• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balb

Why do XRGB mini prices fluctuate so much on Solaris? Is it purely an exchange rate thing? Sometimes it's $340 and then a few weeks later it'll be $365.

Why do XRGB mini prices fluctuate so much on Solaris? Is it purely an exchange rate thing? Sometimes it's $340 and then a few weeks later it'll be $365.

mostly it's exchange rate, yeah. yen:dollar ratio has been steadily evening out again, thus the price goes up.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Changed screen set from "normal" to "smart_x1" I think im getting closer:

bxWTfiw.jpg

Smart_x2 is completely fucked up though, which is strange as I though it would be the same just twice the res?

Changed screen set from "normal" to "smart_x1" I think im getting closer:

Smart_x2 is completely fucked up though, which is strange as I though it would be the same just twice the res?
Can you lay out your scaling settings and everything? smart 2 should definitely give you good scanlines unless your scaling settings are fucked.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
On the TV: Full Picture

On the Meister:
Scale: Auto
Zoom: Off

But you know what, I just tested Smart_x2 again - and this time it looks much cleaner! I have done one important change though. My Snes is a pal-machine that is modded with a 50/60hz switch - and it looked fucked up when i tested it with Super Mario World (in 50hz) - but now looks clean and good with Rockman Forte (in 60hz).

RGB cable arrived. There's an immediate step up in picture clarity. My TV actually recognizes that it's RGB and switches the signal automatically once my PS1 turns on, which is something it's never done before.

There is one negative that I've noticed however. The video is now slightly more to the left, cutting off part of the screen. This isn't much of a problem for games that let you adjust the screen position, but for the games that don't it's really annoying.

KC-Slater

Do you have a disc ripper that you recommend?

I use Discjuggler. It works great and is the only software I am aware of that will create .cdi files. It's pretty straight forward, but it's a pain if you don't have a Windows PC. You have to jump through hoops if you are trying to run it on a Mac, even with Boot Camp installed.

The optional menu for RHEA/PHOEBE only officially supports .MDF and .CDI, so that's what I'm personally trying to limit my library to.

I used imgburn based off a youtube recommendation

Would this work on a Mac? What file format(s) does this rip to? .MDF?

Vespa

RGB cable arrived. There's an immediate step up in picture clarity. My TV actually recognizes that it's RGB and switches the signal automatically once my PS1 turns on, which is something it's never done before.

There is one negative that I've noticed however. The video is now slightly more to the left, cutting off part of the screen. This isn't much of a problem for games that let you adjust the screen position, but for the games that don't it's really annoying.

Nice, post some pics!

Hmm my Sony TV does the same but can be corrected within the service menu. Did you say you tried googling your TV model for a service menu?

Galdelico

Nice, post some pics!

Hmm my Sony TV does the same but can be corrected within the service menu. Did you say you tried googling your TV model for a service menu?
Some Trinitron TVs also have an 'RGB adjust/centering' option (can't remember the exact name), than can be accessed via remote, under Menu -> Set Up -> Detail Set Up.

Nice, post some pics!

Well, I've just spent 40 mintues trying to find a way to get into the service menu with no luck at all. My TV is a Matsui 20t10, and I can't find anything on it at all. There's a general guide for Matsui service menus, but none of the steps work for this model it seems.

Vespa

Well, I've just spent 40 mintues trying to find a way to get into the service menu with no luck at all. My TV is a Matsui 20t10, and I can't find anything on it at all. There's a general guide for Matsui service menus, but none of the steps work for this model it seems.

Was it this page listing three methods? This page has a fourth method not on the other page, worth a try:

* Press the {MENU} button.
or
* Press the {MENU} button and access the 'Install' Menu.

* Then press the {4} {7} {2} {5} buttons.

* The Service Menu will be displayed.

* Use the {UP} {DOWN} buttons to select items.
* Use the {LEFT} {RIGHT} buttons to change settings.

* To exit, press the {MENU} or {EXIT} buttons.

Khaz

You may have more luck with the chassis model. According to this, the TV is based on the BEKO 12.5 or 12.7. Try to find a service manual for either, it should contain the cheat code to get into the service menu. Different chassis have different codes, but different TVs (brands) with the same chassis have the same code.

You may have more luck with the chassis model. According to this, the TV is based on the BEKO 12.5 or 12.7. Try to find a service manual for either, it should contain the cheat code to get into the service menu. Different chassis have different codes, but different TVs (brands) with the same chassis have the same code.

I could kiss you right now.

The Beko 12.7's method worked.

Vespa

Awesome, Khaz! Glad it worked for you, YesManKablam.

Pricey? That's less than the price one of those went for on uk ebay recently.

I saw a 20M4E sell for £240 at auction the other week.

Paid £20 for mine last year. Almost makes me want to cash in, but then I'd be left without a display. Except for my KX-14CP1 mind...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I saw a 20M4E sell for £240 at auction the other week.

Paid £20 for mine last year. Almost makes me want to cash in, but then I'd be left without a display. Except for my KX-14CP1 mind...

I always feel like I get in a year or two too late on this shit. The good displays are getting ridiculously priced and they're in increasingly short supply.

If I had a place to put it I'd contact the bloke I bought my JVC from. He had a 20" Sony PVM he wanted $250 for, practically untouched, but I wasn't ready to buy something that expensive or that big at the time.

BTails

I've been getting a lot of buzzing from my Genesis... Did some trouble shooting and it The buzzing was actually coming from the RCA-in on the front of my Framemeister! Going directly into my amplifier alleviated the situation instantly.

Anyone else have this issue? Not a big deal for me as the Genesis is the only system I used those RCAs for, but still interesting.

I ended up cranking Sonic 2 now that I can jack the volume, buzz free. What an awesome soundtrack.

I've been getting a lot of buzzing from my Genesis... Did some trouble shooting and it The buzzing was actually coming from the RCA-in on the front of my Framemeister! Going directly into my amplifier alleviated the situation instantly.

Anyone else have this issue? Not a big deal for me as the Genesis is the only system I used those RCAs for, but still interesting.

I ended up cranking Sonic 2 now that I can jack the volume, buzz free. What an awesome soundtrack.
holy shit I might. Been noticing it on my mixer. Oddly, it goes away when I don't mix in my computer audio. Does it get worse on bright scenes?

Peagles

Anyone know how fiddly the OSSC DIY kit is? I'm vaguely tempted to just grab one of those but then I don't want to get a case of the fuckits and just leave it in a bag somewhere lol.

Rich!

Anyone know how fiddly the OSSC DIY kit is? I'm vaguely tempted to just grab one of those but then I don't want to get a case of the fuckits and just leave it in a bag somewhere lol.

Most of the parts you need to source yourself according to the new newsletter, you just get the bare bones essentials.

Peagles

Most of the parts you need to source yourself according to the new newsletter, you just get the bare bones essentials.

Hmm, lame. By the time I pay to ship all the stuff here it probably won't save me much then. I guess I got fooled by the kit list, maybe it's a list of what you need rather than what's provided...

Vespa

Seems like it's just the pcb and then you'd have to source the parts separately. A friend looked it over and said it would probably best built with a reflow oven too.

I wonder how long before we see some copies of it coming out of China.

Seems like it's just the pcb and then you'd have to source the parts separately. A friend looked it over and said it would probably best built with a reflow oven too.

I wonder how long before we see some copies of it coming out of China.
No, there are two kits. One is barebones and you have to source parts, the other comes with everything.

Vespa

No, there are two kits. One is barebones and you have to source parts, the other comes with everything.

Ah, I was just going by the one sold on videogameperfection which is just the barebones. Where can you get the full kit? Interested to see how much it costs.

Half a year later I am finally ready to use my framemeister. Does anyone know any good websites that test out settings for PAL consoles? (SNES, PS2, Wii) Saves me time from tinkering like a madman.

Are there any multiconsoles that output RGB? I know the Super Retro Trio and the Retron 3 have S-Video, but I can't seem to find any that do RGB. Or, is there a way to convert HDMI to RGB SCART? I know they're two different systems, but is there a convertor box or anything like that?

Mega

Banned
Are there any multiconsoles that output RGB? I know the Super Retro Trio and the Retron 3 have S-Video, but I can't seem to find any that do RGB. Or, is there a way to convert HDMI to RGB SCART? I know they're two different systems, but is there a convertor box or anything like that?

Those boxes are emulators. I'm assuming you have a RGB and Component capable CRT. In that case, you're much better off using a Wii softmodded with the Homebrew Channel and emulators. Both cheaper and better.

Those boxes are emulators. I'm assuming you have a RGB and Component capable CRT. In that case, you're much better off using a Wii softmodded with the Homebrew Channel and emulators. Both cheaper and better.

My CRT is RGB SCART only, but I'm presuming the Wii has something that can do that. I'll look into the Wii then. Anything I should look out for, like specific models and the like?

Vespa

£150. Put together in and shipped from the UK.

Oh that's the pre-built one. I thought you were talking about the diy kit that comes with the parts but still needs assembling. I might be confusing everyone lol

1) Pre-built OSSC - £150
2) Barebones DIY kit - £38
3) All parts supplied but need assembling DIY kit - ???

One and two are listed on videogamepefection, just curious how much the third option is that NormalFish alluded too.

Mega

Banned
My CRT is RGB SCART only, but I'm presuming the Wii has something that can do that. I'll look into the Wii then. Anything I should look out for, like specific models and the like?

PAL Wii supports RGB. Or you could get a NTSC Wii and use a region changing homebrew app to force PAL60 for RGB.

You want the original Wii RVL-001 console, not the ones that came after. 99% of systems in the wild will be the correct one and they're easy to tell apart, so it's nothing to worry about.

I think Mega uses the HD Fury 4 to convert HDMI to RGB SCART and play games like AM2R and Freedom Planet in 240p on a CRT.

HDFury can't convert down to 240p, minimum is 480p. I only used it to:
1. Convert Ultra HDMI N64 to analog signals and test it out on a 480p/720p capable CRT
2. Test the various Wii U resolution settings with the Fury's HDMI passthrough (no signal conversion) and up/down scaler to determine what looks best on my TV.

AM2R and Freedom Planet were on my GroovyMAME PC with CRT Emudriver... native 15KHz/240p output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom