• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomizer

easy. just make sure you install two switches on your PAL SNES for both the region lock and the 50/60hz or you'll run into trouble.

as for the MD, I don't know too much about that, but you'll want two on there too - one for the region and one for 50/60hz.
Cheers. Off to YouTube to look up some tutorials.

Peagles

Cheers. Off to YouTube to look up some tutorials.

I put a single switch on my MD1 to change between JP 60Hz, NA 60Hz, and PAL 50Hz. It's nifty as hell!

http://mdpal60.net/wiki/megadrive/regionmod/start

Check out this for your model 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618ZyjGWt9c
Haven't tried it myself but it looks okay to me.

I'm doing a SuperCIC on my PAL SNES but need to figure out how to use my pic programmer first. No doubt you could do a single on-off-on switch like the MD though if you want a physical switch in it.

Lettuce

I put a single switch on my MD1 to change between JP 60Hz, NA 60Hz, and PAL 50Hz. It's nifty as hell!

http://mdpal60.net/wiki/megadrive/regionmod/start

Check out this for your model 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618ZyjGWt9c
Haven't tried it myself but it looks okay to me.

I'm doing a SuperCIC on my PAL SNES but need to figure out how to use my pic programmer first. No doubt you could do a single on-off-on switch like the MD though if you want a physical switch in it.

How come you didnt install a 4 position switch so you can play Asian 50hz games?

Peagles

How come you didnt install a 4 position switch so you can play Asian 50hz games?

Are Asian games coded for JP region?

Edit: Scratch that, I think they are coded for ENG... I have a PAL Asian MD2 and it won't play my later JP games, so I assume Asian stuff is 50Hz/ENG which means you can just use the PAL 50Hz switch for it. I've never seen anywhere that recommends adding a JP 50Hz switch, now that I think about it.

Lettuce

Are Asian games coded for JP region?

Edit: Scratch that, I think they are coded for ENG... I have a PAL Asian MD2 and it won't play my later JP games, so I assume Asian stuff is 50Hz/ENG which means you can just use the PAL 50Hz switch for it. I've never seen anywhere that recommends adding a JP 50Hz switch, now that I think about it.

I think there was a handful of Asian encoded games, but i just did it because i could and for complete region compatibility lol. That said i use my EverDrive Flash cart most of the time so my actual games never get used...

ibz4m6V9X4okSe.JPG
ibNqzmOsQJJMB.JPG

Peagles

I think there was a handful of Asian encoded games, but i just did it because i could and for complete region compatibility lol. That said i use my EverDrive Flash cart most of the time so my actual games never get used...

ibz4m6V9X4okSe.JPG
ibNqzmOsQJJMB.JPG

I'm not sure Asian 50Hz differs at all from PAL 50Hz... How did you wire it up? JP and 50Hz jumper?

Rich!

Got my SFC today - hooked up via the XRGB. Little bit disappointed with the picture quality - turns out it's a V3 PPU, which is by far the worst out of all the SNES outputs. ah well.

Rich!

Via RGB I presume?

It's RGB, definitely not S Video. This page goes into detail about the PPU: http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html

It's odd though, some titles on this SFC look much better, for example:

Maybe it's the cable? I dunno....I am using the same SCART cable I use for my RGB modded N64 (which is crisp as hell), but I can't remember whether it's a PAL or NTSC cable. The NTSC SNES cable I bought specifically for the console from retrogamingcables doesn't work at all - it just outputs a glitchy mess.

Peagles

singleswitchgenesisregi.png

So just 3 wires going to the MegaDrive PCB

I mean what is the configuration of your "Asian" part of the switch? Language/Hz wise?

My 3 are JP/60, ENG/60, and ENG/50. You have 4, so is your "Asian" switch JP/50, or something else?

If JP/50, this is news to me that any games use that, hence why I didn't put it in.

Lettuce

I mean what is the configuration of your "Asian" part of the switch? Language/Hz wise?

My 3 are JP/60, ENG/60, and ENG/50. You have 4, so is your "Asian" switch JP/50, or something else?

If JP/50, this is news to me that any games use that, hence why I didn't put it in.

Its a PAL signal so 50hz and JPN lang. There were a few Asian games that never got released in Japan, like Tale Spin, Greendog etc

Rich!

Hm, funny...just tried my copy of Secret of Mana NTSC-U and it looks alright...

There is definitely added blur to the image that shouldn't be there. I'm putting the blame onto the cable - I've ordered another one that is specifically for JP SNES consoles as I've just checked my ebay history and discovered this RGB SCART cable I'm using right now is a PAL one, which may explain the shitty quality.

Peagles

Its a PAL signal so 50hz and JPN lang. There were a few Asian games that never got released in Japan, like Tale Spin, Greendog etc

I'd be interested to see if the games are actually coded for JP/50Hz or if they are coded for ENG/50Hz but do not check for region, only Hz. Because as far as I could ever research, JP/50Hz does not exist and therefore a switch for it would be redundant.

Hm, funny...just tried my copy of Secret of Mana NTSC-U and it looks alright...

There is definitely added blur to the image that shouldn't be there. I'm putting the blame onto the cable - I've ordered another one that is specifically for JP SNES consoles as I've just checked my ebay history and discovered this RGB SCART cable I'm using right now is a PAL one, which may explain the shitty quality.

snes pal rgb cables arewired dufferently to ntsc ones, something ti do with the resistance of the resistors on the rgb pins,sorryboutspelling errors,crppy vita touchscreen

Rich!

snes pal rgb cables arewired dufferently to ntsc ones, something ti do with the resistance of the resistors on the rgb pins,sorryboutspelling errors,crppy vita touchscreen

Yeah - it could well be that, but then again I do think it might be the console itself, going by the images on this site...http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/75 ....

pissing me off now. I didn't realise there was a chance of the image looking so shit.

edit: awwww yeah, it turns out I have a 1-Chip console! Must be the sodding cable then! hooray!

Yeah - it could well be that, but then again I do think it might be the console itself, going by the images on this site...http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/75 ....

pissing me off now. I didn't realise there was a chance of the image looking so shit.

edit: awwww yeah, it turns out I have a 1-Chip console! Must be the sodding cable then! hooray!

Lucky you, I have the crappy one, but Im happy with it, the cable should make some difference I would've thought, the rgb outpud was redesigned on teh PAL snes, I tried using a ntsc snes cable with my pal snes, and the picture just suddenly fades to pretty much black, ntsc cables have capacitors fitted in them on the rgb pins, whereas pal cables have 47 or 75 Ohm reisistors fitted to the rbg pins to darken the image,thats probably why it looks less than stellar.

Dunno if anyone wants to split their rgb signal to feed two tvs.

I guess you might want to so you can have a crt for light gun games, or for convenience, anyways I found up my old 2 way distribution amp that I bought ten years ago for £40

here are the results

REVENGE OF SHINOBI - megadrive

CRT

PLASMA

very minor difference in colour tint on the crt (might be camera setting) very very slightly softer on the plasma

PARASOL STARS - turbografx 16

CRT

crt_2.png

PLASMA

plasma_2.png

pretty much identical for both the crt and plasma

TnK

Peagles, any luck on getting the SCART to Component screens? Still waiting to know whether or not I should get it.

Peagles

Peagles, any luck on getting the SCART to Component screens? Still waiting to know whether or not I should get it.

I'll try soon for you. It's just a pain in the butt to unscrew my BNC connectors from the back of my PVM. I have an idea about using another adapter but it might introduce too many adapters/signal interference.

Rich!

ehhh

not too sure I'm happy with the picture quality on my Super Famicom. Pics:

Just a bit of a disappointment compared to the crystal clear image my RGB modded N64, Mega Drive and PS1 output. It's blurry and a bit muted.

I thought this console was a 1-CHIP model (good!), but it's not. sigh. What do you guys think of the pics above, as shitty as my photo taking is? Acceptable or not?

ehhh

Just a bit of a disappointment compared to the crystal clear image my RGB modded N64, Mega Drive and PS1 output. It's blurry and a bit muted.

I thought this console was a 1-CHIP model (good!), but it's not. sigh. What do you guys think of the pics above, as shitty as my photo taking is? Acceptable or not?

Wanna be really depressed? Put in FF3/6 and tell me if you have the big white thing down the middle. Then tell me if tell me if you now notice that in every game because it's just something that the SNES does, even though RGB.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wanna be really depressed? Put in FF3/6 and tell me if you have the big white thing down the middle. Then tell me if tell me if you now notice that in every game because it's just something that the SNES does, even though RGB.

Shows up strong in Super Metroid too.

Didn't I hear that there's some way to get rid of it.....? Maybe it was modding a SNES Jr. for RGB or something.

modsbox

Didn't I hear that there's some way to get rid of it.....? Maybe it was modding a SNES Jr. for RGB or something.

For original, full-size SNES/SFC they are known to have varying levels of blurriness on the RGB signal. Depends on the PPU, but the 1-CHIP produce the best.

By far the best RGB signal you can get out of a SNES is to perform the RGB mod to a SNES mini. It's not hard (basically they just didn't connect the RGB lines to the multiout on the motherboard), and you get a crystal clear RGB picture with no band down the middle either. Look for some tuts on the net. Basically if you don't have a 1-CHIP or snes mini with rgb mod rgb is not going to look much better than s-video.

kiun

im still looking for a selecty21 for my setup. cant believe its the only option for jp rgb. Pls PM me if u have 1 for sale

Yeah, it shows up in a lot, just remember it was either FF2 or 3 that it is imposable not to notice it on. That all black starting screen. No idea about a fix, I've just accepted it now.

Rich!

Believe it or not, I don't have that line. My old PAL SNES did though.

I may get a mini in the future though, yeah.

Believe it or not, I don't have that line. My old PAL SNES did though.

I may get a mini in the future though, yeah.

It is a bit inconsistent I hear. I mean I've gone though 5 different SNESs on a variety of TVs and none have not had it, but there are people that say that have ones that don't so who knows. A mini on it's own doesn't mean you aren't getting the line as I've heard it being apparent on them as well.

An RGB 3DO is easily the biggest waste of money ever. May end up looking nicer once i get an super emotia to downscale the 480i to 240p. Just need to find one now.

I need a time machine to tell Trip Hawking or whoever 480i is not the way to go with that console.

Soulhouf

I just wanted to thank in public baphomet who RGB-modded a N64 for me. He was awesome and helped me all the way.
I don't have a good camera but I'm really satisfied with the result on my XRGB Mini. My N64 games can finally shine.

tumblr_m3mm0rETB61qkpnrw.gif

I'm trying to browse this thread to find the answers but figured maybe you guys could just help me out and let me know what to do.

I have a 55 inch LCD TV. I want to be able to play my old SNES, Genesis, and PS2 games without them looking like complete and total shit when on an HD TV. What kind of equipment do I need to buy to make this happen?

Beckx

I'm trying to browse this thread to find the answers but figured maybe you guys could just help me out and let me know what to do.

I have a 55 inch LCD TV. I want to be able to play my old SNES, Genesis, and PS2 games without them looking like complete and total shit when on an HD TV. What kind of equipment do I need to buy to make this happen?

It's all in Irish's OP.

You need an upscaler/linedoubler. Read the info at the retro-hazard site Irish links.

To the get the best possible image, you need an RGB signal. Read Irish's links or go to retroRGB.com/guide

We can tell you "buy a XRGB mini from Solaris Japan and then cables from retro gaming accessories on eBay" but really, if you're going to spend the $300-$500 to do that you really want to know what's going on, so read the information at those links. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
1) Is 1.5 extra frames of input lag acceptable for you?
2) Can your TV accept 240p input through component? (This can be tested if you have a Wii with component cables and certain Virtual Console games.)
3) Do you play a lot of games that switch between 240p/480i on the fly? (This is a difficult question to answer, as I don't think there's a comprehensive list anywhere on the net for this, but AFAIK it's only relatively common for the Saturn/PS1/N64 generation.)

The answers to these questions dictate what devices would be the most ideal.

I could probably bring my XRGB-3 to Final Round if you wanted to try it out on an Asus monitor.

A heads up, latest revision of Retroarch Wii adds customisable scanline overlays
http://imgur.com/a/LPEmk
Coupled with a CRT it is the cheapest way to get pixel accurate retro goodness.

As before, Wii build supports multiple resolutions per core, it can output from 640X480 to 224X384, 384X256 and almost everything in between (about 30 different presets in all). Ratio and screen size are also completely configurable.
http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1531
http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1420

ehhh

Looks good to me but what you see in a photo and what you see when the tv is front of your own eyes can be two different things.

For original, full-size SNES/SFC they are known to have varying levels of blurriness on the RGB signal. Depends on the PPU, but the 1-CHIP produce the best.

By far the best RGB signal you can get out of a SNES is to perform the RGB mod to a SNES mini. It's not hard (basically they just didn't connect the RGB lines to the multiout on the motherboard), and you get a crystal clear RGB picture with no band down the middle either. Look for some tuts on the net. Basically if you don't have a 1-CHIP or snes mini with rgb mod rgb is not going to look much better than s-video.

Yeah from what I read a snes jr with rgb mod is the best, no vertical line and 1chip like picture quality.

An RGB 3DO is easily the biggest waste of money ever. May end up looking nicer once i get an super emotia to downscale the 480i to 240p. Just need to find one now.

Thats ace you got it modded, sucks that you cant bypass that nasty interlacing process though, still I bet it looks better than plain old svideo right?

Peagles

Hey dude before I set it up, any specific console requests? Currently set up I have SNES, MD, Saturn, N64, PSOne, Dreamcast, and Gamecube. Happy to take snaps of any or all.

My gut is you should get one though, if only as a stop gap between now and PVM or XRGB time!

Darkangel

This is kind of related to the whole upscaling thing:

Retroactive is developing a digital HDMI output mod for the N64. It takes the digital video and audio data directly off the system's motherboard, meaning no more analog signals. It's impossible to get better N64 image quality than this.

http://retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php

zIHhiMl.jpg

OKp6j5r.jpg

7EhTZdR.jpg

1) Is 1.5 extra frames of input lag acceptable for you?
2) Can your TV accept 240p input through component? (This can be tested if you have a Wii with component cables and certain Virtual Console games.)
3) Do you play a lot of games that switch between 240p/480i on the fly? (This is a difficult question to answer, as I don't think there's a comprehensive list anywhere on the net for this, but AFAIK it's only relatively common for the Saturn/PS1/N64 generation.)

The answers to these questions dictate what devices would be the most ideal.

I could probably bring my XRGB-3 to Final Round if you wanted to try it out on an Asus monitor.

For 1 it's going to have to be. The stuff I want to play isn't heavily action oriented so the frame lag won't bug me that much.

2. Yes it can. I had my wii hooked up via component and would play virtual console titles pretty regularly but they were UGLY.

3. I have no idea.

How big is your xrgb-3? I'm probably only going to be there on friday though. When are you coming in? I assume seeing it on one of the asus monitors would basically show me what I'd be looking at as far as quality, just on a smaller scale?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Picked up a PAL Gamecube for dirt cheap but the RGB video quality isn't as good as I had hoped. Not sure what's up with the noise. Look at the artifacts present in the Star Fox logo, for instance. XRGB Mini, by the way.

Any thoughts? Image quality is actually nicer using s-video on my NTSC GC even.

MeB.png

While I had the capture open here's a bonus image. SNES via RGB. The image is slightly less clean than Sega systems, though (notice the slight ghosting on pixel edges). I'm preferring this type of image to the fake scanlines as of late. Crisp, clean pixels. Looks almost like an emulator shot, really.

bfB.png

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
For 1 it's going to have to be. The stuff I want to play isn't heavily action oriented so the frame lag won't bug me that much.

2. Yes it can. I had my wii hooked up via component and would play virtual console titles pretty regularly but they were UGLY.

3. I have no idea.

How big is your xrgb-3? I'm probably only going to be there on friday though. When are you coming in? I assume seeing it on one of the asus monitors would basically show me what I'd be looking at as far as quality, just on a smaller scale?
In that case, the only two other questions I feel are relevant are whether your TV has a VGA input (or if you have an easy way to convert VGA to something your TV accepts) and if you think 480p component/VGA/HDMI sources look OK on your TV.

If you do have VGA and are OK with 480p visuals, then I'd shop around for whatever deals you could find on an XRGB2, XRGB2+, XRGB3, or Framemeister.

If you don't have VGA or don't think 480p is good enough, then the Framemeister is probably the only logical choice.

A demo of the XRGB3 on an Asus VH236H would give you a decent idea of how these things would look on a larger 1080p flatscreen, particularly since the XRGB3 has two distinct modes that resemble what the other machines would look like as well. I'll be at Final Round from Thursday to Monday and could bring it along with my Genesis or Saturn, but I'll probably be busy streaming for most of Friday and Saturday and could probably only set aside time on those days really late in the evening.

TnK

Hey dude before I set it up, any specific console requests? Currently set up I have SNES, MD, Saturn, N64, PSOne, Dreamcast, and Gamecube. Happy to take snaps of any or all.

My gut is you should get one though, if only as a stop gap between now and PVM or XRGB time!
SNES and MD mostly I guess. I think DC component cables exist, and I play my PSX games on the PS2 with component.

EDIT: PSX too please. Seems like PSX on RGB > component.

Picked up a PAL Gamecube for dirt cheap but the RGB video quality isn't as good as I had hoped. Not sure what's up with the noise. Look at the artifacts present in the Star Fox logo, for instance. XRGB Mini, by the way.

Any thoughts? Image quality is actually nicer using s-video on my NTSC GC even.

What sort of rgb cable are you using?
Pretty sure you have to use the official gamecube rgb cable on the pal camecube, I remember buying a third party game from game with my machine and it always looked bloody horrible, and this was back on my old crt, then i bought the offical nintendo rgb cable and it looked much much better, l;ike a proper rgb picture.

Think the official cable are pretty expensive, I sold my crappy one, but I'd be happy to take a couple of photos using a third party snes ntsc rgb cable versus the official rgb one for you if you like, just let me know.

I picked up the BANDRIDGE 5 port automatic scart switch, and in short, I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a scart switch, it has 5 ports, is available in manual (£15ish) and automatic (£21) versions, the automatic is powered by a 12v 500ma transformer, has a manula override too, both have a seperate L+R audio out, and from what I have observed, no loss in quality, no loss in brightness( the image is acutally a tad brighter through this scart switcher) no noise etc, and its very cheap.

I haven't tested for interference but I never have more than one console on at a time.

Some images.

51-rmHiUoSL.jpg

Rear view, its important there is enough space available between horizontally aligned scart sockets to allow for bigger plugs, the Bandridge has this, my Trilogy 2 doesn't

DSC09024.jpg

DSC09025.jpg

DSC09021_AND_DSC09022.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom