 has loads of really unfair segments with cheating/difficult enemies. It's the cheapest, thus hardest game of all three.

So anyone else who had trouble with Crushing on PS3 breezing through them on PS4? Combination of experience, improved frame rate, and improved aiming? Uncharted 2 particularly though I was able to stealth past many sections or brings power weapons from previous sections fully loaded for the next section.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The final boss of U2 is a joke to be honest, I remember that well. I played 2/3 closer to launch so I'm probably a bit more generous than you, my only real gripe with Drake's Fortune (the only one I hadn't played) was the climbing which was a bit stupid.

Funnily enough I beat the boss first try, it was just a few areas that felt really overtunned.

Angel_DvA

Finish for the first time UC1, a good game, really love the characters, the plot was great until I saw the monster Spanish thing, very strange and not really in the ton of the game, it's the only thing I really dislike about it, hope the sequels won't have stupid fantastic event on them.

Alright there's Drake's Fortune done! Really enjoyed it but IMO last 4 chapters dragged a little bit. Awesome experience though, excited to be moving onto 2!

Where's the in game counter? I have to see my time to complete.

Footos22

Finish for the first time UC1, a good game, really love the characters, the plot was great until I saw the monster Spanish thing, very strange and not really in the ton of the game, it's the only thing I really dislike about it, hope the sequels won't have stupid fantastic event on them.

Gulp

I agree! That was the one thing that hit a sour note for me in The first game. Your in for a real treat with Uncharted 2!

I beat UC1 on crushing just now. Still don't understand the bullet sponge complaints.

Enemies die to one headshot, or two if they are armored.

That said, my opinion of UC1 remains largely unchanged. Medicore. UC2/3 are such huge step ups from it, I can't wait to get started on them.

The lighting in chapter 19 of the first Uncharted is great, game holds up surprisingly well outside of the forest areas, although I'm sure that has a lot to do with Blueprint's improvements.

hamchan

I think the twist in UC1 is exactly in the spirit of the adventuring treasure hunter genre though. Look at Indiana Jones and how that always ends up with some crazy supernatural thing.

The games mirror Indiana Jones, so

Honestly, what good is treasure hunting if it's just treasure hunting?

Really? I found it to be a huge struggle.

I assume you mean the guys with crossbows?
The final boss is Running In Circles: The Game. Honestly I really enjoyed that fight because it reminded me of a Crash Bandicoot boss fight.

The guys with the crossbows die to 2 crossbows, so after you get one down its easy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I beat UC1 on crushing just now. Still don't understand the bullet sponge complaints.

Enemies die to one headshot, or two if they are armored.

That said, my opinion of UC1 remains largely unchanged. Medicore. UC2/3 are such huge step ups from it, I can't wait to get started on them.

Almost done with Crushing myself, but complaints are fair. Until you get access to improved/powerful guns, those early chapters can be really rough unless you really nail headshots(a trial given how frenzied they shift and jeke). Pistol and AK-fire can require half a clip from certain distances if you keep tapping them in the shoulders or chest if just slightly off, especially int he early chapters when you are stuck with crummy guns(outside of the occasional WES or Shotgun).

That said, once acclimated it can be real thrilling to use slight windows of opportunity from bullet stagger, blind fire, and grenade impact to reposition and flank. Took me time to get the feel for this as being exposed usually is instant death otherwise. Even still, enemies can be very spongy if not landing headshots at greater distances than a few yards.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I can't believe people still claim that UC has bullet-sponge enemies. Just replayed UC1 and it takes 3 shots from the starter pistol to kill an enemy from mid-range and 1 shot to the head. In what way are these bullet-sponges?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I can't believe people still claim that UC has bullet-sponge enemies. Just replayed UC1 and it takes 3 shots from the starter pistol to kill an enemy from mid-range and 1 shot to the head. In what way are these bullet-sponges?

Again, depends on range. Close up and justa few taps to the chest will suffice, but at further range and you can easilly plug 7-8 bullets into them from the same gun which looks comical and can really annoy.

Never played this series. Think I'm on chapter 10 of first game. Really enjoying it. I'm playing or going to try and play them all through first time on hard.

Replaying UC1 in this collection has been a swell experience thus far. The visual upgrade really made the aesthetic of the game so much more beautiful, and as people have said with the aiming it feels way better than it did before, like almost perfect. And this is from someone who generally dislikes dual analog controls for aiming. Right up there with something like Vanquish and MGSV.

Anyway, already doing a second playthrough on Crushing this time, which is something I normally would not have considered but the improvement in controls prompted me to give it a shot. I already completed the treasure list on the first run so now I want to get as many of the rewards as I can before moving onto 2 and 3. So far, was pretty smooth until some frustrating restarts in Chapter 4, but I can see where people can find this mode to be thrilling and fun. Some moments were certainly tense and became quite satisfying when I came out alive.

Gray Matter

So anyone else who had trouble with Crushing on PS3 breezing through them on PS4? Combination of experience, improved frame rate, and improved aiming? Uncharted 2 particularly though I was able to stealth past many sections or brings power weapons from previous sections fully loaded for the next section.

I'm actually, believe it or not, having more trouble this time around. I've become accustomed to the fluidity of TLoU controls that going back to the uncharted series, it feels a bit wonky to me, and I'm having a hard time clearing out enemies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Again, depends on range. Close up and justa few taps to the chest will suffice, but at further range and you can easilly plug 7-8 bullets into them from the same gun which looks comical and can really annoy.

This is a non-issue as half the shots would miss from that range anyway, I don't why anyone would even bother doing this. Just close the distance or change to a more appropriate gun, anytime there are enemies out of reach the game usually provides you with a long range option.

I think this probably comes from people playing UC like its Gears, your supposed to move around the combat arenas not stay in the same place.

I'm actually, believe it or not, having more trouble this time around. I've become accustomed to the fluidity of TLoU controls that going back to the uncharted series, it feels a bit wonky to me, and I'm having a hard time clearing out enemies.
Uncharted is way more fluid than the Last of Us although your limited movement options there are intentional. In Uncharted you can constantly roll, blindfire, climb around, and so on to avoid enemies.

Default sensitivity is too low, easy fix though.

Revven

Well... at least half of those bullets are missing because they're either dodging or moving a certain way (especially the UC1 enemies). It gives the illusion they are bullet sponges but the truth is, they aren't.

If you're bad at shooting from long range, make an effort to close that gap so you don't miss as many shots and then it will be immediately apparent they aren't bullet sponges.

The only enemy in UC1 that's close to a bullet sponge are the fat guys (they take two Wes 44 shots to kill, for example) and they don't appear very often and you can usually tell which enemies are those because they're shirtless and carry shotguns (usually). But there's a good reason they don't show up often. Or armored enemies, but it makes sense why they would take a lot of body shots to kill.

It's the frustration, I get it, something has to be blamed because it looks like you're hitting them when chances are you're missing. If you actually take the time to get good at the game, this becomes a non-issue.

It's true that it's going to be rough for first timers and for the early game. I struggled immensely my first time playing UC1 and UC2. But I never once thought the enemies had too much health. I was able to recognize I was just missing shots because the enemies in UC1 move around so frantically, even when shot, which can cause you to miss subsequent shots. Hell, it happened to me during my UC1 playthrough a day or two ago. They react in ways that makes it difficult to keep shots going + compensate for recoil etc etc.

But again, they're not actually bullet sponges. It is hyperbole created from frustration of being... well... bad at the game. And that's to be expected when you first play it. Everyone starts out bad. But if you're at like Chapter 10 and you're still making the same complaint it's really down to how you are playing the game, which there is a bad way to play the game.

Gray Matter

Uncharted is way more fluid than the Last of Us although your limited movement options there are intentional. In Uncharted you can constantly roll, blindfire, climb around, and so on to avoid enemies.

Default sensitivity is too low, easy fix though.

I disagree, TLoU doesn't have sticky cover, which is better when you need to move to a different spot, in uncharted I'm lucky if I successfully get into cover without being spotted.

Then again, it's being 3+ years since I last played any of the uncharted, it'll take some getting used to again.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well UC3 got off to a good start, loved the first chapter.

Markitron

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So looks like the game ended up with an 87 metascore. I think that is fair.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection

Some of the user reviews are so bad, a guy gave it a 0 because it's a lazy cash grab, which couldn't be further from the truth. He obviously hasn't even played it. I guess the critic reviews are a little more accurate. I've just started the third game and overall the collection is a solid 8/10 for me, 3 would need to be Last of Us good to bump up the total score so 87 seems about right.

I disagree, TLoU doesn't have sticky cover, which is better when you need to move to a different spot, in uncharted I'm lucky if I successfully get into cover without being spotted.

Then again, it's being 3+ years since I last played any of the uncharted, it'll take some getting used to again.

In UC2 and 3, the game feels pretty damn fluid. UC1 has moments of transcendence, but many of the early arenas don't really play to the game's strength.

I think UC is more fun. TLoU is more satisfying.

zsynqx

I'm not a fan of MC scores in general, but they are particuarly pointless with remasters/collections. There are too many ways to approach reviewing them to have any kind of meaningful consensus.

I'm not a fan of MC but I chose not to ignore it as it is clearly relevant and I want games I like to do well. :p I brought it up as if I averaged out my scores of the three games it would end up in the 85-90 range so thought the score was pretty accurate.

Edit: I agree with your point about remasters though.

Some of the user reviews are so bad, a guy gave it a 0 because it's a lazy cash grab, which couldn't be further from the truth. He obviously hasn't even played it. I guess the critic reviews are a little more accurate. I've just started the third game and overall the collection is a solid 8/10 for me, 3 would need to be Last of Us good to bump up the total score so 87 seems about right.

Always ignore user reviews ;)

As someone who never got to play any of the Uncharteds since I owned a 360 last generation, here are my impressions so far:

UC1 [complete]- Fun romp in a tropical island. It felt like a regular film in the Indiana Jones trilogy, more than I expected. I've seen friends play the games and know a lot of the character but this is the first time I've played the game first hand and got to know the characters from start to finish. I won't discuss the story and characters because it's a given it's pretty good. And the game for the most part is great too. My biggest complaint would probably be:

- Just how many encounters with waves of enemies there are. Everytime you enter a wide area you know that you'll have to fight off like 3 or so waves of enemies. In harder difficulties this is a pain because if they don't give you proper cover you'll be redoing it over and over again until you find a pattern you can exploit.

- The sequences with the
demon spaniards
reminded me too much of Halo 1 when all of a sudden you have to trudge through a decent amount of levels with
The Flood
and it was just a pain in the neck imho.

- This isn't a complaint as much as a comment but when you're doing the same shit over and over again and then the game expects you to know to do something outside of the box when you've been in the same area for a while now it's a bit annoying because I feel most won't immediately realize "Oh I don't have to do the same shit I've been doing for the past 3-4 sections in this level".

- The last area was a pain in the ass. Couldn't even give you like
grenades to take care of the baddies
. God I had to redo that so many times due to those fucking cardboard boxes.

I'd give Uncharted 1 a solid 8/10. By itself I wouldn't have paid more than 15 for it NOW.

zsynqx

As someone who never got to play any of the Uncharteds since I owned a 360 last generation, here are my impressions so far:

UC1 [complete]- Fun romp in a tropical island. It felt like a regular film in the Indiana Jones trilogy, more than I expected. I've seen friends play the games and know a lot of the character but this is the first time I've played the game first hand and got to know the characters from start to finish. I won't discuss the story and characters because it's a given it's pretty good. And the game for the most part is great too. My biggest complaint would probably be:

- Just how many encounters with waves of enemies there are. Everytime you enter a wide area you know that you'll have to fight off like 3 or so waves of enemies. In harder difficulties this is a pain because if they don't give you proper cover you'll be redoing it over and over again until you find a pattern you can exploit.

- The sequences with the
demon spaniards
reminded me too much of Halo 1 when all of a sudden you have to trudge through a decent amount of levels with
The Flood

- This isn't a complaint as much as a comment but when you're doing the same shit over and over again and then the game expects you to know to do something outside of the box when you've been in the same area for a while now it's a bit annoying because I feel most won't immediately realize "Oh I don't have to do the same shit I've been doing for the past 3-4 sections in this level".

I'd give Uncharted 1 a solid 8/10. By itself I wouldn't have paid more than 15 for it NOW.

Glad you enjoyed it :). Despite showing its age in some areas I feel the charm and characters help keep it enjoyable even today.

FranXico

- The sequences with the
demon spaniards
The Flood

Uncharted 1 did not age too well, for sure.
If in any case you already found it enjoyable as it is, get ready to have a really great time playing Uncharted 2.

antitrop

The difference between Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2's "Hint" system seems pretty major. In Uncharted 1, it felt like the Hint button was useless almost every time I pressed it, whereas Uncharted 2 just straight up centers the camera on exactly where you need to climb.

Muitnorts

One thing I feel I should add for first time players is that the jet ski section was definitely not designed with this control scheme in mind.
I had to switch to shooting with L1/R1 just for those parts because otherwise acceleration is binary. Using the triggers instead it's much easier and more satisfying to stay steady in the currents and line up shots!

On to Chapter 13 now though and it's held up exceptionally well. I always loved Uncharted DF more than most and this collection has only reinforced that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I feel I should add for first time players is that the jet ski section was definitely not designed with this control scheme in mind.
I had to switch to shooting with L1/R1 just for those parts because otherwise acceleration is binary. Using the triggers instead it's much easier and more satisfying to stay steady in the currents and line up shots!

On to Chapter 13 now though and it's held up exceptionally well. I always loved Uncharted DF more than most and this collection has only reinforced that.

I was driving like an old lady on that bit, it felt so awkward to drive and shoot without stopping.

Drake's Fortune is such a poor game. Naff pacing, boring combat arenas and rubbish gunplay.

Throw in a dozen infuriating camera angles and some really twitchy platform sections and you have the worst game in the series by a country mile.

It's a nice introductory chapter with decent characters but it is painful to go back to now.

Combat is relentless early on and it just feels like a slog.

Coming straight from The Last of Us only serves to highlight its failings.

Still, I bought this collection to relive my love affair with Among Thieves - I've got to power on!

Drake's Fortune is such a poor game. Naff pacing, boring combat arenas and rubbish gunplay.

Throw in a dozen infuriating camera angles and some really twitchy platform sections and you have the worst game in the series by a country mile.

It's a nice introductory chapter with decent characters but it is painful to go back to now.

Combat is relentless early on and it just feels like a slog.

Coming straight from The Last of Us only serves to highlight its failings.

Still, I bought this collection to relive my love affair with Among Thieves - I've got to power on!

Drake's Fortune is not a poor game. Perhaps not as good as Among Thieves or Drake's Deception; but it's no where near being poor.

NightOnyx

Finally got around to trying out the demo and I forgot just how much I love these games. I was going to wait until closer to Uncharted 4 to get this and play through it, but I don't know if I can wait anymore.

Darknight

So I started Uncharted 2 today...wow coming from U1, its a massive gap graphically. ND really did an amazing job. Its funny to think back that when they did the E3 U2 gameplay, everyone didnt see this type of game coming from the same team.

Sadly since I've played these games over the years, that hotel scene has lost a bit of impact on me. It didnt help that now that I played it back on PS4, I died due to the game? For instance, I've noticed you have to stay put behind that one table on the back. If you are too close to the walls on the left/right, you get killed by then bouncing furniture. So it limits your position in that one event.

I've also noticed that some baddies just spawn infront of you when the furniture starts bouncing around due to explosion. Maybe they drop down but it definitely kills the mood a bit.

Now I just got to when you meet Elena for the first time. I love this scene when Chloe steps in. Like I love the dialog between the 3. When Chloe says something like "Oh she broke your heart, didnt she?" and Drake says "maybe I broke her heart" and Chloe is like "yea ok Casanova". LOL

And wow at Elena's new face. First of all, they did all make up on her. On the regular game, she just looked like U1's model. You can tell the difference right away. They did make her a little more in line with U3 Elena. Im not complaining but its apparent they did alter her look and she doesnt look different because its a higher res model or fixed the eyes.

Lastly Chloe's model looks amazing. Her glass eyes really made her face look somewhat odd. Now, she looks great like on par with Drake's model. Top tier. Cant believe little changes can bring in new flavor to these old models. Her face doesnt look like it was altered to match her U3 face model so it was just a matter of fixing those damn glass eyes. Kudos to BluePoint.

Top Bottom