• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

ESPN: Michael Bradley is allergic to happiness. Or at least smiling.

Maybe he misses Germany, maybe his dad, coach Bob Bradley, is extra hard on him in practice, maybe he's ultra-focused or maybe he's just practicing the Kobe Bryant postseason scowl. Whatever the case, the central midfielder has been far from pleasant since the team arrived in Princeton. He was the only player who didn't smile when the 23-man roster was announced on ESPN's campus this week, and the only player who didn't smile in the team photo from the White House.

But maybe this isn't necessarily a bad thing. As one member of the coaching staff told me this week -- not Bob -- "If we had four or five guys as focused, determined and fearless as he is, we would win the World Cup."

I just checked and it's true. :lol

xbhaskarx

Verano said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Do you really have nothing better to do than trolling this thread?

And why the hell are you Mexicans so obsessed with the US team? We already beat you 2-0 last time in the World Cup but now we're a little busy thinking about our upcoming opponents...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Torres needs some meat on his bone. the dude's listed as 135lb

Gerrard and Lampard will break his legs by sneezing on him.

ATF487

xbhaskarx said:

And why the hell are you Mexicans so obsessed with the US team? We already beat you 2-0 last time in the World Cup but now we're a little busy thinking about our upcoming opponents...

Let him troll all he wants; at the end of the day, he still lives in Mexico

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:

:lol
This is the way I've seen it:
Mexico is a great soccer team. They are a great nation when it comes to the beautiful game. But, in the world's eyes, they are living in the shadow of...USA. There is nothing they are better at than the US...except one thing: soccer. They realized this a long time ago. But, the US did not care. Soccer wasn't and still isn't a big deal to this country. But, Mexico still wanted that one thing they can brag about over their neighbors to the north. So, what do you do? Start a rivalry. And how can you assure victory? Start a rivalry against a weaker opponent. SO, they did. All was well...then, bam! USA started catching up. Now, USA can hold their own. Mexico and its fans really, really don't like that. The one thing they had over USA and now even that is up for grabs. Blah, blah, blah, polluted air Azteca...so what? Brag the day Mexico sends a team of men to challenge the best of NFL and wins here.

Like I've said before, can't watch your team win? Then root against your "rival".

ATF487 said:
OUCH!!!!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
xbhaskarx said:

:lol :lol :lol
Trolling??? Pfffttt...not even. Im just glad Torres was being observant on as well as capitalizing on Bradleys mistakes and did exceptionally well on the field.

Some Mexicans go for the US and pick them as their 2nd team and others that like the USMNT play for the team like Gomez, Torres, and Jonathan Bornstein. No harm in that right?

ATF487 said:

British redneck, I live in Los Angeles by the way.
:D

Oozer3993

Watching some YouTube videos of the glorious US run in '02 and I have to say, to this day, I'm still pissed about the blown hand ball in the Germany game. The US completely outplayed Germany, but got robbed by an awful bit of officiating. The games against Portugal and Mexico were blissful though.

P.S. Jeff Agoos circa the 2002 World Cup makes Bornstein look like a God. Agoos was atrocious in '02.

Here showing my support for the USA!

Four years ago I was in Italy during the quarters and semis. Those guys went CRAZY when they won, I would love to see that happen in LA :D

Atlagev

Oozer3993 said:
Watching some YouTube videos of the glorious US run in '02 and I have to say, to this day, I'm still pissed about the blown hand ball in the Germany game. The US completely outplayed Germany, but got robbed by an awful bit of officiating. The games against Portugal and Mexico were blissful though.

P.S. Jeff Agoos circa the 2002 World Cup makes Bornstein look like a God. Agoos was atrocious in '02.

His own goal against Portugal is one of the best/worst own goals I've ever seen. Upper left corner. Friedel never had a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8q2v6DqU4#t=3m43s

Click

Banned
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but how do you guys get that American (or another nation's) flag next to your username?

It has something to do with the World Cup, right?

BTW, I hope the U.S. gets far this WC.
But I'm mainly rooting for Spain to win it all.

Heretic

Click said:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but how do you guys get that American (or another nation's) flag next to your username?

It has something to do with the World Cup, right?

BTW, I hope the U.S. gets far this WC.
But I'm mainly rooting for Spain to win it all.

yup. check the world cup thread.

post with

[Allegiance] - your name - [your team]

check the thread for proper formatting

Slizz

Saw this pic in the monthly desktop thread, didn't have a source. So I went out and found a pretty hi-res picture of it so resize to fit your desktop:

zoku88

When is the next friendly again? I thought it would be in the ESPN World Cup site (but I guess it isn't technically a part of the World Cup.)

NoRéN

zoku88 said:
When is the next friendly again? I thought it would be in the ESPN World Cup site (but I guess it isn't technically a part of the World Cup.)
Sat June 5th v. Australia.
I think at 5:30 am PST on ESPN or maybe ESPN 2

zoku88

NoRéN said:
Sat June 5th v. Australia.
I think at 5:30 am PST on ESPN or maybe ESPN 2
Crap, another missed game.. stupid graduation >_<

EDIT: oh yea, time difference. I should be able to watch that one lol

NoRéN

Atlagev said:
ESPN 2.

By the way, have you guys seen this "I Scored a Goal in the World Cup Final" thing ESPN is doing? It's pretty awesome:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/i-scored-a-goal
Sweet! thanks, Atlagev. Gives me something to look at while killing time til Sat...then til Next Friday.

Post some links, people. Stuff to kill time and build up hype:
awesome goals, celebrations, post some favorite personal stories, etc.

I'll contribute:

iw7mlu.jpg

xbhaskarx

Slizz said:
Saw this pic in the monthly desktop thread, didn't have a source. So I went out and found a pretty hi-res picture of it so resize to fit your desktop:

It's in the wallpaper section of the OP for this very thread, so maybe the person in the monthly desktop thread got it from there......

zoku88 said:

That information is... in the motherfucking OP.
Good thing GAF doesn't the everyone must read the OP rule or apparently half of you would be banned...

NoRéN

So, I was talking to my lady today about NASL and how I cna only dream that MLS reaches those heights again. All the great players that came over.
I mentioned Geaorge Best and a goal my dad always talked about and I think i found it.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daigoro

didnt even know this thread existed. nice work. sadly the amount of ignorance in the US (and in other countries regarding the US) about the worlds game is fucking pathetic, but people seem to be catching on.

Oozer3993 said:

god yes THIS! that shit still stings badly. that should be in the OP.

and yes Agoos was wretched.

NoRéN said:
:lol
This is the way I've seen it:
Mexico is a great soccer team. They are a great nation when it comes to the beautiful game. But, in the world's eyes, they are living in the shadow of...USA. There is nothing they are better at than the US...except one thing: soccer.

those days are long gone friend. now Mexico only have the glory days to cling to. (in respect to national teams anyways. leagues are arguable)

NoRéN

Daigoro said:
those days are long gone friend. now Mexico only have the glory days to cling to. (in respect to national teams anyways. leagues are arguable)
I think you misread my post. I know they are and am glad for it. I just hope you don't think I'm a mexico fan.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
considering a fair chunk of cash on US 2 England 1.

US are exacty the sort of team England hate playing - lots of players plying their trade in Europe with a point to prove, and - more importantly - physically fit and organised from set pieces.

USA will definitely make it through to the second round - and i am sure no one in the best of 16 round will relish playing them.

Daigoro

NoRéN said:
I think you misread my post. I know they are and am glad for it. I just hope you don't think I'm a mexico fan.

nope i dont. your conclusion seemed to be that it was up for grabs, and i just disagree that it is. it is Mexico that are playing catch up now.

DCharlie said:
considering a fair chunk of cash on US 2 England 1.

US are exacty the sort of team England hate playing - lots of players plying their trade in Europe with a point to prove, and - more importantly - physically fit and organised from set pieces.

USA will definitely make it through to the second round - and i am sure no one in the best of 16 round will relish playing them.

it wouldn't be a bad bet depending on the odds. we certainly have a shot.

anything can happen, but yeah, this looks like a great chance to get out of the group stage for sure. from then on it will sure get hairy, but im really looking forward to what we can possibly accomplish this year.

xbhaskarx

What is the deadline for naming the final 23-man rosters? Has it passed already?
I'm wondering if Giuseppe Rossi made the Italian team...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I'm just glad I'm off for 2 of the 3 WC games, and the England game I can just get up a bit early and watch. I kinda wish the WC was in Asia this year- 3AM games are easier for me to watch right now.

I have a real hard time seeing how the US can do better then drawing England though. A draw would be excellent though, means we wouldn't have to beat Slovenia, who really scare me for some reason.

LosDaddie

Banned
That's a great OP. Really well done. And I love the Old Glory tags some of you have.

I'm getting real excited about the World Cup. Go USA

xbhaskarx

Breaking news: The seven England players to miss out on a World Cup place are: Leighton Baines, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott, Darren Bent.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.
Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.
Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Pre

After Walcott's fucking awful performance against Japan, I'm really not surprised.

I know it's foolish to get confident about our match based on England's recent stretch of friendlies, but if we play like we did in the second half against Turkey and they play anywhere near as poorly as they did against Japan, things could get real interesting.

xbhaskarx

Slovenia
Goalkeepers: Samir Handanovi&#269;, Jasmin Handanovi&#269;, Aleksander Šeliga

Defenders: Mišo Bre&#269;ko, Boštjan Cesar, Elvedin Džini&#269;, Suad Filekovi&#269;, Branko Ili&#269;, Bojan Joki&#269;, Matej Mavri&#269; , Marko Šuler

Midfielders: Valter Birsa, Andraž Kirm , Andrej Komac, Robert Koren , Rene Krhin, Aleksander Radosavljevi&#269; , Dalibor Stevanovi&#269;

Forwards: Zlatko Dedi&#269; , Zlatan Ljubijanki&#269; , Tim Matavž, Milivoje Novakovi&#269; , Nejc Pe&#269;nik

Algeria
Goalkeepers
Lounes Gaouaoui - ASO Chlef (ALG)
Faouzi Chaouchi - ES Setif (ALG)
Raid Ouheb M’bolhi Slavia - Sofia (BUL)

Defenders
Abdelakder Laifaoui - ES Setif (ALG)
Madjid Bougherra - Rangers FC (SCO)
Carl Medjani - Ajaccio (FRA)
Rafik Halliche - Madeira (POR)
Antar Yahia - Bochum (GER)
Habib Belaid - Boulogne Sur Mer (FRA)
Nadir Belhadj - Portsmouth (ENG)
Djamel Mesbah - Lecce (ITA)

Midfielders
Hassan Yebda - Portsmouth (ENG)
Medhi Lacen - Racing Santander (SPA)
Yazid Mansouri - Lorient (FRA)
Adlene Guidoura - Wolverhampton (ENG)
Riad Boudebouz - Sochaux (FRA)
Djamel Abdoun - Nantes (FRA)
Foued Kadir - Valenciennes (FRA)
Karim Ziani - Wolfsburg (GER)
Karim Matmour - Borussia Monchengladbach (GER)

Forwards
Abdelkader Ghezzal - Siena (ITA)
Rafik Djebbour - AEK Athens (GRE)
Rafik Saifi - Istres (FRA)

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx said:
I'm wondering if Giuseppe Rossi made the Italian team...

Italy final 23
GK:Buffon, De Sanctis, Marchetti
DEF: Bocchetti, Bonucci, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Criscito, Maggio, Zambrotta
MF: Camoranesi, De Rossi, Gattuso, Marchisio, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Pirlo
ATK: Di Natale, Gilardino, Iaquinta, Pazzini, Quagliarella

Rossi out :(
:lol :lol
jqi9er.gif

2ly4rbk.jpg

:lol America's best hope at the World Cup
2iih3wz.jpg

Pre said:
After Walcott's fucking awful performance against Japan, I'm really not surprised.

I know it's foolish to get confident about our match based on England's recent stretch of friendlies, but if we play like we did in the second half against Turkey and they play anywhere near as poorly as they did against Japan, things could get real interesting.

Revolutionary War 2.0 baby!

I completely agree. I think it's going to be a very interesting match.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Pre said:

there's a chance. a Lampard - Gerrard midfield has always looked better on paper than on the pitch, but i can't imagine Torres being affective against them. he's too slight a player to stand up to their strength and pressure.

i'm really, really looking forward to seeing Donovan v. Cole again on the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom