• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Saikyo

Transparent Metta and Undyne (I guess no one wants to use Flowey as an avatar, right?)

fishagrhg.png

metayioe3.png

I was thinking today, and I have a question. What characters have defined genders (she/he)? I know the main character doesn't, but which others?

L95

I was thinking today, and I have a question. What characters have defined genders (she/he)? I know the main character doesn't, but which others?

Uhh, of the top of my head, Blooky is called they I think.

Wait, you were asking for ones with specified genders, uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kangi

I imagine the question was supposed to be "which characters don't have defined genders". In which case, not counting various background characters/enemies: Monster Kid, Napstablook, Riverperson, and
the Fallen Child
all apply.

Napstablook's an interesting case though, since
Mettaton EX
seems to almost refer to them as "he" before switching to "they".

"
NO, WAIT! WAIT, BL...
H... THEY ALREADY HUNG UP. ...
"

I imagine the question was supposed to be "which characters don't have defined genders". In which case, not counting various background characters/enemies: Monster Kid, Napstablook, Riverperson, and
the Fallen Child
all apply.

Napstablook's an interesting case though, since
Mettaton EX
seems to almost refer to them as "he" before switching to "they".

"
NO, WAIT! WAIT, BL...
H... THEY ALREADY HUNG UP. ...
"

Thank you. That is what I was looking for.

Roussow

I'm a little confused, guys. Spoilers follow, I guess.

So I killed Asgore, then finally defeated Flowey (I didn't kill him), then I got the phone call with Papyrus and Sans, the only major characters still alive for me) then Flowey appeared and dared me to do it again, then I was set back just before Asgore. Was that the ending? Or is there more if I go through and fight Flowey and Asgore again, it sounded like he was hinting at doing what I've heard of through osmosis is a pacifist run. Is there more here? I just feel super empty, if that was indeed one of the endings, huh. Okay, I finished it? I don't really feel anything.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

So I killed Asgore, then finally defeated Flowey (I didn't kill him), then I got the phone call with Papyrus and Sans, the only major characters still alive for me) then Flowey appeared and dared me to do it again, then I was set back just before Asgore. Was that the ending? Or is there more if I go through and fight Flowey and Asgore again, it sounded like he was hinting at doing what I've heard of through osmosis is a pacifist run. Is there more here? I just feel super empty, if that was indeed one of the endings, huh. Okay, I finished it? I don't really feel anything.

Did you kill anyone in that run?

If you didn't move back a few rooms to activate pacifist.

Neutral ending is a bit of a misnomer really. It is an ending but it reveals nothing about the true nature of the game.

Kangi

You hit one of the neutral endings. Flowey basically told you to reset and do a pacifist run to get the true ending. At least, I'm assuming you need to reset, 'cause it sounds like you killed a good bunch of characters. If you didn't, you'd be able to pick back up and go do the pacifist ending from here.

Roussow

Did you kill anyone in that run?

If you didn't move back a few rooms to activate pacifist.

Neutral ending is a bit of a misnomer really. It is an ending but it reveals nothing about the true nature of the game.

You hit one of the neutral endings. Flowey basically told you to reset and do a pacifist run to get the true ending. At least, I'm assuming you need to reset, 'cause it sounds like you killed a good bunch of characters. If you didn't, you'd be able to pick back up and go do the pacifist ending from here.

Well, you know what, I really don't have time for that right now, I knew I was on some neutral path or whatever, but I thought I'd actually get a bit more closure than I actually got. I assume you literally mean start the entire game over and gain no xp killing nothing including bosses -- then I'd get the "true" ending or something like that? Got a youtube link? I'd like to see the true ending, but there's no way I'm actually going to execute on a pacifist run, that just sounds far too tedious.

Antiwhippy

Well, you know what, I really don't have time for that right now, I knew I was on some neutral path or whatever, but I thought I'd actually get a bit more closure than I actually got. I assume you literally mean start the entire game over and gain no xp killing nothing including bosses -- then I'd get the "true" ending or something like that? Got a youtube link? I'd like to see the true ending, but there's no way I'm actually going to execute on a pacifist run, that just sounds far too tedious.

The ending is not the thing though, it's the path you take and the implications it has when combined with the neutral and
genocide route.

Plus there are a lot of little moments in pacifist that doesn't happen in neutral.

But here's the pacifist run on youtube if you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZDJmj9NW0c&list=PLi-rLCC8tcgHccdUE3XYsPVpHeiM5oXxJ

Kangi

The game's pretty easy and quick the second time through, and the reduced health from staying low level doesn't make too much of an impact. I'd recommend giving it a try, but if you're dead-set on giving up here... Dodger's playthrough is pretty great. VODs from her stream are up on her Youtube channel. Part 12 and onward is the true pacifist end content.

Roussow

The game's pretty easy and quick the second time through, and the reduced health from staying low level doesn't make too much of an impact. I'd recommend giving it a try, but if you're dead-set on giving up here... Dodger's playthrough is pretty great. VODs from her stream are up on her Youtube channel. Part 12 and onward is the true pacifist end content.

Yeah, I like Doger's work, I was also considering watching the TwoBestFriends playthrough -- although that's something I'll watch anyway.

I just can't help but feel super disappointed right now, even if it's totally all my own doing that got me here. I think I might actually go ahead ad properly complete the game, or at least see these two other variants, the genocide and pacifist runs. Genocide sounds like a bit of a slog though. Other than not killing everything (and killing everything on genocide), is there much I need to know to not fuck up my own playthrough? Or is it pretty straight forward?
One more thing, is there any form of controller support? dodging attacks on laptop arrow keys was harder than it should have been.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, it's pretty much plug and play with the 360 controller.

Also it's not your fault, I don't think the ending was meant to give you much closure.

Kangi

Yeah, I like Doger's work, I was also considering watching the TwoBestFriends playthrough -- although that's something I'll watch anyway.

I just can't help but feel super disappointed right now, even if it's totally all my own doing that got me here. I think I might actually go ahead ad properly complete the game, or at least see these two other variants, the genocide and pacifist runs. Genocide sounds like a bit of a slog though. Other than not killing everything (and killing everything on genocide), is there much I need to know to not fuck up my own playthrough? Or is it pretty straight forward?
One more thing, is there any form of controller support? dodging attacks on laptop arrow keys was harder than it should have been.

There's controller support, yeah.

Pacifist is pretty simple. Just never use the fight button and you'll be fine. You can re-load your save if you accidentally kill something. Also, go out of your way to befriend Undyne.

Genocide's a bit more complicated. You have to kill enemies in each area until no more spawn... which is quite a bit of a slog. But yeah, "kill everything".

Roussow

There's controller support, yeah.

Pacifist is pretty simple. Just never use the fight button and you'll be fine. You can re-load your save if you accidentally kill something. Also, go out of your way to befriend Undyne.

Genocide's a bit more complicated. You have to kill enemies in each area until no more spawn... which is quite a bit of a slog. But yeah, "kill everything".

So genocide is literally random battling away the world, as well as bosses, huh. Now is there any indication to when you've fully cleared an area? Or just do a couple of laps of each room to make sure it's clear?

Oh and fleeing qualifies as pacifism? Not just sparing?

Kangi

So genocide is literally random battling away the world, as well as bosses, huh. Now is there any indication to when you've fully cleared an area? Or just do a couple of laps of each room to make sure it's clear?

Oh and fleeing qualifies as pacifism? Not just sparing?

You'll get a message after you're done with the random battles. Also, the save points will act as tallies.

And yes. Pacifism doesn't require sparing, just non-violence.

PBalfredo

Rapid fire forced restarts? Flowey only shut off my game once.

Looking at videos of other people playing that fight, I realized why there is a discrepancy on the number of resets we faced. Flowey will crash the game for sure at least once when he first absorbs the human souls. But he will also crash the game whenever he kills you during the fight. The game gives you a good margin of error during that fight, but if you blunder extra hard into a bullet pattern, you will die. Which apparently I did more than you.

Tizoc

I just reached the
Undyne
Encounter.
DAT MUSIC

So I just Plead and Spare til she gives up right?
I only ever killed like 1 monster besides Toriel

For me this game is great for its character and music, but dang do I hate the moody ones @_@

Zeroth

I just reached the
Undyne
Encounter.
DAT MUSIC

For me this game is great for its character and music, but dang do I hate the moody ones @_@

If you wish to get the pacifist ending, you need to not kill any monster,
Toriel included
. Thought I should warn ya in case you want to go back.

Tizoc

If you wish to get the pacifist ending, you need to not kill any monster,
Toriel included
. Thought I should warn ya in case you want to go back.

I'm aware of that, now to figure out just how long
Undyne will keep yapping before her encounter ends, yeesh

I just reached the
Undyne
Encounter.
DAT MUSIC

There's a little something else you need to do with Undyne. Pay attention to what she says at the beginning of the fight when she turns you green

I'm aware of that, now to figure out just how long
Undyne will keep yapping before her encounter ends, yeesh

Yo, try
escaping
!

Also move it when you do.

Also TOTALLY OPTIONAL THING PEOPLE MISS
try running to Undyne's house while you're running away from her!

rrc2soft

RPG Codex review: You should play this game

TL;DR: Undertale is a brilliant game, and the less you know about it before going in, the better.​​

And that's because, despite the Earthbound-ish elements, Undertale stands on its own as something entirely unique. Not only due to its design choices, but also to the amazing quality of the game as a whole. From the artwork to the soundtrack, from character design to battle systems, Undertale is easily one - if not THE - most coherent and consistent game I've ever played, where everything exists for a reason and I couldn't imagine it any other way.​

But nothing is perfect. While Undertale is a very short game that can be beat in around 4-5 hours (in your first playthrough), it has some pacing issues. (...)
It comes as no surprise that re-playing an area based entirely on puzzles and a weak, gimmicky character isn't fun at all.
Surprisingly, though, that's the biggest criticism I have of Undertale.

Tizoc

Yo, try
escaping
!

Also move it when you do.

Also TOTALLY OPTIONAL THING PEOPLE MISS
try running to Undyne's house while you're running away from her!

Where is
her house?

OK made to
Hotland, I totally thought Alphys was a dude lol
The music here is so gooooood.

Tizoc

West of Blooky's place, it's the house with a bit of angry face going on. Can't really do it now that you've escaped and (I assume) saved, though.

Oh I remember it now, will do that when I do my 2nd playthrough :p

I guess I should solidify it's position among my 2015 GotY list already.

Raw64life

Just finished the game, doing the true pacifist ending. It was awesome, although admittedly I did consult this guide at points to make sure I got the ending I wanted. For example, I had no clue that I hadn't completed
befriending Undyne until I was right at Asgore's doorstep and I looked at the guide
. I would've been super pissed if I went through with the ending without finding that out.

Admittedly I spoiled some small things for myself but I'm glad I did because I probably would've ended up feeling the same way Roussow did earlier on this page had I not. I have no intention of doing any other kind of ending and will just watch YouTube videos to satisfy my curiosity about the things I missed. Still, as an old school RPG fan I loved this game.

Kangi

For example, I had no clue that I hadn't completed
befriending Undyne until I was right at Asgore's doorstep and I looked at the guide
. I would've been super pissed if I went through with the ending without finding that out.

You can do that after fighting Flowey, actually. He'll even instruct you to do so if you didn't already (in place of telling you to go see Alphys).

OTIX

Sorry, but I have to vent my anger at this shitty game.
I've been loving the game all the way through, great characters, great humour, great battle mechanics. A truly delightful game. I've been doing the pacifist thing of course, solving every encounter without violence. Until I get to the final boss and I just can't figure it out, there's nothing you can do. So I try staying alive for a super long time, nothing happens. I try dying over and over, nothing happens. The only thing the game keeps telling you is to have DETERMINATION. Don't give up! So I keep trying to figure it out, I try various items, explore the castle, try to find hidden menu options, etc. I spend so much time on this fight before I eventually give up and look it up online. Turns out there's no solution, you just HAVE to fight this boss. Doesn't matter if you're playing pacifist, you still have to attack him with a goddamn knife. So utterly fucking stupid. Fuck this game.

I might finish it later when I'm less angry.

Kangi

Sorry, but I have to vent my anger at this shitty game.
I've been loving the game all the way through, great characters, great humour, great battle mechanics. A truly delightful game. I've been doing the pacifist thing of course, solving every encounter without violence. Until I get to the final boss and I just can't figure it out, there's nothing you can do. So I try staying alive for a super long time, nothing happens. I try dying over and over, nothing happens. The only thing the game keeps telling you is to have DETERMINATION. Don't give up! So I keep trying to figure it out, I try various items, explore the castle, try to find hidden menu options, etc. I spend so much time on this fight before I eventually give up and look it up online. Turns out there's no solution, you just HAVE to fight this boss. Doesn't matter if you're playing pacifist, you still have to attack him with a goddamn knife. So utterly fucking stupid. Fuck this game.

I might finish it later when I'm less angry.

To be fair,
the game straight-up tells you to FIGHT if you try talking too many times

You're kinda just supposed to deduce
that you have to fight since he literally takes away your mercy button. Some people don't pick up on that, though, and look for crazy alternatives

PBalfredo

I do with the Asgore fight
had alternate ways of finishing it other than Fighting. I was getting rocked by Asgore for a long while because of how Talking to him mentioned how many times I had died to him. I was convinced that I had to show that my DETERMINATION was greater than his and wear down his resolve by showing that I'll always keep coming back, no matter how much pain he inflicted on me.

This game has ruined me. I beat the neutral run yesterday, thought nothing could top that ending, and then just beat the final battle on the pacifist run. The latter part was such an emotional moment that I had to leave my PC to get some breathing room. My eyes were watery by the time the
main theme kicked in during the final battle with Asriel and I was on the brink during the lost souls bit of the fight. I can't do the victory lap around the game world right now.

I have some thoughts on some other content of the game that I need to get off my chest.

Everything I read and saw online about the genocide run disgusts me. I can't comprehend why the developer would put this in the game. Seems way too cruel and completely at odds with the rest of the game. Why is the PC possessed by the first human to be this sociopathic killing machine? Makes no sense. The horror elements of the final encounter with the first human sounds especially fucked from what I read and saw.

The Gaster stuff looks interesting but also is offputting in a way I can't explain. I think it has to do with how I'm starting to resent the horror elements of Undertale. Everything from the True Lab and the battle with photoshop Flowey is appropiate and inline with the game's narrative but this Gaster and the Genocide run content seems... wrong.

Kangi

This game has ruined me. I beat the neutral run yesterday, thought nothing could top that ending, and then just beat the final battle on the pacifist run. The latter part was such an emotional moment that I had to leave my PC to get some breathing room. My eyes were watery by the time the
main theme kicked in during the final battle with Asriel and I was on the brink during the lost souls bit of the fight. I can't do the victory lap around the game world right now.

Make sure you're thorough with your victory lap once you do it. There's some emotional stuff waiting in far corners.

Antiwhippy

I have some thoughts on some other content of the game that I need to get off my chest.

Everything I read and saw online about the genocide run disgusts me. I can't comprehend why the developer would put this in the game. Seems way too cruel and completely at odds with the rest of the game. Why is the PC possessed by the first human to be this sociopathic killing machine? Makes no sense. The horror elements of the final encounter with the first human sounds especially fucked from what I read and saw.

Because it's meant to embody the people who would go through that route for the sake of it. It's meant to literally represent you.

Top Bottom