• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

talisayNon said:
bring freddy back to the mls please so we can develop him. fuck this euro bullshit

But he will only be developed if he plays players that are better then him, hence the "euro bullshit"

He does need to get the fuck out of the Turkish Second Division, however.

ZZMitch said:
But he will only be developed if he plays players that are better then him, hence the "euro bullshit"

no, he will get dicked around again and fail. the mls is not the same mls it was 3 or 4 years ago. there are a handful of quality teams in the league. have freddy here so he doesn't sit rotting on some bench. he'll get pt initially but as soon as he performs badly one or two games in a row it's over for him. he needs to get constant pt - which only the mls can probably guarantee.

Subitai

Unknown Soldier said:
There's no solving the problem that American football, baseball, and basketball are all way more popular than soccer and all kids want to play those sports when they grow up. In a way, it's a self-defeating situation for US soccer, as long as kids want to play all these other sports, we'll never be able to build the talent base we need to be successful on the international level where all the other countries eat, breathe, and worship soccer and so that's all their kids want to play when they grow up.

I've been following the national team more or less since the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup and I don't see any forward progress in a decade, at best we've moved sideways and around but never up. I just don't see how we will ever progress upwards as long as we have all these other pro sports which always get first pick of our best young athletic talent.
The MLS has substantially expanded since then and ratings for the game are consistently going up. When were you born? Before 1990 the US team was a handful of players who made it in Europe's lower leagues and college players. Interest will continue to grow if MLS ticket prices stay reasonable, and it takes a different kind of athlete to play soccer than the 3 games it is trying to catch, except for goalie. It would be nice to if an NBA athlete played in goal.

It is going to be a slow build, and not a breakout.

Heretic

Judderman said:
How was that home field advantage for the US?
KuGsj.gif
80/20. We were scattered about with the exception of Sam's Army. Our voices were drowned out by their fans. I got yelled at, spit at and showered but I cheered on. Such a disapointing game. We lost our wind once they scored the first goal. We had chances but the magic just wasn't there.

Nesotenso

talisayNon said:
no, he will get dicked around again and fail. the mls is not the same mls it was 3 or 4 years ago. there are a handful of quality teams in the league. have freddy here so he doesn't sit rotting on some bench. he'll get pt initially but as soon as he performs badly one or two games in a row it's over for him. he needs to get constant pt - which only the mls can probably guarantee.

I agree so much with this. Sitting on the bench is going to be no good for him. The MLS is no European League but its gotten better and consistent playing time can turn him into something special. Once he has polished up his game, the opportunities from Europe will come knocking.

DominoKid

Subitai said:
I kind of feel the same way, but the US has bigger problems than the coach and money can't solve any of it.

I'm sorry but I look at the product on the field now and its beyond substandard with no prospects for improvement. We are a much worse team than we we're in 02. I dont demand the world of the USMNT, I just demand competency. There's just too much stooge-esque bullshit in our game. I choose to not invest myself in it emotionally when they play because quite simply they aren't worth it.

If the USSF refuses to address the issues that plague our talent development, player selection and strategy, then it just isn't worth it. Our "style" is basically to cower and hope for something against the run of play and I just cannot get behind that anymore. I demand better. I will watch because I like soccer, but I won't lose any sleep over it when we get our ass kicked by real competition or embarrassed by the shit teams in CONCACAF.

xbhaskarx

Y2Kev said:
wtf gulati!! get a real coach
Because merely wanting a better coach would obviously mean we had the money to afford a better coach, and that the better coach we wanted would accept the job even though we are a 15-30 range team with zero superstars. The only coach who is both known outside of the US and has ever expressed interest in the job is Klinsnann.

And of course with that amazing coach we would also have Rossi and Subotic, and Onyewu and Davies would never have been injured, and both Holden and Chandler would have been on our roster, and Cherundolo wouldn't have gotten injured forcing us to play Bornstein for the first time and move Lichaj from the position he had been playing all tournament. And we'd probably have a pro-US crowd in LA.

ZZMitch

DominoKid said:
I'm sorry but I look at the product on the field now and its beyond substandard with no prospects for improvement. We are a much worse team than we we're in 02. I dont demand the world of the USMNT, I just demand competency. There's just too much stooge-esque bullshit in our game. I choose to not invest myself in it emotionally when they play because quite simply they aren't worth it.

If the USSF refuses to address the issues that plague our talent development, player selection and strategy, then it just isn't worth it. I will watch because I like soccer, but I won't lose any sleep over it when we get our ass kicked by real competition or embarrassed by the shit teams in CONCACAF.

I wish I could choose not to invest myself in it emotionally sometimes... but I can't. :/

Nesotenso

ZZMitch said:
Wow, I had no idea the Sounders was that high. I wonder what it is about Seattle?

Yeah Seattle fans are the best in the league. They play at CenturyLink Field and its great to see so many fans turn up. Sounders games are great to watch on TV. Same with Portland. Something about the Pacific Northwest.

Oozer3993

Cherundolo getting injured was huge. All 4 Mexican goals came from Bornstein's side. He can't play against speed players, he gets torched every time. He's constantly out of position, but can use his speed to cover that against slower forwards. He was useless against the speed of the Mexicans.

Freddy Adu was fantastic. He had the assist on the first goal and a hockey assist on the second and caused problems for the Mexicans all night. Hopefully his play in the last two games will get him more playing time with his club, or will get a more prestigious club to take a chance on him.

Did anyone else think Michael Bradley looked a little tired during the tournament? He kept losing balls in the midfield that he never has before.

I've never been a big Bob Bradley fan, but I thought he handled the last couple games pretty well. I usually have a bone to pick with him about some one in the starting lineup, but haven't had that problem since he sacked Tim Ream. I loved that he gave Freddy Adu a chance. His hands were tied with some slim pickings defensively and some tough injuries (Holden and Demerit going into the tournament then Altidore and Cherundolo during it).

DominoKid

Subitai said:
Bitterness about Sonics going to Oklahoma and the involvement the ownership encourages.

yeah it really sucks for them since the Thunder are a top 3 team in the west lol.

could've been theirs...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
nm, i'm an idiot. I totally forgot about the M's. Well Portland only has an NBA team, so that's a reason for them to show up to MLS games.

cruets

just got back from the game and emotionally drained :( encountered so many rude mexicans today. why are they here when they hate us so much?

DominoKid

Oozer3993 said:
Did anyone else think Michael Bradley looked a little tired during the tournament? He kept losing balls in the midfield that he never has before.

he always loses dumb balls (less so than our other CMs, but still) and he played every minute of the tournament i think. it was bound to hurt his sharpness. he wasnt moving as well today either.

Subitai

DominoKid said:
yeah it really sucks for them since the Thunder are a top 3 team in the west lol.

could've been theirs...
If you don't want your team to leave make sure the owner is a homer for your town. In the end I blame Howard Schultz for being naive and taking Clay Bennett at his word.

Anyway, the silver lining is the pent up emotion did wonders for the Sounders.

Heretic

Subitai said:
If you don't want your team to leave make sure the owner is a homer for your town. In the end I blame Howard Schultz for being naive and taking Clay Bennett at his word.

Anyway, the silver lining is the pent up emotion did wonders for the Sounders.
Silver lining for me is that Donovan scored and chicharito didn't...

Heretic said:
Didn't deserve the mvp that's for sure. He's a cherry picker and imo extremely overrated.

He's a poacher. He gets his goals off of sublime movement. You should learn about that aspect of the game. No one is proclaiming him on Messi's level. Everyone sees him as a great striker, which he has proven both at club and international level the last 2 years.

This was probably posted, but just in case: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/soccer/news/story?id=6705473

ESPN said:
After El Tri's 4-2 victory at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., Howard blasted CONCACAF officials for conducting the title ceremony in Spanish.

"CONCACAF should be ashamed of themselves," Howard said. "I think it was a [expletive] disgrace that the entire postmatch ceremony was in Spanish. You can bet your ass that if we were in Mexico City, it wouldn't be all in English.

"But that's not why we lost the game. They've got some special players who put us in some bad situations."

In addition to crediting Mexico's talented playmakers for the victory, Howard was complimentary about the largely pro-Mexico crowd.

"It was a good crowd today," Howard said. "They were up for it, doing the wave, it was what we expected. We know it's going to be like this."

Nonetheless, Howard seemed visibly upset when officials tried to line the U.S. up for a team photo after the ceremony was conducted in Spanish.

Asked about it afterward, he said: "It never ceases to amaze me all that stuff."

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I think the better team won in the end. Cherundolo going out early was a significant blow, though. Our D is just too porous. The 3rd and 4th Mexican goals showed some real skill.

On the bright side, I'm really glad to see Adu gaining confidence. He's got great foot skill and field awareness compared to a lot of the other MNT players; definitely feel more confident about him in a starting role.

Shame the US won't be playing in the Confed Cup. I think it really helped us the following year in the World Cup.

DominoKid

Heretic said:
Didn't deserve the mvp that's for sure. He's a cherry picker and imo extremely overrated.

he had 7 goals and 2 assists this tourney. very good tournament

Barrera had a shout though with 3 goals (2 in the Final) and 4 assists. Guardado had the same.
GDS had 3 and 1.

daoster

Thoughts about the game after a day of drinking and mourning and anger:

- Credit where credit is due, Mexico played well and definitely deserved to win.

- Cherundolo getting injured was a huge, huge, huge blow to us. It's not use thinking if things would have been different if he hadn't been injured though.

- Bornstein, Bornstein, Bornstein...I understand why he had to come in, and that he was our only half way of halfway decent sub for Cherundolo, but I don't understand why he didn't come out. After the third goal, he should have come out and we should have gone something like 3-5-2, and he definitely should have gone out of the game at 4-2.

- At 3-2, I felt we definitely had an equalizer in us. IN fact, I was expecting the equalizer. Then that 4th goal happened.

- All the goals (except for the first one) that Mexico scored on us frustrated me so much. Oh so much.

- The silver lining in ALL of this is that Adu's career (at least for the USMNT) might have experienced a revival. I liked what I saw, and our two goals were the result of Adu's play. He still holds on to the ball for too long, sometimes though.

- I hate the fact that this is the last real competitive match till the World Cup. Sure, we have the Olympics next year, but that's essentially a U-23 tournament, and the Gold Cup in 2013 is a joke of a tournament. World Cup Qualifiers are one offs, and they're not usually "competitive", and playing against strong competition in friendlies are also one off and don't count.

- Ream was a bust, and Wondolowski was just another MLS flavor of the month, ala Buddle and Findley once upon a time. Ream might have somewhat of a future in the USMNT, because our defense is quickly aging and we need to experiment with players as much as possible, but I really don't care to see Wondolowski play for us again.

methodman said:
Since we didn't win, we don't make the Confed Cup? Damn. Any other way to make it??

No other way, unless for some nefarious reason, CONCACAF take away Mexico's Gold Cup.

xbhaskarx

Unknown Soldier said:
And what's the point of rooting for a team that will likely never win anything important within your lifetime? I was thinking about that when the Giants won the World Series last year, there were probably people who were born after the New York Giants won the World Series in 1954, they lived an entire lifetime as a loyal and dedicated fan who went to games every season, and then they died before 2010. An entire lifetime of futility, just thinking about it made me sad. It seems so futile to support some of those Premier League teams which will never fight for anything except avoiding relegation for next year. I'm all for supporting a team which has a chance of winning something in my lifetime, and right now the US hasn't shown me a goddamn thing for a decade now.

Wow this is like the ultimate frontrunner comment...

I do believe the US will have a chance to win the World Cup in my lifetime, but that is NOT why I am a fan. Do you have any idea how hard that is? Look at England, where the sport started and home of the best league, yet they last won in 1966. Spain had never won anything important until the last few years. What about the hundreds of millions of people around the world who are fans of the hundreds of national teams that have no chance of ever even entering the top tier...

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Thoughts about the game after a day of drinking and mourning and anger:

Agree with all of this except for the no competitive matches until the next World Cup bit:
The 2013 Gold Cup isn't a joke anymore, Mexico beat our C team in 09, we need to get revenge in 13. And the 2012 Olympics are just what this team needs, an influx of new talent. Even WC qualifying is no joke, the top Central American teams and Jamaica will be tough at home not only for the US but even for Mexico.

We lost this game when Cherundolo got injured. Bornstein was awful, I don't want to be too hard on the guy since he didn't play all tournament, but I don't even want to see his face again for at least two years. And he should have been subbed out when we needed two goals.

It's time to start building a team for 2014, Cherundolo and Bocanegra need to be slowly phased out, Hahnemann should be done, and we need to stop bringing in fringe guys who will be irrelevant by then. Instead of Wondo, Buddle, Rogers, etc. we need to start calling up Gyau, Gatt, Wood...

Kozak

Banned
ZZMitch said:

Why? If anything it seems to be his best career move yet. Solid playing time and solid performances.

talisayNon said:
btw has this been posted in this thread yet?

Picture-84.png

Brazilian teams play twice as many games as MLS teams.

Brasileirao
Copa do Brasil
State tournaments
Sudamericana
Libertadores

Theres no off season in Brazil

Yeah as heartbroken as we feel right now, you gotta admit that England fans have probably experienced more heartache in the sport. I mean, sure, us USA fans are hopeless romantics in the sense that we love our team to death and hold out hope that one day we will finish the script on the best story ever told in terms of winning it all. England? Those guys are freaking stacked with the best league and then they go out and get blown away by Germany in WC 2010. Did they even qualifying for the Euro 2008 finals? WE even finished above them in the group this past round. Totally crazy.

Mexico reminds me a little of Clemson fans. They won something decent back in the day and still think they are Spain 2.0 or Argentina reinvented.

Again, they had the better team on the field...still sucks though. I would have loved for Landon's goal to be the final nail in the coffin, but Mexico just turned on their jets. They were definitely fun to watch and if I was a Mexico fan, I'd still be drinking the koolaid thinking they'll somehow take the Confederations Cup and World Cup 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom