• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
MURICA

jozy-amerrricun.gif

That's great :lol

During my short commute to work today I tuned my radio to one of the local AM radio sports shows. I caught them beginning a segment about US Soccer! The host started it off with “now I said I wouldn’t spend hours on this so I won’t but…” and he mentions the US win over Bosnia yesterday. He plays the audio commentary from Jozy’s three goals and says, “this is America’s problem. We’ve never had a Lebron or a Beckham in soccer. Jozy might be it though.” I was thinking oh god don’t do this to Jozy… not now.

Then he proceeds to take ONE call from a listener. The listener says “soccer is fine but it needs a few changes… one being that it needs a shot clock.” And the fucking radio host agreed with him. Then the host continues with “plus, it’s too complicated! There are so many cups… Confederations Cup, League Cup, Apple Cup, Premier League, Copenhagen Cup… I just know the World Cup and what I had in my cup last night! Americans are too busy for all of this! We work all the time in this country; we don’t take 4 hour lunches and smoke cigarettes underhand.” What the hell?! Then that was it! He went back to talking about the Dodgers… IGNORAMUS

I want to think you're joking, but I know people who think like this.

Nesotenso

During my short commute to work today I tuned my radio to one of the local AM radio sports shows. I caught them beginning a segment about US Soccer! The host started it off with “now I said I wouldn’t spend hours on this so I won’t but…” and he mentions the US win over Bosnia yesterday. He plays the audio commentary from Jozy’s three goals and says, “this is America’s problem. We’ve never had a Lebron or a Beckham in soccer. Jozy might be it though.” I was thinking oh god don’t do this to Jozy… not now.

Then he proceeds to take ONE call from a listener. The listener says “soccer is fine but it needs a few changes… one being that it needs a shot clock.” And the fucking radio host agreed with him. Then the host continues with “plus, it’s too complicated! There are so many cups… Confederations Cup, League Cup, Apple Cup, Premier League, Copenhagen Cup… I just know the World Cup and what I had in my cup last night! Americans are too busy for all of this! We work all the time in this country; we don’t take 4 hour lunches and smoke cigarettes underhand.” What the hell?! Then that was it! He went back to talking about the Dodgers… IGNORAMUS

sigh

daoster

Any noteworthy Bosnian media in the press box reactions from a bit later in the game?

Glad to see you back!

:Salutes:

Yeah, I think this is a big hamper to the further growth of the popularity here in the states. I live in the Socal/LA region, and I regularly listen to the local ESPN radio station, and there is very, very little talk about soccer.

LA, home of the freaking reigning MLS champions, and it's the off season of the NBA, yet half of the talk is still about the freaking Lakers. The US just won the Confederations Cup, they're on a great run right now, yet not even a peep. Donovan, the FACE OF US SOCCER, plays here, and yet they don't even talk about it.

Hell, some of the hosts even straight up say, "soccer sucks so I won't talk about it."

It's infuriating. Even if the "mothership" ESPN wants to push soccer, if the local ESPN affiliates don't help push the sport...it's kind of a moot point =\

That said dude... the Dodgers are on a fucking tear right now!

The shot clock thing is stupid though. One thing I will say though is that shootouts are also fucking stupid.

I was listening to that show as well. I almost fell out of my seat laughing when he said shot clock.

I wonder how much Omar Gonzalez is getting paid to stay on in LA as a DP. Guess we'll find out sooner or later when the player's association leaks salaries. Supposedly Klinsmann said it was fine if he wanted to stay in MLS, though Gonzalez is getting pushed by a lot of guys for those CB spots right now.

Atlagev

I don't have time for people like this anymore. Either you get and like the sport or you don't.

hom3land

I will say though is that shootouts are also fucking stupid.

Right there with you. Play until someone scores. Favorite part about nhl playoffs. So much tension as each period goes by seeing which players have the endurance and which cannot keep up. Shootouts are just lame.

xbhaskarx

Then he proceeds to take ONE call from a listener. The listener says “soccer is fine but it needs a few changes… one being that it needs a shot clock.” And the fucking radio host agreed with him.

He went back to talking about the Dodgers… IGNORAMUS

The best part of is that baseball games are like twice as long as soccer games, and baseball actually does need a pitch clock.

gutshot

I don't have time for people like this anymore. Either you get and like the sport or you don't.

It's pretty much the older, out-of-touch generation that feels like this any more. The 30-and-under crowd are all becoming soccer fans. In 10-15 years, when this generation starts taking over on TV and radio you will likely see an increase in intelligent soccer discourse over the airwaves.

Clydefrog

I wonder how much Omar Gonzalez is getting paid to stay on in LA as a DP. Guess we'll find out sooner or later when the player's association leaks salaries. Supposedly Klinsmann said it was fine if he wanted to stay in MLS, though Gonzalez is getting pushed by a lot of guys for those CB spots right now.

It's probably good for Gonzalez's wallet but probably bad for his chances with the US team. Having said that, Besler is in the same league and he's almost a lock for starting CB. I wonder if Donovan convinced Gonzalez to stay instead of going abroad ;P

MLS contracts are so weird. In what world is Omar Gonzalez a DP man..damn.

They need to start upping the DP limit too. If they want an influx of talent they've got to step it up.

NoRéN

That's AM for ya!

Shot clock is obviously stupid, but it really does feel like soccer is in an era equivalent to basketball pre-shot clock - in a situation where unattractive play is rewarded by the rules of the game. I wish we'd try some rules changes to promote the kind of attacking, fluid soccer we all enjoy to watch, but I'm afraid the purists will shoot any such suggestion down.

Shot clock is obviously stupid, but it really does feel like soccer is in an era equivalent to basketball pre-shot clock - in a situation where unattractive play is rewarded by the rules of the game. I wish we'd try some rules changes to promote the kind of attacking, fluid soccer we all enjoy to watch, but I'm afraid the purists will shoot any such suggestion down.

It's like we've warped back to a 1990s MLS discussions here.

hom3land

Half court violations are the answer!

just kidding

It's like we've warped back to a 1990s MLS discussions here.

Then maybe we were too quick to abandon some of the experimentation that defined that era (fuck shootouts, though).

One thing that I think MLS really could do better to encourage beautiful, etertaining soccer is make a conscious effort to have refs call games closer, protecting creative players and punishing thuggery (though it's probably impossible to avoid rewarding diving with this emphasis). We all like to make fun of how central and south American players get a foul the moment they're breathed on, but I think there isn't any doubt that that has improved the technical prowess and beauty of the soccer that those regions produce.

I'll leave more exotic rules changes designed to prevent bunkering and putting ten men behind the ball (require a certain number of players to remain in the attacking half at all times?) to people more intelligent than I.

One thing that I think MLS really could do better to encourage beautiful, etertaining soccer is make a conscious effort to have refs call games closer, protecting creative players and punishing thuggery (though it's probably impossible to avoid rewarding diving with this emphasis). We all like to make fun of how central and south American players get a foul the moment they're breathed on, but I think there isn't any doubt that that has improved the technical prowess and beauty of the soccer that those regions produce.
It's strange that they made this a point of emphasis about a year ago(?) and since then things have regressed to where they were before. I completely agree that they need to protect the players, and it's been tough to watch so many bad tackles this year.

Meier

anyone excited for jozy at sunderland tomororw?

to find out what channel the match is going to be on go here

http://www.nbcsports.com/extratime

type in your cable provider and zip code and you're all set. Should be free to all nbcsports providers!

Nice find! It's been a little difficult to get a full explanation of where the other games would be. I get NBC Sports Network as a part of my package, so does that mean I will get the other channels too? Or is there something specific I have to subscribe to? Will every single game be available for streaming on the Live Extra website and iPhone app?

Nice find! It's been a little difficult to get a full explanation of where the other games would be. I get NBC Sports Network as a part of my package, so does that mean I will get the other channels too? Or is there something specific I have to subscribe to?

i think it's free.

someone clarify this? but i'm pretty sure i'm right.

Askani

It's one of the many and varied reasons I don't listen to Jim Rome anymore. Like when he said he doesn't claim a team in any sport. He just likes sports. That seems dumb to me. You're not invested in ANY team in ANY sport? And I don't give a fuck about what horse you're running in what race. However his ban on soccer talk is shit and seals the deal/ Compounded by the fact that he'll spend 20 minutes telling me all the ways he's not going to talk about soccer no matter what no matter what happens.

Slizz

I'm just amazed there isn't some extra pay component a la Fox Soccer 2 Go. It all feels too good to be true! I had heard about "Extra Time" and assumed it was different to "Live Extra" but they reall do all show up on the schedule on the iPhone app too. This is amazing! I guess I can't cut the cord on cable after all if I want to keep these beautiful legal streams.

I just sent a mass text to friends to DL the mobile app :lol

I'm just amazed there isn't some extra pay component a la Fox Soccer 2 Go. It all feels too good to be true! I had heard about "Extra Time" and assumed it was different to "Live Extra" but they reall do all show up on the schedule on the iPhone app too. This is amazing! I guess I can't cut the cord on cable after all if I want to keep these beautiful legal streams.
Seriously.

Clydefrog

Yeah, I'm just waiting to go home after work tonight to DVR some games and see that those NBC "live extra" channels cost extra... I'm waiting for it!

xbhaskarx

I just checked the DirecTV app and it has the following games listed:

EPL channels:

491: Norwich City vs Everton 7am PST
492: Sunderland vs Fulham 7am PST
493: West Ham vs Cardiff City 7am PST
494: West Brom vs Southampton 7am PST
495: nothing

Regular TV:

Saturday
NBC: Swansea vs Man U
NBC Sports: Liverpool vs Stoke City
NBC Sports: Arsenal vs Aston Villa

Sunday
NBC Sports: Crystal Palace vs Tottenham
NBC Sports: Chelsea vs Hull City

Monday
NBC Sports: Man City vs Newcastle

Meier

They just put up a FAQ and confirmed no extra cost. Amazing. Seriously, read the whole link -- the amount of coverage is fucking incredible. I am on my phone or I'd quote more.

And games that are not being shown on NBC and NBCSN may be available for you to watch on your televisions via Premier League Live Extra, which is a package of overflow television channels available at no extra cost for each of their customers who receives NBC Sports Network.

What is the difference between “Live Extra” and “Extra Time”?

Both of these products provide fans a way to watch as many games as possible. What differentiates them is which devices one uses.
NBC Sports Live Extra allows you to watch every game online at NBCSports.com/liveextra and on iOS and Android mobile and tablet devices with the free NBC Sports Live Extra app. Extra Time is only on your TV.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/how-and-where-to-watch-the-barclays-premier-league/

xbhaskarx

Comcast Xfinity Not Ready In All Markets To Offer Premier League Extra Time

A substantial number of Comcast Xfinity customers will have access to Premier League Extra Time this weekend for the launch of the 2013/14 season. However, despite NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) being owned by NBC Universal, which is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation, not all Comcast markets will have the overflow channels available for opening weekend.

It’s disappointing news for soccer fans who presumed that since Comcast owns NBCSN that 100% complete access to Premier League Extra Time would be a given. From what we understand, Comcast’s national head office is on board but the rollout of Premier League Extra Time via Comcast’s On Demand feature is done on a region-by-region basis, hence the delay in all Comcast markets being ready for the August 17 launch. It comes down to a technology hurdle. For TV providers such as DirecTV, any changes they make to their programming offerings are immediately updated nationwide.

lol

gutshot

@ESPNFC said:
Sunderland team to play Fulham: Westwood, Celustka, Colback, Roberge, O’Shea, Larsson, Cabral, Johnson, Giaccherini, Sessegnon, Altidore.

Jozy gets the start today. Hopefully he can carry over his form from Weds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom