• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New002

welcome to the rumble in the rgb jungle. Ticket: £toomuch

Hah. I don't neeeeed it. I have my consoles hooked up to my HDTV using my framemeister...but I waaaaanted it.

Anyone got an easy to follow tutorial guide for rgb modding an SNES Mini? >_> Soldering noob here but I'm hoping I can manage it if it's not too wild.

Rich!

Hah. I don't neeeeed it. I have my consoles hooked up to my HDTV using my framemeister...but I waaaaanted it.

Anyone got an easy to follow tutorial guide for rgb modding an SNES Mini? >_> Soldering noob here but I'm hoping I can manage it if it's not too wild.

It's quite easy. There's a good guide and a link to the rgb amp for sale on retrorgb.

Significantly easier than adding digital optical audio circuit and output to a mini anyway. That was fun, with a broken soldering iron too.

Khaz

Getting a cheap consumer CRT TV is the way to go, but being in the US without Scart makes everything more difficult. While in Europe you can snatch any old tube and are pretty much guaranteed to have at least a good picture, the US needs the additional hassle of making sure the TV has Component inputs and isn't an EDTV/480p CRT.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Getting a cheap consumer CRT TV is the way to go, but being in the US without Scart makes everything more difficult. While in Europe you can snatch any old tube and are pretty much guaranteed to have at least a good picture, the US needs the additional hassle of making sure the TV has Component inputs and isn't an EDTV/480p CRT.

Honestly the difference between S-Video and Component (edit: for retro games) on most consumer CRTs is negligible, in my opinion.

I have a question for this thread. I BELIEVE my new 1080p HDTV handles 240p properly via its component in, but would like to confirm scientifically. I've tested games like Castlevanias: SoTN on my PS2slim via component and it looks absolutely amazing (especially after boosting the sharpness settings to max), with beautiful chunky pixels. I have a soft modded Wii hooked up via component and installed the 240p test suite. My issue is, I'm not sure what the desired results for the different tests are. I personally don't notice anything off, or anything that looks like it's being treated as interlaced, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Does anyone have any links or resources pointing to the desired results for these tests?

dhonk

Gameboy Interface got an update for different control schemes, making the Raphnet SNES to GC adapter actually usable! Thank fucK.

Got some gameplay of Wario Land 4 with GBi + Component 240p + XRGB Mini w/ FirebrandX Profiles / Raphnet SNES to GC Adapter! I think I can finally say the setup is perfect now lol.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have a question for this thread. I BELIEVE my new 1080p HDTV handles 240p properly via its component in, but would like to confirm scientifically. I've tested games like Castlevanias: SoTN on my PS2slim via component and it looks absolutely amazing (especially after boosting the sharpness settings to max), with beautiful chunky pixels. I have a soft modded Wii hooked up via component and installed the 240p test suite. My issue is, I'm not sure what the desired results for the different tests are. I personally don't notice anything off, or anything that looks like it's being treated as interlaced, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Does anyone have any links or resources pointing to the desired results for these tests?
Like most things, MLiG has a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUdfPdM1mw0

Also check the wiki.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#Interactive_Tests

Thanks I'll check out the wiki. I actually did watch that MLIG vid multiple times but as far as I remember it's not super comprehensive or clear about pointing out the behavior you want vs what you don't want. I love the channel and it helped me catch the hi fi retro bug, but I wish they'd make a follow up 240p test suite vid. I'm on mobile so I'll give the vid another watch later.

Mega

Banned
^Kalnos, no discernible increase in lag on the adapter. It works incredibly well.

Gameboy Interface got an update for different control schemes, making the Raphnet SNES to GC adapter actually usable! Thank fucK.

I have a Raphnet adapter. I can't recall anything being bad. What was wrong with the button layout before? It using BA instead of YB?

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#Drop_Shadow_Test

It has all the tests and what the results should be.

Shadow.gif

Also turn your sharpness down, turning sharpness to max introduces artifacting.

dhonk

^Kalnos, no discernible increase in lag on the adapter. It works incredibly well.

I have a Raphnet adapter. I can't recall anything being bad. What was wrong with the button layout before? It using BA instead of YB?

Yeah, I hate using it with BA on the SNES controller. Now I can use YB, and have Super Mario World on GBA control like it does on the actual SNES!

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#Drop_Shadow_Test

It has all the tests and what the results should be.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/images/a/a2/Shadow.gif [ /img]

Also turn your sharpness down, turning sharpness to max introduces artifacting.[/QUOTE]

[quote="CharlesDangus, post: 216422490"]For some reason the sharpness settings on my tv turned all the way down make the image look really soft, like the pixels are bleeding into eachother or like there's a bilinear filter applied.

Edit: I'm not home atm but I'll do some tests when I get there.[/QUOTE]
Sharpness settings don't have a real standard. Sometimes 50% is optimal, sometimes 0 is optimal. I've never heard of the max setting being optimal, though.

I have a question about using my framemeister with my AV receiver. Right now I have every console, HD and retro both, going through the framemeister through its various inputs and then splitting the output to go to my Denon receiver and my capture card. My question is, is the denon introducing any extra image processing before it gets passed to my tv? I suspect it isn't since I'm feeding it a 1080p signal, but I can't find like a direct passthrough setting or something similar anywhere to make sure.

Peltz

I have a question about using my framemeister with my AV receiver. Right now I have every console, HD and retro both, going through the framemeister through its various inputs and then splitting the output to go to my Denon receiver and my capture card. My question is, is the denon introducing any extra image processing before it gets passed to my tv? I suspect it isn't since I'm feeding it a 1080p signal, but I can't find like a direct passthrough setting or something similar anywhere to make sure.

Most likely, yes it is. If, for example, it the receiver adds any UI to the display (for example, it shows when you're changing the receiver's inputs or muting volume) then it is likely adding input lag to overlay such UI images.

If not, another good way to test is to set the Framemesiter to 720p when connected to the receiver and see whether the HDTV recognizes it as a 720p image or a 1080p image. (Many HDTV's will show the resolution when switching TV inputs). If the TV shows 1080p, then you know for sure that the receiver post-processing the signal and likely adding lag. If the HDTV shows 720p, chances are, it's probably not, but it's still not 100% certain.

Another great way to test in your particular setup is to use your splitter to split one of your console's HDMI outputs. Put one into the receiver and the other into a direct input on the HDTV. Then use picture in picture (PIP) mode on your HDTV (if it has one) to test whether the receiver's image is a few frames behind.

Mega

Banned
But B A on the SNES is on the same position as on the Game Boy?

BA are larger, more sharply angled and more spaced out on the SNES controller than on the GBA, making it difficult to press both buttons at once with the top of your thumb. YB is more comfortable to use.

Most likely, yes it is. If, for example, it the receiver adds any UI to the display (for example, it shows when you're changing inputs or muting volume) then it is likely adding input lag to overlay such UI images.

Do you have any info re: this? I tried looking into it before and only found a link to an AV forum post saying any added lag from a receiver is so small to the point of being negligible.

BONKERS

Yeah, I hate using it with BA on the SNES controller. Now I can use YB, and have Super Mario World on GBA control like it does on the actual SNES!

I'm like the opposite, I prefer BA. But that's why there should be choices. And damn it, i'm still waiting for GCVideo Lite component cables to come out.
I want to play GBA games with my GBPlayer over component on my CRT so bad lol

BTails

So, I received my AV Famicom with NESRGB board from Baphomet yesterday in the mail. Oh my goodness, this thing is amazing! The quality is superb, and Bapho did a phenomenal job with the modding: the installation is super clean. He went above and beyond helping me, as there were difficulties (The NES RGB board I had originally ordered was faulty!).

A total class act, and I can't recommend his services enough. Thanks so much! And now, some pics...

ISbfzTe.jpg

The Famicom itself, it was in super good condition with no yellowing (Despite looking a bit like it in this pic)

wmbVML4.jpg

Batman ready for his closeup.

5KhG0bZ.jpg

Left, my stock NES. Right, the Famicom AV.

0L6HRdT.jpg

Finally, there it is hanging with its older siblings in my setup.

Most likely, yes it is. If, for example, it the receiver adds any UI to the display (for example, it shows when you're changing the receiver's inputs or muting volume) then it is likely adding input lag to overlay such UI images.

If not, another good way to test is to set the Framemesiter to 720p when connected to the receiver and see whether the HDTV recognizes it as a 720p image or a 1080p image. (Many HDTV's will show the resolution when switching TV inputs). If the TV shows 1080p, then you know for sure that the receiver post-processing the signal and likely adding lag. If the HDTV shows 720p, chances are, it's probably not, but it's still not 100% certain.

Another great way to test in your particular setup is to use your splitter to split one of your console's HDMI outputs. Put one into the receiver and the other into a direct input on the HDTV. Then use picture in picture (PIP) mode on your HDTV (if it has one) to test whether the receiver's image is a few frames behind.

Hmm, it is adding some UI stuff, but it is not scaling the image up to 1080p when fed a 720p image from the framemeister. It isn't doing any scaling on a 480p image either. Unfortunately, no PiP on this set. I really can't perceive any added input lag over what the framemeister and my tv are adding, and I'm usually fairly sensitive to that. If I start missing jumps in tough platformers, though, I'll have an excuse. :p

Rich!

First time using my JVC in a while today

tmp_17987-img_2016091gguz6.jpg

Super Famicom Jr hooked up via rgb

Apologies for the poor photo phone photo. Looks goooooood in person

Conezays

So, I received my AV Famicom with NESRGB board from Baphomet yesterday in the mail. Oh my goodness, this thing is amazing! The quality is superb, and Bapho did a phenomenal job with the modding: the installation is super clean. He went above and beyond helping me, as there were difficulties (The NES RGB board I had originally ordered was faulty!).

A total class act, and I can't recommend his services enough. Thanks so much! And now, some pics...

God-tier setup, BTails! Very nice.

I'm looking for a PVM, but based in the West Midlands [UK] and having great difficulty finding monitor sets outside of London, I swear those guys must be hoarding them all! XD

I would greatly appreciate any tips you guys might have for finding a set a little more local.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm looking for a PVM, but based in the West Midlands [UK] and having great difficulty finding monitor sets outside of London, I swear those guys must be hoarding them all! XD

I would greatly appreciate any tips you guys might have for finding a set a little more local.
I set up an email reminder on Craigslist for the word "PVM". One day I got a hit. FREE Sony PVM-2530. Amazing.

Rich!

ebay has a few here and there, as does gumtree. I found a guy with 8 JVC 17" broadcast monitors an hour away back in may for cheap. bought two.

I don't suppose you're the gent that just inquired about my 20M4E?

Rydeen

Anyone knows what this?

cyiBqcO.jpg

I'm trying to troubleshoot. I hope it's not my TV.

It's the vertical hold on a CRT display, it's just a small knob usually on the back of the TV to adjust it, look for either "V-Hold" or "Vertical Hold" on the back of the TV or under the front control flap to adjust it manually. Totally normal and takes just a couple seconds.

entremet

It's the vertical hold on a CRT display, it's just a small knob usually on the back of the TV to adjust it, look for either "V-Hold" or "Vertical Hold" on the back of the TV or under the front control flap to adjust it manually. Totally normal and takes just a couple seconds.

Thanks!

I actually forget about that nonsense. This is my retro CRT which I got a few years ago.

Unfortunately, I need to remove the back cover. There are screws. Dumb design.

Edit: The screws are the knobs! WUT?! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom