• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
XRGB FM Coming in tomorrow or monday (assuming no weekend delivery, I can't figure out what it is now since we got a package last sunday). Pretty pumped. Got everything else I need already.

So I need a SCART switch box with 4-5 inputs for my systems.
I can't seem to find any for sale online that aren't complete trash.
I've also only even seen like 3 that were actually available.
All the recommended ones I see from places like video game perfection are all discontinued...

What am I supposed to do?
I really don't want to pay $130 for that custom fan made 8 input device because I will NEVER use more than 5 ports, period.
Should I be looking for a used one at this point?
I assume you looked at the Bandridge already?

Ocaso

Here to ask the question I ask every so often:

Any Framemeister equivalent for a price that isnt stupid?

I took a couple of hits for the team to research this. I tried out a very cheap ~$35 Portta upscaler and a more expensive one from Coosis (~$75). The Portta one did its job and was reasonably lag free but screwed up aspect ratio and still deinterlaced 240p. The Coosis one preserved aspect ratio but had even worse deinterlacing artifacts and lag to boot. End result: I now own a Framemeister. The difference in image quality and feature set is night and day, and given the relative weakness of the yen recently, it's the cheapest it's ever been to import.

Khaz

So I need a SCART switch box with 4-5 inputs for my systems.
I can't seem to find any for sale online that aren't complete trash.
I've also only even seen like 3 that were actually available.
All the recommended ones I see from places like video game perfection are all discontinued...

What am I supposed to do?
I really don't want to pay $130 for that custom fan made 8 input device because I will NEVER use more than 5 ports, period.
Should I be looking for a used one at this point?

You'll be safe with any switch box that doesn't come with it's own cabling.

This is good:
scart-switch-box-3-way--218-p.jpg

This isn't:
107_407.jpg

Scart problems are with the cables, a box without cable shouldn't have any problem. You just need a solid Scart cable to connect your box to your TV. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MMONQ8/ is good, you want them to be sturdy and thick, it's an indication of individual shielding. Additional props if it has a ferrite bead. Finally you don't want it longer than needed.

I browsed Amazon for a bit and there seems to be some shortage of 5way switch boxes, I could only find 3ways. Mind you these things come and go. If it doesn't bother you you can safely daisy chain them. As long as the cable between them is good you shouldn't have any problem.

Bleeether

I bought 2 BVM-D20F1U units complete with control units for $160-$170 like a year ago. The D shouldn't do as much for the price as a seller would think, so just stay in contact with him till he is willing to go lower on it. Basically the D means that it was sold with the added HD expansion card in the back that isn't really of much use to the market we are in now, retro gaming. It also may mean that they have the 16:9 screen mask that you can just pop off to see the full screen. The unit itself will be more ugly that way so its better if you can find a 4:3 screen mask around.

Hey thanks for the advice, he called me back asking me to make him an offer and i told him i'd have to think about it so i'll call him back and offer $100 and try to get it around $125.

RetroReid

I assume you looked at the Bandridge already?

I would definitely get the Bandridge if I could find it available!

You'll be safe with any switch box that doesn't come with it's own cabling.

This is good:
scart-switch-box-3-way--218-p.jpg

This isn't:
107_407.jpg

Scart problems are with the cables, a box without cable shouldn't have any problem. You just need a solid Scart cable to connect your box to your TV. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MMONQ8/ is good, you want them to be sturdy and thick, it's an indication of individual shielding. Additional props if it has a ferrite bead. Finally you don't want it longer than needed.

I browsed Amazon for a bit and there seems to be some shortage of 5way switch boxes, I could only find 3ways. Mind you these things come and go. If it doesn't bother you you can safely daisy chain them. As long as the cable between them is good you shouldn't have any problem.

Thanks for the advice, I was close to settling for one of those crappy wired ones.
Daisy chaining might be the way I have to go. I really did want an auto switch though.
My setup makes it difficult to reach a button every time I want to play a different console.

Adam Blue

I'm using the 'crappy' one. It's automatic. With multiple sources the picture does get darker, but I have a processor that actually helps boost the image. It's cheap, consumes no power, and takes up little space.

I could just be lucky.

baphomet

I'm using the 'crappy' one. It's automatic. With multiple sources the picture does get darker, but I have a processor that actually helps boost the image. It's cheap, consumes no power, and takes up little space.

I could just be lucky.

You should be more concerned that those run voltage into consoles not even plugged in. It can very easily damage them.

RetroReid

I'm still looking but I may have found someone that is selling an automatic Bandridge in the UK.
Hopefully they'll ship internationally.
I want to do this correctly, not cheaply. So I greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

Khaz

I'm still looking but I may have found someone that is selling an automatic Bandridge in the UK.
Hopefully they'll ship internationally.
I want to do this correctly, not cheaply. So I greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

They're good. Automatic are better, it's one less button to push.

The problem with basic boxes is that they are splitter boxes, not switch boxes. The way Scart is designed means you are sending current to the other devices, making them somewhat run underpowered if they themselves are also incorrectly designed (most are). Also, the provided cable is always cheap and unshielded, which can lead to a fuzzy image and buzzing sound.

Peagles

You should be more concerned that those run voltage into consoles not even plugged in. It can very easily damage them.

This. I tested one out once and wondered why my Saturn had the power light on. Tried to turn it off but it was already off. Tried to unplug it but it was already unplugged. Scary!

baphomet

That's very interesting. I have no idea what this means! Do you possibly have a resource that explains this?

Exactly what peagles said. Those have nothing stopping the 5/12 volts from running into everything plugged into those things through the scart cable. So much it can actually power the system, not plugged into the wall, just from the voltage that's being sent through its av out.

I don't need to say that it isn't good for your console.

missile

It's actually exactly like in the video above, pretty uncanny. At 32in, it's a behemoth, and I was wondering if it's something that is more prevalent in larger screens.
Well, I also guess it's a capacitor wearing out. I would check two specific high
critical ones. The first one (on the second side of the power supplier
transformer) which turns 120VAC (~15kHz, driving the horizontal deflection
plates) into DC leading to a 120VDC (B+) supplier for the plates. The
capacitor which is coupled with the rectifying diode to actually produce the
DC voltage is very likely to wear out. In the worst case the screen would
start to wobble horizontally to a large degree. Since it wobbles only a
fraction it's possible that the capacitor doesn't charge to its fullest any
more. However, there is a catch. If the capacitor is wearing out, the voltage
B+ will drop. There is a special unit in the power supply which monitors this
voltage drop (indirectly). If it drops, it will increase the voltage to bring
B+ to the required level again. And due to the wearing out capacitor, this
process of increasing the voltage each time is an oscillating one, which may
also explain the jittering on the screen. Well, there is another catch. The
monitoring circuit itself depends on an AC to DC conversion process which
utilizes a capacitor as well. If this one wears out with the other one in
good shape, the monitoring circuit will indicate a false positive, i.e a
voltage drop where there isn't one, increasing B+. This would also lead to
such jittering. These two capacitors need to be of very high quality. The
capacitor first mentioned is perhaps the one and only needing the highest
quality in the entire TV (next to those other two or three hanging also on the
second side of the power transformer).

Well, it could also be that the rippling DC voltage (called hum, or more
specific; geometric hum), could also come from the low-pass filter right next
to the rectifier stage producing B+, if such a filter does actually exists.
This filter also works with a capacitor. If this one fails, the ripples in B+
won't be diminished enough.

It can also be a combination of the two above.
Or none at all. ;)

antibolo

Banned
My Genesis is plugged into port 5 of my Bandridge because it's my only console that is "disposable" since it's not rare and not modded in any way, so if it eventually gets damaged by the weird upstream power input it won't bother me too much.

Lettuce

My Genesis is plugged into port 5 of my Bandridge because it's my only console that is "disposable" since it's not rare and not modded in any way, so if it eventually gets damaged by the weird upstream power input it won't bother me too much.

You could just do the mod on it which involves cut just 1 trace?

Got my Framemeister just a little while ago (like an hour) and I'm setting it up. So far I'm pretty happy. Certainly better than my fuzzy CRT. I've got a couple questions though which seem to be drowned out when searching via google.

1) Is there a preset that will effectively stretch the display window to full screen? I realize this isn't the best for image quality, and I won't always do this, but when I'm already playing on a relatively small screen, letterbox is a bit rough.

2) Can I set presets for different types of signal? All my settings seem to go "poof" when I go from 480p to 480i or what have you.

BONKERS

If your TV is being presented a 4:3 HD signal, you should probably be able to still use your TV's Aspect Ratio controls to stretch it.

If your TV is being presented a 4:3 HD signal, you should probably be able to still use your TV's Aspect Ratio controls to stretch it.

using a Computer monitor, so my options aren't necessarily the standard for TVs. I'll look for that in a bit, though I'm busy at the moment.

BONKERS

using a Computer monitor, so my options aren't necessarily the standard for TVs. I'll look for that in a bit, though I'm busy at the moment.

Ah, well that makes sense.

If the signal is still being sent as a 16x9 one you may be SOL. My PC monitor lets me stretch 4:3 signals if I want, but not the other way around.

It's an ASUS, "Aspect Control" is the name of the setting

Mzo

1) Is there a preset that will effectively stretch the display window to full screen? I realize this isn't the best for image quality, and I won't always do this, but when I'm already playing on a relatively small screen, letterbox is a bit rough.

You're not going to see more or have a larger screen somehow. You're just going to warp the image and make everything fatter.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You're not going to see more or have a larger screen somehow. You're just going to warp the image and make everything fatter.

There is something a little odd about buying an expensive upscaler to get a perfect picture.. and then stretching it :p

But I don't want to tell people how to game. To each their own.

There is something a little odd about buying an expensive upscaler to get a perfect picture.. and then stretching it :p

But I don't want to tell people how to game. To each their own.

I appreciate that. Like I said, I don't intend to do it all the time, just when I don't feel like bothering with things lol.

BocoDragon

I appreciate that. Like I said, I don't intend to do it all the time, just when I don't feel like bothering with things lol.

Fair enough.

If you have it on a bigger TV someday, I imagine you'll find that it's big enough in 4:3. On my 50" plasma it's almost too big!

Peagles

I don't think so. It's a plasma TV. Assuming it doesn't, what would I need?

Have a read through of the first post in this thread, it's a goldmine of info if you are wanting to get into RGB. For a modern TV without RGB SCART inputs you're probably looking at either picking up an upscaler or converting to component (provided your TV can accept 240p over component).

I don't believe the mini will let you stretch an image.

Fair enough.

If you have it on a bigger TV someday, I imagine you'll find that it's big enough in 4:3. On my 50" plasma it's almost too big!

What I've done is tinker with the H/V_Pos and H/V_Width values, and this has effectively given me the size I want. There's some level of distortion, but honestly it isn't bad. The image quality issues I have are present even at 4:3 aspect ratio (though I'll admit they're somewhat more noticeable when stretched. Pretty happy with the way this turned out.

Thank you folks :]
Unrelated: Anyone have suggestions for an HDMI Splitter? Gonna need one for use with a capture card, and I'm not sure how to tell which are or are not shit. Seems to be minimal info (or my google-fu is rusty).

missile

Quoting myself...

Well, I also guess it's a capacitor wearing out. I would check two specific high
critical ones. The first one (on the second side of the power supplier
transformer) which turns 120VAC (~15kHz, driving the horizontal deflection
plates) into DC leading to a 120VDC (B+) supplier for the plates. The
capacitor which is coupled with the rectifying diode to actually produce the
DC voltage is very likely to wear out. In the worst case the screen would
start to wobble horizontally to a large degree. [**] Since it wobbles
only a fraction [*]
it's possible that the capacitor doesn't charge to its
fullest any more. However, there is a catch. If the capacitor is wearing out,
the voltage B+ will drop. There is a special unit in the power supply which
monitors this voltage drop (indirectly). If it drops, it will increase the
voltage to bring B+ to the required level again. And due to the wearing out
capacitor, this process of increasing the voltage each time is an oscillating
one, which may also explain the jittering on the screen. Well, there is
another catch. The monitoring circuit itself depends on an AC to DC conversion
process which utilizes a capacitor as well. If this one wears out with the
other one in good shape, the monitoring circuit will indicate a false
positive, i.e a voltage drop where there isn't one, increasing B+. This would
also lead to such jittering. These two capacitors need to be of very high
quality. The capacitor first mentioned is perhaps the one and only needing the
highest quality in the entire TV (next to those other two or three hanging
also on the second side of the power transformer).

Well, it could also be that the rippling DC voltage (called hum, or more
specific; geometric hum), could also come from the low-pass filter right next
to the rectifier stage producing B+, if such a filter does actually exists.
This filter also works with a capacitor. If this one fails, the ripples in B+
won't be diminished enough.

It can also be a combination of the two above.
Or none at all. ;)
For the sake of completeness:

(*)
wobble1.gif

(**)
wobble.gif

whats a 19" BVM worth?

someone trying to sell one for $400 on kijiji in my area. what should i offer?

to add to this.. i already have a framemeister. so i dont really need it, but would be nice to have for another room or below my big tv

whats a 19" BVM worth?

someone trying to sell one for $400 on kijiji in my area. what should i offer?

I'm not as knowledgeable as other people on the board, but it seems to be that about 200$ would be a more reasonable price. These monitors -- on release -- were super expensive, so I think a lot of sellers don't want to admit how much they've depreciated. Kinda hard to value them, too, since they're such a niche market at this point.

I'm not as knowledgeable as other people on the board, but it seems to be that about 200$ would be a more reasonable price. These monitors -- on release -- were super expensive, so I think a lot of sellers don't want to admit how much they've depreciated. Kinda hard to value them, too, since they're such a niche market at this point.

got it, thanks.. checking out ebay and such, the $200 range seems to be about the norm. I've got him down to 225, just checking if it has any geometry issues, etc...

I have a question which may fit into this topic:

Did we folks here in PAL land play all our SNES, N64, GC games etc. in 50hz and not, as they were intended, in 60hz? So all our games ran slower?

Khaz

I have a question which may fit into this topic:

Did we folks here in PAL land play all our SNES, N64, GC games etc. in 50hz and not, as they were intended, in 60hz? So all our games ran slower?

Yes.
Even those which were "PAL-optimised" usually just had their music or screen ajusted, but the gameplay was kept slow. For ex: Aladdin on the Megadrive, Sonic 2 on the Megadrive and Master System. Switching them to 60Hz can make a mess.
A tiny fraction of them were properly optimised, like Sega Rally on Saturn which has the proper gameplay and music speed, and added screen estate.

BocoDragon

Hearing about PAL gaming always makes me sad.

It would suck that the market of old games around me was made up of slightly inferior copies. Yeah you can import them from America or Japan but that takes effort and money.

Khaz

Hearing about PAL gaming always makes me sad.

It would suck that the market of old games around me was made up of slightly inferior copies. Yeah you can import them from America or Japan but that takes effort and money.

Actually most of the time you don't need to. The games are most often the same worldwide, the console being the one forcing the resolution and speed. This is why you can mod switch most console to recover the original speed and resolution of your games.

One obvious offender being the Playstation: the region settings are burnt onto the disks, while the consoles themselves are international (except for the region lock.) With this one you need to mod chip the console itself to get rid of the region-lock AND import the disks to get the proper speed.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Have a read through of the first post in this thread, it's a goldmine of info if you are wanting to get into RGB. For a modern TV without RGB SCART inputs you're probably looking at either picking up an upscaler or converting to component (provided your TV can accept 240p over component).

Hm I don't think I need an upscaler. Just want to connect my N64 to my Plasma via RGB. After I have my N64 RGB modded, would the official Nintendo component cable work? Probably not the most cost effective, but just wondering.

Madao

Hm I don't think I need an upscaler. Just want to connect my N64 to my Plasma via RGB. After I have my N64 RGB modded, would the official Nintendo component cable work? Probably not the most cost effective, but just wondering.

don't you mean RGB cable?

there's only Component cables for GC and Wii and those definitely don't work on N64.

D.Lo

Yes.
Even those which were "PAL-optimised" usually just had their music or screen ajusted, but the gameplay was kept slow. For ex: Aladdin on the Megadrive, Sonic 2 on the Megadrive and Master System. Switching them to 60Hz can make a mess.
A tiny fraction of them were properly optimised, like Sega Rally on Saturn which has the proper gameplay and music speed, and added screen estate.
That's not entirely true.

Yes, that's all the optimisation Sega ever did, they were particularly bad. Until the Saturn actually, when Sega started to optimise well on some mid-gem titles (VF2 was great). Sony was also almost universally awful, almost no games on any Sony consoles were ever PAL optimised (until the PS3 where it became HD and irrelevant). Strange how PAL territories overall embraced the companies that treated them the worst, optimisation wise (goes to show that most people don't even notice).

80% of Nintendo first party games were speed and music optimised on all consoles, all the way back to Super Mario Bros, Metroid and Zelda. ALL SNES games had the correct music speed, because the sound chip ran on a separate clock, and quite a lot had resolution adjustments to fill the screen and speed adjustments. There were some odd exceptions, like the half optimised Kirby's Adventure, and a few early N64 games like Wave Race. And many N64 3rd party games were too. PAL GCN games almost universally had a 60Hz option, though unfortunately it replaced the progressive scan option. Some GCN games (e.g. Metroid Prime 1) the PAL version is the best because it runs at a higher resolution - it's a true 576i, with 20% more lines rendered on screen.

Overall a mixed bag, and PAL is not how the games were originally designed so I don't use it at all anymore (except the odd GCN). But Nintendo truly treated PAL by far the best in terms of optimisation.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
don't you mean RGB cable?

there's only Component cables for GC and Wii and those definitely don't work on N64.

Well the GC one is the same connector as the N64 so I thought it might work. Initially it wouldn't work, but isn't that what the RGB mod is for?

Madao

Well the GC one is the same connector as the N64 so I thought it might work. Initially it wouldn't work, but isn't that what the RGB mod is for?

that's still a RGB cable, not Component cable. they are different.

the cables that have the same plug on N64 and GC are RGB cables.

besides, i think the official GC RGB cable needs to be modified to be used on a RGB modded N64. i read something about that when i got my RGB N64 but didn't look too much into it because i got a cable that plugs in the Framemeister instead since i went that route.

Speedwagon

RGB and Component are two completely different things.

that's still a RGB cable, not Component cable. they are different.

the cables that have the same plug on N64 and GC are RGB cables.

besides, i think the official GC RGB cable needs to be modified to be used on a RGB modded N64. i read something about that when i got my RGB N64 but didn't look too much into it because i got a cable that plugs in the Framemeister instead since i went that route.

Okay. So would it work?
edit: ninja'd

I don't want to use an upscaler since I don't want any additional input lag added on my Plasma. The XRGB is supposed to have low input lag, but I don't think my TV has VGA.

Madao

Okay. So would it work?
edit: ninja'd

I don't want to use an upscaler since I don't want any additional input lag added on my Plasma. The XRGB is supposed to have low input lag, but I don't think my TV has VGA.

it was just an example to show the cable was different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom