• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Honestly, no. It's a convenient coincidence that I'd already been playing Vampire Savior on and off for the last week.

I have concluded that it's my favorite Capcom fighter. It's just so damn fun.

Its an amazing fighter for sure. Really looking forward to learn the game better and check out the other fighters as well, hoping they have similar surprises as Morrigan :)

Forced to wait on my SCART adapter to come in from ebay on Wednesday though. I could sink to the depths of using S-Video, but I don't know if I'm willing to go to those levels of self harm.

Imma start running all my shit on s-video just to bug you.

I'm actually going to see how my Voodoo3 looks over s-video output when that arrives.

Madao

Well it hasn't arrived yet! But at least it's not lost

Just gotta get out of customs and into the royal mail - then I'll have it within a day. I guess it'll likely be Wednesday.

see? i told you. postage is slow as hell to Europe.

you just needed some patience :p

My original Wii's cables are (literally) tied up in my CRT setup, but if I were to bring it over to my plasma alongside the Wii U, I think I would be in the same boat as you. My TV handles upscaling 480p much worse than 720p. While the direct caps showed vWii at 480p is indeed blurriest, the blobbiness I saw on the screen was actually coming from my TV's poor upscaling of 480p.

This is really just pertinent to me and my display, but I was able to rule out Wii U as the culprit for these blobby visuals by setting the console to 480p, using the HDFury to upscale output to 720p or 1080p, and the TV handles the rest. No blobs.

I also set the Wii U to 720p and 1080p and had the HD Fury downscale to 480p, forcing the TV to handle all the upscaling...the blobby graphics returned.

this kind of situation makes the OSSC pretty useful.

now i just have to make sure my TV upscales 720p well (there's like only one thing i play with 720p. a PS3 game)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Probably should've waited for the glare to dissipate before experimenting, but I didn't wanna wait.

NJ2UyOr.jpg

Weird to see SNES games in anything but composite. First time I've seen them with anything better, actually.

Also, that's 4 systems now (SNES, PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast) that I've used on the OSSC, and haven't had to tinker with a single setting. It just works.

Probably should've waited for the glare to dissipate before experimenting, but I didn't wanna wait.

Weird to see SNES games in anything but composite. First time I've seen them with anything better, actually.

Also, that's 4 systems now (SNES, PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast) that I've used on the OSSC, and haven't had to tinker with a single setting. It just works.

Looks damn good, man.

What sort of display are you using? Display compatibility is my only apprehension.

Danny Dudekisser

Looks damn good, man.

What sort of display are you using? Display compatibility is my only apprehension.

Sony LCD from 2014. Whatever the higher end model was that was good for games. I've been meaning to try it on my ASUS G-Sync IPS, because it'd probably be amaaaaazing on there (and I could try line-triple mode), but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess I could give that a shot if anyone cares to see it.

missile

I'm currently having some issues with my PVM and I'm wondering of somebody here might have an idea of what's wrong with it. Every so often, it'll show what looks like a red smear over the picture. It's random when it happens too. I'll power it on and it could be fine for a couple of hours or it might happen within twenty minutes. If I leave the monitor off for a couple of days or weeks, it'll then take several hours after powering on before it starts, but it always comes back. While powered on, it also intermittently goes away and comes back. It could be fine for a bit, then it turns red for several minutes, then it's normal, a half hour later it's back, and the cycle continues. It happens on every input and source I feed it. Here are some pictures of it:
http://imgur.com/mhSLCKQ
http://imgur.com/cIA8lhQ

I'm wondering if it might be something as simple as a dying capacitor (hopefully it isn't the tube), but I don't know for sure. The real trick, however, will be finding a place locally that can fix it and at a decent price. Either way, I was hoping to at least get an idea of what could be wrong with it so I can figure out a gameplan.

Edit: The pics won't show up embedded on my end. I'll just add the links.
What happens if you turn off color?

Sony LCD from 2014. Whatever the higher end model was that was good for games. I've been meaning to try it on my ASUS G-Sync IPS, because it'd probably be amaaaaazing on there (and I could try line-triple mode), but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess I could give that a shot if anyone cares to see it.

I'm using 1080p60 asus monitor, which is somewhat divorced but it would probably be a good indicator regardless, so please try it out.

Unrelated, my bad on that totally nonsensical response to your question in the OSSC thread a while back. Don't even know what I was thinking any more.

Rich!

Royal Mail tracking is working for my xrgb...

Item: RR9XXXXXX4JP
Your item, posted on 08/08/16 with reference RR90XXXXX34JP has been received at our international mail centre and is being made ready for despatch overseas.

Wait what? Its an inbound parcel, not outbound! Why is it going overseas?!

Im so confused right now. I really hope that's just a default message for when foreign parcels are initially scanned into the network.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Royal Mail tracking is working for my xrgb...

Item: RR9XXXXXX4JP
Your item, posted on 08/08/16 with reference RR90XXXXX34JP has been received at our international mail centre and is being made ready for despatch overseas.

Im so confused right now. I really hope that's just a default message for when foreign parcels are initially scanned into the network.
It's time to let go and surrender to fate. Your Framemeister will be safe at home soon enough
home being Japan. SAYONARA!!

Khaz

It's being sent back because you didn't collect it in time

Galdelico

Played like a minute of Prince of Persia on my new SFC, and I can barely see the screen because of the glare, but it seems to play very nicely with the OSSC. I'll take some pictures later.

Oh. And my God is it nice to have a Super Nintendo again. I haven't played an SNES game in 3 years.

Also, been playing a lotta Vampire Savior:

5m0jSoP.jpg

Holy mother... Saturn looks so good. I wish I could just buy this marvel right now...

I wish I could, I'd drive to London now!

Rich, can't you just call the customs/whatever Posts office your Mini is sitting at right now, identify yourself and tell them you'll collect your package (or even try to set up a new delivery)?

Peltz

Is vampire savior the same thing as darkstalkers?

That series confuses me with its naming conventions. How many installments are there?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Holy mother... Saturn looks so good. I wish I could just buy this marvel righn now...

But you can, its actually not that expensive either!

That series confuses me with its naming conventions. How many installments are there?

Its Darkstalkers 3.

Btw, Im happy to see your Framemeister seems to be turning up Rich
and secretly enjoying the ongoing drama

Rich!

Ha yeah

Royal mail tracking is abysmal. Never trust it. Also, voltage adapter is 100-240v adaptive so I can just plug it into a uk mains socket through a travel adapter. Yay

Galdelico

But you can, its actually not that expensive either!
I meant the OSSC, sorry. :)
Even though It's not my favourite fg on the Saturn, I own Vampire Savior.

Edit - Glad your odyssey ended well Rich!

This is the whole series: Vampire (aka Darkstalkers in the West) > Vampire Hunter > Vampire Savior > Vampire Hunter 2/Vampire Savior 2 (which weren't true sequels, but just altered versions of Savior, released simultaneously and including a few exclusive characters each).

Peltz

This is the whole series: Vampire (aka Darkstalkers in the West) > Vampire Hunter > Vampire Savior > Vampire Hunter 2/Vampire Savior 2 (which weren't true sequels, but just altered versions of Savior, released simultaneously and including a few exclusive characters each).

Oh... how intuitive... :-/

Capcoms gonna Capcom I guess.

D.Lo

Also, the Saturn version of Vampire Saviour is sort of a megamix of Saviour 1 and Saviour 2/Hunter 2, since it has all characters from all versions.

ToD_

How does the OSSC handle non-square pixel resolutions such as Capcom CPS games and SNES? Does it stretch them to 4:3?

Edit: It looks like it does well with 256x240. Still, I'm curious how it handles something like 384x240. I'm assuming it may just not do perfect integer scaling, but it will no doubt still look great.

Peltz

How does the OSSC handle non-square pixel resolutions such as Capcom CPS games and SNES? Does it stretch them to 4:3?

Edit: It looks like it does well with 256x240. Still, I'm curious how it handles something like 384x240. I'm assuming it may just not do perfect integer scaling, but it will no doubt still look great.
To my eye, SNES looked correct at 4:3 aspect ratio and not 8:7. But it's been a while since I've used my mini.

Edit: reading comprehension fail.

Rich!

May need to rewire my SFC Jr for c-sync ...we shall see

Gotta walk home from work (as usual, I walk there and back each day, 10 miles round trip) before I can test it all out. Got 40 mins or so left until I get back, gotta pick up some rgb level quality celebratory beer on the way

Lettuce

Aww yeah, just got a shipping confirmation for my gscartsw.

I seriously cant understand the asking price for this item!? I know that it has 8 scart inputs, VGA input, phono inputs and doesn't produce any noise on the signal but there are other scart products about (like the one made by Bandridge) that give the same quality in picture and are the 5th of the price of the gscartsw!. So what are you paying a premium for?, just the 8 scart ports?......doesnt seem worth it to me!

I can't speak for the OSSC directly, but since it's doing analog->digital it doesn't really need to "handle" anything. The timing of the scans output on the wire directly "scale" 256x240 out to 4:3. The OSSC and any video ADC will just sample the lines (let's say 720 samples per line) to create new pixels to output, inherently picking up some "pixels" that are in between the SNES native pixels and getting a smoothly scaled result of effectively 256 to 720 pixels.

Peltz

I seriously cant understand the asking price for this item!? I know that it has 8 scart inputs, VGA input, phono inputs and doesn't produce any noise on the signal but there are other scart products about (like the one made by Bandridge) that give the same quality in picture and are the 5th of the price of the gscartsw!. So what are you paying a premium for?, just the 8 scart ports?......doesnt seem worth it to me!

Build quality I think. Honestly, it looks like the best device out there, but yea, it would be nice to see it down to $150 or so.

I don't get it either. Dual outputs and VGA output seems neat, but there are plenty of options to achieve that without paying that much.

My £15 hama switch is built like a tank

Had a Hama switch, thing was a savage beast.

BlStinger

Neo Member
OSSC GAF, has anyone connected an NTSC SNES directly to the OSSC via SCART? If you did, is your cable csync or sync on luma? While my limited understanding of sync is that csync is preferred, there's a post on the videogameperfection forum about an issue with a retro_console_accessories cable with a built-in sync cleaner/booster interfering with the OSSC's SCART input.

I'm pumped to finally have an upscaler, and a solid one at that. The OSSC has been totally plug-and-play for me so far, and the few games I've tried that transition from 240p to 480i change resolutions practically seamlessly.

ToD_

I can't speak for the OSSC directly, but since it's doing analog->digital it doesn't really need to "handle" anything. The timing of the scans output on the wire directly "scale" 256x240 out to 4:3. The OSSC and any video ADC will just sample the lines (let's say 720 samples per line) to create new pixels to output, inherently picking up some "pixels" that are in between the SNES native pixels and getting a smoothly scaled result of effectively 256 to 720 pixels.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'm so used to thinking about scaling digital images that I didn't even consider that.

Danny Dudekisser

OSSC GAF, has anyone connected an NTSC SNES directly to the OSSC via SCART? If you did, is your cable csync or sync on luma? While my limited understanding of sync is that csync is preferred, there's a post on the videogameperfection forum about an issue with a retro_console_accessories cable with a built-in sync cleaner/booster interfering with the OSSC's SCART input.

I'm pumped to finally have an upscaler, and a solid one at that. The OSSC has been totally plug-and-play for me so far, and the few games I've tried that transition from 240p to 480i change resolutions practically seamlessly.

Yeah, the shots I took above were using a JP system, hooked up with retro_console_accessories SNES CSync cable (with the coax upgrade, if that makes any difference.) No issues whatsoever.

Peagles

Really!?, it uses a hobby grade acrylic 'case'.....and i use the term 'case' very tentatively!

Yeh, I'd say it's probably more down to it being custom made, very small production numbers, etc.

Surely to mass produce something like that would be cheaper.

Lettuce

Yeh, I'd say it's probably more down to it being custom made, very small production numbers, etc.

Surely to mass produce something like that would be cheaper.

Dont get me wrong it seems the tits but i just cant justify the price tag for, if you break it down its just a well made scart switcher. That said i have noticed the Bandridge scart switchers have rocketed up in price since i bought mine a few years back!

Balb

The price stings and there's no way I can sugar coat that, but it fits my needs perfectly with the 8 ports, 2 output options, automatic switching and the overall video signal quality. It's really hard to find a switch that ticks all of these boxes - especially outside of Europe.

Danny Dudekisser

I've got no objections to throwing money at dumb shit... but the gscartsw... does it degrade the signal? Dunno why, but I'm like... hyper-concerned about throwing any more devices into the mix than I absolutely have to, because I want to avoid any quality loss and don't want to introduce additional lag when switching between 240p and 480i, for instance.

Balb

I've got no objections to throwing money at dumb shit... but the gscartsw... does it degrade the signal? Dunno why, but I'm like... hyper-concerned about throwing any more devices into the mix than I absolutely have to, because I want to avoid any quality loss and don't want to introduce additional lag when switching between 240p and 480i, for instance.

I don't have it in my hands yet to test it for myself, but notable people in the community like phonedork, RetroRGB and the My Life in Gaming guys have had nothing but praise for it as far as the video signal quality goes.

Lettuce

Well its powered so if anything it should boost the signal ever so slightly and the people over at shmups forum swear by it

Danny Dudekisser

I have to admit -- I love the idea of it automatically switching for me. Now that I have 3 JP21 cables I'm swapping between, I am quickly remembering the bad 'ol days of having to having one input to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom