• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn's PS5 debut 28% weaker than Concord

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueLegend

They named it wrong , they should have named it Until Dawn Horizon 285K Something cuz that's how shit be selling these days.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  • Original came out just 9 years ago
  • Remake looks fine but isn't some gargantuan leap over the original's visuals
  • Original was already a bit of a niche title despite selling pretty well
  • Remake got bad reviews, sitting at a 69 review average
  • Remake is known to have poor performance and bugs
  • Remake came out at the same time as a much better reviewed and much more highly anticipated remake in Silent Hill 2
  • Remake was priced at $59.99

Like is anyone fucking surprised? What the hell was Sony thinking? It would've been a MUCH smarter idea to just remaster the original for PS5 and release it on PC for $39.99 or something. Would've sold just as well if not more at a fraction of the investment.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
A game that can do worse than Concord?

samuel l jackson cat GIF

diffusionx

Gold Member
Serious question, are you guys new to PlayStation? This is like your usual PS1-PS4 first-party mega bomba with zero marketing behind, and Until Dawn, just like these, has nothing close to a high budget.
bomba after bomba is a sign the decision making process at this company is broken, which shouldn't be surprising to anyone following it.

I don't think this was necessarily cheap to make and it was released to give a boost to the upcoming movie, I doubt the people working on that are happy right now.

nial

bomba after bomba is a sign the decision making process at this company is broken, which shouldn't be surprising to anyone following it.

I don't think this was necessarily cheap to make and it was released to give a boost to the upcoming movie, I doubt the people working on that are happy right now.
You know Astro Bot was released inbetween, right?
Plus, bomba after bomba was even more of a thing in the past, and I didn't see anyone claiming the company was broken back then. Oh wait, I did, and it was as ridiculous as it is today, the same way I see posts from 2008 claiming that Sony focuses too much on hardware and that PSP had no games.
Bolded, this is not as strong of a point you think it is, and it mostly supports the idea of it being a cheap and quick project to be ready in time for the movie. Don't you remember Ratchet and Clank on PS4? It was very, VERY cheap and rushed to the market as well.

//DEVIL//

This is music to my ears to be honest.

More flops . Sony will either get their shit together or they keep bleeding money.

Not a single person asked for this. Not even die hard fans. Or the remastered horizon fat ho.

They keep pushing to milk more money from gamers in this cheap way and gamers are noticing and fighting back with their wallet.

Whoever greenlit these projects needs to be fired. No questions about it.

Don’t come online on twitter like that Ubisoft queer and blame gamers for poor sales. Blame yourself for shitty project

These idiots forgot the most important thing, they want our money. Our money leave our pockets when you create something that we want. Not the other way around.

Last edited:

tmlDan

bought it haven't had time to play it, player tracking data is flawed with this approach and shouldn't be used as proper info.

Either way, i didn't expect it to be popular

yurinka

bought it haven't had time to play it, player tracking data is flawed with this approach and shouldn't be used as proper info.
Yep, players trackers are normally crap to estimate sales particularly in early days or when based on trophies. The only early reliable data for sales is the sales/top grossing ranking of each store, which in case of Sony shows the top 10 grossing games in each PSN store.

But that only helps to know if the specific game managed to be a top seller game, so isn't useful for niche games.

These numbers should reveal that, remastering the last generation is not a win! Such weird random titles to remaster too.
Their numbers reveal this is the top grossing PlayStation generation and that they are having now more profits than in all the previous generations combined.

Their strategy is very successful and doesn't imply that all their releases must be supersellers at launch. Some stuff is just to cover a niche or a catalog spot in the mid/long term and just a part in a bigger puzzle (as could be here to build their PC catalog and to have the previous game fresh for when they release the movie or announce the sequel).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1. its almost the same story (heard there are new areas and ending but meh)
2. Its the worst version
3. I heard its 30fps on ps5.

I did not play the remake but i completed the original one, i dont even bother buying it.

It's not just 30 fps, it's a very bad 30fps. Lots of drops.

Very poor effort considering it's not even using any of the Lumen tech.

I’ve never played until dawn…should I just wait for sale + patch for 60 fps?

Just get the original, it's $10 or less on plenty of retailers, runs at a flawless 60fps.

The only reason I'm playing it right now is cause of an active gamefly sub, I would never pay money, especially full retail, for this.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Yep, players trackers are normally crap to estimate sales particularly in early days or when based on trophies. The only early reliable data for sales is the sales/top grossing ranking of each store, which in case of Sony shows the top 10 grossing games in each PSN store.

But that only helps to know if the specific game managed to be a top seller game, so isn't useful for niche games.

Their numbers reveal this is the top grossing PlayStation generation and that they are having now more profits than in all the previous generations combined.

Their strategy is very successful and doesn't imply that all their releases must be supersellers at launch. Some stuff is just to cover a niche or a catalog spot in the mid/long term and just a part in a bigger puzzle (as could be here to build their PC catalog and to have the previous game fresh for when they release the movie or announce the sequel).
I'll look at what else is in that list. Are you buying the game?

Roufianos

Such a pathetic release on so many fronts. I get why Sony remastered PS3 games, since the popularity of PS4 brought a new audience, but do they really think there's some big audience on PS5 that missed this first time around?

I've played the game twice and have no desire to go back to it. I know there's choices but it's a story heavy game, there's nothing that a remake is going to enhance on the game play front.

Not to mention that it's full price and doesn't improve on the original.

Could have had Bloodborne, Socom, Resistence or Killzone instead.

Unknown?

Doubt it cost much, the engine and source material were already done.

NickFire

The price kept me from even thinking about picking it up. If they had done the 10 upgrade thing I would have been tempted.

yurinka

I'll look at what else is in that list. Are you buying the game?
I got it in PS4. I won't pay the current price, I would have jumped day one if a $10 upgrade would have been available.

I'll wait until it's $20 or less, or included in PS+.

...or how about new IP's? Enough with the remasters!!
Half of their games under development are new IPs. In recent months they released Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade or the first big Astro for flat tvs, plus the tanked Concord.

There is no big publisher who bets more on new IP than Sony, and only Ubisoft comes relatively close.

Last edited:

keefged4

A remake that noone asked for? And it looks orders of magnitude worse than the original? ..and you're telling me no one bought it? How can this be

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
May do that if the new game doesn’t get patched. No rush to play it

This project is very odd
I think SIE just lend this IP to some random devs aka ballistic moon and told them "just remaster this game, do whatever you like, we need some additional cash"

Ceadeus

I got it in PS4. I won't pay the current price, I would have jumped day one if a $10 upgrade would have been available.

I'll wait until it's $20 or less, or included in PS+.

Half of their games under development are new IPs. In recent months they released Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade or the first big Astro for flat tvs, plus the tanked Concord.

There is no big publisher who bets more on new IP than Sony, and only Ubisoft comes relatively close.
A 10 dollars upgrade for previous owner could have been a thing. The price is preventing you from buying it. It'll prevent other owner as well. For non owner, why would they suddenly see this game cover once again after so little years and now be interested? They were not before on PS4.

In my mind, you would put ressources to remaster a game that'll really benefit from the newer gen or it was a very successful game and is promised to sell.

There's just nothing much going for it, also with Silent Hill 2 , the game had no chance at all. I might be missing something though.

As a PC gamer who likes the other Supermassive games, I'm glad this one made it to PC, but I can understand why this is not a good value proposition for people who already played it on PS4.

Honestly it's quite a good remake in many ways - the visuals can be stunning, and the presentation is very slick. They actually put some effort into the menus and UI and stuff, which is rare for modern games.

Pejo

I'm not buying a remaster for 60 bucks on PC (I own but never played the PS4 version), but I'm definitely interested when it hits $25~. I heard the performance is rough and they made some of the character(s)? less morally grey, which hurt the narrative a bit. I haven't personally experienced either of those things though, so it's just just what I heard.

I think Steam in general is pretty mad about the forced PSN sign in thing.

Holammer

Looks like a bit of a dud, but it was likely a pretty cheap port. Someone changed the color grading here and there... and presto! Remaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom