• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US expels Russian diplomats over cyber attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

I hate trump as much as the next guy. But Obama is acting like a hypocrite cunt. Like the US have never fiddled with any ... wait they have never hacked ...wait they have never done anything remotely simil... wait.

Pissing of other countries just to fuck with the opposing parties candidates / pres is low.

Or am I'm missing something here?

200_s.gif

SummitAve

Banned
I hate trump as much as the next guy. But Obama is acting like a hypocrite cunt. Like the US have never fiddled with any ... wait they have never hacked ...wait they have never done anything remotely simil... wait.

Pissing of other countries just to fuck with the opposing parties candidates / pres is low.

You are missing something. Nobody is so stupid as to think information gathering isnt happening. It is and it is generally agreed upon. Obama has talked about this many times. Lines were crossed when that normal info gathering was used in an attempt to influence elections.

Dr.Acula

Banned

So because the US is performing military action in Iraq, if suddenly some place like Cambodia started waging war in Arizona you'd be all "turnabout's fair play?"

Yes, the US does a lot of scummy shit in the world. Yes, other countries do scummy shit in the US. I expect countries to defend themselves.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Even this thread, or forum, won't be long. We'll get a "just asking questions" post or a crazy post that derails the thread and conversation. All to move off the actual topic and into proving some troll wrong or ridicule them.

And a bit later we'll get a twitter post by Trump on some unrelated topic that will dominate media and attract attention to something else.

Hate to quote myself, but it wasn't even 10 posts later. Don't derail the thread guys.

Biske

Aren't these diplomats in the us to deal with exactly this kind of stuff. You know be diplomatic and stuff. Did Germany kick anyone out after the US hacked Merkels phone?

I seem to miss something essential here.

Maybe if Russia was concerned with diplomatic relations with the U.S. they wouldn't be hacking our elected officials, and parties and candidates and fucking with our elections.

Its one thing to have intelligence programs, every country does that, probably cooperates, but when you are openly fucking with that countries elections, you have to expect some blow back.

No tears should be shed for Russia.

Hate to quote myself, but it wasn't even 10 posts later. Don't derail the thread guys.

Couldn't have been more on the money.

It will be... interesting, to see Trump try and fuck his way out of his cluster fuck of a presidency.

Even this thread, or forum, won't be long. We'll get a "just asking questions" post or a crazy post that derails the thread and conversation. All to move off the actual topic and into proving some troll wrong or ridicule them.

And a bit later we'll get a twitter post by Trump on some unrelated topic that will dominate media and attract attention to something else.

Eerily accurate.

cdyhybrid

Greetings comrade!

I guess diplomatic immunity has just been revoked

Iirc, losing diplomatic immunity and expulsion from the state the diplomat was sent to are different things. There are times when diplomats who commit crimes are still protected through immunity so they cannot be prosecuted, but the state can still ask them to leave. (After all, all states that signed whatever treaty that codified the treatment of diplomats would not give up the prerogative to kick diplomats out. It acts as a non-hostile rebuke to the diplomats' home country and ultimately does not put individuals in harm's way.) Anyway, I'm guessing these Russian diplomats have retained immunity.

ETA: Or rather, they'll probably retain immunity until the deadline to leave the country. After which, the host country will no longer see them as part of a diplomatic mission (i.e., not a diplomat) and they'll likely be subject to the laws of the host country.

So Russia's "diplomats" were in on the hacking scheme and fake news distribution?

I've seen them referred to as "operatives" on some websites.

Very odd all-around.

Toxi

Banned
I'm no fan of Paul Ryan, but people calling hypocrisy on Ryan for claiming that Obama has acted too late should
That's actually not what I'm criticizing him for. He's right that Obama acted too late with Russia.

I'm criticizing him for the hypocrisy of publicly supporting a candidate who sucks Russia's left nut and then trying to act all tough on Russia. Spineless piece of shit.

that's...what he's doing?

he's taking a huge political risk by what is essentially a stand against Trump

Nearly all of Ryan's statement is criticizing the Obama administration, which I think Ryan is right to some degree about, but the statement should be more standing up to Russia and defending the Administration, not giving a backhanded criticism.

Stopped clock. Worrying about Russia four years ago would have been like worrying about Syria four years ago. Arab Spring was sweeping across the region and Russia was about to collapse because of sanctions and falling gas prices.

This is ridiculous. Russia was never about to collapse in 2012... It's just the narrative that Obama sold to the American people to sound effective on foreign policy. Not only was Russia not about to collapse, they didn't collapse and Putin solidified his role in Russia by antagonizing the west and juxtaposing himself against Europe and the United States. Obama was flat, dead wrong about it. Russia took the Crimea just over a year after Obama declared that the '80s want their foreign policy back.' That same year (2012) Russia kicked USAID out of Russia, state-run Russian media attacked and started a smear campaign against US Ambassdor Michael McFaul leading to his resignation a year later after repeated thuggery & intimidation by secret police, Putin abruptly canceled his Camp David summit with Obama, within a year, Putin would denounce Europe's multiculturalism and tollerance [towards homosexuals and minorities] as "neutered" and ideas driven by Satan.

It's ridiculous to pretend that Obama was right on Russia in 2012, and we're paying for it 4 years later.

That said, I completely stand by Obama's actions today and wish that the GOP would stop being petulant little babies and wholeheartedly stand with the president.

Dierce

Good old Russian Social Media never fails to entertain. Wonder how they will coordinate with Trump on his response.

Putin better be fucking careful. Once his orange puppet fails, us liberals will rise with a force that they will never see coming. They don't expect us to play the dirty game they play but things will change.

pulsemyne

Got to laugh at all the trump supporters online going "But where's the evidence?". Even if they were shown the evidence face to face they would still deny it. Just like they deny the evidence of global warming.

If Obama had acted earlier, during the waning months of the election season (or whenever they had concrete evidence of all this shit), Hillary would have probably lost by even more.

It would have looked like a government snow-job to get her elected.

Instead, the exact opposite happened and it was Russia who was allowed to conduct it's own snow-job to make Hillary look bad.

It was going to be Lose-Lose for Hillary no matter what. Trump's alt-right base would have made sure of it no matter how bad Trump looked. Hillary was damaged goods going into the election and she never appealed to any of those Red State voters. Not even when Trump was as low and disgusting as he was.

Got to laugh at all the trump supporters online going "But where's the evidence?". Even if they were shown the evidence face to face they would still deny it. Just like they deny the evidence of global warming.

They only deny it because (some of them) don't want to admit that they support Russia's actions.

koji kabuto

The WhatAboutTheUS guys always shows up when any one criticize Russia.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The WhatAboutTheUS guys always shows up when any one criticize Russia.
One can criticise both Russia and the US for being meddlesome bullies. That said, the fact that one superpower so brazenly interfered in another's elections and is getting away with it is the type of realpolitik that leans closer to satire than anything else.

slit

Aren't these diplomats in the us to deal with exactly this kind of stuff. You know be diplomatic and stuff. Did Germany kick anyone out after the US hacked Merkels phone?

I seem to miss something essential here.

Yes reality. The American German relationship is completely different from the American Russian relationship. One is like fucking with a friend and the other is like poking a bear. If Russia doesn't like the way it is being treated or vice versa then pull all diplomats out of each country. Nobody would care except Trump and a few Russian billionaires. You dont let a Russian gangster like Putin do whatever he wants without consequence.

cdyhybrid

One can criticise both Russia and the US for being meddlesome bullies. That said, the fact that one superpower so brazenly interfered in another's elections and is getting away with it is the type of realpolitik that leans closer to satire than anything else.
Yeah, but this thread is about Russia. They could start threads about American interference if they were that concerned with it, but they never do.

If Trump reinstates the diplomats, he'll look guilty as hell.

It'll make him look like he's returning Putin's favor for helping him get elected.

And it's more evidence for congress to ratify articles of impeachment with.

Use citations to tell me when Obama's administration ever hacked a foreign power's election.

KingBroly

Banned
So Russia's "diplomats" were in on the hacking scheme and fake news distribution?

I've seen them referred to as "operatives" on some websites.

Very odd all-around.

It sounds like a completely separate but a 'good of a time as any' to do so kind of thing to me.

The compound in Maryland that the Soviets bought in 1972 being closed down is probably the most interesting part of this to me.

kmax

Obama's putting pressure on Putin to act. The thing is that if Russia retaliates in a similar manner, Trump will have a very hard time playing nice with a nation that is undermining the interest of the country he serves.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

So, he should just allow any nation to meddle with our presidential elections and more? Huh?

Keasar

Good old Russian Social Media never fails to entertain. Wonder how they will coordinate with Trump on his response.

Is this true? Is this is really our future?

Political bodies are now fucking taunting each other with memes.

I refuse to goddamn believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom