• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
But seemingly most of the bad things that have happened in the show this season are things that D&D made up specifically for the show. Hence the complaints that the showrunners are feeling pressured to come up with 'shocking' shit to get viewers talking.

I agree with the other poster though, the two books were generally a reprieve (both good and bad) from all the crazy shit happening beforehand. Probably mainly to do with all the new characters and settings. At least that's how I remember it somewhat.

Take Shireen getting burned. That's not in these two books. If it happens later, why add it here sandwiched between two events that had/will generate a RW type reaction? Then they remove the hopeful cathartic moments like Frey pies, Manderly helping out Davos, Jaime turning on Cersei, Freys getting hanged, Jaime trying to peacefully end the fighting, blackfish escaping again. They made it where we can no longer cheer on Stannis. They killed Berristan. They made Dany come off as genuinely crazy.

Good point.

Hrm. I can't really say as to why certain things are put in this season, I'd have to read the remaining books to make my mind as to why it's pretty devastating this season.

Brakke

Banned
Aron's retort to that was maybe the Throne being forged by Aegon's dragon could give the swords the same magical properties.

Deus Ex Heavy Handed Symbolica

I just thought of something. If Jon doesn't die in the wilderness, how could he come back? He'd just get stabbed again.

I'd expect anyone who witnessed a dude resurrecting to be flabbergasted for like a minute at least.

btrboyev

Deus Ex Heavy Handed Symbolica

I'd expect anyone who witnessed a dude resurrecting to be flabbergasted for like a minute at least.

If he dies and is resurrected he is no longer bound to the nights watch. Not only did the nights watch betray him, his watch has ended in his death.

Speevy

Banned
Take Shireen getting burned. That's not in these two books. If it happens later, why add it here sandwiched between two events that had/will generate a RW type reaction? Then they remove the hopeful cathartic moments like Frey pies, Manderly helping out Davos, Jaime turning on Cersei, Freys getting hanged, Jaime trying to peacefully end the fighting, blackfish escaping again. They made it where we can no longer cheer on Stannis. They killed Berristan. They made Dany come off as genuinely crazy.

I hate to disagree with you, but aside from Dany's victories, nothing good/cathartic really happened in season 3 on either side of the red wedding.

Speevy

Banned
If he dies and is resurrected he is no longer bound to the nights watch. Not only did the nights watch betray him, his watch has ended in his death.

Or maybe they're like "And now his watch has ended"

He raises straight up at a 90 degree angle.

"Uh...and now his watch begins."

Lothar

Banned
I hate to disagree with you, but aside from Dany's victories, nothing good/cathartic really happened in season 3 on either side of the red wedding.

Dany's victories were big. She got an army, conquered cities, and freed slaves. Nothing this season comes close to giving you a good feeling as that. Jaime also became a good person, became friends with Brienne, and saved her from a bear. Davos helped Gendry escape and not get burned alive. Hot Pie had a happy ending.

Iksenpets

Banned
Dany's victories were big. She got an army, conquered cities, and freed slaves. Nothing this season comes close to giving you a good feeling as that. Jaime also became a good person, became friends with Brienne, and saved her from a bear. Davos helped Gendry escape and not get burned alive. Hot Pie had a happy ending.

For this season, a Stannis victory over Bolton was always the thing that seemed like it could provide a big upper to counter the stuff with Jon, but now they've made everyone hate Stannis so that doesn't even work. Your only remaining positive bits are Sansa's escape and Arya killing Trant. Maybe Dorne could end on a high note, but I get the sense they want to cram the maiming of Myrcella into this episode, too, which will kill the mood there.

Crisco

Banned
Man, I almost want Jon to be totally dead. Like, the show drives the point home by having Wun Wun smash his entire body with a giant rock or something lol. For once, book readers would be more shocked than TV watchers!

munchie64

Milk that shock and see just how far they can get their ratings to drop
Not that far at all really. Hell it's probably doing pretty amazing with the new streaming services, and it's illegal downloads always seem to be going up.
At least for now, we'll see how Jon's death goes.

Wait is it true that the season finale has leaked? That's what I'm reading.

Yeah but reading where, and who is saying that? I'm not seeing that anywhere, could just be someone having some fun. If true though, then expect some people to be putting spoilers out there soon. We should try and avoid that here, though.

Crisco

Banned
Piracy must really suck for a fantasy show. It's not like they can have the main character drive a Toyota Tundra or wear Levis lol

Milk that shock and see just how far they can get their ratings to drop

I agree. Implying that Jon died TOTALLY FO REALZIES is the biggest mistake they could make.
Kill him early and end on a cliffhanger that implies he survived. THAT would be a real twist, a GOT character surviving a fatal attack

foxtrot3d

Banned
this plus obvious filming leaks makes no ressurection in the finale kind of silly. But maybt they'll just milk the shock for the short time it lasts.

Why do people keep mentioning filming leaks as a reason they won't leak the ending a cliffhanger? Do you really think that the majority of the viewing audience browses the internet all day for casting rumors, set pictures, and other leaks? The shock of the death will keep the general internet and audience talking about the show and brimming as they wait for the next season to find out what happens next.

Real Hero

Man, I almost want Jon to be totally dead. Like, the show drives the point home by having Wun Wun smash his entire body with a giant rock or something lol. For once, book readers would be more shocked than TV watchers!

He could get the Jojen treatment. Gets stabbed by olly, he's still alive so Sam mercy kills him and then a child of the forest lobs a fireball at him to ensure he doesn't become a zombie.

Why do people keep mentioning filming leaks as a reason they won't leak the ending a cliffhanger? Do you really think that the majority of the viewing audience browses the internet all day for casting rumors, set pictures, and other leaks? The shock of the death will keep the general internet and audience talking about the show and brimming as they wait for the next season to find out what happens next.
this is a watercooler show, it doesn't take much for word of something like that to spread.

Especially with twitter and whatnot.

Yeah but reading where, and who is saying that? I'm not seeing that anywhere, could just be someone having some fun. If true though, then expect some people to be putting spoilers out there soon. We should try and avoid that here, though.

I've seen a few mentions here and there of a summary leaking and possibly more pictures but I don't see where. Apparently it's out there. Not sure how credible. We'll find out soon I guess.

foxtrot3d

Banned
this is a watercooler show, it doesn't take much for word of something like that to spread.

Especially with twitter and whatnot.

I've seen a few mentions here and there of a summary leaking and possibly more pictures but I don't see where. Apparently it's out there. Not sure how credible. We'll find out soon I guess.

A show based on books first released about two decades ago. If the average audience has been able to avoid book spoilers I think they can avoid set leaks.

DToneli

Neo Member
A show based on books first released about two decades ago. If the average audience has been able to avoid book spoilers I think they can avoid set leaks.

The first four episodes leaked at once, before the first one was premiered. I would not be so sure about HBO avoiding set leaks

foxtrot3d

Banned
The first four episodes leaked at once, before the first one was premiered. I would not be so sure about HBO avoiding set leaks

You're misinterpreting, I'm not doubting that set leaks will likely happen but that general audiences won't be "spoiled" by such leaks since spoilers have been a persistent presence since Day 1.

Garret

You're misinterpreting, I'm not doubting that set leaks will likely happen but that general audiences won't be "spoiled" by such leaks since spoilers have been a persistent presence since Day 1.

Because ASoIaF book fans are a nice bunch and, for the most part, don't go around spoiling stuff.

VKLbvzI.png
lol

XAL

Oh god, this is amazing, it's too bad I can't post it anywhere else because it's technically a spoiler lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gpxZSSPvxk

I guess it's better than making a video of him traveling all over the place, elbowing anyone and everyone, and then literally crying about calls that don't go his way.

And what is it steel is made from, again?

Castle-forged steel later melted by...dragon fire.

I wonder, if the dragon fire added during a transformative state of raw material makes it magic (ore to steel or rock to glass) or if it merely gets magical properties by being touched by dragon fire.

If they melted down the iron throne it might have the white walker killing properties of Dragonsteel/glass - but the swords would be not as good as Valyrian steel.

Just finished aDwD, so can safely visit this thread now. Holy shit I didn't expect Jon Snow to (apparently) die at this point. I wonder if there is any chance of that being the finale of the season. Didn't expect Barristan to live at the end of the book thanks to the show.

Also interesting how much stuff is left out/changed from the books. It was smaller stuff in the beginning but in Season 5 especially the show seems to be doing it's own thing.

Madness

Just finished aDwD, so can safely visit this thread now. Holy shit I didn't expect Jon Snow to (apparently) die at this point. I wonder if there is any chance of that being the finale of the season. Didn't expect Barristan to live at the end of the book thanks to the show.

Also interesting how much stuff is left out/changed from the books. It was smaller stuff in the beginning but in Season 5 especially the show seems to be doing it's own thing.

You made a mistake fellow show watcher turned book reader. All you'll do nonstop is nitpick the small details. Ignorance is bliss.

XAL

Yup and apparently the Night's King shown in the TV show is dead in the books. So we'll be getting something different on that front.

You made a mistake fellow show watcher turned book reader. All you'll do nonstop is nitpick the small details. Ignorance is bliss.

I don't nitpick. I'm just surprised how different some of it actually is. I like both the books and the show as separate things.

I kinda hope Jon dies for real but considering Melisandre is around...

Iksenpets

Banned

Ha, you got to miss the freakout over Barristan's death. People were pissed.

And yeah, season 5 is really different. Most of that is because it had to be, since those books are just so long and meandering, but there's been a good amount of them changing stuff just because, too.

Ha, you got to miss the freakout over Barristan's death. People were pissed.
Need to search the archives I guess :lol.

If I do have to nitpick I wish there were more scenes of Cersei in power and a little more focus on the sparrows. In the non spoiler thread there is a lot of murmur how sudden their rise to power ect is. Cersei chapters were by far my favourites in Feast of Crows.

And do I get sacrificed to the lord of light if I'm glad they don't have friggin Zombie Cat in the show? I guess this stuff depends which you saw/read first.

pupcoffee

He gives Sam he key to let him out. I think Ghost is pretty much Sam's dog at this point. He'll sneak Ghost off to Oldtown with him next episode.

Eh, some of it is cramming, but there's definitely an element of them injecting extra negativity or cutting positive aspects. They up the ante on all the darkness of the Winterfell plot by putting Sansa there, and then cut all its positivity by removing all the northern lords who don't trust the Boltons. They invent a flaying scene for the old lady just to really crush hope. Then, of course, the sacrifice of Shireen, which seems to have been rushed forward to create a moment of extreme darkness for the Stannis plot, and I would bet that when we get Winds in 8 years, the show version of the sacrifice scene will be significantly darker than the book version.

I guess maybe Tyrion's plot is a bit lighter, since he's not being humiliated as a slave in jousting matches and getting almost fed to lions.

Are you saying that the "The North Remembers" scene isn't in the show?

XAL

I don't nitpick. I'm just surprised how different some of it actually is. I like both the books and the show as separate things.

I kinda hope Jon dies for real but considering Melisandre is around...

I'm guessing Stannis is killed, she prays to revive the chosen one and Jon wakes up in the snow on fire and freaks everyone the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom