• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I can't do that. I wouldn't be able to stand that old high pitch noise of it being on.

The good news is that the older you get the less able you are to hear high-frequency sounds. My teen and preteen nephews find my PVM's whine almost unbearable, but I hardly notice it. Come, join the rest of us in the land of the elderly and decrepit.

Mega

Banned
Ugh, am I the only one who has forgotten to turn off their PVM? Left it on all night (no systems on). Hopefully not a big deal.

I forget all the time until I have to go to sleep and can see it "on" (and the tiny power light) in my completely dark room. It shouldn't be any problem.

My CRT is right next to my bed and I can definitely see it very faintly glowing in a dark room, even when turned off.

Thanks, I knew it wasn't just a trick of my eyes.

I just popped by to say that I also love the PVM starting BOINK- sound and I did not know it was due to degaussing.

I thought my first PVM was busted when I heard that sound and had to look it up. I mean, it was busted, not due to the sound but because UPS smashed the screen which permanently fucked up the purity.

Just picked up an old but quite neat Philips 21CE1250

21" with a nice tube, from around 1988.

Does RGB scart.

07HOmZ8.jpg

Conezays

Hah, thanks for those easing my fears regarding the PVM. While I do feel a little senile, my hearing is generally pretty good coming from a music background. Wouldn't say my PVM makes much of a squeal; my CRT is definitely a little noisy though.

Peltz

I can't tell if you're being facetious, but if you're not, I really don't agree lol.

Facetious but not untruthful.

I kind of like hearing the degauss when I switch mine on though. The big Boinc sound telling you that it means business, shit is going to get real. Same with the static when I turn the screen off, which sounds like pixie dust going away, taking its RGB magic with it.

My man.

Rich!

Quick question about PVMs

The Sony I'm getting on Saturday has BNC inputs and outputs. Does the monitor have to be turned on for them to function as a passthrough?

Just trying to work out how to get my xrgb and a pvm hooked up to the same source without cable swapping.

But really unhooking a scart cable and plugging it into a different adapter isn't that much hard work I guess.

Khaz

There's no reason it shouldn't work with the monitor off. You may be better off with a splitter though, to minimise cable length. And does it pass the audio too?

Remember that Scart-BNC cables are directional, Sync isn't on the same pin for input and output. You might have to do some soldering to correct that, as I believe most (all?) adapters are made to go into a PVM, not out of.

[edit] And your xrgb may be unhappy about the lack of fast switch pin. It's something to consider too.

There's no reason it shouldn't work with the monitor off. You may be better off with a splitter though, to minimise cable length. And does it pass the audio too?

Remember that Scart-BNC cables are directional, Sync isn't on the same pin for input and output. You might have to do some soldering to correct that, as I believe most (all?) adapters are made to go into a PVM, not out of.

[edit] And your xrgb may be unhappy about the lack of fast switch pin. It's something to consider too.

Retro Gaming Cables has an option for their SCART to BNC adapter that let's you specify the direction. I'm using it to go from my Extron Crosspoint to my Framemeister.

Rich!

My girlfriend hasn't seen the front of the JVC I have yet (screen is facing the wall). I'm just gonna put the JVC into storage and if she says anything about the Sony PVM, ill just say "oh it's the one that used to be in the other room that I've always had"

Flawless plan

grendelrt

Quick question about PVMs

The Sony I'm getting on Saturday has BNC inputs and outputs. Does the monitor have to be turned on for them to function as a passthrough?

Just trying to work out how to get my xrgb and a pvm hooked up to the same source without cable swapping.

But really unhooking a scart cable and plugging it into a different adapter isn't that much hard work I guess.

I have two PVMs one vertical and one horizontal , I run everything to the vertical one that has outputs then from there to the horizontal one, the vertical doesnt have to be on when I want to run just the horizontal one.

Einhandr

My girlfriend hasn't seen the front of the JVC I have yet (screen is facing the wall). I'm just gonna put the JVC into storage and if she says anything about the Sony PVM, ill just say "oh it's the one that used to be in the other room that I've always had"

Flawless plan

I've tried something similar. My problem is I can't keep a straight face, totally blew it.

Flawless plan

Don't suppose I can offload my 9" PVM off on you too? lol

Gonna sit in my garage otherwise. Gratis, of course.

entremet

Depends on the game. I think Mario looks pretty great on composite.

Do you have any Dragon Warrior game? The composite dot crawl gave me a horrible shimmer on the trees in those games, enough that it led me to RGB mod my AV Fami.

Nope. Mostly action games still.

Khaz

The grid background at the beginning of Salamander is terrible in Composite. The whole screen is shaking with dot crawl.

Mega

Banned

Flawless plan

I wouldn't hide stuff like that. It sets a tone that undermines you doing what you want with your money and space.

Huggers

Had been seriously considering selling my beloved BVM to fund another gaming project but I just can't bring myself to do it. I know I'll never get another one with the prices and rarity these days. Good news is came into some dosh so the other project is a go anyway. Close call!

Balb

Had been seriously considering selling my beloved BVM to fund another gaming project but I just can't bring myself to do it. I know I'll never get another one with the prices and rarity these days. Good news is came into some dosh so the other project is a go anyway. Close call!

I wouldn't sell a BVM unless I absolutely had to, as they've become scarcer and scarcer every year.

Huggers

I wouldn't sell a BVM unless I absolutely had to, as they've become scarcer and scarcer every year.

Yeah I'm definitely going to keep it. Can't go back to a consumer crt now really and I'm not really a fan of upscalers. As you say, getting rare now as every retro game has clocked onto how good they are

Mega

Banned
I sold a 20" PVM and 20" BVM, but I didn't mind since I had already obtained a higher end model with low hours + having several other comparable pro CRTs as backups. I do agree on not selling off the one good BVM you have. I don't see them for what they used to go for online. Different situation out in the wild.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
One day I'm hoping to come across an old Commodore 64 monitor. That's my holy grail of CRTs. Unfortunately as time marches on they're likely deteriorating more and more.

Commodore_1702.jpg

Huggers

I sold a 20" PVM and 20" BVM, but I didn't mind since I had already obtained a higher end model with low hours + having several other comparable pro CRTs as backups. I do agree on not selling off the one good BVM you have. I don't see them for what they used to go for online. Different situation out in the wild.

Yeah if anything I might try and grab a cheap PVM out in the wild if I ever get lucky.I'd quite like to keep the BVM for landscape stuff and have another for portrait

One day I'm hoping to come across an old Commodore 64 monitor. That's my holy grail of CRTs. Unfortunately as time marches on they're likely deteriorating more and more.

Commodore_1702.jpg

Kinda miss my Commodore 1081. Had direct SCART but mono sound only. There's a purity to a 15kHz monitor, just looks really crisp.

Mega

Banned

Commodore_1702.jpg

The TM-A130SU and TM-A13SU we have are considered the direct spiritual successors to the Commodore 1702 monitor, made by the same manufacturer (JVC) with very similar tube and specs. Would be cool to have the original for aesthetics, but PQ-wise it may just be a worn-out version of what you already have at home.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The TM-A130SU and TM-A13SU we have are considered the direct spiritual successors to the Commodore 1702 monitor, made by the same manufacturer (JVC) with very similar tube and specs. Would be cool to have the original for aesthetics, but PQ-wise it may just be a worn-out version of what you already have at home.

True. I just love that classic beige casing.

Peltz

Commodore_1702.jpg
That's a stunning looking chassis. Gorgeous set.

Makes the PVM line look like shit aesthetically.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man, that thing reminds me of the Magnavox Perfect View I wanted earlier this year:

s-l400.jpg

There's something about Red-colored CRT TVs that are really striking.

Edit: Shit there's one on eBay now...hnng, must resist.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Released in 1982.

That's the shit Japan was gaming on when most folks were lusting after a beige Commodore 64.

Things were so wild I'm making a thread about old school Japanese industrial design just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom