• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't leave him dead as the cliffhanger because it will be impossible for them to film next season without spoilers coming out that he is still alive so they will show something happen at least.

This. His eyes are turning white. Book it. Starks are magical; you can't kill em cleanly if you want em to stay dead.

Jon shoulda took Stannis' offer. Now he's going to get rekt by Ollie.

Is it just me or did they make the Sparrow's really really annoying?
Sparrows and Stars really rustle my atheist jimmies

But I suppose they do represent the "common" man and lack an agenda unlike everyone else.
Or am I wrong? Not to mention Loras wasn't even supposed to be there!

Joe

i really, really wish there was a commoner's perspective in all of this. someone poor that can give us a new angle to look at all the political maneuvering and civil wars.

i really, really wish there was a commoner's perspective in all of this. someone poor that can give us a new angle to look at all the political maneuvering and civil wars.

They could have used the Sparrow's for that actually since they claim to represent the poor

They'd be sitting on their farm the entire show and then one episode the Hound would come by and stab them.

Or that... ahaha! I mean this isn't Dragon Age where commoners get to be heroes. You have to be some fancy high falutin lord to get anywhere and even then... your lifespan is limited

Corpekata

Banned

They'd be sitting on their farm the entire show and then one episode the Hound would come by and stab them.

Corpekata

Banned
Is it just me or did they make the Sparrow's really really annoying?
Sparrows and Stars really rustle my atheist jimmies

But I suppose they do represent the "common" man and lack an agenda unlike everyone else.
Or am I wrong? Not to mention Loras wasn't even supposed to be there!

They're supposed to not sit well with people. Nobody likes religious extremists in fiction, even if they're doling out punishment to people like Cersei.

They're supposed to not sit well with people. Nobody likes religious extremists in fiction, even if they're doling out punishment to people like Cersei.

True enough. I will admit though it's satisfying and hilarious to see Cersei's plan backfire so spectacularly... In much the same way I don't really feel bad for Theon/Reek/Igor

suzu

True enough. I will admit though it's satisfying and hilarious to see Cersei's plan backfire so spectacularly... In much the same way I don't really feel bad for Theon/Reek/Igor

I like seeing Cersei's downfall / screw up. It's great! Seeing Theon screw up, well, not so much when it kept going and going and going. D:

Brakke

Banned
House of Cards killed Doug at the end of Season 2. And then they un-killed him at the start of Season 3.

I thought it was kind of cheap but I liked Doug so I was ok with him coming back. I didn't even know he was coming back until like a week before the season dropped.

Kyougar

She wanted to save Drogon from the spears. Which is great motivation because she loves the dragons, but kind of a bummer if she wants to conquer Westeros. The best dragon we have. Everyone throw spears at it! That's the key!

He looked like not really bothered by the spears. *shrug*

Meraxes wants a word with you both.
Well, technically, it was a scorpion ballista, but he was bigger, so the spears could have penetrated Drogons eyes like Meraxes' eyes. But i dont know if Rhaenys Dragon was killed by the shot through the eye or from the fall into the castle.

Pfft, books are still much better.

Agreed. We're in the minority on this one though.

I care more about supplemental history and goings-on in the world than what big moments happen in the story, though. I loved the kingsmoot because it was fun to read, not because it was going to change the overarching story in any way (which it might).

But yeah, hoping they get things going back in the right direction tonight. Last week was my least favorite episode of the show ever.

Ok, here are the current standings. I may have missed a ton of posts, so if you aren't on the list make sure you include either "#teamOllyKills" or "#teamOllySaves" in your post so I can count it.

STAND AND BE COUNTED - FIVE HOURS REMAIN UNTIL JUDGMENT.

#teamOllyKills
m_shortpants
PfantzyPantz
Fuzzy
Jacob
Euron Crow's Eye
Atraveller
LordCanti
Violet_0
DToneli
graffix13
Dr_LucienSanchez
Pegasus Actual
iRAWRasaurus
CassSept
Patriots7
Ninja Beagle
spootime
Bubblicious
Shuggananas
Spikematic

#teamOllySaves
munchie64
phaonaut
Blatz
PhoenixDark
hammertomb
hoos30
Brakke
Dysun
Kain
Kyougar
Woody Invincible

THE STAKES - YOU CHANGE YOUR AVATAR TO A PICTURE OF OLLY FOR A MONTH

O2p0kzy.png

Choose wisely.

Right now it's looking like we don't have a lot of faith in D&D, lol.

edit: no cheating if you've watched the leak or read spoilers :mad:

Since we're doing book rankings, I'll throw in my controversial opinion:
aGoT>aDwD>aSoS>aFFC>aCoK.

It's stupid, but I really, really don't like a Clash of Kings. Every other book I can think of at least 3-4 memorable moments, but aCoK I have maximum 3: Renly's assassination, Winterfell, and Blackwater. I feel like aCoK is what most people accuse aFFC/aDwD of being(Only the later is honestly missing a climax) in the guise of 90% setup, but upon re reads I found myself liking aFwD a lot more because of the prose and the nuances.

Dysun

ASOS > AGOT > ADWD > ACOK > AFFC

Absolutely loved everything in the North in ADWD, never understand the dislike for the book

Why would you tell the god of death "Not today."

Seems kind of sacrilegious.

He must be a playful sort.

Because you're refusing a gift.

So, my book rankings are: ASoS>aCoK (Theon's chapters blew me away, and I met the Mannis for the first time)>aGoT>aDWD (wish I could rank this higher, the Reek chapters are the apex of the series, IMO)>aFFC

Paganmoon

Man, I can't decide, go to bed now and wake up at 3 to catch the stream as soon as it's available, or try to stay up for 5 hours more....

Why would you tell the god of death "Not today."

Seems kind of sacrilegious.

He must be a playful sort.

It's kind of a challenge. The Braavosi respect death and seem him/her/it as a very normal and welcoming entity.
So death comes to you and you pretend to be Jack Sparrow, "Today was the day you almost caught <insert name here>"

I thought the harpies hurting Drogon with spears was lame as well, but I re-read the scene in the book and some guy stabs him with a spear and Drogon screams in pain there, too. He also screams in pain when Dany whips him.

Show Drogon also seemed much bigger than book Drogon, who only had a 20ft wingspan at that point.

I thought the harpies hurting Drogon with spears was lame as well, but I re-read the scene in the book and some guy stabs him with a spear and Drogon screams in pain there, too. He also screams in pain when Dany whips him.

Show Drogon also seemed much bigger than book Drogon, who only had a 20ft wingspan at that point.
it made drogon seem really easy to kill, if a couple of harpies did that much damage I don't see how formidable the dragon would be in a huge war with tons of enemies.

Massa

it made drogon seem really easy to kill, if a couple of harpies did that much damage I don't see how formidable the dragon would be in a huge war with tons of enemies.

He'll probably grow and level up some more, but in any case I think it's a good thing dragons aren't seen as invincible. You shouldn't be able to win a war with just dragons.

Maengun1

Because you're refusing a gift.

So, my book rankings are: ASoS>aCoK (Theon's chapters blew me away, and I met the Mannis for the first time)>aGoT>aDWD (wish I could rank this higher, the Reek chapters are the apex of the series, IMO)>aFFC

Cool, I also particularly love Theon chapters and think the Reek chapters are among the best in the series (definitely the best in ADWD by a huge margin).

I would probably rank AFFC a hair above ADWD overall though. Dance has higher highs but also lower lows for me, and Feast feels a bit more like a cohesive single book. Dance feels more like he's just throwing out random chapters IMO.

#teamOllyKills

That said, I'm only going to change my avatar if Olly actively steps in and saves Jon. "No guys please stop" is not going to cut it.

Kyougar

Regarding ollisaves:

I get that we Ollysaves guys have to get the I suck avatar, but why do the Ollystab guys have to wear the same? If he doesnt stab Jon, than he doesnt suck, right? Or is it because it was just a big big troll from D&D?

NSESN

Ok, here are the current standings. I may have missed a ton of posts, so if you aren't on the list make sure you include either "#teamOllyKills" or "#teamOllySaves" in your post so I can count it.

STAND AND BE COUNTED - FIVE HOURS REMAIN UNTIL JUDGMENT.

#teamOllyKills
m_shortpants
PfantzyPantz
Fuzzy
Jacob
Euron Crow's Eye
Atraveller
LordCanti
Violet_0
DToneli
graffix13
Dr_LucienSanchez
Pegasus Actual
iRAWRasaurus
CassSept
Patriots7
Ninja Beagle
spootime
Bubblicious
Shuggananas
Spikematic

#teamOllySaves
munchie64
phaonaut
Blatz
PhoenixDark
hammertomb
hoos30
Brakke
Dysun
Kain
Kyougar
Woody Invincible

THE STAKES - YOU CHANGE YOUR AVATAR TO A PICTURE OF OLLY FOR A MONTH

O2p0kzy.png

Choose wisely.

Right now it's looking like we don't have a lot of faith in D&D, lol.

edit: no cheating if you've watched the leak or read spoilers :mad:

i was almost forgetting
team olly kills

you forgot me

One more episode without major book spoilers...this is all I ask!

i hope too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom