• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
xbhaskarx said:
Once in a Lifetime is now available on Netflix streaming, anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out...

Once in a Lifetime

2006 PG-13 97 minutes

YEah I watched this when it first went live on there. first time seeing it. learned a lot i didn't know about the Cosmos

EDIT**** WOW THIS CHALKBOARD STUFF IS AWESOME!!!!

methodman

Banned
I'll be really disappointed if Donovan doesn't start; I know he's a great option off the bench, but one of your best players will always be a great option from the bench. Just start him for ffs. Dempsey and Donovan should never bes subs on this team imo

Slizz

He pretty much has to start. Bradley knows this I hope. Not starting him will most likely be a mistake, we need to score the first goal.

DominoKid

methodman said:
I'll be really disappointed if Donovan doesn't start; I know he's a great option off the bench, but one of your best players will always be a great option from the bench. Just start him for ffs. Dempsey and Donovan should never bes subs on this team imo

just because they're stars doesnt mean they get to start all the time. they have to earn it like everybody else.

Heretic

platypotamus said:
Have fun at the game guys. When I watch on TV, I wanna hear the US fans louder than the Mexican fans, so you've got your work cut out for you.
I don't expect to have a voice after the game!

daoster

platypotamus said:
Have fun at the game guys. When I watch on TV, I wanna hear the US fans louder than the Mexican fans, so you've got your work cut out for you.

And this time, have bags of pee ready. Fight fire with fire.

xbhaskarx

Heretic said:
Got my US flag ready. The rest of my family has their mexico one ready to go too...
That's awesome that you're a US fan even though your family roots for Mexico.
I hope you get to taunt them mercilessly on the ride home.

xbhaskarx

ESPN poll:
6r5v8.jpg

more

daoster

Akim said:
goddddd, I'm gonna be at work. Is there any way to watch this from my phone or something?

And if you have an Android, download the Skyfire Browser from the Marketplace and go watch it on Univision.com

ATF487

DominoKid said:
that just makes it apparent how much the summer sports season BLOWS after the NBA and NHL seasons are done.

Well, there's:

French Open/Wimbledon/US Open
F1 races
MLS
regional soccer tournaments or euros/world cup
baseball

After the EPL season ends I get into a funk but there's enough stuff to keep you interested

xbhaskarx

DominoKid said:
baseball is teh suck. and it doesnt get interesting until October anyway.
LOL that is hilarious, first of all this is about US sports fans not you.

MLB gets interesting in mid-February when pitchers and catchers report, NBA doesn't get interesting until the playoff semifinals, if ever (eg when the league isn't conspiring to have one of their top franchises win).

NBA: 16/30 teams (53%) make the playoffs, even though only 4-6 have any chance of winning it all, so the first couple rounds are just the good teams beating up on the .500 cannon fodder.
MLB: 8/30 teams (27%) make the playoffs, and every playoff team has a decent chance to win.

22/30 NBA teams are losing money, official attendance figures are a bigger joke than in any other league, and the most valuable commodity is expiring contracts.

MLB's revenue is close to NFL, it's greater than NBA + NHL
MLB is 1st in total attendance out of all sports leagues, almost 3.5 times that of the NBA or NHL
MLB is 5th in average attendance out of all sports leagues in the world
NBA is 21st in average attendance... just above NHL and MLS (which will probably pass it this year)

This is turning into a very typical baseball vs basketball argument, I have facts and analysis, you have meaningless blowhard statements in the spirit of Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith.

tWqjV.png

USA (Red) = Heat

Mexico(Blue) = Mavs

The majority thinks USA will win.

Is this a sign? :eek:

I don't know a thing about soccer :/

My prediction: 4-2 Mexico.

Crisis

Banned
ghostofsparta said:
USA (Red) = Heat

Mexico(Blue) = Mavs

I don't know a thing about soccer :/

My prediction: 4-2 Mexico.

On paper, Mexico is usually supposed to win. In practice, it doesn't always happen for them.

xbhaskarx

ghostofsparta said:
USA (Red) = Heat

Mexico(Blue) = Mavs

It's a sign that your comparison makes absolutely no sense. Both the Heat and Mavs are teams based in the US. Obviously Americans will pick the US team over Mexico, I'm sure if you did a similar poll in Mexico it would be all blue.

Mexico is the favorite and is expected to win by most analysts.
Not only is Mexico more talented, but they are playing much better right now. Also the crowd at the stadium will be 70-80% Mexico fans so they have that advantage as well.

xbhaskarx said:
It's a sign that your comparison makes absolutely no sense. Both the Heat and Mavs are teams based in the US. Obviously Americans will pick the US team over Mexico, I'm sure if you did a similar poll in Mexico it would be all blue.

I know dude. My "I don't know a thing about soccer" was my way of saying "this is a joke post".

My prediction is a joke too. Although I'll take credit for it if it happens :D.

Joe

Northeast Soccer Gaf:

July 26th at Citi Field, NY - Juventus vs. Club America (club friendly)

July 27th at Red Bull Arena, NJ - MLS All-Stars vs. Manchester United

i really hate that i can't go to these :(

DominoKid

xbhaskarx said:
LOL that is hilarious, first of all this is about US sports fans not you.

MLB gets interesting in mid-February when pitchers and catchers report, NBA doesn't get interesting until the playoff semifinals, if ever (eg when the league isn't conspiring to have one of their top franchises win).

NBA: 16/30 teams (53%) make the playoffs, even though only 4-6 have any chance of winning it all, so the first couple rounds are just the good teams beating up on the .500 cannon fodder.
MLB: 8/30 teams (27%) make the playoffs, and every playoff team has a decent chance to win.

22/30 NBA teams are losing money, official attendance figures are a bigger joke than in any other league, and the most valuable commodity is expiring contracts.

MLB's revenue is close to NFL, it's greater than NBA + NHL
MLB is 1st in total attendance out of all sports leagues, almost 3.5 times that of the NBA or NHL
MLB is 5th in average attendance out of all sports leagues in the world
NBA is 21st in average attendance... just above NHL and MLS (which will probably pass it this year)

This is turning into a very typical baseball vs basketball argument, I have facts and analysis, you have meaningless blowhard statements in the spirit of Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith.

not sure why you wasted your time attacking my opinion.
your numbers dont change my feelings on the sport.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
xbhaskarx said:

Not only is Mexico more talented, but they are playing much better right now. Also the crowd at the stadium will be 70-80% Mexico fans so they have that advantage as well.

On the other hand, USA really knows how to counter Mexico, as it has done before. Add to that our awful midfield of Torrado and Castro at the moment, and the fact that Salcido might not start, leaving a hole in our defence.

I believe there are no favourites in this match.

Cruceh

Banned
DominoKid said:
not sure why you wasted your time attacking my opinion.
your numbers dont change my feelings on the sport.
Because you have bad taste in sports. My opinion.

Anyway, hopefully it's a good game. Don't expect much from the US though. They always disappoint. Maybe just me being a Mets fan. (lifelong disappoint)

xbhaskarx

Grant Wahl:

• Who will have the mental edge? It's no secret that Mexico is the clear favorite and has played better than the U.S. has during this tournament. But as any Mexican supporter will tell you, they're always concerned that the Mexican players will have some sort of mental block when it comes to facing the U.S. (especially on U.S. soil). The Mexican players deal with far more pressure from their media and fans than the U.S. does, and at times El Tri has crumbled as a result.

I unwittingly caused a minor international incident at Friday's press conference when I asked Mexican coach Chepo de la Torre about "the mentality issue." I tried to be respectful about it, but I know it's a sensitive topic, and he didn't take kindly to it, asking if I thought Mexico had been mentally weak in the past. "At times, yeah," I replied. All due respect to him and to Mexico, but the guy looked nervous and defensive.

• Mexico's big goal margin in the group stage is more dubious now. Many observers pointed to Mexico's 14-1 goal margin in the first round as evidence that the team was playing at the top of its game. But two of Mexico's first-round games (a 5-0 win against El Salvador and a 5-0 win against Cuba) have come under heavy suspicion that members of the losing teams may have been involved in irregularities involving the Asian gambling market. A report on the website of Der Spiegel revealed that FIFA and Interpol were investigating irregularities in at least three Gold Cup games, and a leading betting-industry insider told me he was highly suspicious of every Gold Cup game involving Cuba and Grenada and also had questions about El Salvador's 5-0 loss to Mexico.

The games involving Grenada (which lost three games by a combined score of 15-1) and Cuba (16-1 goal differential), he said, stood out in particular: "It was the sort of thing where we sat around and said, 'Yeah, this looks like it's a 99 percent chance that it's bent.'"

The betting-industry insider explained that the irregularities were in what is called "in-running betting" (in which bets are placed during a game on what will happen from that point on) as opposed to "dead-ball betting" that takes place before the game. In-game betting on world soccer is dominated by the Asian market, which he said was producing belief-defying odds swings during several Gold Cup games. The suspicious games weren't just the result of Cuba and Grenada being poor teams, he said.

"With Cuba and Grenada, yes, they're terrible, but there's lots of other teams that are also terrible, and generally those of us in soccer betting are used to pricing out these sorts of games, where you have very good against very bad," he said. "We see them a lot in the World Cup and European Championship qualifying. What I would say is that the odds movements for in-running betting [in Cuba and Grenada's Gold Cup games] were just incredibly, incredibly unusual and extreme. We're talking about five to 10 times what you would typically see. And these extreme odds movements would be subsequently vindicated by what was happening on the field."

The industry expert provided several graphs depicting the differences in the Asian market swings in the suspicious Gold Cup games, as well as those in Gold Cup games that weren't suspicious to him (including the U.S.'s 2-1 loss to Panama). I'll write more about this story next week and include those graphs to show the stark differences.

xbhaskarx said:

To put some things into context:

- Minnesota and Milwaukee have a regional rivalry and are playing each other this weekend, so that explains Minnesota and Wisconsin. Probably for North Dakota, too (Twins territory)

- College World Series is popular in the South and in Nebraska (because it's in Omaha); all the Southern states highlighted in blue have teams in the finals, I believe.

- Pennsylvania ... I don't know. Blame it on the Phillies.

Other than that, I'm pretty surprised.

Pre

------------------------Dempsey---------------------------

Donovan----------Adu------------------Bedoya

------------------Bradley-------Jones-------------------

Lichaj----Bocanegra----Goodson---Cherundolo

------------------------Howard----------------------------

That's your lineup, per SoccerByIves.

rar

Pre said:
------------------------Dempsey---------------------------

Donovan----------Adu------------------Bedoya

------------------Bradley-------Jones-------------------

Lichaj----Bocanegra----Goodson---Cherundolo

------------------------Howard----------------------------

That's your lineup, per SoccerByIves.

wow i actually like this

Tapiozona

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

Seems fairly legit. NCAA baseball is a dissssssssssssssssssssssssstant third to Football and Basketball. No one really cares about the interleague games other than the people who live in those states. Tennis is tennis.

Put any MLS game in that for a fair comparison. US vs Mexico is interesting the same way the olympics are interesting. It's few and far between and it's national pride. Has nothing to do with soccer.

xbhaskarx

ESPN's Soccer Power Index, which I believe was created by Nate Silver, has the chances of Mexico winning at 71.4%.
That is way too high imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom