• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Although I want one I could never justify buying a GC Component cable for $250~. An old console, a handheld, maybe a rare valuable game... but not a freakin piece of wire with a little chip on one end. :( I will wait for the mod because I think that carries more value for what you're getting if that makes any sense. I also read that GBI ULL doesn't do 240p over Component which I hope was nonsense because that's personally my main reason to get one!

I saw that but it's a slight imperfection, probably nothing to worry about. My 20M4U has a color purity issue on the bottom left corner but it sometimes doesn't show up and it's never noticeable in actual games. Degauss also fixes it like that seller mentions of his BVM. If it was a large patch that's always there and highly affects the visuals then I'd stay away.
GPI ULL does do 240p over component and it's absolutely fantastic. It's as clean and perfect of a signal as any system I've seen.

If you want to get one, keep an eye on ebay auctions/BINs; sometimes people list GameCubes for sale with cables and don't realize the component/D-term cables included are so valuable. I managed to get a good price on a D-terminal cable this way (especially factoring in the GC, GBP, and games that came with it).

Chinner

Banned
Was only joking, there's a uk listing mentioned earlier with a similar model number.

Also, I'm guessing the PVMs don't usually come with speakers?

How do you get a raw GameCube signal in to a monitor. the only other option outside of an upscaler or other kind of transcoder is a rather new and invasive mod.
Component to VGA transcoder and an analog to digital converter to take that to DVI. I thought monitors still had DVI, if not HDMI is just a different pin layout of the DVI signal I believe so the easiest conversion to make in that line.

Component to VGA transcoder and an analog to digital converter to take that to DVI. I thought monitors still had DVI, if not HDMI is just a different pin layout of the DVI signal I believe so the easiest conversion to make in that line.

I guess? It seems unlikely that modern monitors would deal with that signal very well but I guess you can do it that way.

Mega

Banned
Hey man, if you're in the area and want to drop $500 on it, go for it. I'm probably going to go with the JVC (assuming it's not in exceedingly poor shape) for its size and weight.

WTF, he wants $500? Talk about getting carried away. Some sellers act like they're holding on to national treasures.

I guess? It seems unlikely that modern monitors would deal with that signal very well but I guess you can do it that way.
I don't really see the point myself of getting a modern PC monitor to play Gamecube. The only advantage of modern displays is their size, and that's the point of the Framemeister. To play something like GC and other 6th gen an old CRT monitor would be great, all you need is to get the component signal to VGA.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
WTF, he wants $500? Talk about getting carried away. Some sellers act like they're holding on to national treasures.

Anything I should show him as an attempt to lower his price or should pull an Elsa?

That works out great. You should actually call me on my cell if you're going to call on your way here. (xxx) xxx-xxxx

As for the Sony, I'm having a hard time finding a good price. One website is selling them used for $2,000. I think that's high. So let's go with $500. It hasn't had much use at all.

Thanks again.

Jon

I don't really see the point myself of getting a modern PC monitor to play Gamecube. The only advantage of modern displays is their size, and that's the point of the Framemeister. To play something like GC and other 6th gen an old CRT monitor would be great, all you need is to get the component signal to VGA.

he's not getting it to play a gamecube lol. He's getting it for his PC, and would like to consolidate his set up so that he can play his gamecube on that same monitor. The same thing I do.

Mega

Banned
That's an actual b&m camera and video store in NY. It's brand new and a very recent model by CRT standards. Price makes sense. I got that used and it's excellent. But don't buy it unless you get the RGB/Component input card (very hard to find).

Anything I should show him as an attempt to lower his price or should pull an Elsa?

That $2000 is MSRP for when they were brand new and in demand for video professionals. Show him these or similar Sold listings on ebay for 20L2, 20M2U, etc. Even the 20M4U and the standard BVMs are technically higher end and don't sell for as much. It's $75-150 depending on the condition and what a reasonable seller wants for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Trinit...872033?hash=item1c5b8a42e1:g:jGQAAOSw5ZBWJVwi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PVM-20...733052?hash=item2a5b52177c:g:4OQAAOSwo6lWLods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-HR-Tri...683928?hash=item2108826498:g:cAAAAOSwKtlWlr6Q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-20...209538?hash=item5426343902:g:hxMAAOSwl9BWMQPU

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fuck me, somebody put a literal fort of JVC monitors up for sale.

fN5SOLR.jpg

EGM5fKl.jpg

Too bad you have to purchase the RGB boards elsewhere...

Mega

Banned
Yeah, those are the really good HD ones in 17" size (edit: I was wrong, these are the lookalike SD versions). I've sung this thing's praises because besides the nice HD quality, it has the best balance I've ever seen between screen size, LxWxH dimensions, and weight. Looks and feels very compact but the screen doesn't have the "small" feel of the 13-14" PVMs. There's a 19" version and identical Panasonic variants which seem rarer. That seller's website had a couple of the RGB input cards for sale but they seem to be gone now. I was tempted for a long time to buy one before I got my own, but the price was on the steep side.

You occasionally find the cards on the back of random SD JVCs with input slots, but the sellers have caught on to their value, either from posts around the web or buyers PMing them, and have been selling them separately... or jacking up the price and rewording their listing titles to reflect the card's inclusion with the monitor.

Someone with the resources in England should reproduce the scene in "Girls" where Marnie is sealed in a chamber of TVs that uses pro monitors and has retro games playing on them.

girls-screenshot-2.w529.h352.jpg

With all this talk of PVMs and BVMs I have to ask: does anybody have any knowledge or resources for acquiring a 20" monitor in or around Boston, MA?

I have a decent CRT, but I want the real deal.

Mega

Banned
These are about an hour or so away from me.

Apparently some of them already have RGB boards in them.

That's pretty cool, hopefully they don't charge too much extra for the upgrade. Although I just realized these aren't the HD versions.

SD: TM-H1750CG
HD: DT-V1710CG

These only have one optional input slot with built-in composite and s-video, whereas the HD have a default HD SDI card and two empty slots.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
OK because I'm having trouble finding a good 144hz monitor than I hot to look into plan B which is getting a 4K Monitor so I have a question!

The scenerio will be this: I will be running my GameCube with Component Cables to a Framemeister to get a a 1080p signal through HDMI and than I would plug that HDMI cable to a 4K Monitor which will be upscaling the 1080p video from the Framemeister by x4.

In my maind upscaling an image twice doesn't sound like a good idea.So the question is would a 4K monitor improve the image quality of a 480p Console (Dreamcast and GameCube) or will it make it worse? Does that 2nd upscale done by the 4K Monitor add input lag?

Wagram

If i'm looking for some type of conversion for PS1/PS2/GC on an HDTV what converter should I pick up? I'm really bad at this stuff, even with the OP lol.

Bancho

I just want to play on original hardware via any convenient means (Everdrive) with the occasional physical purchase that catches my interest and a display that is an ideal version (pro monitor) of what I grew up with (RF/composite TV).

This is exactly the same mentality I carry regarding my retro gaming.

While this is a Genesis screenshot* (and one could argue Gen visuals were often made with composite in mind), it encompasses my ideal best. I think a clean RGB picture on a CRT is the best of worlds and it's what the game designers probably saw in studio while making the games and what they wanted us to see if we all had decent televisions. I find this the most aesthetically pleasing even if it technically "falls short" of a HD version.

*This is from my mediocre phone camera so the picture is actually blurrier, cooler and less vibrant than in person.

For me I've tried to play on Big LCD TV's and Emulators which could be argued produce the best picture quality, more so emulation as some of the shaders in Retroarch are fantastic but I just cannot sit down and play on them, I lose interest straight away but can happily sit for hours in front of my 14" PVM or 20" PVM and play my games and really enjoy them. The thing is seeing is believing, when I modded my NESRGB i was absolutely floored by how sharp it looked. It was ridiculous and that was on a Consumer Trinitron. I couldn't really go back to composite (by choice) now which is the main reason my Twin Famicom gets no use.. i really need to RGB mod it.

Punchout was the first game i fired up and just the title screen had me grinning ear to ear.

IMG_4776.jpg

televator

I'd rather use the first party solution wherever possible rather than a mod. Plus most sources don't take 240p over an HDMI cable for GB Player.

Plus, if your goal is GCN through HDMI, then the Wii + HDMI dongle is probably a cheaper route than that mod.

240p would still have to be up scaled one way or another and the mod can be set to upscale the same if not better than the XRGB. Wii + HDMI can't even serve for the GBP at all so... He also went though all the pain of getting the component cables anyway It'd be... Well... Just plain dumb to settle for the lesser video quality of the Wii.

Anyway, he's not gonna go with mod and he probably shouldn't as well. So the subject is moot either way. Just wanted to retort on the points you brought up.

Edit: Also, as far as raw video quality and price purely for GC games via HDMI. There is no beating WiiU + Nintendon't. You get the digital -> digital advantage of the GC HDMI mod and the video quality benefits for free, zero, zilch nada. Only thing is it doesn't do GBP, but it's still leagues better than Wii component + cheap dongle.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
If i'm looking for some type of conversion for PS1/PS2/GC on an HDTV what converter should I pick up? I'm really bad at this stuff, even with the OP lol.
I'm going to be doing the same for my PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast and your best option is to get the same thing I have to get which is a Framemeister but be ready to pay a premium price lol

On Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QUBK6RK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

On eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181327242059?redirect=mobile

televator

OK because I'm having trouble finding a good 144hz monitor than I hot to look into plan B which is getting a 4K Monitor so I have a question!

The scenerio will be this: I will be running my GameCube with Component Cables to a Framemeister to get a a 1080p signal through HDMI and than I would plug that HDMI cable to a 4K Monitor which will be upscaling the 1080p video from the Framemeister by x4.

In my maind upscaling an image twice doesn't sound like a good idea.So the question is would a 4K monitor improve the image quality of a 480p Console (Dreamcast and GameCube) or will it make it worse? Does that 2nd upscale done by the 4K Monitor add input lag?

All scaling adds lag to different degrees. If the monitor you are getting is known to have a really good Game Mode setting/very low input lag the it might be alright after scaling, but most monitors seem to be tested for lag at native res, and not normally tested for scaling speed.

Xion_Stellar

All scaling adds lag to different degrees. If the monitor you are getting is known to have a really good Game Mode setting/very low input lag the it might be alright after scaling, but most monitors seem to be tested for lag at native res, and not normally tested for scaling speed.
Dammit...why does getting my ideal setup has to be so difficult.On a slightly different note I have to get a Toro VGA Box for my Dreamcast to work well with the Framemeister so I'm so glad I never got around buying a normal VGA Box.

televator

Dammit...why does getting my ideal setup has to be so difficult.On a slightly different note I have to get a Toro VGA Box for my Dreamcast to work well with the Framemeister so I'm so glad I never got around buying a normal VGA Box.

Are you the type to get really bothered by lag? It's ideal to have less lag for sure, but I tend to be one who isn't totally obsessive about it. If I were in your shoes though, I would do as much research about the 4K sets as possible. 4K is honestly getting into uncharted waters in this thread. I would try asking around in the 120/144 Hz gaming thread. Those guy might be able to tell you more about the specifics of different monitors.

Does the HDTV have component inputs? If so there's a shit ton of options and it all depends on how cheap or expensive you wanna get... What is it you're trying to achieve? Just a simple way to get the signal into your TV at the cost of PQ? Best possible picture as you define it? Somewhere in the middle? Are you picky about original hardware?

There's a lot of factors and we can't simply figure everything out for you.

TGMIII

So there's a 14" BVM-1410P, BVM-1411P & BVM-1415P near me but I've already got a PVM-14M4E.

Worth looking into any of the BVMs?

I feel like I've been doing nothing but asking questions in here recently but I really appreciate the help since 99% of this stuff is beyond me at the minute.

Edit: Also, as far as raw video quality and price purely for GC games via HDMI. There is no beating WiiU + Nintendon't. You get the digital -> digital advantage of the GC HDMI mod and the video quality benefits for free, zero, zilch nada. Only thing is it doesn't do GBP, but it's still leagues better than Wii component + cheap dongle.

Nintendon't is neat but it has a long list compatibility issues/bugs. I'd rather accept some minor image quality concessions and just know that I'm on native hardware with no compatibility layer bugs.

NathanS

Cheaper, but not better. There are probably 2 types of retro people, best bang for the buck video repro vs. the best available.

Yeah and there's precious little advice on stretching a budget out there when it comes to this. All info presumes your able to drop a ton and at most they might tell you something as insightful "normal CRT TV are less expensive then PVM!" Okay great, but what should you look for to maximize the quality of the CRT TV if you go that route? Is a lower end PVM a cheaper option then a high end CRT TV? Is the $200+ Upscalers a better value long term? Things like that seemed glossed over in favor of assuming everyone who wants anything better then "passable" experience really wants to hear all about the absolute best PVM, that will likely put you back a cool grand.

Mega

Banned
Yeah and there's precious little advice on stretching a budget out there when it comes to this. All info presumes your able to drop a ton and at most they might tell you something as insightful "normal CRT TV are less expensive then PVM!" Okay great, but what should you look for to maximize the quality of the CRT TV if you go that route? Is a lower end PVM a cheaper option then a high end CRT TV? Is the $200+ Upscalers a better value long term? Things like that seemed glossed over in favor of assuming everyone who wants anything better then "passable" experience really wants to hear all about the absolute best PVM, that will likely put you back a cool grand.

Are you criticizing the people here? Because what you said is not true. In the last few pages alone one person got advice on a complete S-video setup on a budget, others have gotten advice on how to find cheap CRTs locally, and another person got a bunch of links on affordable PVMs in the UK. A bunch of links on under $100 pro monitors. There's tons of advice here for anyone. I scoured this thread and other forums and articles around the web before and while I asked questions. At least ask for help politely. It seems it's you who has glossed over the thread and made unfair assumptions.

Are you criticizing the people here? Because what you said is not true. In the last few pages alone one person got advice on a complete S-video setup on a budget, others have gotten advice on how to find cheap CRTs locally, and another person got a bunch of links on affordable PVMs in the UK. A bunch of links on under $100 pro monitors. There's tons of advice here for anyone. I scoured this thread and other forums and articles around the web before and while I asked questions. At least ask for help politely. It seems it's you who has glossed over the thread and made unfair assumptions.

Not just that, but if you browse this thread for more than 20 seconds it's pretty clear that most of the people here are on the enthusiast end. There are resources all over the net for getting nice quality, but the fact of the matter is there's not really a super devoted community to budget solutions because budget solutions tend to be worse solutions. Generally compromising solutions aren't the sort of the thing communities form around. Just the nature of these things.

That isn't to say folks shouldn't ask here, but when people tell you "This would give you a better picture, but it's out of your budget" it's within the realm of what you should expect.

Timu

Nintendon't is neat but it has a long list compatibility issues/bugs. I'd rather accept some minor image quality concessions and just know that I'm on native hardware with no compatibility layer bugs.
Nintendon't is actually fine for the most part from my experience and compatibility, and since it gets updated I wouldn't be surprised if they solved most of the problems.

Peltz

You're talking about a second hand market that is different every day. Most of us wouldn't recommend ordering a CRT off of ebay because the shipping is likely to damage it. So if there's a particular CRT you'd like us to evaluate listed on your local craigslist for a low price, we're more than happy to help you out and give you the pros and cons of that particular model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom