• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinsanity

^That input card is the only way for RGB and Component with the Sony A monitors. I've seen it pop up only twice in the past year on eBay and it's $$$. So you may find yourself waiting months just to fork over hundreds. I'd sell the monitor if I were you and use that to buy a CRT that's actually usable.

I can wait. I'm in no rush, and I'm relatively patient. And it's a gift! :)

Rich!

Just a note on the 480p discussion a few pages back

Swiss allows me to set my GameCube to 480p over RGB SCART. And it works, and looks glorious on my PVM. Difference with it and 480i is like night and day

Mega

Banned

Swiss allows me to set my GameCube to 480p over RGB SCART. And it works, and looks glorious on my PVM. Difference with it and 480i is like night and day

I thought your monitor was limited to 240p/480i. If it's actual 31KHz/480p you should be seeing a distorted double image or nothing... depends on the CRT model.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

What is swiss? I want some of that 480p as well.

Anyways, a little update on my PS2 with the flickering issues. Like I wrote, the flickering is very noticeable at black backgrounds, and looks like when an ac-adapter is about to die. However, other testing shows that this is not the issue. I hooked up my Xbox today - and the issue is just as apparent there! So, I tried my Wii again, and this time i could see it there too - all three machines go via the d terminal to component adapter. So, either the cable is semi-defect (its brand new from Solaris), or, the Framemeister itself has issues with the d-terminal input. Lets hope its the cable though, that is by far the easiest and cheapest to replace. Going to talk to Solaris about it now.

What is swiss? I want some of that 480p as well.
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss
Anyways, a little update on my PS2 with the flickering issues. Like I wrote, the flickering is very noticeable at black backgrounds, and looks like when an ac-adapter is about to die. However, other testing shows that this is not the issue. I hooked up my Xbox today - and the issue is just as apparent there! So, I tried my Wii again, and this time i could see it there too - all three machines go via the d terminal to component adapter. So, either the cable is semi-defect (its brand new from Solaris), or, the Framemeister itself has issues with the d-terminal input. Lets hope its the cable though, that is by far the easiest and cheapest to replace. Going to talk to Solaris about it now.

take a picture/video. It's really difficult to help you out when "flickering" is all we have to go on.

Are you sure it's 480p? I'm 99% sure the gamecube cannot output 480p from the analog port

If I'm not mistaken(correct me if I'm wrong) you would need a specific type of RGB cable that connects to the digital AV port converted from a component cable.
edit: from the Official Nintendo component cable

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
take a picture/video. It's really difficult to help you out when "flickering" is all we have to go on.

Thanks! Yeah, I understand that :) i dont really have the right equipment to take video, and its not that noticeable with my crappy phone camera, but will try!

Rich!

Are you sure it's 480p? I'm 99% sure the gamecube cannot output 480p from the analog port

Definitely

My PVM defines it as a 480p signal, and the image immediately stabilises from the flickering you get with interlaced.

I thought your monitor was limited to 240p/480i. If it's actual 31KHz/480p you should be seeing a distorted double image or nothing... depends on the CRT model.

Nope. By nature of being a device used in the UK it supports up to 576i (PAL resolution). Displays just under 600 lines at full res.

Rich!

Strange...

Do you have a modern TV that identifies video signals? Might be worth plugging it in just to see if it actually is 480p, weird.

Yeah, my HDTV sets (Panasonic 42" and LG 55") both support RGB SCART input. I can give them a go later for a definite answer.

For now, I did take a video and it does show the difference quite clearly when 480p is set by myself in Swiss:

https://youtu.be/7brIWCCBhts

The monitor also assigns it a new setting for scaling in the service menu unique to the other resolutions.

I can't find a single person outside of yourself that has been able to get the NGC to output 480p over SCART. In fact, I believe this is one of the main focuses of the NGC hardware mods on the rise. Is it possible it's outputting 240p?

JVC tm 1750pn

I'm not sure how to show that it's displaying 480p to you guys...I think a video may work.

I'll give it a go.

I hate to disagree with you, and unrelated but I stumped upon your POF profile, but to the best of my knowledge the gamecube cannot do 480p without the external DAC. People have stripped the gamecube down chip by chip in an attempt to get 480p without it. In the end the only way they could was by reverse engineering said chip.

Edit: looking at the specs on your JVC. It only supports 15khz.

Rich!

Oh dear, I don't even use that site anymore...

And hm, this is odd. I don't disagree with you at all, and I find it hard to believe it's displaying 480p as I understood the same restrictions. I'll try it on my lcd later.

Maybe it locks it as 240p somehow? Or maybe Swiss just isn't doing its job right?

Well if you're not seeing interlacing, it's almost certainly 240p. It's possible that Swiss can detect that your system can't output 480p in its current configuration and is defaulting to 240p but I didn't even know Swiss could force 480p so I'm not sure.

Oh dear, I don't even use that site anymore...

And hm, this is odd. I don't disagree with you at all, and I find it hard to believe it's displaying 480p as I understood the same restrictions. I'll try it on my lcd later.

Maybe it locks it as 240p somehow? Or maybe Swiss just isn't doing its job right?

When I saw you on Reddit I decided to google your name and see where else you posted. I'm not a stalker lol. You may want to take it down in case your current girl has the same idea.

Swiss does have an anti flicker setting. perhaps its enabling that? ( it does make a difference)

If it was forcing 240p you would know based on the scanlines.

Well if you're not seeing interlacing, it's almost certainly 240p. It's possible that Swiss can detect that your system can't output 480p in its current configuration and is defaulting to 240p but I didn't even know Swiss could force 480p so I'm not sure.

By Default ,if you have component cables hooked up, swiss outputs 480p. I have to hold the " L " trigger everytime it boots because I only use my gamecube for 240p

Rich!

When I saw you on Reddit I decided to google your name and see where else you posted. I'm not a stalker lol. You may want to take it down in case your current girl has the same idea.

Swiss does have an anti flicker setting. perhaps its enabling that? ( it does make a difference)

If it was forcing 240p you would know based on the scanlines.

Yeah there's a reason I changed my name here ha

And yeah there's no visible scanlines in this mode. This is bizarre. I'll actually go try it on my HDTV now.

I think the flicker related setting in Swiss is actually turning off the gamecubes built in deflicker option since it ruins image quality. I don't think that's related.

So for science I tried it on my gamecube. My cube is NTSC so I used svideo instead of RGbs.

When forcing 480p a quick prompt shows up that says " video mode 480i" then it boots. My scaler says its a 480i feed.

Rich!

So for science I tried it on my gamecube. My cube is NTSC so I used svideo instead of RGbs.

When forcing 480p a quick prompt shows up that says " video mode 480i" then it boots. My scaler says its a 480i feed.

Yep, just confirmed it on my lcd.

Damn I was indeed mistaken. Sorry guys

Yep, just confirmed it on my lcd.

Damn I was indeed mistaken. Sorry guys

Lol no need to apologize. I think the rest of us who never tried RGB SCART were all momentarily excited by the prospect of getting 480P over a cheaper SCART cable sans the component cable parts, hence all the replies to your initial comment.

Btw if all I'm using my cube for is on my PVM using S-Video should I bother getting Swiss and does it work with Wii?
-I don't plan on getting/using a GBA player
-I don't use a Wii for my GC atm mainly because I have my 2 GC's linked for 8 player double dash most of the time. Although I do have component cables for the Wii

Lol no need to apologize. I think the rest of us who never tried RGB SCART were all momentarily excited by the prospect of getting 480P over a cheaper SCART cable sans the component cable parts, hence all the replies to your initial comment.

Btw if all I'm using my cube for is on my PVM using S-Video should I bother getting Swiss and does it work with Wii?
-I don't use a Wii for my GC atm mainly because I have my 2 GC's linked for 8 player double dash most of the time. Although I do have component cables for the Wii

afaik there is a wii version, though if you're not using it for gamecube games I don't think it will offer you much.

Swiss isnt of any use to you then. The Wii has better options and can do everything swiss can.

Rich!

quick question

If I'm calibrating the geometry on my monitor using the 240p suite (linearity and grid tests), should I use the 240p screens or 224p? 224p obviously accounts for the resolution of the SNES, which I will primarily be using on it (until I get my new N64 anyhow)

Does anyone know if the JVC TM-A210G has extra input cards to get RGB? Two are being given away but they only have composite and s-video as of now.

Rich!

Right. Calibrated my monitor again and I think I'm satisfied now.

Grid is 1:1 measurement accurate for each square and the linearity is exactly 6x6cm measured for each smaller circle and 24x24cm for the large one.

dsc_0115avafd.jpg

I don't think I can get much better than that.

televator

If Behar bros made a 240p line doubler and 480i deinterlacer, with 4:4:4 processing, component; scart; and VGA input, and HDMI output, I'd be first in line for it.

Khaz

So is an item like this pure trash or is it a step up than connecting my consoles via composite?

It's cool, no lag and gives you access to RGB quality, but with Component cables and encoding.

Two things though:
- colours can be slightly off. You may need to open the box and adjust a couple of pots. It's why the box is cheap, it wasn't fine tuned in the factory. It's very easy to do though.
- You want a way to get audio out. Some people mod the box, others use an adapter on the Scart, others get their sound directly from the console.

Vespa

If Behar bros made a 240p line doubler and 480i deinterlacer, with 4:4:4 processing, component; scart; and VGA input, and HDMI output, I'd be first in line for it.

As someone who's interested in the OSSC but not fully read up on it's features, which of these does it not do?

televator

As someone who's interested in the OSSC but not fully read up on it's features, which of these does it not do?

It does not deinterlace. It's only function is line doubling.. or tripling. It does not have an adequate frame buffer to do 2 field motion adaptive deinterlacing.

Madao

isn't the GC's "digital" output still analog since component is within that or is the conversion done inside the cable itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom