• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

Costa Rica asks FIFA for replay of US match

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) -- Costa Rica is asking soccer's governing body for a replay of Friday's World Cup qualifier against the United States, won 1-0 by the Americans during a snowstorm in Commerce City, Colo.
Costa Rican Football Federation Treasurer Rolando Villalobos said in a statement Sunday that documentation had been sent to FIFA to back the claim, including photographs and videos.

Was Ian Darke wrong when he said the referee asked both teams if they wanted to continue play? It certainly didn't look like they protested the decision to play on whilst on the field.. seems kinda like a bitch move to make a protest after their loss.

jtb

Banned
I highly doubt FIFA will go through with a replay; Costa Rica probably know it's a symbolic gesture, nothing more. If they didn't replay France-Ireland or that one time Argentina got slaughtered in Bolivia because they didn't have their altitude gear, no way they replay a game just because there was a bit of snow.

daoster

I highly doubt FIFA will go through with a replay; Costa Rica probably know it's a symbolic gesture, nothing more. If they didn't replay France-Ireland or that one time Argentina got slaughtered in Bolivia because they didn't have their altitude gear, no way they replay a game just because there was a bit of snow.

In fact, I actually think FIFA may do it. You know, just to embarrass the US. Sounds like something Sepp Blatter and FIFA would do.

shoplifter

In fact, I actually think FIFA may do it. You know, just to embarrass the US. Sounds like something Sepp Blatter and FIFA would do.

If they do, I really hope it opens the floodgates for replays because 'it was too hot here in Qatar'. That and it would be hilarious considering DJ Seppy Sepp constantly saying that the US/MLS should be on a Fall->Spring schedule.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If they do, I really hope it opens the floodgates for replays because 'it was too hot here in Qatar'. That and it would be hilarious considering DJ Seppy Sepp constantly saying that the US/MLS should be on a Fall->Spring schedule.

Just build domes. :eek:

gutshot

Didn't Costa Rica say during the match they were fine with continuing? Thats what the announcers said IIRC

The announcers were just interpreting the players' body language. It did look like the players wanted to continue, but according to reports, the CR federation head was trying to get the game suspended during play.

Slizz

The announcers were just interpreting the players' body language. It did look like the players wanted to continue, but according to reports, the CR federation head was trying to get the game suspended during play.

Now if they suspended it in the 54th minute with the US up 1-0, what would happen? Pick up from that point at a later date or just completely replay the game?

gutshot

Now if they suspended it in the 54th minute with the US up 1-0, what would happen? Pick up from that point at a later date or just completely replay the game?

They used to replay the whole game, but FIFA changed the rule within the last year so that it would be picked up at a later date, with the same score and at the exact minute it was suspended.

Slizz

They used to replay the whole game, but FIFA changed the rule within the last year so that it would be picked up at a later date, with the same score and at the exact minute it was suspended.

Hmmm, yeah they are definitely going to make the US replay the whole game now. Just to totally fuck with us lol

daoster

Hmmm, yeah they are definitely going to make the US replay the whole game now. Just to totally fuck with us lol

All I know is....replay or no, when we go to Costa Rica for that game, it'll be explosive!

Tomorrow's game should be fuuun.....Mexico needs a result as badly as I have...but...if the US gets a positive result (read: a draw), then I will be happy.

For some reason, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Askani

Did the CR team not adamantly ask for stoppage to let the game continue so they could protest it later if they didn't get the result? I know the head of the federation was asking but he's not the players and/or coaches on the field with the ref. If CR took the lead in the game the US didn't really have any grounds for a protest since they wanted to continue first. CR was already down early and well before the actual sending off of the players to clear the field in the second half. It helps CR to play the full snow game because they can protest the whole thing and not have to replay being down 1-0? Just speculating, I have no real idea of course.

Do we have any kind of projected time frame for an official ruling of the protest?

EDIT :::::

Our last game in this group is in October. Could they and would they potentially wait that long to make a call about this?

daoster

Our last game in this group is in October. Could they and would they potentially wait that long to make a call about this?

I don't think we'll have to wait that long, but then again...never underestimate the buffoonery of Sepp Blatter and FIFA.

So for U-20 World Cup....US is in a group with Spain, France, and an African team (tbd). Interesting.

EDIT: Doh, beaten.

shoplifter

18DPED9.png

CR probably fucked, unless FIFA wants to reverse it's own rules. Not that they never do that.

shoplifter

Welp, that ended quickly:

FIFA received a letter via email from the Costa Rica FA on 24 March 2013 with regards to the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier played on 22 March between USA and Costa Rica.

FIFA has examined the content of the letter and, taking into consideration article 14, paragraph 4 of the 2014 FIFA World Cup regulations, has confirmed that the conditions established in the regulations for an official protest have not been met by the Costa Rica FA.

Therefore, the result of the match played on 22 March stands and is considered as valid.

NH Apache

Banned
And for suckers like me stuck at work, streaming on ESPN3 or WatchESPN if you got it.

Thanks for this, AZE is tied with Port right now.

Getting my whole team together to watch the game tonight, and quietly weep when we lose.

I think we are 4 of possible 90 points all time when playing in Mexico.

Edit: Not tied anymore.

Clydefrog

Considering Mexico's current form and the fact that they’re playing USA at home, they are under huge pressure to get the 3 points tonight. If we can sustain the pressure, I think it will be a good game. Otherwise, it might be a blowout. We can all take solace that any points gained in Azteca are truly “bonus points”.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Considering Mexico's current form and the fact that they’re playing USA at home, they are under huge pressure to get the 3 points tonight. If we can sustain the pressure, I think it will be a good game. Otherwise, it might be a blowout. We can all take solace that any points gained in Azteca are truly “bonus points”.

I almost didn't want to watch the game tonight because I automatically assumed we're going to lose. Anything can happen tonight and I'm getting pumped about it.

Daigoro

And for suckers like me stuck at work, streaming on ESPN3 or WatchESPN if you got it.

nope. blackout (unless you have ESPN linked to your cable TV account. the stream for that was totally fucked for the CR game though. ESPN are trying to make that app useless it appears).

you'll need to find a stream. that or Univision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom