• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

duckroll

Season 4 was the last great season imo. Three years ago.

That's fine if they weren't consistently getting worse.

Quality is much more subjective than intent. I'm not really interested in arguing about whether one thing is better than another because there are many elements which could make people prefer one season or one episode and another. What I'm talking about is tone and intent. The point is, for four years now, this is basically what GoT is - it's not nuanced, it's big and loud, it's pulp, and it's visual entertainment.

I'm not defending "season 7 is badly made", but I'm saying that claiming that this "isn't what Game of Thrones is" is outright incorrect now, because there are more seasons which are what it is now, than what people claim it isn't. Since it is getting more and more viewers, it is fair to say that audiences accept THIS as what Game of Thrones is.

Kain

This reminds me that the character doesn’t (yet?) exist in the books. There’s a Night’s King mentioned but it’s either another character entirely or the book version will have a very different origin story.

If I remember correctly the book NK was a former commander of the NW (and a Stark to boot) who married a WW. I don't doubt the origin of the WW might be the same, but the character certainly isn't.

Why is Littlefinger still alive? Is it because they are running out of familiar villains, and they are worried the NK will be boring? He has effectively done nothing this season apart from his usual pantomime sneery voice and sneaking. His role in the plot has become pretty marginalised but they are still keeping him around. Maybe he will be the casualty this season...

Anyway, the whole 'meet with Cersei/capture a White Walker' plot has been poor. After Season 6, which I very much enjoyed, this season has had some big plot points, but poorly written and delivered...

Azzanadra

x1qe63dq60hz.jpg

The death of Viserion especially seems like a big deal considering its not just 1 dragon, but 33.33% of the known Dragon population.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Quality is much more subjective than intent. I'm not really interested in arguing about whether one thing is better than another because there are many elements which could make people prefer one season or one episode and another. What I'm talking about is tone and intent. The point is, for four years now, this is basically what GoT is - it's not nuanced, it's big and loud, it's pulp, and it's visual entertainment.

I'm not defending "season 7 is badly made", but I'm saying that claiming that this "isn't what Game of Thrones is" is outright incorrect now, because there are more seasons which are what it is now, than what people claim it isn't. Since it is getting more and more viewers, it is fair to say that audiences accept THIS as what Game of Thrones is.

You can't say "This is why you've been watching the show!" if it's not the same level of quality. Intent isn't even a concrete thing. That assumes you can read the showrunner's minds and that everyone agrees that this is for the best.

If the content shifts, then the reasons for watching will too.

I thought Season 6 had a pretty good balance of spectacle and thoughtfulness, for mostly original material. It had some of the best episodes in the entire series. And, imo, the reveal of Jon Snow as Lyanna's son was expertly handled.

Macka

season 4 was the last great overall season but s6 still had the sept go boom and the battle of the bastards and those were solid single episodes
The cinematography and choreography of Battle of the Bastards was undeniably good, but I can't say I like the episode very much. I'm not a huge fan of Jon as a character, and by that point Ramsay had long been an evil Mary Sue that the show was using to kill off side characters it didn't want to deal with anymore. It was utterly predictable, too. Hard to have any tension when Jon had literally just come back to life. It's not as if he was going to die again when he's such a big part of the overall story.

Hardhome is the best pure battle sequence in the series imo.

What a weird thing to complain about. It's a cool and badass scene to show an army of zombies using chains to drag a dragon corpse out of the water for it to be reanimated. Right out of World of Warcraft or whatever.

excuse me while I thought todays episode was just fine, don't insult world of warcraft

in world of warcraft the Lich King stabs his sword in the ice and the dragon reanimates that way, much much 1000x cooler than chains.

The cinematography and choreography of Battle of the Bastards was undeniably good, but I can't say I like the episode very much. I'm not a huge fan of Jon as a character, and by that point Ramsay had long been an evil Mary Sue that the show was using to kill off side characters it didn't want to deal with anymore. It was utterly predictable, too. Hard to have any tension when Jon had literally just come back to life. It's not as if he was going to die again when he's such a big part of the overall story.

that's why seeing ramsay get the shit beaten out of him was even better :)

duckroll

You can't say "This is why you've been watching the show!" if it's not the same level of quality. Intent isn't even a concrete thing. That assumes you can read the showrunner's minds and that everyone agrees that this is for the best.

If the content shifts, then the reasons for watching will too.

You're shifting further and further from the context of the original comments:
Yeah I guess cool we'll get a fun ice dragon battle and a bunch other more battles... But that's not ever why I watched game of thrones. I could watch literally any other fantasy movie.
Given that there isn't any other pulp fantasy on television, and it didn't used to be pulp fantasy...

I think it's perfectly fine for people getting annoyed when it goes full on A Knight's Tale.

My point is that it has been pulp phantasy for 4 years now, and I think that is largely accurate. The end. I told you I'm not interested in debating quality in this context because it is not what I'm talking about.

excuse me while I thought todays episode was just fine, don't insult world of warcraft

in world of warcraft the Lich King stabs his sword in the ice and the dragon reanimates that way, much much 1000x cooler than chains.

My bad. I humbly apologize to Arthas-sama.

Snake

While I haven't genuinely enjoyed the show since season 4, I have always been self-critical enough to realize that my expectations and standards as a book reader are often completely unreasonable to apply to the show. For years, I have cringed at book readers complaining that their favorite scene wasn't done credit, and of course they have a hundred "favorite scenes," and often enough it usually boils down to the fact that they wanted the text adapted 100% faithfully, which is not what a TV show based on a series of books is obligated to be nor often what it should be.

This time, however, I can't help but judge this episode–its decisions, dialogue, and directing–as being a genuine disappointment on almost every level.

First, the material in Winterfell was bad. Very bad. Easily the most obnoxious plotline that Arya or Sansa have ever had. And they've had plenty of bad ones over the years. The potential reunion of the Stark children has always been a major point of interest in the series. The show then reunited everyone in about two episodes, and it came to nothing with absolutely no emotional stakes. And then they shoehorn in this lazy Littlefinger scheme which, no matters what clichéd outcome happens, is inevitably going to be terrible. It's not a good thing when you're actively dreading the next scenes of several main characters.

90% of the complaining about characters traveling too fast from place to place has always been in the realm of "you're technically right, but this is television as opposed to a bunch of thousand-page books and they have legitimate reasons for expedience." These however, were genuinely the most absurd Travel Time Shenanigans in the series and even I couldn't forgive it. Gendry runs back all the way Eastwatch to have someone send a raven, someone writes a message and sends it out, the raven flies all the way to Dragonstone, Dany debates whether she should go, then leaves and makes it all the way from Dragonstone to north of The Wall to save them in the nick of time. This whole series of events was treated as if it could not possibly have taken more than a few hours, which simply doesn't work. It makes it feel like Dany could have flown in and conquered Westeros two seasons ago in the course of 3 episodes tops.

One of the dragons dying is one of the few things I don't take issue with in the episode. To put it simply, Dany was using her dragons too much, and it felt like they could solve anything, and now the show has pushed back. Does this resemble how she might lose one of her dragons in the books? We'll never know, but it's far from the worst thing the show has done. Unfortunately, the direction did not do it much justice.

The scenes of Jon repeatedly trying to preserve the wight they were bringing back were nonsense, with people dying all around them and thousands of undead to choose from. The fighting was also pretty terrible all around, with Jorah and The Hound in particular coming off as helpless and having no business being there in the first place. Then the direction of Jon continuing to go out and fight instead of simply getting on the dragon and allowing them to fly off made it seem like he was directly at fault by stalling long enough to allow a dragon to be killed. Just really obnoxious directing all around. And somehow, somehow, Dany arriving north of The Wall with her dragons was not at all exciting. Perhaps the most anticipated concept in the whole series, and it just happened, and it was a fizzle. The abbreviated season hurt here no doubt, but the direction was clearly a failure as well.

Then, in a span of about 45 seconds, Benjen shows up, saves Jon, decides he can't ride on the horse too for some reason, and is killed off ignominiously. This was the capper that really solidified this episode's failure.

Pkaz01

Season 6 gave me hope for the series (outside of the braavos plot) season 7 is has been a mixed bag but a major dip in quality like 5 was after 4. Or maybe 6 just seemed better cause 5 was so bad

While I haven't genuinely enjoyed the show since season 4, I have always been self-critical enough to realize that my expectations and standards as a book reader are often completely unreasonable to apply to the show. For years, I have cringed at book readers complaining that their favorite scene wasn't done credit, and of course they have a hundred "favorite scenes," and often enough it usually boils down to the fact that they wanted the text adapted 100% faithfully, which is not what a TV show based on a series of books is obligated to be nor often what it should be.

This time, however, I can't help but judge this episode–its decisions, dialogue, and directing–as being a genuine disappointment on almost every level.

First, the material in Winterfell was bad. Very bad. Easily the most obnoxious plotline that Arya or Sansa have ever had. And they've had plenty of bad ones over the years. The potential reunion of the Stark children has always been a major point of interest in the series. The show then reunited everyone in about two episodes, and it came to nothing with absolutely no emotional stakes. And then they shoehorn in this lazy Littlefinger scheme which, no matters what clichéd outcome happens, is inevitably going to be terrible. It's not a good thing when you're actively dreading the next scenes of several main characters.

90% of the complaining about characters traveling too fast from place to place has always been in the realm of "you're technically right, but this is television as opposed to a bunch of thousand-page books and they have legitimate reasons for expedience." These however, were genuinely the most absurd Travel Time Shenanigans in the series and even I couldn't forgive it. Gendry runs back all the way Eastwatch to have someone send a raven, someone writes a message and sends it out, the raven flies all the way to Dragonstone, Dany debates whether she should go, then leaves and makes it all the way from Dragonstone to north of The Wall to save them in the nick of time. This whole series of events was treated as if it could not possibly have taken more than a few hours, which simply doesn't work. It makes it feel like Dany could have flown in and conquered Westeros two seasons ago in the course of 3 episodes tops.

One of the dragons dying is one of the few things I don't take issue with in the episode. To put it simply, Dany was using her dragons too much, and it felt like they could solve anything, and now the show has pushed back. Does this resemble how she might lose one of her dragons in the books? We'll never know, but it's far from the worst thing the show has done. Unfortunately, the direction did not do it much justice.

The scenes of Jon repeatedly trying to preserve the wight they were bringing back were nonsense, with people dying all around them and thousands of undead to choose from. The fighting was also pretty terrible all around, with Jorah and The Hound in particular coming off as helpless and having no business being there in the first place. Then the direction of Jon continuing to go out and fight instead of simply getting on the dragon and allowing them to fly off made it seem like he was directly at fault by stalling long enough to allow a dragon to be killed. Just really obnoxious directing all around. And somehow, somehow, Dany arriving north of The Wall with her dragons was not at all exciting. Perhaps the most anticipated concept in the whole series, and it just happened, and it was a fizzle. The abbreviated season hurt here no doubt, but the direction was clearly a failure as well.

Then, in a span of about 45 seconds, Benjen shows up, saves Jon, decides he can't ride on the horse too for some reason, and is killed off ignominiously. This was the capper that really solidified this episode's failure.

Basically agree with all of this except for The Hound and Jorah being a waste of space. After The Hound's reluctance to take on the undead bear he was pretty efficient at killing wights.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My point is that it has been pulp phantasy for 4 years now, and I think that is largely accurate. The end. I told you I'm not interested in debating quality in this context because it is not what I'm talking about.

I'm merely saying you can't make a statement like that and ever expect it to hold water. The end.

duckroll

Yeah this is totally spot on. The action was really nonsensical in terms of logic. That's what made this so much less enjoyable than Watchers on the Wall, Hardhome, or Battle of the Bastards. Once the fighting started, it's like everyone was just focused on bad tasks that made no sense. They might have captured one wight before getting cornered, but after getting cornered, WHO GIVES A SHIT? Survival is more important and there are wights all around them. Why did they need that specific one? Why did Jon keep fighting after the dragon arrived? Just silly.

Season 8 needs to be a huge step up in battles.

I'm merely saying you can't make a statement like that and ever expect it to hold water. The end.

You haven't really argued how it hasn't been pulp phantasy since season 4. You've just gone from "this show wasn't pulp phantasy" to "well okay but the quality dropped!!!!" so...

Chuckie

It's strange how Drogon dwarfs his siblings to such an extent.

Was the growth of the other two dragons stunted because of how long they were chained up under the pyramid?

Well Drogon is indeed a lot bigger. But I also think the dragon on that poster is tiny because it is fanmade.

Apt101

I agree that Dany's arrival and time at the Wall was a bit wasted. No humorously keen insight from Dolorous Edd as he and the men of the Watch stared up at them sailing overhead? Nothing?

dabig2

people are complaining that gendry got to the wall and managed to send a raven and that the dragons+dany made it up to jon whilst they were still in the circle and that they teleported or something

so yes

I would say alot of people have that as their main gripe. The person I was arguing with definitely had that gripe.

Symptoms of a much larger problem - that being that the plot that set up these situations to even happen is fucking garbage. Sure it's easier to complain about the contrivances, ,but what I think most people are down on is how we got to those points that the only way for D&D to resolve their own story this episode is through bullshit like Gendry's entire purpose being to run back and tell Dany that their shit mission turned to shit, mach 2 ravens, and two "in the nick of time" bullshit saving moments in the span of 5 minutes. That chain was also dumb. Jon putting himself way out there to kill some straggling fodder is beyond even hurrrr Jon is Stark dumb huurr" and...whatever. fuck it.

The setup and planning of this episode (and overall season) sucked. The direction sucked, and the acting outside of a minute or two of fun bantering was meh.

Joni

You know, next episode I want to see Sansa and Littlefinger go to battle with Arya, and then the dragons just land with Jon and Dany on top. Bonus points if Drogon squishes Littlefinger and Jon goes good boy.
And you know, all that bending the knee nonsense goes away when these two just marry. It is the only available marriage alliance and they are both the same age and equally hot.

What the fuck Arya, Jon, Sansa, Dany and Beric!?!

Idiots all of em.

why is beric an idiot?

but yes, jon running away from the dragon is possibly the stupidest thing a show character has done so far and I understand that he's no einstein

it just made zero fucking sense

Moff

very underwhelming
why did the NK not spear them instead of waiting the whole night? it's obvious D&D do not think a lot about what they are writing
why did the NK not spear Drogon, who was right in front of him, full of other targets? simply dramatic effect that made no sense

the dumbest thing though, Benjen being like: "Hey what's up nephew. Nah, I'm not coming with you, I'm just gonna die right here, have a nice day."
It reminded me of Whitakers Character in Rogue one who refused to flee with the others and decided to just die. WHY? Come on.

very underwhelming
why did the NK not spear them instead of waiting the whole night? it's obvious D&D do not think a lot about what they are writing
why did the NK not spear Drogon, who was right in front of him, full of other targets? simply dramatic effect that made no sense

the dumbest thing though, Benjen being like: "Hey what's up nephew. Nah, I'm not coming with you, I'm just gonna die right here, have a nice day."
It reminded me of Whitakers Character in Rogue one who refused to flee with the others and decided to just die. WHY? Come on.
there's definitely a tv tropes article for the latter floating around somewhere

it happens way too often and it bugged me with R1 too

I figured that he'd be too heavy on the horse or something and I could deal with that, but he literally just said there was no time lol

more egregious is benjen popping up right there at that exact moment and somehow making it through the entire WW army

dabig2

very underwhelming

For point 1, it's possible the NK knew the dragons were coming and that he needed the crew alive so that Drogon would be preocuppied with the rescue instead of burning them all down. But atm, it's just classic bad guy syndrome where they have the good guys cornered and could kill them but choose not to due to hubris or just not caring enough to put any effort into it.

Point 2, the other dragon was the more immediate threat. But he should've had that other spear ready immediately after the 1st one and he could've ended this show in a mere 5 seconds, especially if he can see the future. Dude was taking his sweet time there, almost like he read the script.

The Benjen thing pisses me off. 1 line of dialog could have saved that despite the whole last minute save being a dumb overused trope - "I'm dead too and can't pass through the Wall. But I can at least buy you some time. Go".

Sanctuary

From a spectacle standpoint, this was another good episode. The logic behind it failed on so many levels though, and it was one of the first where I found myself groaning inside with how preditctable everything about it was.

Had a friend watching it with me, and he said (it was obvious) that their only way out would be dragons to the rescue. I said though that either the reason the dead are all standing around waiting is a) the White Walker leader wants to try to turn them in the way that makes them not just mindless drones or b) it's nothing more than a setup for a dramatic entrance of fire from above.

Well, they proved that the army wasn't waiting around due to any fear of the ice, since all it took was a rock to the face to provoke them all. They just happened to have been provoked a few minutes before the teleporting dragons (that arrived due to the warp speed raven-o-gram) swooped in ala Return of the King and saved the day. We both also said "Someone is getting a new addition to the army" when all three dragons took off initially. And yeah, not spearing Drogon when they had an eternity to do it (also, why was Drogon simply crying instead of frying all of those in front of him?) was pretty dumb, but of course the heroes had to escape. Can't kill them all off at once.

I'm going to have to rewatch it again and do an actual count, but it seemed like any time someone needed to die, they would spawn a random wildling that wasn't there with them before. So when they needed deaths, of course it was always the extras and not the heroes until drama dictated it. Also, Benjen gave him all of what, a ten second lead because him jumping up on the horse would have somehow slowed them down too much? Stupid.

Aiii

So not worth it
Also, I'm going to have to rewatch it again and do an actual count, but it seemed like any time someone needed to die, they would spawn a random wildling that wasn't there with them before. So when they needed deaths, of course it was always the extras and not the heroes until drama dictated it.

Of course only the redshirts die.

The main characters are indestructible now that the actual author has stopped giving a shit and giving them some "shocking" twists.

I mean, the most notable death was a dragon whose only purpose up until now was "fly around in the background while the bottom bitch dragon does actual things."

mantidor

Basically agree with all of this except for The Hound and Jorah being a waste of space. After The Hound's reluctance to take on the undead bear he was pretty efficient at killing wights.

The hound got scared of the wight bear because it was on fire, not because it was a wight bear.

Which really reminds me this eggregious bad thing in the episode, which had a lot of egregious stupid shit to begin with, and it's all this characters who have never seen wights, whitewalkers or dragons have zero reaction to them.

Moff

the good news is, I am actually excited for the finale. I never really liked that plan to convince cersei to an armistice by bringing her a wight, but all bets are pretty much off for the finale, anything could happen. I really hope zombie mountain gets turned, that would be an incredible scene.

Sanctuary

The hound got scared of the wight bear because it was on fire, not because it was a wight bear.

Which really reminds me this eggregious bad thing in the episode, which had a lot of egregious stupid shit to begin with, and it's all this characters who have never seen wights, whitewalkers or dragons have zero reaction to them.

I didn't really find that to be completely unbelievable compared to most of the other issues, especially when their entire mission was to grab one of the things they had been warned about and had described to them numerous times. They weren't going to just stand around trembling. The bear should have been all the time they needed to acclimate to the fact that this shit was real. They weren't just like "Oh, it's just an undead polar bear, no biggie".

Have they ever explained why the dying rules in this show aren't similar to The Walking Dead? Is it simply the White Walker leaders raising corpses in their general area as they pass through, or is it that the land is enchanted up north but the rest of the world is not? I know they did the flashbacks with the Children of the Forest, but I don't recall it being thoroughly explained.

This is what bugged me. When these guys see the wights or the Night King, they should have shat themselves, and same goes for the dragons.

Shahadan

At least Tormund looked kind of freaked out by the dragon for a second. And he's already seen shit.

He was basically the only one.
I was pretty bummed by the lack of reaction to anything. Even Dany when her dragon got one shot, she could have as well been watching someone take a shit on the iron throne. I don't know, scream, move, show something.

We got a few tears out of her well later but at first I thought she was happy that Jon woke up, lol
Also for the amount of screen time they used to show Clegane's fear of fire again, I thought he was going to show some guilt or remorse about not helping Thoros and causing his death

Sanctuary

This is what bugged me. When these guys see the wights or the Night King, they should have shat themselves, and same goes for the dragons.

Not really. All of them have "seen shit" most people haven't. It might have tested their resolve briefly, but it would have passed. They already knew dragons were real though before ever seeing them. Even though they are still awe inspiring, it's not like it was a reality check like the undead would have been. Plus, do we know for sure that most of them had not seen any of them flying around before this point?

Episode 7:

Sansa: You see Lord Baelish I know exactly what sort of man you are. The sort of man I knew you were at least 7 episodes ago! NOW DIE!

Part of me hopes he's going to actually manage to pull something off and fuck up Winterfell, just for a bit of wildcard action. Maybe with some Ozymandias "I did it thirty-five minutes ago" shit going down.

The scenes of Jon repeatedly trying to preserve the wight they were bringing back were nonsense, with people dying all around them and thousands of undead to choose from.

I think the nonsense really starts from the original idea of bringing a wight to King's Landing, and establish peace talks with freaking Cersei, in King's Landing from all places. Everyone and their mother who watches the series knows things will go South, be with the Wight or with Cersei laying a trap. It's so obvious.

dabig2

I think the nonsense really starts from the original idea of bringing a wight to King's Landing, and establish peace talks with freaking Cersei, in King's Landing from all places. Everyone and their mother who watches the series knows things will go South, be with the Wight or with Cersei laying a trap. It's so obvious.

It's nonsense so they can keep Headey going into S8 as I doubt she's going to bite it next week. They already believe themselves to be on a massive time crunch. The time it takes to take KL and depose/kill Cersei, especially after kicking Lannister ass during the Spoils of War, would've taken less time than this dumb ass hail mary of a plan which requires them to traverse the continent and into undead territory with a sparse group and limited supplies/transportation. Hindsight is 20/20 and they couldn't know that they would've traded a wright for a damn dragon, but regardless it was still stupid.

Shahadan

Especially since Cersei knows dead people are real, she has one as a pet. Why would she be afraid or shocked. She will fuck up everything as usual.

If anything she'll want to use the Night King's army, lol

They are screwing up Arya sooo bad this season.

Now hope she dies. Team Sansa.

Arya is the worst part of the season.

They have nullified all what she supposedly learned in her training. She was trained in more than stab things, in theory. She was shown how to observe, how to think. She also should have matured a bit, living alone for that much time in the real world.

But instead we had zero subtlety on her part, zero capacity for insight. She discovered her fighting skills to everyone because... uh... she wanted to look cool I guess?
And then the shameful tailing LF mission. And then she was easily manipulated by LF. And zero understanding of Sansa.
And of course the cringey edgy Arya in the last scene, eww.

mantidor

Not really. All of them have "seen shit" most people haven't. It might have tested their resolve briefly, but it would have passed. They already knew dragons were real though before ever seeing them. Even though they are still awe inspiring, it's not like it was a reality check like the undead would have been. Plus, do we know for sure that most of them had not seen any of them flying around before this point?

The problem is that it's a plot point, it's the whole plot point actually, to show it to Cersei and Kings Landing. Even Dany says that you need to see it to "really know", they don't need to be trembling for the whole episode but a 10 sec shot of them in awe/shock at this supernatural stuff would have been enough. Even Jon drops to the ground when he sees a dragon for the first time, and he literally died and was resurrected.

I had so much hope for this episode given the way the previous one ended, with like, the Westeros Avengers setting off to kick ass north of the Wall.

What I watched was like bad fan fiction. I have never been so aware of character plot armour, or "in the interest of time" teleporting around continents. Did I miss something or were there at least two nameless characters with them just to die they didn't have to kill off too many important people?

I was painfully aware before I saw the rest of the episode that the multitude of scenes of the Westeros Avengers trudging around and having witty exchanges was forced service. You can't have that many scenes of people just walking and chatting from different angles in such a short space of time without it coming across stupid. This is the sort of episode that should have been spaced out over two if not three episodes. As it happens, the events of the episode (bar the pointless death of Benjen) were fine. But the ridiculous speed at which things unfolded took away so much of the gravitas.

As someone else said already, there's no time to stop and appreciate the fact that Dany has actually flown over the wall, it's just a thing that happens now.

Top Bottom