• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;51177780 said:
true. But, It's sad that as US fans we are ok with this.

And get to breathe that fresh, fresh air.

Okay with what? Why should we not be happy about winning? We practically have a whole squad out injured.

Dirty americans, snow against a caribbean team for shame... :p

Yikes! Someone needs geography lessons. :-S

This match sucked. Team US isn't at fault, but you just know if the US was down 1-0 at half time or if Mexico was playing against the US, FIFA's match commissioners would've suspended it in a second. Pretty embarrassing.

Oh well. I think Costa Rica put in a great effort, but it's just too much to ask under these ridiculous conditions.

Yikes! Someone needs geography lessons. :-S

This match sucked. Team US isn't at fault, but you just know if the US was down 1-0 at half time or if Mexico was playing against the US, FIFA's match commissioners would've suspended it in a second. Pretty embarrassing.

Oh well. I think Costa Rica put in a great effort, but it's just too much to ask under these ridiculous conditions.

The commissioner did try to suspend the match. my understanding was that the ref asked both teams if they wanted to play on. if they did stop, the weather would have been even worse tomorrow.. so?

The commissioner did try to suspend the match. my understanding was that the ref asked both teams if they wanted to play on. if they did stop, the weather would have been even worse tomorrow.. so?

Actually, as far as our local reporters at the game said, apparently the ref was the one that wanted to suspend the game, but the commissioner said the match would finish one way or another. I understand the difficult weather conditions, be it today or tomorrow, but this is simply no way for a qualifiers match to be played.

It amazes me that such a bad decision was made by the US Federation. It's the last one I would think would make such a stupid move in CONCACAF.

daegan

Actually, as far as our local reporters at the game said, apparently the ref was the one that wanted to suspend the game, but the commissioner said the match would finish one way or another. I understand the difficult weather conditions, be it today or tomorrow, but this is simply no way for a qualifiers match to be played.

It amazes me that such a bad decision was made by the US Federation. It's the last one I would think would make such a stupid move in CONCACAF.

You should've seen the conditions in Columbus during the last Hex when we played Mexico. I was there. It was terrifying. Painful hail/rain/snow.

Nesotenso

nobody can foresee winter storms months in advance. Denver got the game because we play at Azteca on Tuesday. The venue was chosen because of the alititude.

nobody can foresee winter storms months in advance.
That's more than obvious, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't there be a really high chance of this happening anyway? Because of the place and time of the year. I say this because I've read stuff from people in the US mentioning this in a couple of different places.

daegan

That's more than obvious, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't there be a really high chance of this happening anyway? Because of the place and time of the year. I say this because I've read stuff from people in the US mentioning this in a couple of different places.

It's more important to have the crowd on your side than to have good weather. It's probably hard to get this if you live in literally any other country, but there are large parts of the US where depending on who we're playing, we effectively are not the home team. It's why we only play friendlies against Mexico in CA and TX and take them to OH when it counts.

Nesotenso

nobody can say that with certainty. below average temperatures for this time of year in 2013 and above avg. in 2012.

the game should have been called off either earlier today or yesterday. everyone knew a blizzard was coming, it is simply negligent that the game went forward. the referee should not have been put in a situation where he had to choose between ending a game in the middle of a blizzard or listening to the players and thousands of fans to keep on playing.

i was more concerned with all of the fans having to drive home in that weather than anything. i hope they were safe.

shira

130323003807-jermaine-jones-single-image-cut.jpg

Great pic

alejob

I like when Twellman says something stupid Darke just stays silent. I can imagine him turning his head and looking at Twellman with an annoyed face.

Funny how Twellman kept getting asked if the match should be stopped. He kept saying no way. Then the other guy asked him if the match should be stopped if Costa Rica were up 1 - 0. He still said no. A few seconds later: "I lied".

daoster

Lol. You may over estimate the federation.

But yeah.. Yesterday was not pretty.. Props to Costa Rica for even continuing on and we got the result which was all that mattered... If we can get a draw at Mexico I'll be happy

Askani

What are the potential repercussions of a protest? Anything? All the articles just say they are filing one but none say what could come of it.

I don't get these complaints. I mean, the US team is no better suited for snow and they played on the same field. It also looked like the CR players wanted to keep playing on at least from the highlight I saw.

NoRéN

Coata Rica plans to file complaint with FIFA regarding the conditions for yesterdays game...

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?s...page-us&lang=EN&section=soccernetfrontpage-us

Gulati said the U.S. chose to play the game in Colorado in preparation for the altitude in Tuesday's game in Mexico City, and not to put its Central American opponent at a disadvantage with uncomfortable weather.

Should have made the team smoke a pack of cigarettes before the game in preparation for the air quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom