• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn's PS5 debut 28% weaker than Concord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
right. 'synergy'. 'a far-sighted investment in the future'. like an friggin' until dawn movie is even gonna be all that big a deal...
Give it enough budget, huge marketing and popular actors and everything can be a success. That piece of trash Uncharted movie made big money.

How can you be weaker than concord and still stand up. I mean those people were way out of shape.
That's like a dehydrated vegan on a texas cattle ranch.

Mahavastu

I’ve never played until dawn…should I just wait for sale + patch for 60 fps?
The original game was IMHO part of the PS Plus collection after the launch of the PS5.
So if you just claimed all of those games and the PS4 version is "good enough" for you, you may already be able to play it

Last edited:

midnightAI

I shouldn't say this I know, but I hope more bombs are to come for Sony. Horizon Remastered next please.
Not likely, it's a tenner, the issue here is the price is much too high, everyone who wants this game mostly already has it, and this remake while 'technically' is more up to date just looks worse (in my opinion) mainly due to the change in lighting (changing from cold lighting, which is a horror genre trait, to warm lighting just kills it for me)

I really like the original but I'd never buy this, especially at that price, yet I have pre ordered Zero Dawn Remaster and I bet I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

Doom85

Gold Member
Ice Cube Movie GIF

Honestly this was destined to have a low amount of customers. I loved Until Dawn, but nearly a decade later, I can’t imagine there are many people left still wanting to replay it often enough to warrant upgrading like this. Yes, there are some options to affect certain outcomes for the characters, but at the end of the day you’re basically playing the same story each playthrough.

xrnzaaas

Doesn't make sense to pay 60 dollars on PlayStation. The original runs better, still looks good and can be bought extremely cheap.

PC is where the majority of the purchases should be.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
They could've just released it alongside it, then, and capitalize off the hype.

It's so interesting to see people opine on things they don't know about.

Do you know how difficult it is to time a release of a movie, especially with the writer/actor's strike that just happened?

At best Sony could have sat on the game for another year, but the studio who developed doesn't have that luxury. They needed to get it out for Halloween month and get as much revenue as they can.

When the movie comes out, the game will probably sell more copies. When the movie hits streaming, it'll have even more exposure. It makes sens to release the game now, get the movie out for summer, and on streaming before next Halloween month.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
Most people probably have the original .. this was another not needed remaster.

Remakes or remasters should only be for wildly popular very old games.
Or even better, the devs should ask themselves, what could we do that can improve our game in a significant way that make the purchase worthwhile, beyond just graphics and performance?

Shin-Ra

Can’t hold a smooth 30fps.
Poorly encoded video content that should be realtime rendered.
Bugs!
I think they removed the bokeh depth of field in some scenes but I’ve only seen snippets.

Compare and contrast with the amazing Demon’s Souls remake from four years ago. More and more, SIE/WWS are just chucking games out without a care for their quality. Reminds me of Xbox.

elbourreau

Nobody asked for this. Nobody wanted for this.

This remake is a VERY SH**Y move.

On a more personnal note, I'm crying seeing all those hundred ofmillions spent on disaster games nobody will play, when small indie studio struggle just to bring 150k budget for the game (publisher are stepping down every invest and financing rn...). Pisses me of

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hopefully this has zero effect on the sequel, but it does send the message that people don't want one which is a shame.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
That’s why we need competition from Xbox.
I mean, it's there. Up to consumers to actually buy it, and they're just not. No one can claim it's not competition to have Call of Duty, Stalker 2, Indiana Jones all lined up in GP for the next 3 months plus whatever else they add for less than the cost of this remake. It's not MS fault people just want to keep buying Sony no matter what. This is what they want.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

Neophyte
Nobody asked for this. Nobody wanted for this.

This remake is a VERY SH**Y move.

On a more personnal note, I'm crying seeing all those hundred ofmillions spent on disaster games nobody will play, when small indie studio struggle just to bring 150k budget for the game (publisher are stepping down every invest and financing rn...). Pisses me of
This and also, Sony has a lot great games locked behind the older consoles that could do with a remake/remaster. I'm not even talking about bringing them up to cutting edge. Even just a higher standard of graphics and controls (PS3/360/PS4) etc would do wonders. Yet, they remake a game that still looks and plays fine and is accessible already.

Can I ask what the part in bold means?

TGO

But as people have already said, releasing days before Silent Hill 2 was a big mistake.

djjinx2

Give it enough budget, huge marketing and popular actors and everything can be a success. That piece of trash Uncharted movie made big money.

I enjoyed Uncharted movie, leave your brain at home. Sully was cast wrongly but still.

I would watch Until Dawn also, but fuck a remake game. Not needed (I enjoyed the original)

TGO

Not to mention, literally releasing it at the same time of your other marketed game in Silent Hill 2.

Who made that boneheaded decision?
Yeah I really don't see any situation where this would have turn out good with Silent Hill 2 shadowing over you.

that piece of trash uncharted movie was based on a triple-a, well established playstation game franchise. apples & oranges...

People made fun of TLOU remakes and remasters as well...and then the show happened lol.
remakes/remasters, yeah. but no one made fun of either the last of us or the last of us 2, both considered landmark accomplishments in game development. again, apples & oranges...

we're talking about a flawed remake of a 9-year old playstation title that hit 79 on metacritic that's somehow supposed to synergystically come together with a movie version releasing next year to create a new media sensation/major franchise? notice please that the 2 examples above already were major gaming franchises to begin with...

Because nobody asked for it. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the meetings at Sony. I can't even imagine how they even get to thinking remaking this was a good idea. People are literally begging for a Bloodborne remaster. Most people would pay for it just to run at 60. They must be inandated with requests for it but yet they end up remaking games like this. It makes no sense. More brain fart than brain storm.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I have never played the original and don't intend on playing this but has a remaster ever done that great?

This is a remake, but yes, tons of them have. Resident Evil 2/3/4, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy VII Remake, etc.. etc..

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
But as people have already said, releasing days before Silent Hill 2 was a big mistake.

Not to mention, literally releasing it at the same time of your other marketed game in Silent Hill 2.

Who made that boneheaded decision?

Most people here thought Silent Hill 2 was going to be a disaster because of Bloober team... Now hindsight is kicking in?

The reality is that you had to release this in October. It's where twitch and youtube streamers are going to play the game. That's your advertising.

I enjoyed Uncharted movie, leave your brain at home. Sully was cast wrongly but still.

I would watch Until Dawn also, but fuck a remake game. Not needed (I enjoyed the original)

I think a lot of people just are struggling with the fact that this remake was cheap to make and the movie will also be cheap to make.

Making a Killzone or Resistance movie? Not cheap.

A successful movie will be the most marketing this game could get.

Bernardougf

Im shocked... shocked I say.

Put a "50 games to remake" list to 10.000 playstation fans from the ps1 era trough now and see in how many fucking lists Until Down even pops up....

Sony is clueless this gen. Clueless.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Most people here thought Silent Hill 2 was going to be a disaster because of Bloober team... Now hindsight is kicking in?
Not I. The game would have sold on nostalgia title alone.

Regardless, it's a certified banger, and we are not Sony marketing. Sony didn't think SH2 was going to bomb, to release these 2 days apart is just silly. With all the issues that Until Dawn has, it could have used a bit more time in the oven which also would have given it competition breathing room.

Last edited:

Astray

The game is not lighting the charts on fire but I swear to god TrueAchievements ans TrueTrophies are trash sources to get any kind of useful data from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom