• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/soccerusa/id/574?cc=5901

Some good reading before tomorrow's game!

Eric Wynalda faced the Russian national team in its various incarnations four times in the course of his 106-cap international career. "Every time we played, it seemed like their jerseys had something different emblazoned on them," he remembered. "First they were CCCP [The Soviet Union]. Then it was CIS for Commonwealth of Independent States. Finally, their shirt said nothing and just had a patch on it."

The disintegration of the Iron Curtain may have catalyzed a hasty period of Soviet rebranding, but the challenge the team posed on the field stayed the same. "The players were machines," Wynalda recalled. "Everything about the Drago character in the Rocky movies was rooted in truth. On the field, this team was so well drilled, they looked like an army playing soccer."

xbhaskarx

"The players were machines," Wynalda recalled. "Everything about the Drago character in the Rocky movies was rooted in truth. On the field, this team was so well drilled, they looked like an army playing soccer."

I can see the resemblance...

Ivandrago.jpg

andrei-arshavin_1289953c.jpg

Clydefrog

^ LOL I was picturing goofy Arshavin too when he mentioned that.

But I don't think Arshavin is in the roster for this friendly... only machines!

xbhaskarx

That article is actually quite good...

wow:
Bandov said. "They would fly the players in on match day and have no practice. We'd just meet in the locker room and play without tactics and most of the guys not even in their best positions."

Mausser, who would later be scouted by Chelsea, was stark in his conclusion. "Ultimately, even our own soccer federation never expected us to win. We wanted so desperately to prove them wrong because they were such a nickel-and-dime operation they would tell us before the games, 'Just keep the loss respectable -- a 4-0 or 5-0 -- and whatever you do make sure you give us your jerseys back.'" he said. "They were obsessed with the jerseys because they only had one set. They worried about the equipment much more than the score."

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The Russia game is in 75 minutes. I'll post the lineup.

Nov. 14, 2012 @ 10 a.m. ET
ESPN2, ESPN3, Univision Deportes

Howard; Chandler, Cameron, Bocanegra (capt), F. Johnson; Williams, Jones, Bradley, Gatt; Gomez, Altidore

Gatt gets the start.

I hope that isn't supposed to be a 4-4-2. Who would be playing as a LM out of Jones/Bradley/Williams? Williams has looked lost when Klinnsman has played out of position. It would be a shame to go back to that after he starting doing well in his natural position the past few USMNT games. I'm hoping it is more of a 4-3-3.

Pre

I don't have class for two more hours, so I'll be able to watch most of the match. I'll have to shower at the half.

Excited to see Gatt. Hopefully Mix will get some action in the second half.

xbhaskarx

I'm like ten minutes behind, Russia just scored... Klinsmann back to three DMs, Gatt giving up corner kicks... Oh great and now Bocanegra is injured.

Nesotenso

Your in russia, wtf take a chance like that u dumbass
USA finishing is horrific of the highest order.

Altidore has been disappointing. US lacks finishing. Jones, Williams shouldn't be on the field at the same time. CBs are still a problem. Goodson has never impressed.

Nesotenso

Howard still pissed at Goodson.

again questions at CB. midfield should be better with Donovan and guys like Zusi who is better on the left side than Jones with crosses. I don't see guys like Goodson or Edu making 2014 if JK is smart.

Good things: Bradley's strike and his form with Roma. Dude has been good for them whenever he plays. The gold cup squad should be most of the u-23 players like Diskeruud, Boyd, Agudelo etc. Some of them can and probably will go to Brazil.

xbhaskarx

So my two favorite players scored the goals, not bad... but the problems remain the same as they have been all year, which is evident to pretty much everyone but the one person who matters: CB issues and using three DMs at the same time.

daoster

USA to play Germany in May next year!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...o-play-2-friendlies-in-may,-june-2013?cc=5901

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Germany soccer's governing body says its national team will play an exhibition against the United States on May 29 as part of a two-game tour, a match that will pit Juergen Klinsmann against former assistant Joachim Loew.

Loew took over Germany when Klinsmann quit after leading the team to third place at the 2006 World Cup. Klinsmann has been coach of the American team for 1 1/2 years.

The venue has yet to be determined. Germany will play a second exhibition in the U.S. on June 2 against an unidentified opponent.

The Germans are likely to be without several stars. Mesut Oezil and Sami Khedira are on Real Madrid, which plays its final league match on June 1 or 2.

Klinsmann's team will be preparing for World Cup qualifiers at Jamaica on June 7 and home against Panama four days later.

That'll be fun.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
thanks for the heads up, buying as we speak

....actually I'm not getting free shipping....it's 19.99 GBP, not exactly free...

weird, it worked for me last night. they're definitely doing a free shipping promo right now, banner across the top on the homepage: http://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/

maybe try adding something else to the cart and then adding the dempsey shirt? *shrug*

xbhaskarx

Roma beat Torino 2-0 for their second shutout of the season, Bradley completed 96% of his passes

Also, this pic from a few days ago is awesome:
bUlMf.jpg

xbhaskarx

video highlights: U-17 MNT vs. Brazil: Highlights - Nov. 28, 2012

U.S. U-17 MNT Battles Brazil to 4-4 Draw on Wednesday in Opener of 2012 Nike International Friendlies
The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team opened the 2012 Nike International Friendlies with a 4-4 draw against Brazil’s U-17 MNT on Wednesday at Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
Midfielder Rubio Rubin factored into the USA scoring column from start to finish with two goals and two assists, including a back heel pass to Corey Baird and a setup of Ahinga Selemani’s second-half goal.

BRA - Robert (Indio) 21st minute
USA – Rubio Rubin (Christopher Lema) 29
USA – Alan Winn (Rubio Rubin) 43
USA – Rubio Rubin (Corey Baird) 57
BRA – Boschilia 67
BRA – Boschilia 79
USA – Ahinga Selemani (Rubio Rubin) 81
BRA – Murilo (Indio) 84

video highlights: U-17 MNT vs. Turkey: Highlights - Nov. 30, 2012

Second-Half Subs Winn, Rubin Spark U-17 MNT to 4-1 Win Against Turkey
Second-half substitutes Rubio Rubin and Alan Winn helped vault the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team to a 4-1 win against Turkey with a goal and an assist each on Friday night at Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
Rubin scored his third goal in the last two matches and added another assist to the two he earned on Wednesday during a 4-4 draw against Brazil.

USA – Mukwelle Akale (Rolando Muñoz ) 24th minute
TUR – Enes Ünal (Firat Suçsuz) 44
USA – Shaquell Moore (penalty kick) 71
USA – Rubio Rubin (Alan Winn) 82
USA – Alan Winn (Rubio Rubin) 85

U.S. U-17 MNT Falls 4-3 to Portugal in Finale of 2012 Nike International Friendlies

The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team came from behind on two occasions but fell to Portugal 4-3 in the finale of the 2012 Nike International Friendlies at Premier Sports Campus.
Portugal took the championship with a 2-0-1 record (7 points) over the three-game event, while the USA finished third at 1-1-1 (4 points). Brazil earned second place (1-0-2, 5 points) with a 6-2 victory in Sunday’s earlier match.

POR – José Postiga (Sergio Ribeiro) 12th minute
USA – Ahinga Selemani (John Requejo Jr.) 20
POR – José Postiga (Sergio Ribeiro) 40
POR – José Postiga 45+1
USA – Peter Schropp (Christopher Lema) 49
USA – Alan Winn (Junior Flores) 62
POR – João Lima (Ricardo Carvalho) 84

xbhaskarx

I like the idea, but maybe that game makes more sense as the last friendly before the World Cup (assuming both England and the US qualify), like when we played Australia in South Africa. Plenty of fans from both teams will be in Brazil for the World Cup, whereas neither country is involved in the Confederations Cup next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom