• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

Boyd and Shea coming in, Altidore and somebody (feed is crappy) coming out...

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE FREAKING STEP UP AND SCORE A DAMN GOAL.

methodman

Banned
this is why we need a player like freddy adu up with the team... at least he tries making some moves and shit. this was pathetic

Nesotenso

times like this you have to question the quality and talent level on the squad. ok you are missing some good players but not beating countries like Jamaica and Guatemala on the road doesn't bode well if you want to make it to the next level.

gutshot

I fucking knew this was going to happen the second I saw that Bradley was out. No Bradley and/or Donovan = no ability to transition from midfield into the attacking third. We have to hope and pray that one or both of those two will be back by Monday, or we may be really fucked.

Nesotenso

I fucking knew this was going to happen the second I saw that Bradley was out. No Bradley and/or Donovan = no ability to transition from midfield into the attacking third. We have to hope and pray that one or both of those two will be back by Monday, or we may be really fucked.

no one is coming back. the 24 is announced and we have what we have. the whole midfield needs to be reexamined. they were especially terrible .Someone like Beckerman doesn't have that talent, skill, strength or speed to play in the national team.

gutshot

no one is coming back. the 24 is announced and we have what we have. the whole midfield needs to be reexamined. they were especially terrible .Someone like Beckerman doesn't have that talent, skill, strength or speed to play in the national team.

Shit, you're right. I forgot about that. Well, Klinsmann needs to start someone that has at least an inkling of attacking ability. Beckerman better not even sniff the field on Monday.

Nesotenso

Shit, you're right. I forgot about that. Well, Klinsmann needs to start someone that has at least an inkling of attacking ability. Beckerman better not even sniff the field on Monday.

this whole shit is infuriating. always on the back foot. Azteca result was because of key saves and you could see even there how we struggled with possession. I am not seeing the attacking football JK claims he wants us to play. If you had a successful outing with Edu/Cameron at the back why mess with that ? yes you don't have the best 11 you want, but out of 24 this is the best we can put up ? if you don't win these road games at CONCACAF how do you expect to get out of the knock out stage at the world cup ?

I just want the midfield to keep the ball for a 3 min stretch. Stretch the field, switch the field. do something , anything. I have no idea how JK coaches in the locker room but he should be mad as hell right now.

xbhaskarx

times like this you have to question the quality and talent level on the squad.

Doesn't the fact that we're clearly far more talented than Jamaica and Guatemala mean these poor results can't be blamed on quality and talent level? Nguyen was a huge star in Vietnam, Diskerud has been considered one of the top players in Norway for years, guys from leagues like Sweden (Bedoya) and Belgium (Kljestan), none of them can get a call up. They played Omar Cummings who hasn't done anything noteworthy in two years, whereas Chris Pontius has zero caps for us.

#usmnt starters: 4 England, 2 Germany, 2 Denmark, 1 #MLS, 1 Mexico, 1 Netherlands.

Jamaica starters: 4 #MLS, 3 England, 1 each from Sweden, Norway, Turkey, Vietnam

I blame roster selection (Klinsmann favorites who seem to get called in no matter how they perform, like Beckerman, Castillo, Orozco Fiscal, Torres, etc), individual lineup decisions (starting slow a fuck players like Goodson and Beckerman when facing Jamaica), and this bizarre obsession with trying to play as many defensive midfielders as possible. People complained about Bradley's empty bucket, this guy plays at least three in every game. But hey he talks about exciting attacking soccer.

Nesotenso

Doesn't the fact that we're clearly far more talented than Jamaica and Guatemala mean these poor results can't be blamed on quality and talent level? Nguyen was a huge star in Vietnam, Diskerud has been considered one of the top players in Norway for years, guys from leagues like Sweden (Bedoya) and Belgium (Kljestan), none of these guys can get a call up. They called in Omar Cummings who hasn't done anything noteworthy in two years, whereas Chris Pontius has zero caps for us.

I blame roster selection (Klinsmann favorites who seem to get called in no matter how they perform, like Beckerman, Castillo, Orozco Fiscal, Torres, etc), individual lineup decisions (starting slow a fuck players like Goodson and Beckerman when facing Jamaica), and this bizarre obsession with trying to play as many defensive midfielders as possible. People complained about Bradley's empty bucket, this guy plays at least three in every game. But hey he talks about exciting attacking soccer.

yeah I would be more right in saying that one can question their commitment and desire to win.
I am just mad right now dude.
Selection as you point out is just shocking. Some of these guys don't deserve call ups

It will be interesting to listen to the post game press conference. I want someone to ask JK some tough questions.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
so much for the "GAP IS WIDENING!!!" after the the fluke win in Azteca (friendly).

but yah, beckerman is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Clydefrog

g9h2j.jpg

xbhaskarx

US Player Ratings: No one shines in 2-1 loss to Jamaica
September 7, 2012
Greg Seltzer
MLSsoccer.com

Kyle Beckerman (4.5) - The Real Salt Lake d-mid began brightly, but soon started leaving the gate open. On one of these occasions, Beckerman's foul teed up Jamaica's opener – which caromed in off his wall deflection.

Maurice Edu (4.5) - The fresh Stoke catch also started well, including a supporting role in the quick US goal. Miscast away from the midfield stopper position, Edu increasingly struggled until his foul set up Jamaica's winner.

Jermaine Jones (4.5) - Other than a handful of bang-ups, Jones was rather quiet. Like the other two defensive-leaning midfielders, he was largely unable to aid possession or attack.

Coach Jurgen Klinsmann (2) - Simply put, the plan was all but a bust. Most glaringly, the fascination with asking defensive midfield types to provide possession and build play needs to die out. To be fair, injuries hampered his selection, but several better time-keepers (Feilhaber, Kljestan, Davis, Diskerud, McCarty) watched the game from home. What's more, clogging all these similar midfielders on the pitch effectively blocks the advance of the capable wingback attackers Klinsmann fielded. This is the type of blueprint problem that multiplies at both ends of the game.

By the time it's all done, the lead striker has been relegated to (by my hand count) 24 touches in 72 minutes and the over-tasked midfielders are giving away fatal danger free kicks because they couldn't properly close a lane having tried unsuccessfully to go forward. Between that whole mess and waiting until 18 minutes were left to have more than three true attackers on the field, the boss essentially signed up for the night's frustration.

xbhaskarx

There are always players missing. A massive country like the US with the size of our player pool can hardly blame a loss on a few players who aren't there, when we're facing freaking Jamaica.

This was Jamaica's first victory over the US, ever. In 19 games. How many of those games did Donovan play in?

This was the first time the US lost a WC qualifier that mattered vs a Caribbean team since losing to Haiti 1-0 in 1969. Donovan and Bradley also missed that Haiti game considering they had not been born yet. Think of the scrubs we must have been fielding, over 20 years before the scrubs that somehow managed to us into the 1990 World Cup.

But hey at least we beat Mexico with a smash and grab goal in a game that they totally dominated....

Heretic

There are always players missing. A massive country like the US with the size of our player pool can hardly blame a loss on a few players who aren't there, when we're facing freaking Jamaica.

This was Jamaica's first victory over the US, ever. In 19 games. How many of those games did Donovan play in?

This was the first time the US lost a WC qualifier that mattered vs a Caribbean team since losing to Haiti 1-0 in 1969. Donovan and Bradley also missed that Haiti game considering they had not been born yet. Think of the scrubs we must have been fielding, over 20 years before the scrubs that somehow managed to us into the 1990 World Cup.

But hey at least we beat Mexico with a smash and grab goal in a game that they totally dominated....

When you're playing teams that you should easily beat, you bet your ass a missing big name player can make a difference. The other team gains confidence knowing that a star is missing.

xbhaskarx

When you're playing teams that you should easily beat, you bet your ass a missing big name player can make a difference. The other team gains confidence knowing that a star is missing.

That sounds like a bunch of results-based amateur psychoanalysis, aka typical sports commentary.

Okay so then how did we manage to beat (not beat once, or occasionally, or consistently, but always) crappy Caribbean teams in World Cup qualifying before we had any stars? Are you saying it's better to have zero stars, than to have a handful of stars with a couple missing? Because this team still had Howard, Dempsey, Johnson, Altidore...
We were missing Dempsey and Bradley against Mexico, how come the confidence Mexico gained from that didn't make a difference? Hell the goal was scored after Donovan was subbed out (after an ineffectual performance)...

The bottom line is Klinsmann appears to have almost no idea what he's doing, it's the fact that we have some players who can be difference makers (Howard, Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Johnson, Altidore) that keeps his tenure from being a total disaster (I'm not predicting anything disastrous, I think we'll still qualify). And who knows, he may get even more of those types (Holden, Chandler, others like Boyd and Shea could be), but he certainly doesn't seem to be elevating their level as a group. And the same thing (playing well below their potential) happened when Caleb Porter, working under Klinsmann, coached our U-23 group that both he and Klinsmann declared was the best and deepest we had ever had, and after a 5-0 win in the opening game, managed to have us finish third in the group behind Canada and El Salvador, in front of pro-US crowds in Nashville. There are enough data points (between embarrassing losses, victories where the other side dominates, dire 0-0 draws with the likes of Canada, etc.) now for me to say that I'm thoroughly unimpressed with this regime.

Pre

I miss Bob Bradley.

I know that Bradley was unpopular with the majority of the fanbase, but I think he was a smart coach who knew how to utilize his talent. The biggest problem with our team is still the lack of technicality and creativity. We have poor touch, don't know how to move off the ball, lack creative spark going forward (occasional moments of brilliance from Clint/Donovan notwithstanding), and are becoming slower every year. The rest of CONCACAF is improving and closing the gap between them and us and Mexico.

Now, Klinsmann faces the same problems regarding player pool that Bradley did, but his repeated errors regarding player selection and tactics are perplexing. His obsession with using defensive midfielders as attackers is mind-boggling. The whole idea that ditching Bradley for Klinsmann would result in the USMNT playing an attractive brand of soccer is laughable. Bob wasn't inflexible. He didn't blindly adhere to a bunker/counter strategy. He wanted the team to play attractively. But he also understood what he was working with, and he knew that he didn't have the talent to play balls-to-the-wall attacking soccer. There's no shame in bunkering when you have to. It almost won us a Confederations Cup against vastly superior competition.

But we're sliding into mediocrity. Sure, winning at Azteca is awesome and I'm so proud of our team for getting that win. But what does it matter if we can win on Mexican soil in a meaningless friendly and then turn around and play like complete shit against Jamaica in a qualifier?

Defensively, we're a mess right now. Boca and Steve are old. Injuries ruined Gooch. Fabian Johnson seems like he could be the answer at left back, but we still need to rebuild the rest of the backline. We need Chandler to give up his empty dream of playing for Germany and come back. Also, why the hell hasn't Lichaj been called up?

We also need more creativity in the midfield. Beckerman doesn't necessarily need to disappear -- he can be a useful piece in qualifying as a defensive mid -- but he needs to be a bench guy and he needs to stop being asked to possess the ball and push forward into the attack. We obviously missed Mikey in this game. I'd like to see guys like Sacha, Mix Diskerud, and Benny get calls. That isn't to say that they'd kill it out there, but they can't possibly be any worse creatively than what we're fielding right now.

The strikers, I believe, are capable of scoring, but they need service from the midfield. We don't have guys who are going to create something out of nothing. We need a cohesive attack out of the middle to get these guys the ball in situations where they can finish.

Klinsmann needs to reevaluate the player pool and make some major tweaks to the roster. We need some fresh blood and the return of some players who haven't been around in a while. We need to stop constantly playing people out of position. We need to play within our limits and, more than anything, we need to play cohesively and intelligently. I'm starting to believe those who warned that Klinsmann is just a motivational speaker who owes a large part of his success to Joachim Low.

NoRéN

It's amazing how much these guys are missed. Donovan presence ALONE creates offense. Once he leaves, it's going to be tough times for out USMNT.
Definitely.
I wish I could find the post someone made after US lost to Ghana in the world cup. Something about Donovan being replaceable. lol

Pre

If we can't beat Jamaica because we didn't have Mike and Landon then we are not a good national team. Which is becoming the case as time drags on.

xbhaskarx

Maybe I'm just thinking of the U-23s because tonight our midfield was overrun in the same way as it was against Canada in that 2-0 loss...
Maybe it's that in both cases, the US coach seemed to be totally lacking in ideas as to how to counter the opposition's tactics...

In any case, those are two of the worst meaningful games (as opposed to the 0-0 friendly vs Canada) I have seen the US play in years.

xbhaskarx

The biggest problem with our team is still the lack of technicality and creativity.

That has always been the case, but at least the US was a scrappy bunch that punched above their weight, where the whole was more than the sum of the parts (as opposed to teams like England and Mexico)... this is just bland.

NoRéN;41880079 said:
I wish I could find the post someone made after US lost to Ghana in the world cup. Something about Donovan being replaceable. lol

Didn't he score like... almost all our goals in that tournament?

I don't understand how Donovan is so underrated. Soon he will be the first player ever with 50+ goals and assists in international play for any country. Let's see if we're around to watch the second...

Pre

That has always been the case, but at least the US was a scrappy bunch that punched above their weight, where the whole was more than the sum of the parts (as opposed to teams like England and Mexico)... this is just bland.

Yes, and that's what I loved about our team. It seems lately like we haven't had the same fire in the belly that we've possessed in previous years. If nothing else we should always be relied upon to outwork our opponent.

Pre

It's not like people haven't been warning you since he got fired from Bayern...

I was a Bob supporter back in the day and never understood the fascination with Klinsmann. When we hired him, I decided to put aside the doubts I had in my mind and let him do his thing. But at this point it's become painfully obvious that Klinsmann was never the answer.

NoRéN

I was a Bob supporter back in the day and never understood the fascination with Klinsmann. When we hired him, I decided to put aside the doubts I had in my mind and let him do his thing. But at this point it's become painfully obvious that Klinsmann was never the answer.

Seems like the minority opinion. I felt the same way. Oh well.

xbhaskarx

"Jamaica deserved that win. They were hungrier and they were more determined," U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann said. "We have to fix it now."

"We have to do to do a better job with concentration," American goalkeeper Tim Howard said. "To give away six, seven free kicks in that area is not good enough."

"We need to figure out a way, whether it's more width, whether it's more crosses, whether it's just doing a better job of keeping the ball," Dempsey said.

"I thought there were moments in the game when we were controlling the tempo, but if I'm being completely honest it was too sloppy," said forward Hérculez Gómez, who was active but lacked service. "We weren't combining or connecting passes."

Amazing that Howard, Dempsey, and Gomez sound more like coaches than Klinsmann. He's probably thinking "we need to bring in a better pre-game motivational speaker."

Edit:
"You can blame me, no problem, it wouldn't be the first time," Klnsmann said. "There was no overconfidence. There was definitely some excitement coming out of Mexico City, but we expected a difficult match tonight. We watched the Jamaica team a couple times on tape, sent scouts down here. They have a very good side. They were very physical and hungry, and they got back into the game with a free kick. They won the game with another free kick. So you don't even need to talk about tactics because that has nothing to do with whether you played a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever. You lost the game because of two free kicks."
Okay, Klinsmann is a fucking idiot.

xbhaskarx

New York Times

Jurgen Klinsmann: This loss falls on the shoulders of Klinsmann more than it does any player. There is no way to expect any kind of meaningful attack or possession from a midfield that consists of Edu, Beckerman and Jones. He has now been the coach for more than a year and it was his goal to bring a more offensive approach to the team. Instead, the United States is playing the most conservative style and formation possible. There were no natural wide midfielders in the starting 11 and everything was geared up the middle with defensive-minded players. It was a mess and Klinsmann will have to adjust quickly. Rating: 3

Clydefrog

I don't miss Bob Bradley. He was given his extensive chance with the national team where he royally screwed up in crucial games. Klinsmann isn't doing better but he still has time to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom