• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

If you tell Solaris they will reimburse you, then they will file a complaint to their post office so that their insurance can compensate them.

Rich!

If you tell Solaris they will reimburse you, then they will file a complaint to their post office so that their insurance can compensate them.

Yeah, I already told them and they responded within half an hour...really good service. their response was to wait until Wednesday then they will take up a claim with Japan Post if there is no change.

If they reimburse me that would be great. I'm still worried they wouldn't be able to though.

Galdelico

I see. I totally understand your feelings, but I'd wait just another week, before giving up hope.

It's a complete different story, because I usually buy less expensive stuff, which comes from private sellers, rather than web-stores like Solaris... Buy yeah, everytime I buy from Japan I always ask for registered airmail. Sure it's kinda slow to get to my door, and sits down for one week at customs systematically, but the tracking number gets converted into Italian registered parcel, once it arrives in Italy, and it never goes out of radar.

Rich!

I see. I totally understand your feelings, but I'd wait just another week, before giving up hope.

It's a complete different story, because I usually buy less expensive stuff, which comes from private sellers, rather than web-stores like Solaris... Buy yeah, everytime I buy from Japan I always ask for registered airmail. Sure it's kinda slow to get to my door, and sits down for one week at customs systematically, but the tracking number gets converted into Italian registered parcel, once it arrives in Italy, and it never goes out of my radar.

Yep. Mine is fully registered and tracked too. But that doesn't mean anything when it's lost. Other than proving my case, of course.

Rich!

Who is that in your avy?

maxresdefault.jpg

J7NFMdh.jpg

Nagito Komaeda from Danganronpa. Has an almost godlike level of luck - which usually results in bad luck for others around him.

Also imo one of the greatest examples I have ever encountered in gaming in terms of development and character. Ever. Singlehandedly turns DR2 into the greatest example of shit got real I have ever seen

krae_man

Has anyone every used something like this?

What I'm trying to do is use my Laptop as a monitor for a SNES(although I may fool around with capturing later).

Will that work?

Basically, I'm going to be using it at a bar and I'll probably use a clone handheld I have since I can't guarantee access to a TV or an outlet. Will this work and be decent?

Rich!

Has anyone every used something like this?

What I'm trying to do is use my Laptop as a monitor for a SNES(although I may fool around with capturing later).

Will that work?

Basically, I'm going to be using it at a bar and I'll probably use a clone handheld I have since I can't guarantee access to a TV or an outlet. Will this work and be decent?

Get ready for serious lag and composhit quality image

It will be nearly unplayable.

Timu

maxresdefault.jpg

J7NFMdh.jpg

Nagito Komaeda from Danganronpa. Has an almost godlike level of luck - which usually results in bad luck for others around him.

Also imo one of the greatest examples I have ever encountered in gaming in terms of development and character. Ever. Singlehandedly turns DR2 into the greatest example of shit got real I have ever seen
Oh yeah, I heard of that but haven't seen it, sounds interesting.

Galdelico

Any advice to give to someone who is willing to post a 17" JVC monitor?

My first contact with PVMworld has been quite brutal, but that was due to an old and crappy monitor... The shipping itself didn't add any problem. That was a little 14" PVM, though, while this new one is a JVC TMH1750C. Is there anything especially useful, when it comes to pack a monitor like that, in order to expect and get it safe? The seller seems trustworthy, but he told me he never posted anything like that before, and sounded pretty much clueless.

Rich!

Any advice to give to someone who is willing to post a 17" JVC monitor?

My first contact with PVMworld has been quite brutal, but that was due to an old and crappy monitor... The shipping itself didn't add any problem. That was a little 14" PVM, while this new one is a JVC TMH1750C. Is there anything especially useful, when it comes to pack a monitor like that, in order to expect and get it safe?

Screen down....apparently.

Grief.exe

Just phoned Parcelforce who directed me to royal mail who directed me to HMRC who directed me to HWDC. My parcel is likely lost.

I am beyond fucking livid right now. £280 down the fucking drain. I contacted Solaris Japan and they said they can't do anything for another week, but even then I'm still fucked.

Tracking ends at overseas despatch from Tokyo. I've spoken to royal mail, parcelforce, hmrc and Japan post - they all say it is unusual to not have been scanned in yet, and would have been scanned even if in customs. They also said my tracking number would work all the way to final delivery.

Only reason it hasn't been updated is because it's lost. It should have reached Heathrow two weeks ago.

The only hope I have is that 1. I might have insurance via Japan post...maybe? 2. I paid for it via PayPal with the majority from my credit card, so I could go that route via claiming if lost I guess...

You will probably be reimbursed for your list items, if they are indeed lost, but it will be a frustrating process.

Galdelico

Screen down....apparently.

Thanks and... Nevermind. It's disheartening to realize how a good 90% of the people who deal in this PVM/pro monitors market, here in Italy, seem to be nothing more than dodgy scammers. :/
Hopefully, I'll be able to get my hands on an OSSC unit before I'm too old, lol. :D

Peagles

Fingers crossed for you Rich!

When my stuff gets lost I always worry that I'll have to get reimbursed through the postal system and they will only pay out the value written on the customs slip, and when most sellers undervalue stuff (even though I don't ask them to) I feel like that's a huge risk.

Rich!

Fingers crossed for you Rich!

When my stuff gets lost I always worry that I'll have to get reimbursed through the postal system and they will only pay out the value written on the customs slip, and when most sellers undervalue stuff (even though I don't ask them to) I feel like that's a huge risk.

eek

yeah uh...it's valued on the customs form as £18.

Khaz

It shouldn't matter. A shipment is the responsibility of the seller up until it's in your mailbox / you signed for it. The choice of the transporter, the value declaration, any damage or loss is their responsibility, not the client's. Some sellers give their client the choice, to be more competitive or to attract customers, but ultimately it's on them entirely.

I've never encountered a professional seller who gave me any sort of trouble when a package wasn't delivered or arrived broken. They will reimburse you the price you paid for the item you didn't get or send another parcel, and deal with their postal service to get their value back. If they underestimated the value to dodge taxes, it's their loss, not yours. Even if they did it at your demand.

The real risk is with mail forwarding services. As they don't sell you the product, you have de facto more responsibility. The original seller fulfilled their side of the contract and successfully delivered the item they sold to the address you gave. The mail forwarder, while still responsible for the shipment, will only refund you the value you asked them to fill on the customs declaration if the parcel ever gets lost. Damages are ultimately on you too, even though you can ask them to file a complaint and they would give you whatever money they can get off their insurance company.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm now in the possession of a 720p lag tester. For curiosity's sake, I decided to use it on the XRGB-3 (which is capable of handling 720p inputs, but not 1080p inputs).

From past experience with this style of lag tester, I can tell there's a margin of error of a few tenths of a millisecond; if you keep it positioned in the same sensor for long enough, the reading will fluctuate in either direction just a little bit. I've never seen it vary by more than 0.5ms, though.

Flow:
testing device -> HDMI -> HDFury2 -> VGA -> XRGB-3 (B1 mode) -> VGA -> monitor

xrgb3lagtest.jpg

So, I'm pretty confident in saying that the XRGB-3 has less than a single millisecond of lag when all is said and done. (Yes, it's weird that the bottom marker's reading is actually lower on the XRGB-3 than it is with a direct input. I wouldn't read too much into it though. Like I said, there's a small margin of error with this thing. The important takeaway is that the readings fall within that margin of error.)

televator

Ah interesting- so I won't actually lose anything at 640x480?

Yeah, if anything, I think there's another problem where 720 horizontal gets squished into 480 horizontal. This makes the picture look narrow. Maybe it's just my imagination, but when I play MvC2 stages feel a little cramped. YMMV

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ah interesting- so I won't actually lose anything at 640x480?

If you're connecting a Dreamcast VGA source, you want to pick 720x480 as the input resolution, because that's what the Dreamcast outputs. Picking 640 will squish the image.

Mega

Banned
I'm now in the possession of a 720p lag tester. For curiosity's sake, I decided to use it on the XRGB-3 (which is capable of handling 720p inputs, but not 1080p inputs).

From past experience with this style of lag tester, I can tell there's a margin of error of a few tenths of a millisecond; if you keep it positioned in the same sensor for long enough, the reading will fluctuate in either direction just a little bit. I've never seen it vary by more than 0.5ms, though.

Flow:

The HDFury basically adds no lag, correct? Appears that way from your test. I have a HDFury IV and was always curious. It's advertised on its site as adding no lag in the conversion to RGB or Component.

How difficult/expensive is it to fix the component inputs on a CRT? I have a decent old Sony Wega that I'd like to use for more SD games, but only the composite inputs currently work.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just phoned Parcelforce who directed me to royal mail who directed me to HMRC who directed me to HWDC. My parcel is likely lost.

I am beyond fucking livid right now. £280 down the fucking drain. I contacted Solaris Japan and they said they can't do anything for another week, but even then I'm still fucked.

Wow, for real? Feel terrible for you :( Really hope it shows up!

Peagles

eek

yeah uh...it's valued on the customs form as £18.

I'm sure Solaris will replace it for you. Prob nothing to worry about.

The only thing similar I've had recently was a First 4 Figures statue that customs decided had drugs hidden inside and drilled into the base. Ugh...

First 4 Figures just sent me a new base after seeing photos of the damaged one. I was worried initially cos they only put $50 USD on all their parcels even though they cost a lot more than that.

Rich!

Wow, for real? Feel terrible for you :( Really hope it shows up!

thanks

I'll have to just wait and see! I was told by a girl at parcelforce that there's two weeks backlog at customs, but no one else has been able to back that claim up. The worst case scenario is it gets past another week, still doesn't arrive or update and I have to seek a refund via paypal/mastercard if Solaris don't reimburse me.

and then there's always the possible chance it may just turn up three months down the line after that and I end up with a free xrgb. I guess that'd be something - it happened with an everdrive before!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm sure Solaris will replace it for you. Prob nothing to worry about.

The only thing similar I've had recently was a First 4 Figures statue that customs decided had drugs hidden inside and drilled into the base. Ugh...

First 4 Figures just sent me a new base after seeing photos of the damaged one. I was worried initially cos they only put $50 USD on all their parcels even though they cost a lot more than that.

What kind of drugs did you buy?

Grief.exe

Flow:

xrgb3lagtest.jpg

So, I'm pretty confident in saying that the XRGB-3 has less than a single millisecond of lag when all is said and done. (Yes, it's weird that the bottom marker's reading is actually lower on the XRGB-3 than it is with a direct input. I wouldn't read too much into it though. Like I said, there's a small margin of error with this thing. The important takeaway is that the readings fall within that margin of error.)

Nice testing, good info there.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, what is the Y axis?

Rich!

according to the OSSC mailing list, i'm #4XX.

that's good news i guess?

better than my ~700. You'll get it in about four months from now, presumably

also delete that number. anyone could use it to go onto your subscription and cancel it.

Mr.Fusion

If I wanted to sort of casually get into retro gaming, I about 10 old SNES games currently, should I buy an actual SNES and Genesis or buy something like the Retro Bit Trio? I have an old 24 inch Sony Trinitron flat screen to use with them, which does have component in (480i).

JLynn

If I wanted to sort of casually get into retro gaming, I about 10 old SNES games currently, should I buy an actual SNES and Genesis or buy something like the Retro Bit Trio? I have an old 24 inch Sony Trinitron flat screen to use with them, which does have component in (480i).

Get an actual Super Nintendo.

Grief.exe

Retro RGB should get you started by comparing the different versions of the Super Nintendo. All of the versions of SNES support RGB output, but some have better image quality than others (Modded Mini > 1Chip Revisions > Original).

I'm guessing you would also need a SCART to component adapter, but you may be able to skip this step entirely and go straight to component output from the SNES. Someone who actually uses a CRT will be able to give better information than me on this.

If a SCART output is indeed the best option, this seller on ebay is the best place to get the cables. Though she doesn't have any up right now, she restocks frequently.

dubc35

Perhaps not a popular suggestion for this thread but since you said casually, I would say an actual Snes (as mentioned already) and then maybe an S-video cable assuming your TV takes it. If you're not planning on doing a ton of gaming that will get you a decent image and will be the cheapest (cable-wise). If you end up playing a lot and desire a better image then you could go further into the depths of RGB.

...I'll show myself the door lol

KingErich

Banned
I got a Retropie going now. I am considering taking an old CRT TV from a friend. Will hooking up the Pie via Composite give me the authentic look (scanlines and such)?

Right now I have it hooked to my LCD and have the scanline filter enabled.

I want to start building a retro setup. I just picked up a N64 and a bunch of games. :)

Timu

I need an XRGB mini!!! Might get one next year or 2018! I need an all in one solution for just 1 capture card!

I want to use component for both PS2 and Xbox on the XRGB mini, would this adapter be required to use those connections?

DTComponentF_large.png

Rich!

Casual SNES on a Trinitron would be actual SNES, HD Retrovision cable (or S-Video if your TV supports that), and an Everdrive.

or like, just use an rgb scart cable directly into the scart socket on the trinitron if you're anywhere other than the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom