• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I want a back line of Johnson - Boca - Cameron - Dolo. I would be up for using Parkhurst or someone else as LB if that meant we had Fabian as a winger. I just want a midfield that doesn't suck and one that actually has some width. Put Torres or Zusi or Cameron in the middle if we have to. I don't want to see Edu, Beckerman, and Goodson tonight. Jones is okay if we don't misuse him like the last game.

Pre

We could go with something like this:

Howard
Dolo-Cameron-Boca-Johnson
Jones-Williams
Zusi-Dempsey-Shea
Altidore or Gomez

I think that would give us some speed and width and open things up a bit.

xbhaskarx

So if we lose are we done?

...oh my

I don't think so, Guatemala would still have to beat us out for the second spot.

Frankly, if we're not one of two teams to make it out of a group with Jamaica, Guatemala, and Antigua, with home games remaining against the first two and away at f'ing Antigua, we should just disband all soccer programs in this country... not likely to happen though.

alphaNoid

Banned
How did we lose to Jamaica the other day? Any recap video or highlights? What happened? Also, is Donovan playing tonight? He played in the Galaxy vs Timbers reserve game last night after a month out on injury so I'm hopefuly our man is back tonight for the USMNT game.

Anyone?

I don't think so, Guatemala would still have to beat us out for the second spot.

Frankly, if we're not one of two teams to make it out of a group with Jamaica, Guatemala, and Antigua, with home games remaining against the first two and away at f'ing Antigua, we should just disband all soccer programs in this country... not likely to happen though.

Ah OK. I know it was a different group but the bailing out of the Olympics sort of scares me. Again, I know it was a totally different team and so forth but whatever.

I have no delusions of winning the final group (I think Mexico gets it easily) but man...I just want to have a good feeling going into the WC. Seems like we should be coming together at this point as a team but something just seems off...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
How did we lose to Jamaica the other day? Any recap video or highlights? What happened? Also, is Donovan playing tonight? He played in the Galaxy vs Timbers reserve game last night after a month out on injury so I'm hopefuly our man is back tonight for the USMNT game.

Anyone?

Our midfield was invisible. No connecting passes or anything.

Donovan will not play.

Pre

Ah OK. I know it was a different group but the bailing out of the Olympics sort of scares me. Again, I know it was a totally different team and so forth but whatever.

I have no delusions of winning the final group (I think Mexico gets it easily) but man...I just want to have a good feeling going into the WC. Seems like we should be coming together at this point as a team but something just seems off...

I think CONCACAF has as many as four spots this time for the World Cup. If we can't make it in Klinsmann needs to go. If we don't win tonight, we might not make it to the hex.

gutshot

So if we lose are we done?

...oh my

Not mathematically. But if we lose tonight and Guatemala wins (which is likely), we would pretty much have to win our last two games to be assured of making it through. And even then there is a chance we could not advance.

(In that scenario, Guatemala would defeat Jamaica and give them 10 points to our 7. A win against Guatemala in the final game would then only get us into a tie with them and it would come down to GD.)

Basically, a loss tonight would put us on the brink of elimination.

gutshot

Ha! Now Klinsmann loads up on attacking mids. Our attack and possession should be better, at least. Just hope we aren't giving up too much on the defensive end. Torres especially is worthless on our half of the pitch.

xbhaskarx

Ha! Now Klinsmann loads up on attacking mids.

It's kind of crazy that under Klinsmann, only playing two defensive midfielders out of four (Jones and Williams) for a home game vs Jamaica is loading up on attacking mids.

Torres? Oh boy...

I hope he plays well but that's rare when he suits up with the national team :/

Torres has had exactly two good games with the national team, one was against Scotland when they looked like the worst team in the world, and the other was in one of those friendlies right before the team left for the World Cup, I forget the opponent...

Pre

It's kind of crazy that under Klinsmann, only playing two defensive midfielders out of four (Jones and Williams) for a home game vs Jamaica is loading up on attacking mids.

Torres has had exactly two good games with the national team, one was against Scotland when they looked like the worst team in the world, and the other was in one of those friendlies right before the team left for the World Cup, I forget the opponent...

Turkey, I believe.

Pre

Ives is saying that the formation will have Williams as the destroyer with Jones in an attacking position. Why not play Jones back with Williams and let Dempsey float underneath Gomez?

Edit: Double post, sorry.

ZZMitch

With the amount of chances we have had I think it would be physically impossible not to score at least one goal over a 90 minute period heh.

Clydefrog

ic5fbKBxbbkRF.gif

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
dominated. 79% possession, 2 great saves from the jamaican keeper and 3 posts.

problem is its still 0-0

Pre

Torres playing great? He had a decent shot from range, but he's been largely invisible. Pretty much all the chances on the left side have come from Johnson.

xbhaskarx

I have to give Graham Zusi credit, I've questioned whether or not he can be effective at the international level, but he looks really comfortable out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom