• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Bradley was solid. I sure do miss being able to watch Serie A games, I would love to see him play at Roma.

daoster

A5Xc6KBCcAAGr6W.jpg

"if you don't look at it, it can't do anything to you"

Are you guys football fans, or do you just watch because the US are playing?

Most of the people who will tune into a World Cup Qualifier are into other soccer teams, though there are a lot of people who only watch when the WC rolls around.

Of course, not all of them support their domestic league, and therefore do not count as real soccer fans.

(Kidding!)

Clydefrog

Thoughts:

As a team, we played well. However, it should be expected to play well in CONCACAF qualifying against teams like Guatemala. The Guatemala goal was a big mistake by the CBs, but they recovered well. Howard messed up, too... but you can't expect your keeper to bail you out every 1v1.

Bradley had a great game. He expediently took control of the midfield... but some of his outward passes lead to giveaways. He needs to work on that. Williams was a strong companion yet he made a couple poor decisions going forward.

Gomez was outstanding. His effort to win the corner got us the tying goal early in the game. He kept that enthusiasm throughout the game. Eddie Johnson, to a lesser extent, did the same. His work on the wing was good but still lacked that final touch. I'm amazed that he is back in the picture (and got a HUGE laugh out of the fan with the "GROWN ASS MAN" Johnson poster), but I wish him nothing but the best.

and, yeah, that stanky-face Dempsey poster is hilarious. Shame that Dempsey had to dive late in the game to award himself a yellow card.

xbhaskarx

Yesterday in Bolivia's 4-1 WCQ win vs Uruguay, American CB Alejandro Melean was cap-tied to Bolivia. Holy Cross alum is an underrated player

Never heard of the guy...

shoplifter

See you all in Cbus for Dos a Cero part four. Apparently it's all but confirmed (or depending on rumor, Sunil even confirmed it to supporters after the match Tuesday.)

Planning to make as many hex matches as is reasonable.

Nesotenso

I bet most of the guys called up will be Euro based, unless the MLS guys are out of playoff contention.

When is the date for the Russia fixture ?

What about camp cupcake ? hopefully we some guys playing in Scandinavia called up like Mix and Gatt.

daoster

Great news!!! Hope he can recover to a level near the level he was playing before he got injured...poor guy, he has like the worst luck...

Also, hmm..

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
Source: Hexagonal countries could not reach an agreement on Hex schedule today. As a result, FIFA will organize the draw on November 7.

Slizz

What are the odds Holden returns to something close to his former self? Seems tough, he's been incredibly unlucky with injuries. I really, really liked him, he was a very good distributor from the mid-field to up top and played well for the national team.

shoplifter

My guess is that he physically won't be able to keep up with the speed of the game in Europe. Soccer IQ wise, he probably can.

Betting he ends up back in MLS, but I'd like to be wrong.

xbhaskarx

My guess is that he physically won't be able to keep up with the speed of the game in Europe. Soccer IQ wise, he probably can.

Betting he ends up back in MLS, but I'd like to be wrong.

I'm a lot more optimistic than this. This isn't like the injuries to Charlie Davies, or even Onyewu's knees which will never be the same. I don't see why he shouldn't be able to fully recover.

daoster

Interesting and long interview with Landon Donovon

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/1276?cc=5901

When asked if he expects to play at World Cup 2014, Donovan strives to be as transparent as possible. "I don't have the answer to that," he responded. "There are a lot of moving pieces: Will I be playing, period? Will I be part of the team? Will I be good enough to be wanted?" he continued. "If I had to guess I would say it is 50-50. I will have more clarity after I take a break."

If you guys haven't done so yet, you guys need to listen to the Men in Blazers podcast of which Roger Bennett (the guy who did the interview above) is one half of the equation. One of the funniest podcasts related to soccer, and really good. It's part of the Grantland Blog.

I'm a lot more optimistic than this. This isn't like the injuries to Charlie Davies, or even Onyewu's knees which will never be the same. I don't see why he shouldn't be able to fully recover.

Man I had high hopes for Davies. Dude scored at Azteca and against Spain...then the car wreck. Sucks.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The 2016 Copa America is going to be in the US. It will have 10 CONMEBOL teams and 6 CONCACAF. US and Mexico will be in it automatically.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
The 2016 Copa America is going to be in the US. It will have 10 CONMEBOL teams and 6 CONCACAF. US and Mexico will be in it automatically.

you forgot to add that the US was excluded from 2015's Copa America. Only Mexico and Japan were invited. not sure why the US was excluded tho if the next edition is gonna be a Panamerican Cup tourny.

daoster

Grant Wahl says it's not 100% confirmed yet:

But then there's that qualifier on a 2016 Copa América: If everything works out.
The fact of the matter is that CONMEBOL jumped the gun on the announcement Wednesday. Discussions have taken place between CONMEBOL, CONCACAF and U.S. Soccer, but while U.S. Soccer is interested in hosting the tournament, there remain some issues that haven't been settled

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ca-chris-wondolowski/index.html#ixzz2AKcKVWlM

gutshot

I really hope this happens. And I hope they go a step beyond and make it a regular thing. North and South America needs something on the level of the Euros, and having an expanded CONMEBOL/CONCACAF tournament every 4 years would be perfect. They could alternate host confederations (2020 could be in Brazil, for example, then 2024 in Mexico and so on) so that each confederation gets a "home field advantage". And by having it a month after the Euros, it would mean we'd have a great summer of international soccer every 2 years, instead of every 4.

I really hope this happens. And I hope they go a step beyond and make it a regular thing. North and South America needs something on the level of the Euros, and having an expanded CONMEBOL/CONCACAF tournament every 4 years would be perfect. They could alternate host confederations (2020 could be in Brazil, for example, then 2024 in Mexico and so on) so that each confederation gets a "home field advantage". And by having it a month after the Euros, it would mean we'd have a great summer of international soccer every 2 years, instead of every 4.

I agree with this post so hard it hurts

Subitai

It is too bad FIFA regional politics are/could be getting in the way of creating a really great television event.

daoster

It will happen. If there's one thing we can count on from these confederations, is their love for the $$, and a Pan-American COPA America will bring in that mulah, especially with the TV rights that would come with that.

I really hope this happens. And I hope they go a step beyond and make it a regular thing. North and South America needs something on the level of the Euros, and having an expanded CONMEBOL/CONCACAF tournament every 4 years would be perfect. They could alternate host confederations (2020 could be in Brazil, for example, then 2024 in Mexico and so on) so that each confederation gets a "home field advantage". And by having it a month after the Euros, it would mean we'd have a great summer of international soccer every 2 years, instead of every 4

Do you mean a great summer for our national teams? Or a great summer for viewing? Because I'd say in terms of viewing, just about every summer is pretty great for us already.

Year 0 - World Cup
Year 1 - Gold Cup & COPA
Year 2 - Euro Cup & Olympics
Year 3 - Confederations Cup & Gold Cup
Year 4 - World Cup

If you mean a great summer for our national teams to play in, I agree. It'll be great to have tougher opposition to our team and play in games that actually matter.

xbhaskarx

So the upcoming tournament schedule is

2013: World Cup qualifying hex, Gold Cup in US, Confederations Cup in Brazil (no US), U-20 World Cup in Turkey, U-17 World Cup in UAE, [AfCoN in South Africa]
2014: World Cup in Brazil
2015: Gold Cup that matters, U-20 World Cup in New Zealand, U-17 World Cup in Chile, Women's World Cup in Canada, [Copa America in Chile], [AfCoN in Morocco], [Asian Cup in Australia]
2016: Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Copa America in US, World Cup qualifying group stage, [Euro Cup]
2017: World Cup qualifying hex, Gold Cup, Confederations Cup in Russia, U-20 World Cup, U-17 World Cup, [AfCoN]
2018: World Cup in Russia

So the upcoming tournament schedule is

2013: World Cup qualifying hex, Gold Cup in US, Confederations Cup in Brazil (no US), U-20 World Cup in Turkey, U-17 World Cup in UAE, [AfCoN in South Africa]
2014: World Cup in Brazil
2015: Gold Cup that matters, U-20 World Cup in New Zealand, U-17 World Cup in Chile, Women's World Cup in Canada, [Copa America in Chile], [AfCoN in Morocco], [Asian Cup in Australia]
2016: Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Copa America in US, World Cup qualifying group stage, [Euro Cup]
2017: World Cup qualifying hex, Gold Cup, Confederations Cup in Russia, U-20 World Cup, U-17 World Cup, [AfCoN]
2018: World Cup in Russia

I want revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom