• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US expels Russian diplomats over cyber attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
105044-bad-boys-shit-just-got-real-gi-nMpT.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This gives Donny a really tricky issue on day one.

He can roll it back and suckle at Putin's dry teat - his blue collar fans didn't vote for that. The alt-righters did. This is going to create a weird schism in his base from day one.

And it means the Senate (Congress is literally just scum) have to be the grownuypsd in the room.

Donny is going to inherit a mess of his own making, Augean Stables, in fact, and he has no idea how to clean them up. Because he is not, in the end, the Hercules he imagines himself to be.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I like Obama but let's be honest, the Russians (and any other nation for that matter) aren't going to do anything other than roll their eyes at the words and actions of a president with three weeks left in office.

They're way more concerned with what a temperamental Trump thinks about things at this stage of the game.

I honestly think he is doing this just to see what Trump will do to get in office. Even though most of the people that voted for him don't give a shit. Obama is hoping somehow congress does.

So when Trump starts bending over backwards for Russia and appeasing them and helping them, and in a case like this, probably gonna tweet how unfair we are being to Russia, and how we should treat them better etc etc, how long do you think Republicans will be cool with that?

Are we in a new era where since Russia helped their side win, its all roses?

Or they eventually gonna go back to "FUCK RUSSIA!" and have problems with trump?
What do you think? It's gonna be the former.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's funny because Trump can reinstate them... but how's that gonna look?

RPGCrazied

Obama just left him in a real public pickle.

If he repeals all this stuff, and you know he will, it will just come across as Trump is just a Russian sympathizer. That might fly with the alt right, but will not look good for any sane American.

If he repeals all this stuff, and you know he will, it will just come across as Trump is just a Russian sympathizer. That might fly with the alt right, but will not look good for any sane American.
He hasn't looked good for any sane person for years, doesn't matter.

Biske

What do you think? It's gonna be the former.

I think so.

But is there a limit?

Trump, whatever you think of him, clearly doesn't know what he is fucking doing. So assuming he is deeply in the pockets and influence of Russia, how obvious does it have to get, how far does he have to go, before its a big big problem for him, even with his supporters and elected Republican ass lickers?

Oppo

what can Russia really do in retaliation?

35 diplomats does strike me as a lot, like how many can there actually be?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I like Obama but let's be honest, the Russians (and any other nation for that matter) aren't going to do anything other than roll their eyes at the words and actions of a president with three weeks left in office.

They're way more concerned with what a temperamental Trump thinks about things at this stage of the game.
Okay? Does that somehow prevent this from being an appropriate response to Russia's recent actions, that should be taken if we have the means to do so?

Alx

Hope all the "cooperation with allies and partners" part is sincere and effective. Wouldn't want Russia to meddle with the coming elections in Europe.

oh please

Why does gaf jump to this conclusion every time

Because Gaf (and most of the internet) jumps at every opportunity of alarmism, capitalizes on every chance at hyperbole. Trump's campaign strategy was effectively doing the same thing.

Drives me fucking crazy.

Oooookay, sorry guys, maybe WW III was a bit premature. :) But Cold War II, surely?

I think a lot of people are ignorant about the Cold War. The US and USSR had an antagonistic relationship, but they still worked together and didn't have open hostilities. The memory is of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Berlin Wall, or supporting opposing factions in conflicts around the globe, but the reality was always more complex. For instance, in the midst of the Vietnam War, arguably the greatest theatre of the Cold War, the US and Soviet Union were also negotiating nuclear treaties and peace deals with each other (And China, and East Germany, and Korea, Cambodia, Iran, etc).

A cold war in the modern era is very different, as there is more interconnected business between world powers than there was at the close of World War II. Also, Russia's power central and economy is incredibly flimsy today. They act a tough game but Russia's entire national economy is smaller than the state economy of California. Jerry Brown, the governor of California and one of 50 governors in the United States, has arguably more economic influence than Vladimir Putin.

Nevertheless, this is certainly the most fractured relationship that the US has had with Russia since the USSR Invaded Afghanistan, but the value of a Russian relationship was worth so much more in 1978 than it is today.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Okay? Does that somehow prevent this from being an appropriate response to Russia's recent actions, that should be taken if we have the means to do so?

It just doesn't really do anything of value either short term or long term so I'm not sure I'd even call it "appropriate" when it's mostly futile.

At best it might be a way to keep the subject in the court of public opinion but there's going to be a lot of noise in the first few months of Trump's term because things will be moving quickly.

ezekial45

Banned
It's funny because Trump can reinstate them... but how's that gonna look?

Putin's popularity among conservatives actually went UP during these last three weeks, so they'll likely see it as a positive for mending the bridges that Obama burned over these last few weeks. Or some other shit these conservatives hacks will make up to sour this move.

studyguy

I'm curious as to when the full report on Russia will be declassified and dropped on us as promised. It's supposed to be before Trump's inauguration. By the way things have been going I wouldn't be surprised if it's literally days before.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It just doesn't really do anything of value either short term or long term so I'm not sure I'd even call it "appropriate" when it's mostly futile.

At best it might be a way to keep the subject in the court of public opinion but there's going to be a lot of noise in the first few months of Trump's term because things will be moving quickly.
So it's either the start of WWIII or mostly futile. thisisneogaf.gif

Pomerlaw

Putin's popularity among conservatives actually went UP during these last three weeks, so they'll likely see it as a positive for mending the bridges that Obama burned over these last few weeks. Or some other shit these conservatives hacks will make up to sour this move.

Sadly, this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom