• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreamcast VGA shouldn't need anything special. It natively outputs VGA, and you can enable 480p by jumpering a pin to ground:

RxdOoFwl.jpg

This is why I just bought the $10 cable. Inside it's just connecting pin 6 to pin 1 and hooking RGB/HS/VS up. I can't figure out what the Toro is doing differently to warrent $$$, especially when, if I really wanted to connect VGA to SCART, the circuit is simple enough that a passive adapter would work (it's like a half step above just smooshing the lines together).

Edit: maybe audio?

Aren't you the one saying your VGA cable looked like shit? Well there you go with the value difference, the Toro's VGA doesn't look like shit.

*edit* And here is what the Toro does copied from their website.

Toro is a Dreamcast video box with multiple video outputs. It has both VGA and Euro Scart connectors to output RGBS(composite sync) and RGBHV for maximum compatibility with displays and upscalers. So you can play both RGB Scart and VGA compatible games. Like the Hanzo it's a built-in Scanline Generator to add scanlines. Basically it's a combination of Hanzo and Kenzei with less features like RCA RGBS outputs and scart/rca video pass-through function.

AUTO SYNC COMBINER FOR THE UPSCALERS AND MONITORS
Now you can use your Dreamcast with the XRGB Mini or other upscalers/pro monitors without any additional sync combiner devices like Kenzei...

MULTI VIDEO SYNC SYSTEM
Both CSYNC and H&V SYNC modes supported
Euro Scart connector can output RGBS (CSYNC) (480i+480p for the XRGB)
VGA connector can output RGBS or RGBHV. It's selectable by a push button.

SCANLINER FUNCTION
It’s possible to turn off scanlines easily with a switch, you can also select Even or Odd scanlines. You can also change the width of the scanlines, thin or thick for a resolution like 1024x768..
You can use Toro as a standalone sync combiner + Scanliner for other consoles/PC with VGA output if you use the extra Scanliner cable.
You just need to swap the DC cable with the Scanliner cable which has a VGA (HD15) male plug for input.

15KHZ / 31KHZ MODE SELECTION SWITCH
Both RGB and VGA modes supported for full compatibility! XRGB can be fed with 15/31khz through Scart...

Pure Audio output in Stereo...
Toro has RCA Stereo audio jacks to let you plug your console to an amplifier or a stereo system or simply your TV. So you can hear the sounds which you have never before and feel as you are in the game.

EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY

All our products are handmade using high quality imported components. Every component is tested multiple times and chosen carefully for its longevity. We use high quality shielded video cable for better video and audio quality.

angelic

Banned
I cannot get my laptop to be recognised by my framemeister. I'm using a samsung ATIV that uses an AMD onboard video with micro hdmi into the meister, it sees theres something there but just wont show any picture. Laptop fine direct into tv, meister fine with other sources...just not my laptop. Set it to duplicate display, or extend, nothing. Any ideas?

angelic

Banned
Thats 2 laptops now, can't get anything to pick up with the framemeister. Is it just not possible? Need to get scanlines going on AM2R.

Still beats the Framemeister though for 480p sources....

I don't know... I think it looks okay when upscaling to 1080p, even if it is way too sharp for my tastes.

IMO on my 2008 Pioneer Kuro Wii (including Gamecube via Nintendon't) via component (with the set scaling 240p and 480p to 1080p) looks better than vWii via HDMI on the same set. But HDMI, some say! I say the HDMI may be better than component but that doesn't offset the bad image processing in the Wii U.

Peltz

IMO on my 2008 Pioneer Kuro Wii (including Gamecube via Nintendon't) via component (with the set scaling 240p and 480p to 1080p) looks better than vWii via HDMI on the same set. But HDMI, some say! I say the HDMI may be better than component but that doesn't offset the bad image processing in the Wii U.

I agree. Wii via component cables and/or GCN via component cables look better on an HDTV than Wii U's vWii mode via any cable.

Narroo

Speaking of AM2R: Does anyone have a good way to apply CRT filters to PC games? I know that FXAA Post Process Injector works for a few games, but there has to be something out there, right?

Hello friends.

I'm moving next week and I think I'm only taking my PS2. Downsizing big.

OSSC for 480p via SCART will be good, but that list is still massive.

Mega

Banned
These are great 240p shots, how did you route it to your CRT from your computer?

Install CRT Emudriver so that Windows can generate 15KHz resolutions. Use a VGA to Scart cable into a scart switch or a VGA to RGBHV BNC cable directly into the RGB monitor.

Grief.exe

Just realized something. Do I have to order a special power brick for the Framemeister?

Install CRT Emudriver so that Windows can generate 15KHz resolutions. Use a VGA to Scart cable into a scart switch or a VGA to RGBHV BNC cable directly into the RGB monitor.

Sweet.

Madao

I agree. Wii via component cables and/or GCN via component cables look better on an HDTV than Wii U's vWii mode via any cable.

my TV is on the group where vWii actually looks better than GC or Wii with Component cables. 480p just looks pretty bad. that's the reason i'm looking forward to the OSSC since it could bypass my TV's bad image processing.
it's funny seeing the direct image captures showing the opposite of what the TV shows.

at least i have very low input lag so it's not all bad. better than having a nicer looking set that lags like hell.

There was some discussion a while back (over a year at this point) about some PSUs resulting in more or less noise on the framemeister, iirc. I'm almost positive that since then, the PSU that ships with it has been improved, but I'm not 100% on that.

Regardless, I think it's a nitpick even if there is a quality discrepancy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
There was some discussion a while back (over a year at this point) about some PSUs resulting in more or less noise on the framemeister, iirc. I'm almost positive that since then, the PSU that ships with it has been improved, but I'm not 100% on that.

Regardless, I think it's a nitpick even if there is a quality discrepancy.

Hmmm, I am using my PSP power with it. Would be interesting to read this discussion, any idea on about where to look?

Hmmm, I am using my PSP power with it. Would be interesting to read this discussion, any idea on about where to look?

quite a while back in the XRGB mini thread on shmups, iirc. Good fucking luck, though. Might be better off searching "XRGB Mini Power Supply" or something on google.

It's also possible I'm losing my mind, but I'm fairly confident.

Rich!

Awesome

Maplin sell a VGA to BNC cable for £4 which I may get - but it has both h and v cables for sync. How would I connect this to my JVC which has only one sync input?

televator

I'm not going to bother upgrading from the Kuro to the Toro now that the OSSC is out.

I'm going to get the GCVideo mod to play GC games and GB/A games. Some of the minds behind GCVideo are adapting GCVideo for Wii so I will need another Wii for that. That will bypass the awful Wii DAC and Wii should look just as good as GC.

Mega

Banned
Awesome

Maplin sell a VGA to BNC cable for £4 which I may get - but it has both h and v cables for sync. How would I connect this to my JVC which has only one sync input?

There are VGA to 4 BNC cables with one combined sync connector. If your display is picky and needs proper RGBS, you may need a sync combining device like the ArcadeForge USA or Extron 201/202/203 Rxi.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not going to bother upgrading from the Kuro to the Toro now that the OSSC is out.

I'm going to get the GCVideo mod to play GC games and GB/A games. Some of the minds behind GCVideo are adapting GCVideo for Wii so I will need another Wii for that. That will bypass the awful Wii DAC and Wii should look just as good as GC.

Now THAT would be something I'm interested in.

Hopefully they'll have a means that won't require butchering the case. I like my Mario Red console.

Rich!

There are VGA to 4 BNC cables with one combined sync connector. If your display is picky and needs proper RGBS, you may need a sync combining device like the ArcadeForge USA or Extron 201/202/203 Rxi.

4 BNC adapters seem cheap on eBay! I'll try it out - I have a spare PC with a compatible radeon that really doesn't take up much room. If it works out, my JVC can be a MAME and retro styled PC game display with my retro consoles in the living room via xrgb

That is, if the xrgb ever turns up

Morfeo

quite a while back in the XRGB mini thread on shmups, iirc. Good fucking luck, though. Might be better off searching "XRGB Mini Power Supply" or something on google.

It's also possible I'm losing my mind, but I'm fairly confident.

The thing is, I have had some issues but was sure that was because quite a few of my consoles are 50hz, and the Framemeister is set up for 60hz content primarily. Will have to get a cheap adaptor and check of the original plug fixes anything.

Mega

Banned
my TV is on the group where vWii actually looks better than GC or Wii with Component cables. 480p just looks pretty bad. that's the reason i'm looking forward to the OSSC since it could bypass my TV's bad image processing.
it's funny seeing the direct image captures showing the opposite of what the TV shows.

at least i have very low input lag so it's not all bad. better than having a nicer looking set that lags like hell.

My original Wii's cables are (literally) tied up in my CRT setup, but if I were to bring it over to my plasma alongside the Wii U, I think I would be in the same boat as you. My TV handles upscaling 480p much worse than 720p. While the direct caps showed vWii at 480p is indeed blurriest, the blobbiness I saw on the screen was actually coming from my TV's poor upscaling of 480p.

This is really just pertinent to me and my display, but I was able to rule out Wii U as the culprit for these blobby visuals by setting the console to 480p, using the HDFury to upscale output to 720p or 1080p, and the TV handles the rest. No blobs.

I also set the Wii U to 720p and 1080p and had the HD Fury downscale to 480p, forcing the TV to handle all the upscaling...the blobby graphics returned.

Contacted Baphomet for an RGB mod for my NES and he ignored it. Guys, what did I do?

He's a busy guy and probably missed your message or forgot to respond. Or the PM system swallowed up your message and he never received it. Try again.

Peltz

I sent him another pm. Fingers crossed :)

I decided to get my original toaster modded. In a year or two, I'll also get one of my Famicoms modded as well after I save up for it.

It's probably not the wisest choice. The Famicom AV is clearly the most versatile NES that I own and the one that I should be sending. But my toaster has so many memories associated with it. It was my first ever videogame device and the one personal possession I've owned longer than anything else (since before I could remember in fact). I sort of can't turn my back on that to make another NES my "main" system.

My toaster is going to get actively used, as long as possible, no matter how many modifications it takes.

Rich!

The stunning conclusion to the Framemeister saga! Glad it's turned up.

Well it hasn't arrived yet! But at least it's not lost

Just gotta get out of customs and into the royal mail - then I'll have it within a day. I guess it'll likely be Wednesday.

Grief.exe

Meanwhile, I ordered my Framemeister on Friday and it will be here today.

Forced to wait on my SCART adapter to come in from ebay on Wednesday though. I could sink to the depths of using S-Video, but I don't know if I'm willing to go to those levels of self harm.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Played like a minute of Prince of Persia on my new SFC, and I can barely see the screen because of the glare, but it seems to play very nicely with the OSSC. I'll take some pictures later.

Oh. And my God is it nice to have a Super Nintendo again. I haven't played an SNES game in 3 years.

Also, been playing a lotta Vampire Savior:

5m0jSoP.jpg

Morfeo

Played like a minute of Prince of Persia on my new SFC, and I can barely see the screen because of the glare, but it seems to play very nicely with the OSSC. I'll take some pictures later.

Oh. And my God is it nice to have a Super Nintendo again. I haven't played an SNES game in 3 years.

Also, been playing a lotta Vampire Savior:

5m0jSoP.jpg

Inspired by the breastfeeding ending?

rou021

I'm currently having some issues with my PVM and I'm wondering of somebody here might have an idea of what's wrong with it. Every so often, it'll show what looks like a red smear over the picture. It's random when it happens too. I'll power it on and it could be fine for a couple of hours or it might happen within twenty minutes. If I leave the monitor off for a couple of days or weeks, it'll then take several hours after powering on before it starts, but it always comes back. While powered on, it also intermittently goes away and comes back. It could be fine for a bit, then it turns red for several minutes, then it's normal, a half hour later it's back, and the cycle continues. It happens on every input and source I feed it. Here are some pictures of it:
http://imgur.com/mhSLCKQ
http://imgur.com/cIA8lhQ

I'm wondering if it might be something as simple as a dying capacitor (hopefully it isn't the tube), but I don't know for sure. The real trick, however, will be finding a place locally that can fix it and at a decent price. Either way, I was hoping to at least get an idea of what could be wrong with it so I can figure out a gameplan.

Edit: The pics won't show up embedded on my end. I'll just add the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom