• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

It will happen. If there's one thing we can count on from these confederations, is their love for the $$, and a Pan-American COPA America will bring in that mulah, especially with the TV rights that would come with that.

Do you mean a great summer for our national teams? Or a great summer for viewing? Because I'd say in terms of viewing, just about every summer is pretty great for us already.

Year 0 - World Cup
Year 1 - Gold Cup & COPA
Year 2 - Euro Cup & Olympics
Year 3 - Confederations Cup & Gold Cup
Year 4 - World Cup

If you mean a great summer for our national teams to play in, I agree. It'll be great to have tougher opposition to our team and play in games that actually matter.

I meant viewing (but it would certainly be great for our national team to play in regularly as well). I don't consider the Gold Cup a very high-level tournament. I mean, I still watch it, since the US is in it. If they weren't though, I probably wouldn't bother. And I don't think the Copa America even airs up here. The Confed Cup is a decent tournament, but it's smaller and shorter than all the others.

A summer of the Euros plus an Americas cup, means we'd get to see (nearly) all of the world's best players and nations compete on an international level every 2 years instead of 4.

BOOM. This will change the landscape of soccer in America.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2012/10/26/EPL.aspx

So...ESPN and Fox are huge losers here.

What does FOX have now, other than Champion's League. Add to that they have the rights to the 2018 & 2022 World Cup, how will they stay relevant w/o EPL??

ESPN, after the 2014 World Cup, will only have the next couple of Euro Cups.

Wow.

Hope that leads to Fox Soccer bidding for Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. It'd be awesome to have access to more European soccer in general as a result of this.

Subitai

Hope that leads to Fox Soccer bidding for Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. It'd be awesome to have access to more European soccer in general as a result of this.
That would be sweet. Hope it works out that way, but I'm not sure how much it is worth to bring in games on Sat. morning while people are waiting for college gridiron.

xbhaskarx

Sources say NBC's bid would pay the EPL around $83M per year, an amount that would more than triple the $23M per year that Fox currently pays.

Wow.

"Sources say Fox and ESPN have been told that their joint bid was not accepted."

I would have preferred this, just because that covers so many potential channels, FSC, FSC+, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, even ABC... NBC means we probably just get one Premier League game at a time.

"The EPL last sold its rights three years ago to Fox Soccer, which wound up sub-licensing about 80 games per season to ESPN. The two submitted a similar bid this week. "

Meier

Unfortunately they lost those to beIN Sport already and I doubt the rights will be available for at least a few years. It's possible they could try and do some sort of sublicensing thing but who knows.

I was terrified that the article would say beIN was the frontrunner.. Time Warner still doesn't offer it. I do hope they figure out a way to keep some of the games on ESPN. The Ian Darke/Macca combo is BY FAR the best announcing team in the world IMO. Certainly the best we get here in the US.

"Sources say Fox and ESPN have been told that their joint bid was not accepted."

I would have preferred this, just because that covers so many potential channels, FSC, FSC+, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, even ABC... NBC means we probably just get one Premier League game at a time.

They also have NBC Sports Network or whatever Versus is now called. I imagine they could show a game or two on some of the other channels and undoubtedly Univision would get some.

ESPN3 is so amazing, any sport going away from it sucks. :( The fact Fox wants us to pay $20 a month to get Fox Soccer 2 Go on top of paying money to get FSC has always struck me as utterly disgusting. I'm glad they're going to get pushed out.

Meier

Does NBC have anything similar to ESPN3.com?

They used NBCOlympics.com which required you to login via your cable operator but was free once you'd done that. They also broadcast Sunday Night Football live through Yahoo as I recall. It'd be interesting to see how much they'd stream.. certainly if they're paying that big of an increase, there must be additional games and methods to broadcast them.

daoster

Unfortunately they lost those to beIN Sport already and I doubt the rights will be available for at least a few years. It's possible they could try and do some sort of sublicensing thing but who knows.

I was terrified that the article would say beIN was the frontrunner.. Time Warner still doesn't offer it. I do hope they figure out a way to keep some of the games on ESPN. The Ian Darke/Macca combo is BY FAR the best announcing team in the world IMO. Certainly the best we get here in the US.

La Liga is part of the beIN Sport, but Bundesliga is still with GOL (Dead channel walking!).

If I were FOX, I would most definitely push to get the Bundesliga (from what I hear, it's probably one of the more exciting league and also has a decent amount of Americans playing there), and try to steal La Liga or Serie A from BeIN the next time bids are up again.

Champion's League is popular and still a great asset to FOX, but it won't make up for the huge hole that the EPL leaves. Even if they manage to secure the rights to some more top level leagues, it won't nearly be as big as EPL. What a big loss for FOX.

Maybe we'll be watching some Championship games!

Nesotenso

The most important thing for the MLS is to find a way to get more games on TV. Hard to build the brand with only 2 games per week receiving national coverage.

I want ESPN to showcase more games every week. But in the fall it gets hard to compete with College Football and the NFL. Maybe MLS and ESPN can discuss the opportunity for one mid week game in addition to game of the week. I hope the new media rights means more money for MLS and US Soccer

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
La Liga is part of the beIN Sport, but Bundesliga is still with GOL (Dead channel walking!).

If I were FOX, I would most definitely push to get the Bundesliga (from what I hear, it's probably one of the more exciting league and also has a decent amount of Americans playing there), and try to steal La Liga or Serie A from BeIN the next time bids are up again.

Champion's League is popular and still a great asset to FOX, but it won't make up for the huge hole that the EPL leaves. Even if they manage to secure the rights to some more top level leagues, it won't nearly be as big as EPL. What a big loss for FOX.

Maybe we'll be watching some Championship games!

BeIN has Championship matches.

Unfortunately they lost those to beIN Sport already and I doubt the rights will be available for at least a few years. It's possible they could try and do some sort of sublicensing thing but who knows..

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a chance that this will end up providing beIN (or soccer fans) with a little more leverage to get cable providers to include it as a part of basic cable packages.

I guess it won't help Comcast folks like me, since they're owned by NBC. Still going to start having my wife hassle them about it every time she calls them to get them to lower our bill.

Subitai

I want ESPN to showcase more games every week. But in the fall it gets hard to compete with College Football and the NFL. Maybe MLS and ESPN can discuss the opportunity for one mid week game in addition to game of the week. I hope the new media rights means more money for MLS and US Soccer
Tues. and Wed. are open at least for now.

It could mean good news for NBCSN MLS broadcasts, too. I'm hearing some more afternoon MLS games of the week with EPL as a lead in.

gutshot

And Jozy scored twice for AZ...

Yet him and Klinnsman still haven't spoke since Klinsy left him off the squad during these latest qualifiers. Doesn't sound like things have improved there...

It also sounds like Donovan may be thinking about retiring from international play or at the very least taking a hiatus from it.

gutshot

From Grant Wahl on Twitter:

USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann will be at CONCACAF Hexagonal draw in Miami on Wed, 8 pm ET. Event will be livestreamed on CONCACAF website.

I guess they are just drawing to see the order the teams will play? Obviously, the group is already set.

daoster

The #USMNT will meet Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras & Panama in WCQ next year. Which game are you looking forward to most?

That is one tough group. Tough.

BLAH.

I'm tired. Those are all the team in the Hex

xbhaskarx

We want Mexico at home in a colder month so they can freeze their asses off in Columbus.
And Mexico away in a colder month as well...

gutshot

Does anyone have a link to the live stream of the draw? I'm on CONCACAF's disaster of a web site but don't see anything.

methodman

Banned
Yet him and Klinnsman still haven't spoke since Klinsy left him off the squad during these latest qualifiers. Doesn't sound like things have improved there...

It also sounds like Donovan may be thinking about retiring from international play or at the very least taking a hiatus from it.

wtf is going on with jozy

and the best us player ever is losing his passion. that hurts :(

shoplifter

Dude, the crowd will be berzerk just due to 9/11. It's going to be a very tough place to play in. It's easily the second best outcome.

xbhaskarx

The Hexagonal draw is complete. The U.S. MNT will open on Feb. 6 at Honduras. Locations, times, and TV info TBA in the coming weeks/months.

155327_10151257978878941_201104621_n.jpg

xbhaskarx

I'm all for calling up Chandler, as long as it's for a qualifier and he's cap tied.
If he's coming in for the Russia friendly, he better also be there at Honduras on Feb 6....

ya this is good news, so long as better news comes...wonder if Klinsmann said, "now or never" gotta get him re acclimated to the team at this point, either way, a good sign....also hoping we called up John Anthony Brooks too....enough of this Germany u-20 camp callups.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (6): Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Michael Bradley (Roma), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)
FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna)

Gyau and Gatt are in.

daoster

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (6): Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Michael Bradley (Roma), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)
FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna)

Gyau and Gatt are in.

Interesting that Agudelo is in it...hasn't he fallen off the map?

And demps isn't playing...Hmmmmm

xbhaskarx

I'm assuming part of this is to work some new guys into the pool or at least look at them for the 2013 Gold Cup. Regulars like Dempsey, Guzan, Cherundolo, Parkhurst, etc. don't need to be called in. Although this would have been a good opportunity to get Guzan a start, he deserves it.

Questionable: Agudelo, Edu, Goodson
It's good to see Gatt, Diskerud, Gyau, Boyd, and of course Timmy Chandler. With Johnson at LB and Chandler at RB we could be set at both fullback positions for the next two cycles.
CB is still the biggest weakness, with John Anthony Brooks playing regularly in the second division (more so than Gyau), I expected to see him on the list as well...

Nesotenso

I'm assuming part of this is to work some new guys into the pool or at least look at them for the 2013 Gold Cup. Regulars like Dempsey, Guzan, Cherundolo, Parkhurst, etc. don't need to be called in. Although this would have been a good opportunity to get Guzan a start, he deserves it.

Questionable: Agudelo, Edu, Goodson
It's good to see Gatt, Diskerud, Gyau, Boyd, and of course Timmy Chandler. With Johnson at LB and Chandler at RB we could be set at both fullback positions for the next two cycles.
CB is still the biggest weakness, with John Anthony Brooks playing regularly in the second division (more so than Gyau), I expected to see him on the list as well...

I agree with questionable ones. I am hoping Matt Besler and Omar Gonzalez get a shot and impress JK in January. If the squad makes it to 2014, I don't want to see Boca start and hopefully guys like Edu, Goodson and Beckerman don't get into the squad at all. Edu is struggling to get playing time at Stoke of all places.

xbhaskarx

I assume everyone has seen Altidore's goal in one of a dozen other places, but for anyone who has not, here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DCk8bwS0-jE

Too bad he sucks!

Two Gatt videos:
Yep, Molde FK's Josh Gatt has broken into the category of multiple-medal winners after coming off the bench at halftime to help seal a title repeat. He also becomes just the fourth American to repeat as top flight champion in Europe, following DaMarcus Beasley (who accomplished the feat with both PSV and Rangers), Maurice Edu and Oguchi Onyewu.

Gatt's post-game interview can be seen here and you can check out the scene just after the final whistle here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom